Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brandon990 View Post
    Perhaps a little relationship advice for Mason and his tweets from a married guy in his 40s who doesn't tweet. You might want to tweet happy birthday to your girl first, then a separate tweet for your point guard later. Combining them and listing her second is bound to lead to trouble.
    There is a connection to scoring here that is begging for mention, but it shan't be me.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To clarify: if you're certain to go in the 1st round, then returning to college most likely won't help you. If you're a questionable 1st rounder, I think it makes sense to return to try to solidify your 1st round status.

The other scenario where I can see staying in college helping is for maturity purposes. Spending another year in a low-risk environment where (hopefully) the coaching staff can help you get more emotionally ready to live/play on your own can make it less likely that you flame out.

But for most guys a year in college doesn't really do anything but subtract a year's worth of pay.
    Well, they get to go to parties and meet girls for another year. Oh, wait.

Otherwise, this post clarified mine as well as your original one. Well put.

If we don't hear an announcement tomorrow I will be pretty surprised if he leaves early

You Know

For many of us our senior year at Duke was one of the great years of our lives.

Mason seems like a great person and a far better student than I. If he decides to trade his senior year for the end of the bench in the NBA or EuroBall, so be it. That year will come anyway, his Duke senior year can not be repeated.

SoCal

Somebody Has His Thinking Cap On

at 230am...

mason plumlee ‏ @masonplumlee
    The most important decisions in life are made all alone

I don't envy Mason's decision. Even from an outside perspective it's hard to be sure what would be in the best interests of the young man.

He is, at best, a borderline first round pick. A very risky spot to be in.

Steve Wiseman from the Durham Herald-Sun tweeted earlier:

Stephen Wiseman ‏ @stevewisemanNC:
    "Mason Plumlee's dad said Mason is "agonizing" over decision. Tomorrow's supposed deadline is "meaningless". Could take until 28th."

We might have to have a little more patience...

Quote Originally Posted by fh84 View Post
    Steve Wiseman from the Durham Herald-Sun tweeted earlier:

Stephen Wiseman ‏ @stevewisemanNC:
    "Mason Plumlee's dad said Mason is "agonizing" over decision. Tomorrow's supposed deadline is "meaningless". Could take until 28th."

We might have to have a little more patience...
    Yes, for those who are undecided, the wisest decision is to leave your door to the NBA open until the 28th by not announcing for the NBA now, and seemingly planning to stay in school. But if the NBA will allow you to announce by the 28th, why not take advantage of it? Not real helpful to our remaining undecided recruiting targets, or for the coaching staff, but it's good for the players.

Reminds me a little of Mike Dunleavy declaring at the end of his junior year, after the bball banquet where he was named a captain for the next year. That's one of the reasons why K doesn't name captains early anymore - it's nice if they are actually in school to fulfill the obligation!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Yes, for those who are undecided, the wisest decision is to leave your door to the NBA open until the 28th by not announcing for the NBA now, and seemingly planning to stay in school. But if the NBA will allow you to announce by the 28th, why not take advantage of it? Not real helpful to our remaining undecided recruiting targets, or for the coaching staff, but it's good for the players.

Reminds me a little of Mike Dunleavy declaring at the end of his junior year, after the bball banquet where he was named a captain for the next year. That's one of the reasons why K doesn't name captains early anymore - it's nice if they are actually in school to fulfill the obligation!

I agree, it is completely understandable from Mason's standpoint to wait as long as possible and to see who else decleares, etc. Though this does show how torn he is.
    And who knows, maybe a certain somebody announcing to come to Duke, will persuade Mason to come back to win a championship. A fan can dream, right? :-)

Tweet from...

Jonathan Givony ‏ @DraftExpress

Actually, scratch that on Mason Plumlee leaving. Just got a DM from someone very plugged in saying the opposite. He would know better.

Quote Originally Posted by dcar1985 View Post
    Tweet from...

Jonathan Givony ‏ @DraftExpress

Actually, scratch that on Mason Plumlee leaving. Just got a DM from someone very plugged in saying the opposite. He would know better.
    Does "the opposite" mean he is staying, or just that he hasn't decided to leave (i.e. he is still undecided, which was quoted earlier)?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Does "the opposite" mean he is staying, or just that he hasn't decided to leave (i.e. he is still undecided, which was quoted earlier)?
    Opposite is he is staying. He previously tweeted today Mason was a lock to leave. Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    He is still undecided

Another Good sign?!?

Tweet from....Adrian Wojnarowski ‏ @WojYahooNBA

Two underclassmen likely leaving school, sources say: Vandy's John Jenkins and 'Nova's Dominic Cheek. Likely staying: Duke's Mason Plumlee.

Signs

I did notice that on nbadraft.net, he was removed completely from the mock draft. I thought something specific must have come out to remove him since they still had Trey Burke who hadn't decided and was 50/50 by most accounts.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKESJ73 View Post
    I did notice that on nbadraft.net, he was removed completely from the mock draft. I thought something specific must have come out to remove him since they still had Trey Burke who hadn't decided and was 50/50 by most accounts.
    Who they have in that draft is as much speculation as anything we say on this board—evidenced by the fact that Burke announced today he's returning to Michigan.

On another note, I wouldn't be surprised if Michigan is a top 5 team next year with Burke returning. They return arguably their three best players in Burke, Hardaway and Morgan, and add the nation's 11th best recruiting class. Could be an interesting storyline considering the rest of the Big Ten may be a bit down.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    He is, at best, a borderline first round pick. A very risky spot to be in.
    That's not what the NBA told him.

While the tweets from @DraftExpress and @WojYahooNBA are promising, Mason hasn't made a decision as of this morning so take them with cautious optimism.

As always, "expect the worst, hope for the best."

Quote Originally Posted by airowe View Post
    That's not what the NBA told him.

While the tweets from @DraftExpress and @WojYahooNBA are promising, Mason hasn't made a decision as of this morning so take them with cautious optimism.

As always, "expect the worst, hope for the best."

Agree completely. But, I would argue, that the NBA information is not exactly unbiased either. Aa many have pointed out, if Mason were pegged as a late first round pick, a 10 spot drop in the draft lowers him to the 2nd round and out of guaranteed contract range. if he were a post-lottery middle pick, a 10 spot drops still keeps him in the first round.

I believe completely that the NBA was telling him that he was much higher than a late first rounder. I also believe that they are telling a lot more guys then their are picks that they are higher than a late first rounder. Because it is in the interest of NBA executives to have as many quality players in the draft as possible and hope to get a guy who is talented but drops in the draft.

Again, not arguing with what Mason's been told, but just wanted to say that just like Duke has a desired result, so does the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    Again, not arguing with what Mason's been told, but just wanted to say that just like Duke has a desired result, so does the NBA.
    True. Another rule to live by: "Consider the source."