View Poll Results: JJ or Psycho T?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • JJ

63 78.75%
  • Psycho T

17 21.25%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

More Dominant: JJ Redick or Tyler Hansbrough?

With Hansbrough coming up on the scoring record I thought I'd put this out there. This is just to see in peoples honest opinion whos more dominant, who can take over a game or win it in the final minutes.Please I dislike Hansbrough as much as the next but try not to be biased. Take into consideration;defense,freethrows,points,helping team win,getting players better shots. So... who do you guys think?

So much of what Tyler does is dependent on the officials. I think JJ was the more dominant player. He shot at such a high percentage and was able to shoot free throws like none other. I think Tyler benefits from officials turning a blind eye to his traveling and any off balance shot he takes looks so awkward officials believe its a foul.

JJ was usually able to stop time. There has never been anything like the sound of an entire crowd inhaling as he released one of those beautiful threes.

JJ was a marvel. TBangs is a lucky guy who is a year older than anybody in his class, has a nice shot(when uncontested,) and has a big enough keister to box out with his backside alone. Granted, he's got the one handed short floater, but at his size and weight, he should, and for that he has had plenty of recognition.
    Oh, nearly forgot, he sure works hard!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeballer2294 View Post
    With Hansbrough coming up on the scoring record I thought I'd put this out there. This is just to see in peoples honest opinion whos more dominant, who can take over a game or win it in the final minutes.Please I dislike Hansbrough as much as the next but try not to be biased. Take into consideration;defense,freethrows,points,helping team win,getting players better shots. So... who do you guys think?
    If JJ couldn't shoot 3's, he would be a nobody in Duke basketball history.

hansborough can shoot, (as we saw today,) rebound, post up and make free throws.

he is the most well-rounded big men in college basketball today, no doubt

Tyler is not the best big man

Where do you get Tyler is the best big man? Where is he projected in the draft? He will not be a dominant NBA player. He will get hammered when he "jumps" into the opposition like he has done the last 4 years. He did hit a couple of threes today but that does not make him a shooter. Glad he is almost off my radar as he is the biggest whiner I have ever seen.

Because it's center v guard, I can't see a valid comparison. Apples and oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpackdevil View Post

hansborough can shoot, (as we saw today,) rebound, post up and make free throws.

...but he could shoot 3s. JJ can shoot free throws, too... better than anyone. Also, Hansbrough is not "well-rounded." He has had one game in his career where he made 2 3-pointers (today). He's a good, but not great rebounder. He might be the worst shot-blocking "big man" in the history of the NCAA per minute... he has 12 on the year... the same number as Plumlee, and 44 fewer than Ed Davis, who plays 11 fewer minutes a game! Hansbrough is just as "well-rounded" as JJ was and JJ averaged almost 27 points a game as a senior.

The 3 point shot is the biggest shot in the game of basketball and JJ excecuted it better than anyone. Ever.

I would say Tyler had the more consistency throughout his career -- though if JJ were a year and a half older his freshman season...that would not likely be the case.

IMO JJ was more dominant in his final two seasons than Psycho T. He was the consensus National Player of the Year after his Junior and Senior seasons (Psycho T will not match this), and averaged a shade under 27 points per game his senior year.

Saying JJ without his shot would be nothing in Duke history is not fair. How much of his shooting do you want to take away? Take anyone's best skill/asset away and they would not be as good. Take away Magic's court vision, Bird's shot, Shaq's size, Kareem's hook, Jordan's explosiveness, etc... BTW, if you only make JJ a little less better shooter, I would argue JJ would still have been quite a player at Duke.

Er, no. His defense is crap.

I wouldn't call either one of them dominant. JJ was more valuable to his team because Hans has a little bit better supporting cast. A big strong guy can survive and do adequately well when the refs swallow their whistles but a guard can't score if he's hacked every possession and doesn't get to the line as we saw in JJ's last tournament game.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Er, no. His defense is crap.
    Like JJ played great defense???

Like JJ played great defense???
    He wouldn't have to be great to be better than Hansbrough. But I was actually responding to the idea that Hansbrough is the most dominant big man in the country, which simply isn't true this year, or any other year.

Hansbrough is not the best big guy in the country. Blake Griffin is loads better, and I think Dejuan Blair is better. I also think an argument can be made for a few others as well.
    As far as the argument, I will go with J.J., for no other reason than making a contested 24' shot is always more impressive than a free throw.

JJ meant more to his Duke team as a Senior than Beaker does to the sheep. When the gas ran out of JJ's tank, Duke was finished in 06. If Tyler were to really struggle, he has plenty of solid supporters in Lawson, Green, Wayne, Davis, Thompson. The 06 team needed Deng or someone like Henderson badly, and we had nothing outside of Shel's solid inside play to fall back on.

I voted for TH. A 24-footer is impressive, but the question is about dominance, and given adequate (Q Thomas) or great guards (Lawson) to feed a big man, a big man is usually more dominant than a guard. Unless you're freaking MJ. Despite the way the 3 has distorted the game, higher percentage shots are to be found around the hoop.

JJ took over games his senior year. Not many before that. (Yes, 2003 ACCCG comes to mind). TH has been taking over games for four years.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

JJ, partially because he simply HAD to be and didn't have Lawson, Green, Ellington, and a cast of others to pick up needed slack, and partially because he was simply dominant. JJ broke so many teams backs over the years it was ridiculous, and it was often singlehandedly. While Tyler is fantastic, his teammates still score 70 or so points a game... I feel like he just can't be considered as dominant.

Still, both guys are fantastic.

Imo, I would take JJ. TH gets so many calls his way and thats the reason he holds the free throw record along with averaging 21 as he is this year. I remember fondly when JJ and #1Duke plyed #2Texas and he went off for 40, he also did that a few other times during the coure of his career. Imo i dont remember hearing TH go off during his senior year or any other year that often.

Quote Originally Posted by JDev View Post
    Hansbrough is not the best big guy in the country. Blake Griffin is loads better, and I think Dejuan Blair is better. I also think an argument can be made for a few others as well.
    As far as the argument, I will go with J.J., for no other reason than making a contested 24' shot is always more impressive than a free throw.

Cole Aldrich
    Jordan Hill

Quote Originally Posted by The1Bluedevil View Post
    Cole Aldrich
    Jordan Hill
    In addition to that, Luke Harangody, and in the ACC Trevor Booker is pretty darn good. Patrick Patterson is averaging 18 and 9. An argument could be made for any of those guys, whether you agree with it or not.