Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsetse0510 View Post
    How much of an impact does Gerald Henderson...rotting at the end of an NBA bench play a role in Kyle's decision to return?
    Well probably not much. Brown (the coach for the Bobcats) has historically (it the most literal sense of that word, 9th NBA team) not played rookies very much. I doubt that had anything to do with it because they have much different styles of playing also.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsetse0510 View Post
    How much of an impact does Gerald Henderson...rotting at the end of an NBA bench play a role in Kyle's decision to return?
    None. Though I am sure Gerald at times has wondered what could have been if he stayed one more year.

Kyle's situation is completely different. G was a high guaranteed pick last year in a weak draft (he got picked before any of the Heels did, just a little tidbit). This year there are a lot of underclassmen making the jump and I think Kyle simply weighed his options for a late 1st round pick vs a potential lottery next year.

If Kyle had decided to enter the draft I would have sent many thanks along with him and wishes for a great professional career. Now that will be delayed until 2011. I do think, as others have mentioned, that Kyle will add something to next year's team that is more important than his basketball skills. That is senior leadership. Kyle is a warrior and I think he can show the way to the new players.

As far as as another championship next year is concerned, a championship is a gift of the gods. We have as good a chance as anyone and I will cheer hard, but I will never expect it against the field. Let's enjoy the journey. It should be fun.

Go Duke!!

With Kyrie wearing No.1 and Nolan wearing No.2 as our starting backcourt I expect a ton of "1-2" punch references and the like

Not that he wouldn't have anyway, but now Kyle will graduate on-time and contribute to an important measure of Duke scholastic and athletic excellence!

lives near a number of big white buildings
    Once again Kyle has made us proud of him, this time for his good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    There is one moment in the UNC game at Cameron that shows it. Watch the replays of the last two points in the game, when Nolan throws an oop to Plumlee. You will see that Kyle throws his arms out, his head back and is in basketball bliss. It just looks like pure unadulterated joy and excitement at being there and on the floor with teammates performing at such a high level. It is one of my favorite images of last season.
    Just watched that play and Kyle's reaction a short time ago. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    And IC is celebrating with one of the most classless threads I've ever seen. Don't think I've ever openly hoped for career failure or injury of a Carolina player, nor have I seen that on DBR, but it's nice for IC to confirm everything we all think about the louts over there.
    IC is the graveyard of civilization. As I've said before- visiting there is like volunteering for food poisoning.

Quote Originally Posted by Verga3 View Post
    Welcome back, Kyle!
    He didn't go anywhere...

So excited to have Kyle for his senior year. I think next season is gonna be a really enjoyable ride. Great, great news!!!

I really needed some good news today...it's been rough.

I see opposing players coming out next season...talking to their coaches..."he's not human he's like a piece of iron"
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

wow, just retire his jersey now. I admit this was a tad more surprising than expected.

Oh Kyle, you magnificent man! I can't get over how awesome this is!!!

Thank you for making the good decision, to come back. You get a great spot in next year's draft, and at the same time you have a chance to go back to the NC with NS and KI.

The next Christian Laettner??? Hmmmmm...

Thumbs up 2 demons have been exorcised...

I was just thinking of how the two most disappointing Duke-days of the past year have officially been made right:

1) When G declared last year, I was pretty sad. And I admit, I may have loved him a little less for it even though I completely understood his decision. However, we won a championship the following year and THEN he helped convince Kyle to stay for his senior year, giving us one of the most talented rosters we've ever fielded? I'm officially back in love. I just wish he could have been part of the championship team.

2) I'm still not over the slap-in-the-face commitment of He Who Must Not Be Named. However, when you step back and look at it... say you've got Duke without Singler and UNC without Barnes. Both programs are trying to land their "recruit" for one year. Both get their guys. Who would you rather have, a senior (and familiar with the system/teammates) Singler, or a freshman Barnes?

Really, we scored a bigger recruit tonight than UNC did on Skypegate 2009. It doesn't feel like it, but that's really what it is.

Life is good for the Blue Devils right now!

Quote Originally Posted by jdj4duke View Post
    There is one moment in the UNC game at Cameron that shows it. Watch the replays of the last two points in the game, when Nolan throws an oop to Plumlee. You will see that Kyle throws his arms out, his head back and is in basketball bliss. It just looks like pure unadulterated joy and excitement at being there and on the floor with teammates performing at such a high level. It is one of my favorite images of last season.
    Bliss.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Look of a CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by Relics View Post
    Bliss.
    Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    1) When G declared last year, I was pretty sad. And I admit, I may have loved him a little less for it even though I completely understood his decision. However, we won a championship the following year and THEN he helped convince Kyle to stay for his senior year, giving us one of the most talented rosters we've ever fielded? I'm officially back in love. I just wish he could have been part of the championship team.
    I apologize if I missed this (I really try to read "everything")... but did G actually help convince Kyle? Did he talk with Kyle? or is it just what "appears" to have happened with G?

West Coast Game?

OK, I'm officially hoping Duke will schedule a non-conf game out west somewhere...wherever it is Duke fans from Oregon will be fighting to get tix.

I was hoping it could be vs. Oregon in their new arena, but construction is delayed and it won't open until January...too bad, it would have been fun to see Kyle play against his brother.

Along the same line...

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I have to wonder if the apparent offensive prowess of incoming freshman Kyrie Irving had something to do with it. Kyle has never played with a true drive and kick pg nor a pg that initiates an up-tempo offense. This could give Kyle some nice spot up looks which has been one of his strongest suits.

This may also benefit guys like Hairston and Felix in the long run as well as they won't have to be thrown into the fire right away. Get your "why don't Carrick and Josh get more pt?" responses ready. This is of course an enormous benefit to the rest of the guys on the team b/c while being such a great player on both sides of the court, Kyle is also an excellent glue guy. Kyrie and Seth are going to love distributing to this guy on both the wing and the post.

What probably has me most excited is the return of Kyle's defense. In the latter part of the season he showed an excellent ability to guard front court players and big wings. The job he did on De'Shaun Butler and Gordon Hayward was unbelievable. Those are two pro-caliber talents he shut down.

I do have to wonder how this is going to affect Andre and Mason. Does Kyle continue to play the big wing and push Andre further down the rotation? Or does Kyle return to a pf spot and push Mason out of the starting lineup?

This is great news but K does have some chemistry to build here. We are not at all the same team with Scheyer, Z, and Thomas gone. In the months of March and April those were three great defenders. Even with Kyle back I have serious doubts we'll reach the high level of defense that was on display for almost all of this past season. And we have a lot of guys who really want to play.
    Hi,

Maybe playing with Mr. Curry this year was so awesome he wanted to do it in a game that counted next year?

GO DUKE!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    And IC is celebrating with one of the most classless threads I've ever seen. Don't think I've ever openly hoped for career failure or injury of a Carolina player, nor have I seen that on DBR, but it's nice for IC to confirm everything we all think about the louts over there.
    In other news, fighting continues in the Middle East.

Anyway, great news. If Singler had left, I think we would have been awfully thin at the 3 spot...the only guys we'd have available for that spot would be Felix and Hairston, both rookies.

I know that people were pretty high on us even with the possibility of Singler leaving, but in reality, we would not have had a proven wing player without him.

But, with him back, our depth chart looks like this:

1. Irving......Thornton
    2. Smith......Dawkins/Curry
    3. Singler.......Felix
    4. Mason/Miles....Hairston
    5. Mason/Miles....Kelly

We're going to be loaded at guard. The key, I think, will be Miles' progression...he needs to improve his inside game in a hurry if we're going to be the top-level rebounding team we were last season. Miles hit some impressive shots this year, but really wasn't a great defender.

If Miles continues to develop, and one of Felix, Hairston, or Kelly can make significant contributions, we should be fine.