Coach K will be on Rome is Burning today

Just a heads up.

Should be entertaining...though not as much as K's chat with The General and Rece Davis.

Not a big fan of Jim Rome, but I might check in on this.

Rome

I can't stand this guy. He still thinks he's in college and acts like a teenager. His whole facade of being cool and youthful is just to try and draw a young crowd in. To me he is just the same as Stuart Scott.

In the rare instances I watch or listen to Rome and he's talking about K, he's usually ripping K like a child.

But I fully expect that in a one-on-one interview situation, Rome will back down and be in full slobber mode.

Quote Originally Posted by KyDevilinIL View Post
    In the rare instances I watch or listen to Rome and he's talking about K, he's usually ripping K like a child.

But I fully expect that in a one-on-one interview situation, Rome will back down and be in full slobber mode.
    They had an interview last year and it went pretty well. K got in a shot or two to start things off and Rome was on his good manners.

The previous interview was interesting, and with the usual qualifications about Rome, I think this one will be worth watching.

I want to see Rome call K "Chris Everett" and watch K go Jim Everett on him...

hahaha. That clip is classic. You can see Rome just about pissed his pants he was so scared. If his crew didn't arrive to help him he would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    Just a heads up.

Should be entertaining...though not as much as K's chat with The General and Rece Davis.
    What a superb clip! Just a couple of smart guys chatting about hoops.
    The affection between them really emanates from the screen!

Just watched the Rome interview. I thought Romie did a good job, and K was his usual superb self. Nice interview overall.

For the record, I do not like Jim Rome and do not watch him except on special occasions. I did watch the Everett clip, because I had not seen it. To me it looked staged, not sure but seemed a little too controlled for what it was supposed to be... does anyone have any insight into that incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkjIeUFoAAs

Dull Interview

That was a pretty dull interview, IMHO. Nothing that I haven't heard several times before, ie "We have a big front line", "We learned from each other on the National Team." I thought Rome tried to cover too much territory in 6 minutes when he asked about both Duke and the National Team. Still, it was nice to see Rome give Coach K some respect by saying that guests don't get much better than him.

I am in the minority in that I find Rome's show entertaining, but I do not take it very seriously. (Same with most other things in Sports Talk). He's better than anything ESPN Radio has put on the air since Dan Patrick's departure, and most local stuff where I live is simply decent. Rome has a unique take on things, and even though he is obnoxious, Iagree with some of his opinions and he has seemed to grow up a little since incedints with Jim Everett and Gordie Howe in the '90s.
    That being said, his view on Duke seems to me to be pretty narrow-minded and annoying. He calls K "Kru-Zoo-Ski" and has ripped the man plenty over the years. However, I heard part of an interview he had with K last year and it was pretty good.
    Anyone know where I can find this one?

i love listening to rome's show on the radio, but find him MUCH less engaging on TV....i think jim's sarcasm is on a different level that just about anyone's and i too did not like him at first till i actually "got it"..

he did a bit on rae carruth's prison job and had put together facts about how much the job he had just been elevated from made per hour and how much he was making now...and that if he did really well, he could work his way up to prison library and make xx amount...all of this leading up to how much rae made per game playing football and how much the child support would have been....anyway...it was off the scale..

and jim DOES rip k when duke does not do well....no more, no less than any local sports guys or espn...he DOES respect K tremendously...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

and jim DOES rip k when duke does not do well....no more, no less than any local sports guys or espn...he DOES respect K tremendously...
    If I recall, Rome ripped on Coach K because K wouldn't go on his show, or some other issue between the two.

I heard the build-up and aftermath to Coach K's last interview (stinking errands get in the way of the good part of radio shows) but not the interview itself. Rome admitted not liking K beforehand but being impressed with how he handled the interview and gaining a lot of respect for him through the interview. Winning the gold didn't hurt, either.

Someone sent me a link to the interview - I'll try to find it in my email and post it.

Edit: Here it is.
    Last edited by Exiled_Devil; 01-16-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: added video URL

Yah, well, who's home when Rome is on anyway? He's even more tiresome than "Dopes Around the Horn."