Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Based on his defensive intensity I would say he stands a good chance to make an impact next year, regardless of how well his offensive playmaking abilities translate to the next level. Even with Austin gone, this team is pretty dangerous offensively, but is in immediate need of someone who can guard a quick 1-2. Sheed's combo of acceleration, length, and apparent desire to play D gives him an advantage over anyone in our current backcourt IMO. K has shown repeatedly in the past that as long as you can play good D (and play it within our system) that you will get minutes, in spite of your offensive deficiencies (Tyler, Lance, McClure being some of the more recent examples).

However, Sheed has way more offensive potential than a lot of our players that have historically fit that role. I think him and Alex will make significant impacts next year as new guys, with Sheeds main contribution being his defense.

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Yep, that was an article that DukeSportsBlog shared with my site. Credit should go there!
    But special thanks to you Jon for picking it up and disseminating it to the masses.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline09 View Post
    I actually wrote it for my site but Jon picked it up
    Yep, that was an article that DukeSportsBlog shared with my site. Credit should go there!
    My fault Mike. Great article and credit should go where credit is due. Great job!

Nom-enclature?

But special thanks to you Jon for picking it up and disseminating it to the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    My fault Mike. Great article and credit should go where credit is due. Great job!
    I actually wrote it for my site but Jon picked it up
    Having a scorecard is not enough at DBR. You can't tell the participants with knowing the noms de plume, the noms de guerre, or the noms de troll.

sage

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Having a scorecard is not enough at DBR. You can't tell the participants with knowing the noms de plume, the noms de guerre, or the noms de troll.

sage
    We are just a classy group of individuals.

This is from a Scout chat today on their new top 100:

Brad : ]
    Rasheed Sulaimon- is he a big impact player out of the gate? Who would you compare his game to and what are his weaknesses (aside from strength given his frame)? Thanks
    Wednesday April 18, 2012 1:41 Brad
    1:42
    Brian Snow: With Austin Rivers moving on and Gbinije transferring, I think Sulaimon gets real minutes from day one. He is a big time shooter and an elite defender. That combination will get him on the court very early at Duke.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Rasheed Sulaimon named second team ESPNHS All-America. http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-...-all-americans Weirdly this link says it was originally published in May of last year, but it is this year's team and I think it is new today.

Duke targets Tony Parker (3rd team) and Amile Jefferson (4th team) also on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Rasheed Sulaimon named second team ESPNHS All-America. http://espn.go.com/high-school/boys-...-all-americans Weirdly this link says it was originally published in May of last year, but it is this year's team and I think it is new today.

Duke targets Tony Parker (3rd team) and Amile Jefferson (4th team) also on the list.
    Other Duke targets Jabari Parker (1st team) and Julius Randle (2nd team).

Good point! I was focused on 2012 and didn't look for the 2013 names.

Any info yet as to whether we have a really good shot at either?

Not sure if this has been posted, but here is a great video of Rasheed's ability to penetrate. He is definitely more than a shooter.

A very impressive video! There is little doubt in my mind he will be a key element in Duke's rotation early on, and he looks vastly quicker and more explosive than most of the current guards. If his D is near what is spoken of and as he catches on to Duke's system, wouldn't at all surprise me if he is a starter rather sooner than later. And if Cook is also up to speed with lateral quickness and has improved his D, we could be looking at a very dynamic guard duo.

Quote Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted, but here is a great video of Rasheed's ability to penetrate. He is definitely more than a shooter.
    Boy, in that video he really reminds me of Nolan.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Boy, in that video he really reminds me of Nolan.
    I know this is just a highlight video but I don't think Nolan had that kind of handle as a freshman. Really looking forward to seeing Rasheed next year.

Quote Originally Posted by NM Duke Fan View Post
    A very impressive video! There is little doubt in my mind he will be a key element in Duke's rotation early on, and he looks vastly quicker and more explosive than most of the current guards. If his D is near what is spoken of and as he catches on to Duke's system, wouldn't at all surprise me if he is a starter rather sooner than later. And if Cook is also up to speed with lateral quickness and has improved his D, we could be looking at a very dynamic guard duo.
    You may be right and it would be odd to see Curry coming off the bench, but it may happen.

You may be right and it would be odd to see Curry coming off the bench, but it may happen.
    Several promising newcomers, 4 to be exact. We think/almost know that Alex will start and Marshall will back up his brother at the 5. We know Alex won't play 35 mpg, so there are 15 or so mpg at wing/SF. If Amile, a 4-who-looks-like-a-3, can play wing/SF D, that eliminates much worry about having to go with a 3-guard lineup for very long.

But if Amile comes along a little more slowly, and if - as some combo of guru-talk, eye-test, EK poster-enthusiasm, and sheer rumor seem to imply - Rasheed is an immediate contributor, we might see more 3-guard than last season's concerns might make us prefer.

We know that Rasheed begins as Seth's backup, say, 10 mpg. Is Amile the main backup for Alex? Or is that Rasheed, too? Or do Amile and Rasheed share time as Alex's backup at the wing/SF?

TBD, maybe 7-8 months from now. We'll all be mad at each other by then. But we'll still love our guys, new, returning, redshirts, NBA, Europe, even some transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    We'll all be mad at each other by then.
    Wait, we're not mad at each other yet?

I think Curry coming off the bench would signal an improvement in the team, as I think he (and Tyler) should be backups at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I think Curry coming off the bench would signal an improvement in the team, as I think he (and Tyler) should be backups at Duke.
    I mentioned this is another thread a few months ago, but I agree. If a healthy Quinn Cook makes the
    type of improvements we all are looking for, particularly defensively, then pairing him with a dynamic 2-way guard like Sulaimon, if he's as good and as ready as many seem to anticipate, I think that would be a very solid backcourt. Adding Sulaimon's size and defense, as opposed to Curry's strengths, would help in a number of areas.

Seth brings a lot, but I think having him off the bench as an instant offense scorer, still playing plenty of minutes, but without the responsibilities and pressure of being the starting 2-guard, would strengthen the team. I know many have said "no way. He's a senior starter no matter what." So I probably won't get to see what I'm envisioning here, but I do think the team might be better with that Cook-Sulaimon starting backcourt.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I mentioned this is another thread a few months ago, but I agree. If a healthy Quinn Cook makes the
    type of improvements we all are looking for, particularly defensively, then pairing him with a dynamic 2-way guard like Sulaimon, if he's as good and as ready as many seem to anticipate, I think that would be a very solid backcourt. Adding Sulaimon's size and defense, as opposed to Curry's strengths, would help in a number of areas.

Seth brings a lot, but I think having him off the bench as an instant offense scorer, still playing plenty of minutes, but without the responsibilities and pressure of being the starting 2-guard, would strengthen the team. I know many have said "no way. He's a senior starter no matter what." So I probably won't get to see what I'm envisioning here, but I do think the team might be better with that Cook-Sulaimon starting backcourt.
    Maybe it is me - but he certainly does not look 6'4" on the court or he is playing against some really big players. At 15 seconds he gets announced and comes up to a teammate. If he is 6'4" then that kid must be 6'10 or taller- but they have no one on his team listed at over 6'6". Don't get me wrong- this kid is going to be great- but he is only adding size because he is taller than Seth, Quinn and Tyler which is really not saying too much.