Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Doug Gottlieb wants to coach KSU

Coach Kansas St

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r..._a11&eref=sihp

Part of me hopes he gets it, not only because he won't be an analyst, but because he'd see how bad he'd suck at it.

But I guess he'd at least be better at it than analyzing...

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Coach Kansas St

Part of me hopes he gets it, not only because he won't be an analyst, but because he'd see how bad he'd suck at it.

Part of me hopes that Gottlieb gets the job so that we can see him fail. Another part of me wants to see him get the job so that he won't have time to appear on ESPN to sneer for 8-10 hours a day. It's a tough call.

Coach Kansas St

I think Gottlieb is a pretty good analyst, and I think he knows the game quite well and would make a good coach. He can be smug and he'll make controversial statements (which has become part of the gig, unfortunately), but he knows the game very well.

If he does get it, I hope Duke puts them on the schedule so we can show him how "alarmingly unathletic" we are.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Coach Kansas St

Have not had time to research it yet, but heard on the Dan Patrick show this morning that Harrison Barnes was livid with Gottlieb for comments Gottlieb made about him after the Ohio game. Would love to know the details on that one..

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Have not had time to research it yet, but heard on the Dan Patrick show this morning that Harrison Barnes was livid with Gottlieb for comments Gottlieb made about him after the Ohio game. Would love to know the details on that one..
    Doug said that Carolina would make the trip to St. Louis and then make the trip right back home to Chapel Hill. He was intimating that without Kendall Marshall it would be a short stay in St. Louis. Frankly, all he was doing was saying he expected Carolina to lose, but he was somewhat obnoxious about it (which is his way), and Barnes in turn made a comment to the media about Doug's comment, which blew the whole thing out of proportion.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Doug said that Carolina would make the trip to St. Louis and then make the trip right back home to Chapel Hill. He was intimating that without Kendall Marshall it would be a short stay in St. Louis. Frankly, all he was doing was saying he expected Carolina to lose, but he was somewhat obnoxious about it (which is his way), and Barnes in turn made a comment to the media about Doug's comment, which blew the whole thing out of proportion.
    That's ok. Once Barnes is out of the NBA in a few years, he can join Gottlieb at KSU to start his illustrious career as an assistant coach.

That's ok. Once Barnes is out of the NBA in a few years, he can join Gottlieb at KSU to start his illustrious career as an assistant coach.
    Or maybe a Big XII rivalry? Perhaps the Mayor of Ames will help out a fellow ex-Little Cyclone with an assistant coaching gig.

I don't think we're giving him enough credit here.

Does Gotleib have any coaching experience? If not, isn't it a bit presumptious of him to think he could land a head coaching job in the Big 12 without any experience?

I think he would be a flop. I cannot imagine him being very effective on the recruiting trail, he has that type of personality that makes you just want to punch him...

Having said all this, I would love to see it happen...

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Him? Gottlieb, Barnes or both?

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    Sarcastic and witty, I will add, reference to Gottliebs troubles with credit card theft in college his freshman year...

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Got 'em. I'm not sure if K-State would get all the calls, but you know they'll always be looking to take a charge.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    Read the first paragraph here and you'll get why "credit" is italicized.

Quote Originally Posted by dcdevil2009 View Post
    Got 'em. I'm not sure if K-State would get all the calls, but you know they'll always be looking to take a charge.
    And they may lead the league in STEALS.

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    Read the first paragraph here and you'll get why "credit" is italicized.
    Some interesting tidbits from that wiki...

"Although a heady point guard with a knack for getting the ball to his teammates, his shooting never matched his passing as he would finish with a career scoring average of only 5.2 points per game, a 37.9 field goal shooting percentage, a 23.6 three-point field goal percentage, and a 45.3 free throw percentage."

Ha!

and...

"He then played for the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Summer League and then was invited to return to the Oklahoma Storm. However, he and new coach Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did not see eye-to-eye and he was released before the season began."

Who the heck argues with Kareem???

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    And they may lead the league in STEALS.
    Oh, you just had go and play that CARD, didn't you?

Guard coach?

"Although a heady point guard with a knack for getting the ball to his teammates, his shooting never matched his passing as he would finish with a career scoring average of only 5.2 points per game, a 37.9 field goal shooting percentage, a 23.6 three-point field goal percentage, and a 45.3 free throw percentage."

Ha!

and...

"He then played for the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA Summer League and then was invited to return to the Oklahoma Storm. However, he and new coach Kareem Abdul-Jabbar did not see eye-to-eye and he was released before the season began."

Kareem just couldn't coach perimeter players, because he is too big. Thought we'd all know that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Does Gotleib have any coaching experience? If not, isn't it a bit presumptious of him to think he could land a head coaching job in the Big 12 without any experience?

I think he would be a flop. I cannot imagine him being very effective on the recruiting trail, he has that type of personality that makes you just want to punch him...

Having said all this, I would love to see it happen...
    It would be fun to see a guy who is remarkably nonathletic (I forget who I'm quoting) make judgments on athleticism of recruits.

Ha!

and...

Kareem is 7'2" or something. Not many people can see eye-to-eye with him. Badum-bum.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016