Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gyp might survive but I definitely think he kills that little dog.

Spoilers

I'm thinking Margaret Schroeder kills Gyp. Followed by a cliffhanger where she's holding the same gun on Nucky. That woman's gone through too much to be sane and I think she's gonna blame Nucky for it all.

"...and then me and you sit down and we talk about who dies, eh?" That line was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey, is anyone still watching Boardwalk? Holy HELL the show is GREAT!
    Easily the best season yet IMO. Owen's end was haunting, Capone's arrival (as others have pointed out) a great fist-pump moment, and Harrow's gauntlet was jaw dropping.

I figured Gyp had to go, but they almost had me convinced they were going to let him get away. Until he turned his back to take a whiz, that is.

It'll be interesting to see how they reinvent themselves for S4 - the show has such a high body count that it has to change pretty frequently.

Agree with most posters here about Season 3 - easily the best one yet! What's a gangster show without some bodies stacking up, after all

Like many of you, I sort of endured Season One simply because: A) It was on HBO and they generally have good stuff B) Great cast and with Scorcese as EP, I figured it had to be decent and C) There wasn't anything else on that I wanted to watch instead. I found Season 2 more interesting and thought it showed guts to kill off such a major character in Jimmy D. But S3 has definitely been the most entertaining, I think (and not just cuz people have been getting shot).

I'm really glad that the Richard character is around. Wasn't it S2 when he went out in the woods to off himself? He's maybe my favorite character on the show. On a side note - has anyone seen the actor who plays Harrow (Jack Huston) in the commercials for Guiness Black? Really funny to see him in a "normal" role - and one where he's acting sort of silly and smiling. Anyway, I love me some Richard Harrow and also Chalky White. That was my one complaint for S3 - not enough Chalky!

As for the season finale, I thought it was awesome, even if we did pretty much know that certain things were going to happen even before it began; Gyp biting the dust and Richard coming back to rescue Tommy. However, I did find Gyp's death somewhat less than satisfying. First of all, I can't believe that Nucky and Eli just took Tonino's word for it that "it's' done". Really? After ALL the trouble and heartache and problems Gyp caused for Nucky and after the recently-concussed Nucky swore to "...wear that Dago's guts like a f*****g necktie" he just lets someone else do Gyp - and doesn't even watch or go back to check and make sure the dude's dead? Yeah, yeah, I realize that big gangsters get others to do their dirty work so I don't guess I expected Nucky to pull the trigger or stick the knife in (although he certainly made an exception in Jimmy's case) but I just found it surprising that he didn't at least verify that the nutjob who tried to kill him and who did kill his beloved Billie was really, REALLY dead.

The second thing that bothered me a bit was this: How in the HECK did Nucky find Margaret in that crappy boarding house at the end of the episode? I really thought it was a dream sequence at first because it just seemed so unlikely that he could catch up to her so quickly. I was glad she spurned him, though. I imagine she'll still be on the show going forward, but can't imagine how they'll do it. Van Alden is still around, after all. I have read many comments online that people find the Margaret character boring but I love how she stands up to Nucky and that scene where she manipulated the Doc into opening the women's health clinic was brilliant! She's every bit the cunning politician that Nucky is.

I do have a couple of questions looking to next season, too. First, did Eddie make it? I hope so, I really enjoy that thick-headed German lug. Second, does Gillian survive the heroin O.D.? I bet she does - too twisted and interesting a character to get rid of, I think.

Final thought: I really, really hope we haven't seen the last of Stephen Root as Gaston Means. He's one of my favorite actors and played that role so...slimily? Or maybe it's best to just use the word "brilliantly". He cracks me up and I love how he seamlessly plays every angle to his own benefit. Man, I can't wait for Season 4!

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Easily the best season yet IMO. Owen's end was haunting, Capone's arrival (as others have pointed out) a great fist-pump moment, and Harrow's gauntlet was jaw dropping.

I figured Gyp had to go, but they almost had me convinced they were going to let him get away. Until he turned his back to take a whiz, that is.

It'll be interesting to see how they reinvent themselves for S4 - the show has such a high body count that it has to change pretty frequently.
    I'm thinking S4 gets more involved with Washington, politics, the Feds, that sort of thing. More back-room deals, lower body-count.

Seems like they've already baited the trap, so to speak.

The generally calm Arnold Rothstein must be big-time pissed. And he won't be taking it out on Andrew Mellon, either.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The generally calm Arnold Rothstein must be big-time pissed. And he won't be taking it out on Andrew Mellon, either.
    If someone can explain the "sting" that Nucky put on Rothstein, I would appreciate it. The notes on the HBO website don't really get into it, but I can't seem to remember everything that happened to put together the pieces between Nucky, Mellon, the St. Louis operation, and the woman DA so that Nucky was in a position to "sell" 99% of the operation to Rothstein and then implicate him as its owner.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If someone can explain the "sting" that Nucky put on Rothstein, I would appreciate it. The notes on the HBO website don't really get into it, but I can't seem to remember everything that happened to put together the pieces between Nucky, Mellon, the St. Louis operation, and the woman DA so that Nucky was in a position to "sell" 99% of the operation to Rothstein and then implicate him as its owner.
    I may miss a step or two but this is it (it is pretty complex)...

- Nucky said to Eli -- We are through in AC, Eli responded, we aren't, you just have to figure out how to fix it.

- Nucky had cut the deal with Mellon to help Mellon get Daugherty. Means was involved. There's something in here with the ADA as well, but I can't recall. I don't think Mellon sold the distillery to Nucky, just was going to allow him to run it. Not sure AR knew that.

- Doyle calls Nucky and tells him what he has in the distillery. Something huge. That's when, I think, Nucky figures out his play.

- Nucky tells Doyle that he's too busy to deal with distillery and to leave him alone (or may have offscreen told Doyle to give AR the big sell)

- Nucky calls AR looking for help from Masseria. Nucky offers up the distillery, and AR takes almost all of it (99%), assuming that Nucky is desperate. Nucky doesn't tell AR that it is a Mellon asset. AR takes the bait.

- In exchange for the distillery, AR agrees to talk Masseria into pulling back his men.

- AR gives Masseria the drugs that were "confiscated" by the police on AR's payroll in exchange for pulling his men out of AC.

- AR gives Nucky the call that Masseria's men are on his way out. Capone and White lay in ambush and massacre them. Revenge #1 on Masseria.

- Nucky has Means leak to Mellon that AR has taken over distillery with a means to violate Volstead Act. Mello calls ADA. Revenge #2.

What I don't know is if Nucky tricked Mellon as well, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    I do have a couple of questions looking to next season, too. First, did Eddie make it? I hope so, I really enjoy that thick-headed German lug. Second, does Gillian survive the heroin O.D.? I bet she does - too twisted and interesting a character to get rid of, I think.
    Terrence Winter has confirmed that Gillian will still be around in S4, so she must have survived.

Apparently S4 will jump ahead to mid-1924, about a year ahead. S3 ends in June 1923.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post

- Nucky said to Eli -- We are through in AC, Eli responded, we aren't, you just have to figure out how to fix it.

- Nucky had cut the deal with Mellon to help Mellon get Daugherty. Means was involved. There's something in here with the ADA as well, but I can't recall. I don't think Mellon sold the distillery to Nucky, just was going to allow him to run it. Not sure AR knew that.

- Doyle calls Nucky and tells him what he has in the distillery. Something huge. That's when, I think, Nucky figures out his play.

- Nucky tells Doyle that he's too busy to deal with distillery and to leave him alone (or may have offscreen told Doyle to give AR the big sell)

- Nucky calls AR looking for help from Masseria. Nucky offers up the distillery, and AR takes almost all of it (99%), assuming that Nucky is desperate. Nucky doesn't tell AR that it is a Mellon asset. AR takes the bait.

- In exchange for the distillery, AR agrees to talk Masseria into pulling back his men.

- AR gives Masseria the drugs that were "confiscated" by the police on AR's payroll in exchange for pulling his men out of AC.

- AR gives Nucky the call that Masseria's men are on his way out. Capone and White lay in ambush and massacre them. Revenge #1 on Masseria.

- Nucky has Means leak to Mellon that AR has taken over distillery with a means to violate Volstead Act. Mello calls ADA. Revenge #2.

OK, I think I got it. The other question I had was what was the deal that Eli struck with Al Capone? Did we ever learn that or did I just miss it?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    OK, I think I got it. The other question I had was what was the deal that Eli struck with Al Capone? Did we ever learn that or did I just miss it?
    Capone will get all the midwest distribution from Mellon's distillery once it's back in production.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post

It was AR who called Nucky at the lumber yard with the proposition("How did you get this number?"). It's left to the viewer to decide whether Doyle called AR to set a trap or he turned on Nucky because he blew Doyle off during the call from the distillery. I'm betting the former.

I don't believe any trickery was involved with Mellon. Once he made the original deal with Nucky, Mellon crossed the line. His call to the ADA was simply protecting his business interest.
    Last edited by 77devil; 12-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    It was AR who called Nucky at the lumber yard with the proposition("How did you get this number?"). It's left to the viewer to decide whether Doyle called AR to set a trap or he turned on Nucky because he blew Doyle off during the call from the distillery. I'm betting the former.

I don't believe any trickery was involved with Mellon. Once he made the original deal with Nucky, Mellon crossed the line. His call to the ADA was simply protecting his business interest.
    I think you're right because Nucky made the comment that you have to set a big trap to catch a big rat, and therefore Doyle almost certainly made the call at Nuck's request...or so thinks I.