Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just get tired of the optimism from Big Ten fans every bowl season. There's no way an Ohio State competes with an LSU team of this caliber. Shocked to see Lee Corso and others actually pick OSU to win. The SEC is clearly dominant.

few thoughts from a 1st half only watcher:

OSU secondary played soft.
    OSU o-line cannot pass block well enough.
    too many personal fouls.

I agree, Tressell did not have the horses to win the game. Even with 0 personal fouls they'd have lost, though it would have been closer. To me, it isn't just speed though. Similar to last year's game, OSU lost the battle in the trenches, badly on some downs.

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    A true battle of the football factories. I can't remember being more indifferent to two teams.

Tough time to be an Ohio State fan. Losses in the following National Title games in the last year: Men's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Football.

Quote Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
    Tough time to be an Ohio State fan. Losses in the following National Title games in the last year: Men's Basketball, Men's Soccer, Football.
    By my count, in the past year they've lost title games in Basketball, soccer, and football TWICE. A year ago today, I do believe.

Though I am a Duke football fan, I will always be first and foremost an OSU football fan as I've grown up watching them for as long as I remember. Needless to say, I've had better days as a sports fan. Between Duke losing to Big Baby's LSU in '06 and the Buckeyes getting handled last night, I'm beginning to not like the boys from Baton Rouge too much.

The bottom line is that OSU played a better team from a better conference and made more mistakes than them. End of story. And spare me the "SEC speed" crap. Beanie Wells ('08 Heisman, anyone?) put that to rest 2 minutes into the game when he blew by the LSU defense and took it to the house. And I saw Florida's Percy Harvin get caught from behind by Michigan players twice last week. OSU had more players on 2007 NFL rosters than anyone except Miami; yes, more than any SEC school. "Slow" schools don't do that.

Anyway, for as much criticism as Tressel and the Buckeyes are receiving, this is a team that lost 7 players to the NFL draft, was picked to finish 3rd or 4th in the Big 10, went 11-1 and made it back to the NC game...all in a rebuilding year. As disappointed as I am with last night's result (and I am), I'm pretty proud of our football team and the season that they've had; nobody expected them to accomplish what they did this year. The scary part? Around 75% of our offense and defense return and Tressel '08 recruiting class is without a doubt his best thus far. So as bleak as it looks in the rearview, OSU's future is indeed bright. Go Bucks (still)...

Positives

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Though I am a Duke football fan, I will always be first and foremost an OSU football fan as I've grown up watching them for as long as I remember. Needless to say, I've had better days as a sports fan. Between Duke losing to Big Baby's LSU in '06 and the Buckeyes getting handled last night, I'm beginning to not like the boys from Baton Rouge too much.

The bottom line is that OSU played a better team from a better conference and made more mistakes than them. End of story. And spare me the "SEC speed" crap. Beanie Wells ('08 Heisman, anyone?) put that to rest 2 minutes into the game when he blew by the LSU defense and took it to the house. And I saw Florida's Percy Harvin get caught from behind by Michigan players twice last week. OSU had more players on 2007 NFL rosters than anyone except Miami; yes, more than any SEC school. "Slow" schools don't do that.

Anyway, for as much criticism as Tressel and the Buckeyes are receiving, this is a team that lost 7 players to the NFL draft, was picked to finish 3rd or 4th in the Big 10, went 11-1 and made it back to the NC game...all in a rebuilding year. As disappointed as I am with last night's result (and I am), I'm pretty proud of our football team and the season that they've had; nobody expected them to accomplish what they did this year. The scary part? Around 75% of our offense and defense return and Tressel '08 recruiting class is without a doubt his best thus far. So as bleak as it looks in the rearview, OSU's future is indeed bright. Go Bucks (still)...
    Certainly the loss last night was a big disappointment for OSU and their fans... but getting to the national championship game is such an accomplishment. Nay sayers overlook the rarefied accomplishment of being there period, let alone multiple times. The game was exciting and full of ups and downs for both teams.

An LSU fan

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post

You hit the nail on the head. our overachieving footballers could not make the kind of mistakes that we made last night and expect to win against a team as good as LSU. Scary thing is, that game was closer than anyone will admit. Two slight bounces could have easily changed the complexion and the outcome of the game... OSU recovers the fumbled punt return and Robiske hangs onto the ball in the endzone and you're looking at a 17-21 point lead for OSU in the first half.

Bottom line... LSU executed better, and took advantage of thier opporunities every time last night. Congrats to LSU.

Did LSU fans really chant "SEC!" last night? That's pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    How so? Conference love is appropriate, and it's also an in your face reminder of OSU's failure last year.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Duke fans chant ACC in the Final Four or at other neutral site games.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    How so? Conference love is appropriate, and it's also an in your face reminder of OSU's failure last year.

I'm pretty sure I've heard Duke fans chant ACC in the Final Four or at other neutral site games.
    It's fine to root for teams in your conference but the level it's gotten to in college football is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. Do Duke fans root for UNC in the NCAA tournament? Because that's the equivalent in college football.

It's fine to root for teams in your conference but the level it's gotten to in college football is pathetic. Absolutely pathetic. Do Duke fans root for UNC in the NCAA tournament? Because that's the equivalent in college football.
    Probably not, but I don't think there would be a ton of Duke fans at UNC's national championship game. If there were, I presume the one thing Duke and UNC fans could agree on, if UNC was blowing out a team from the Pac-10 or Big East, is that ACC basketball rules, so it would be appropriate to chant ACC.

But this isn't about fans from other schools cheering for LSU. This is about LSU fans trumpeting the preeminence of their conference over the Big 10. The preeminence of the SEC was certainly a major topic of discussion this year, so it seems wholly appropriate that fans would reference both the dominance of their team and their conference.

By the way, in head-to-head matchups between the SEC and the Big 10 over the past few bowl seasons, the results for the SEC are:

2008: 2-1
    2007: 1-2
    2006: 1-1
    2005: 1-2
    2004: 2-1
    2003: 1-2
    2002: 2-0
    2001: 1-1
    2000: 1-2

I think the SEC is the better conference overall - but come on, this SEC superiority stuff is becoming a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Probably not, but I don't think there would be a ton of Duke fans at UNC's national championship game. If there were, I presume the one thing Duke and UNC fans could agree on, if UNC was blowing out a team from the Pac-10 or Big East, is that ACC basketball rules, so it would be appropriate to chant ACC.

But this isn't about fans from other schools cheering for LSU. This is about LSU fans trumpeting the preeminence of their conference over the Big 10. The preeminence of the SEC was certainly a major topic of discussion this year, so it seems wholly appropriate that fans would reference both the dominance of their team and their conference.
    I understand chanting ACC during the Big 10-ACC challenge or something like that. But if Duke wins a national championship, ACC pride is one of the last things I think about.

And....

LSU won the game and the championship. Enough already!