Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeDevil View Post
    http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012...ces=topbuttons

This person does not believe Duke should be ranked.

ETA: He had Duke ranked after believing Plumlee was declaring.
    UNC#11 Loaded on the wing. That right there made my afternoon. I'm still laughing!

Nice article on Sulaimon

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This may not be a popular view, but I think we will be a better TEAM next year. As talented as Austin was/is, we kind of gave him the ball and stood back to watch in a lot of instances. Mason, for example, should do a lot better if we can get someone to drive, draw the defender, and then dish off to him on the low blocks. Austin could get into the lane, sometimes at will, but usually finished (or tried to finish) his own shot.
    Frankly, I would say the same thing about 2010-11 as well. I think teams do better with three or more involved rather than only one.

We Need to Save this Stuff

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2012...ces=topbuttons

This person does not believe Duke should be ranked.

ETA: He had Duke ranked after believing Plumlee was declaring.
    Someone really needs to keep track of this junk, so we can make spitballs with it next March and April.

Let's see if I have this straight. Duke returns four starters from a #2 seed team that won 27 games, 13-3 in the ACC. Therefore, Duke is unranked, despite picking up three new players. Maryland returns four starters from a team that was 6-10 in the ACC, did not even make the NIT, and was 17-15 overall. Therefore, Maryland is #16 in the whole US of A. UNC returns one starter -- as in 1, uno, un, ein -- from a team that was 14-2 in the regular season and was a #1 seed in the NCAA-T. Therefore, UNC is ranked #11. R-i-i-i-i-ght! I love it!

sage

It's behind a paywall, so I can't post it all here, but the ACC Sports Journal site has developed a formula to predict records based on the amount of "returning production." That percentage is on the right.

1. Duke: 14-2 72
    T-2. North Carolina: 11-5 28
    T-2. Miami: 11-5 82
    T-4. NC State: 10-6 70
    T-4. Florida State: 10-6 37
    6. Virginia: 8-8 56
    T-7. Maryland: 7-9 75
    T-7. Clemson: 7-9 50
    T-9. Virginia Tech: 5-11 77
    T-9. Georgia Tech: 5-11 76
    T-9. Boston College: 5-11 76
    12. Wake Forest: 3-13 62

If this is close to accurate, the folks in Chapel Hill will be pleasantly surprised and the ones in Raleigh and College Park disappointed. The writer would agree that Duke is unlikely to get 14 wins, but I am shocked at the low total for Wake.

Going to 18-game ACC schedule next year, I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    This may not be a popular view, but I think we will be a better TEAM next year. As talented as Austin was/is, we kind of gave him the ball and stood back to watch in a lot of instances. Mason, for example, should do a lot better if we can get someone to drive, draw the defender, and then dish off to him on the low blocks. Austin could get into the lane, sometimes at will, but usually finished (or tried to finish) his own shot.
    I agree with this. I think next year has some huge potential. Less isolation plays for anyone not name Mason, Alex, or Ryan...

cant wait

I think Duke is going to win it all every year. Next year nothing will change for me and it will never change as long as we have K. Plus, I think we will be better next than we were this year.

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I wouldn't expect to operate about the same as last season, for a few reasons. First, we're introducing two entirely different players to the rotation in Murphy and Sulaimon. Second, it is very possible that we'll see Cook emerge as our starting PG. Those two things alone will dramatically change our style of play. Coach K has always changed his gameplan season to season (and sometimes within a season) based on the strengths of the team. And next year, the strengths will likely be slightly different than this year (unless Sulaimon, Murphy, and Cook all aren't ready).

So while I agree that Kelly isn't suddenly going to be quick and Hairston and Thornton aren't suddenly going to be taller or great offensive players, I think we can reasonably expect the team to function at least a fair bit differently.

And regardless, I'd point to ACCBBallFan's post as reason that the status quo isn't necessarily all that bad:

Granted, some teams are going to move up (like, presumably Arizona, Florida, Michigan, UCLA, NC State, and Indiana). But some of the big boys are going to be trying to fill LOTS of holes next year, moreso than us.
    I agree that the status quo is not a bad place to be with 27 wins for the season. Yes, others will get weaker, such as UNC and Kentucky, while teams like State will be stronger. Rumors concerning Andre may well add a new factor so it will be a fluid situation. I find it difficult to believe that Tyler won't play a big part in the scheme of things as coach K really thinks highly of him and rightly so. Will Quinn win the PG slot? I think that is more likely to be shared.

It's behind a paywall, so I can't post it all here, but the ACC Sports Journal site has developed a formula to predict records based on the amount of "returning production." That percentage is on the right.

1. Duke: 14-2 72
    T-2. North Carolina: 11-5 28
    T-2. Miami: 11-5 82
    T-4. NC State: 10-6 70
    T-4. Florida State: 10-6 37
    6. Virginia: 8-8 56
    T-7. Maryland: 7-9 75
    T-7. Clemson: 7-9 50
    T-9. Virginia Tech: 5-11 77
    T-9. Georgia Tech: 5-11 76
    T-9. Boston College: 5-11 76
    12. Wake Forest: 3-13 62

If this is close to accurate, the folks in Chapel Hill will be pleasantly surprised and the ones in Raleigh and College Park disappointed. The writer would agree that Duke is unlikely to get 14 wins, but I am shocked at the low total for Wake.
    This is a far more accurate predictor than anything else I've seen. I don't understand how UNC can be ranked ahead of Duke pre-season. The return of Dexter Strickland will help mitigate some of the experience they're losing, but otherwise they will have a lot of guys who have to become stars after being role players. Obviously, JMM is an impressive talent and I suspect he will meet expectations. Otherwise, Bullock and Hairston need to make huge leaps while the PG spot (a position that has proven to be vital to UNC's success) is a big question mark. Meanwhile, Duke loses Austin and Miles, key losses to be sure, but returns everyone else (save Mike G and possibly Andre) while adding a potential defensive stalwart in Rasheed and a talented small forward in Alex plus Marshall who will provide depth behind Ryan, Mason, and Josh in the post. There are question marks, here, too, but far fewer than with UNC. Mason, Seth, and Ryan have already proven to be double digit scorers. Quinn was limited by injuries, but showed the potential to be a difference maker. Tyler and Josh will be older and better. I suspect the ceiling of the team will be determined by just how good Rasheed and Alex prove to be. If they give us needed versatility on the defensive end and are able to be sparks on offense from time to time, then the team could very well be absorb the loss of Austin on offense without missing a beat while simultaneously improving on defense.

Anyway, count me as one of the guys who is excited about next season. The team will look very different from this year's team on both sides of the ball. The idea that we'll look exactly the same next year as we did this year except we won't have Austin is lazy analysis. With Alex, Rasheed and Marshall (and possibly someone else . . . TP and Amile, come on down!) joining the fold, we have completely different pieces with which to work. Quinn will be a different player. All of our returnees will improve. We'll be more experienced. I see no reason NOT to be excited about next season or to believe that a Final Four run is outside of the team's grasp.

With the Gbinije tranfer and potential Dre red-shirt, the annual complainers about so and so not getting enough PT may have to take a year off too, pending what Amile and Tony decide.

It was interesting to realize that Duke will have no one between 6'4" and 6'7" tall in the 9 scholarship players.

I now have to adjust my prognosis of 4 senior starters plus one of Alex/Tyler/Quinn/Sheed starting, even if that meant Seth at PG so Dre could be SG if Alex is as good as coach K has hinted.

If Dre can practice, having a 10th ACC caliber guy for 5 vs. 5 is helpful. Ditto if Rodney signs on, as he is a bigger guy for Alex to hone his skills vs, and vice versa.

Same issue that Josh can either stay bulked up to back up Ryan @ 235, or trim down to back up Alex but not both.

With the current roster, it seems the best opton to back up Alex at SF defender is the gritty muscular bulldog Tyler so that the other 3 more offensively gifted guards split the PG/SG duties.

Quinn/Seth

Seth/Sheed

Alex/Tyler

Ryan/Josh or Alex in 3-guard set if no Amile

MP2/MP3 or Ryan if MP3 not ready and no Tony

Others have postulted Sheed at SF backup and Tyler as backup or starting PG, given his banquet MVP and how much coach K values his leadership and defense. But of the two Tyler has the bulk to deal with SF's much more than Rasheed..

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    With the Gbinije tranfer and potential Dre red-shirt, the annual complainers about so and so not getting enough PT may have to take a year off too.
    One would think.

One would be disappointed, but one would think.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post

I don't quite get your comment of "With the current roster, it seems the best option to back up Alex at SF defender is the gritty muscular bulldog Tyler so that the other 3 more offensively gifted guards split the PG/SG duties."

Do you really mean to suggest that a 6'1" player with average speed can guard opposing small forwards?!
    Last edited by Newton_14; 04-20-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Add me to the list that next year's team will be better. But we are getting trashed by the local sports "experts". Suiter(sp) had these jewels on radio this morning: Duke will not compete for the ACC title; the Plumlees are the worst finishers in the history of basketball; Duke will not be very good next year; I'd easily take Carolina's lineup over Duke's; If Murphy were any good why didn't he play last year; and general trashing of Thornton. Anyway, his rampage went on and on and wish I could get a transcript.

However, I think the pieces fit well, particularly if Cook is healthy and plays lots of minutes. I see no reason we shouldn't win the regular season or finish within a game of the eventual winner.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Do you really mean to suggest that a 6'1" player with average speed can guard opposing small forwards?!
    Did you not watch him this year? Tyler fared quite well as a wing defender, even had moderate success against Barnes. I agree 100% with ABF. Tyler is strong, tough, and tenacious. He can defend most college wings.

I am totally excited about next year's team! I expect it to be SIGNIFICANTLY better than this year's version. We could start as many as four seniors, will have great outside shooting, a matchup nightmare stretch 4 in Ryan, a dominant inside force in Mason, and Quinn should (hopefully) be ready for prime time at the point. Throw in some valuable bench players, Cameron Indoor, and the best coach in the country, and I think we win the conference pretty easily, despite what the pundits are saying. We might be picked as low as 4th in the ACC preseason, but that's just cockamamy recency bias. Everyone is all bulled up about NC State. SELL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Did you not watch him this year? Tyler fared quite well as a wing defender, even had moderate success against Barnes. I agree 100% with ABF. Tyler is strong, tough, and tenacious. He can defend most college wings.
    Thanks.

That's what I would have said with the caveat better than a much less physical at this point Rasheed that many are inserting here by necessity and better than an overly bulked up Josh who needs that bulk to be the backup PF. Obviously the other 2 of the 4 guards Quinn and Seth are not in contention.

Duke has no one if Dre redshirts that is between 6'4" and 6'7" tall and that would still be the case if Amile or Tony or Rodney who has to sit a year join the team.

I mentioned on another thread that JT Thompson 6'6 225 pound sixth year SF from VA Tech is looking to play closer to his Monroe NC home (a little past Charlotte about 3 hours from Duke). With Duke's one year need, that might work if both parties are amenable. He already graduated and is petitioning NCAA for another year since he sat 2 with ACL injuries. Miami's Adrian Tomas got the exemption a couple years ago. Seth Greenberg would have a cow but grad students can go wherever they want.

New ball game if Amile joins. He is no less an offensive weakness at SF than Tyler but has the length to defend and lacks the bulk as Ryan did year one to compete at PF once ACC play starts. Alernatively Josh Hairston could slim down like Kyle did if Duke had Tony which could help Josh (and Tony for that matter) since he is not going to get much taller.

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Yes, I watched Thornton play many times this year. And yes, he is tough and tenacious, but the idea of a 6'1" player guarding small forwards 5 to 7 inches taller does not make sense. It might be a bit of a different story if he could jump really high, but he can't. Sure, he can TRY to guard small forwards--and commit a lot of fouls due to being overmatched. What would that accomplish? He should be concerned with effectively guarding the opposing PG. I haven't seen evidence that he can do that, yet he can guard a small forward? I don't know, man.

I, for one, am excited about the possibilities

Who would not be excited?

Assuming no Dawkins for the year ...

A starting lineup with two senior big men, both averaging double figures - one with a double-double.
    A big red-shirt freshman big man to come in and bang - no pressure on him.
    A 6'7" junior (Josh) with big game experience and two years under K. Much like Lance Thomas - Josh will be an important piece, regardless of minutes played.

A small forward (Alex) who will fill a big need for us. This is the key element for overall success. This position will be the difference between top ten and title contender - IMO.

Point Guard - two dramatically different players who will play relatively equal minutes in the long run - Cook and Tyler. They both bring different skill sets and mind sets - both are important. Their minutes in each game will probably depend on the opponent and the situation. Both will be stronger than last year just from the experience this year.

Shooting Guard - a senior and a freshman - both apparently very skilled. You could see both of them in the game at the same time depending on three guard lineups, etc.

This is a talented, skilled lineup. With nine - the rotation will be easier to play out. I loved Austin Rivers - but he did change the team concept for me at times. Next year will be a more cohesive team in terms of passing and shooting - they will have to be. This has got to be a team that K will love to coach. I think the defense returns next year.

good summation

Quote Originally Posted by jcastranio View Post
    Who would not be excited?

Assuming no Dawkins for the year ...

A starting lineup with two senior big men, both averaging double figures - one with a double-double.
    A big red-shirt freshman big man to come in and bang - no pressure on him.
    A 6'7" junior (Josh) with big game experience and two years under K. Much like Lance Thomas - Josh will be an important piece, regardless of minutes played.

A small forward (Alex) who will fill a big need for us. This is the key element for overall success. This position will be the difference between top ten and title contender - IMO.

Point Guard - two dramatically different players who will play relatively equal minutes in the long run - Cook and Tyler. They both bring different skill sets and mind sets - both are important. Their minutes in each game will probably depend on the opponent and the situation. Both will be stronger than last year just from the experience this year.

Shooting Guard - a senior and a freshman - both apparently very skilled. You could see both of them in the game at the same time depending on three guard lineups, etc.

This is a talented, skilled lineup. With nine - the rotation will be easier to play out. I loved Austin Rivers - but he did change the team concept for me at times. Next year will be a more cohesive team in terms of passing and shooting - they will have to be. This has got to be a team that K will love to coach. I think the defense returns next year.

Good summation and shows how solid Duke will be even if we don't get Parker or Jefferson ... and even if Andre does redshirt (which isn't a given -- they'll decide next fall).

But one thing I will add ... I LOVE all the negative Nellies out there. The guys who don't have Duke ranked ... the local "experts" that suggest Duke won't be competitive for the ACC. I love all the idiots who suggest UNC will be in the top 10 or the ACC favorite. They are all in for another rude shock. Let them deal with expectations. I don't have a problem with all the giddy State fans who think they are going to be great -- they do have a strong roster and -- cut them a break -- it's been so long since they've been any good. What's the last time State went into the season as an ACC contender? I do think the weight of expectations might bring them down to earth (and just as people are overreacting to Duke's late-season slump, they are over-reacting to State's brief late-season surge).

Still, I'm going to lovge seeing preseason rankings that have UNC and NC State 1-2 with Duke back there in the pack, battling with Miami, FSU and maybe Maryland.

As someone else posted, maybe when Duke wins the 2013 regular season, they'll be forced to give Coach K the Coach of the Year Award he's deserved 2-3 times in the last 10 years.