Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    This isn't true. When the Duke players came to the huddle in the Wake Forest game, Coach K said to the team, "Look, we're definitely not going to win this game. You can go ahead and give it a college try, but let's save up our mojo for a bigger game, say like the regional finals in the NCAA tourney against Kentucky."

True story, Scouts honor.

Actually, the big difference between those teams and when Coach K said "we are going to win" comes down to the person listening to it -- Laettner. He truly believed it, which is something he says repeatedly about buying into what Coach K was teaching. Coach K was why he came to Duke, and Coach K helped Laettner maximize his potential and be fiercer competitor.
    They are the same team. Laettner was there for both games.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I found it pretty easily, just now.

I went to the iTunes store through the iTunes on my computer, chose the TV Shows dropdown menu, selected Shows Just Added, and it's on that page--the first show on the third column down.
    Is this the final version? Seems like there were rumors of an expanded version dropping later this week?

Quote Originally Posted by stixof96 View Post
    i am not taking this personal....don't know where that came from.....i have competed in a very high level environment many, many times in my life...from those experiences i have learned something...when you are surrounded by quality competition, the winner usually is the one that refuses to lose.....i strongly believe in the power of refusing to lose.......
    I actually was not in any way trying to imply that you were taking things personal. I always appreciate level-headedness, as I do here.

Since this debate is taking an ad hominem turn, I'd like to point out that I have also competed in a very high-level environment many, many times in my life (and by high-level, I am talking about international competition, with multiple US national championships in my event -- its not very often that I get to brag about it ). What I've found is that when you get to the highest level in any sport, at a certain point you will have sifted out all the people who lack a strong enough will to win, and you are left competing only against the elite. At that level, everybody has a supreme will to win, otherwise they would not have gotten that far in the first place. From that elite group, what determines the winner is often not will, but a combination of natural talent, strategy, split-second execution, and -- of course -- luck. And I can tell you with apodictic certainty that in the years where I won my event, as well as in the years where I lost my event, my "will to win" was no less strong than it was any other year.

Bringing it back to this year's Duke team, I can promise you that every one of our players is infused with the highest competitiveness, the greatest possible will to win. Otherwise they never would have earned a spot on the roster to begin with. Our guys leave everything they have on the court, every time they go out there. And that fact will continue to be true, no matter how lucky or unlucky they may be in the coming weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Dude, what is with your style of writing? What's with the ellipses? Can't you just separate your thoughts with a period? You make some decent points, but it's near impossible to read.
    Yep... I have just skipped all those posts after the second one.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Is this the final version? Seems like there were rumors of an expanded version dropping later this week?
    The one on iTunes is the one they showed at CIS on the 2nd and it has more footage than the one they aired on TruTV so I'm assuming this is the expanded version.

Quote Originally Posted by kingboozer View Post
    The one on iTunes is the one they showed at CIS on the 2nd and it has more footage than the one they aired on TruTV so I'm assuming this is the expanded version.
    Awesome - thank you. Will be downloading it once I get home this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    Awesome - thank you. Will be downloading it once I get home this evening.
    Same. I almost forgot that the first time I checkd this thread I was actually interested in the documentary, haha. Got a little sidetracked . Excited to finally watch it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I actually was not in any way trying to imply that you were taking things personal. I always appreciate level-headedness, as I do here.

Since this debate is taking an ad hominem turn, I'd like to point out that I have also competed in a very high-level environment many, many times in my life (and by high-level, I am talking about international competition, with multiple US national championships in my event -- its not very often that I get to brag about it ). What I've found is that when you get to the highest level in any sport, at a certain point you will have sifted out all the people who lack a strong enough will to win, and you are left competing only against the elite. At that level, everybody has a supreme will to win, otherwise they would not have gotten that far in the first place. From that elite group, what determines the winner is often not will, but a combination of natural talent, strategy, split-second execution, and -- of course -- luck. And I can tell you with apodictic certainty that in the years where I won my event, as well as in the years where I lost my event, my "will to win" was no less strong than it was any other year.

Bringing it back to this year's Duke team, I can promise you that every one of our players is infused with the highest competitiveness, the greatest possible will to win. Otherwise they never would have earned a spot on the roster to begin with. Our guys leave everything they have on the court, every time they go out there. And that fact will continue to be true, no matter how lucky or unlucky they may be in the coming weeks.
    congrats on your successes...semms that you attribute it mostly to luck......luck, from my experiences, is a by product of the will to win...and the refusal to lose....vince lombardi agreed with me on this.......

Winners never make excuses for losing, especially before the game starts. That is something losers do. I never thought I would see the day that Duke fans would start cooking up excuses for losing before the devils even took the floor.
    ( see, i can type properly, but it takes me longer, LOL )

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post

Talent helps a whole helluva lot. Will can only take you so far. Talent for a sport or anything begets enjoyment from doing that sport or thing and enjoyment begets more practice and work which begets more success and eventually achievement at the highest level.

The will to win is highly correlated with talent and of the two I think talent is far more important. Let's get real. The 91-92 teams had a ton of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by tendev View Post
    Talent helps a whole helluva lot. Will can only take you so far. Talent for a sport or anything begets enjoyment from doing that sport or thing and enjoyment begets more practice and work which begets more success and eventually achievement at the highest level.

The will to win is highly correlated with talent and of the two I think talent is far more important. Let's get real. The 91-92 teams had a ton of talent.
    Tell me when was the last time the most talented team in the tournament won it ? Everybody has talent, loads of it.

Quote Originally Posted by stixof96 View Post
    Tell me when was the last time the most talented team in the tournament won it ? Everybody has talent, loads of it.
    2010, 2001, 1991 and 1992 are the only years I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    They are the same team. Laettner was there for both games.
    I know, I thought that my sarcasm was obvious. Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    2010, 2001, 1991 and 1992 are the only years I can think of.
    I hear ya daddy !!!!!........lol !!!!!

Maybe not the best thread for it, but closest one that came up in my search.. Thomas Hill states that he wasn't crying post-game...

http://deadspin.com/5897795/thomas-h...i-wasnt-crying

As a teenager who's first real duke memories was j.j and Shelden, this was a really good documentary showing just how good laettner Hurley hill and the rest of the 91-92 teams were

Just caught this again, shown on the NBA channel (216 on DirecTV). Nice part of an Independence Day Holiday viewing.

This was a 90-minute version, and even more enjoyable than the 60-minute show I saw the first time (on TRU TV?)
    Check local listings; believe it will be shown again soon.

Its on DVD too

Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa