Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Lost: Across The Sea

This is the make or break episode. The one where we are supposedly going to learn a great deal about the history of the Island and the relationship between Jacob and MIB (heck, we might even learn MIB's name).

If they pull this one off, if it makes sense with what we have seen so far, if we finally get an understanding of what the heck is really going on, then I have faith we will get a satisfying conclusion to the show.

I have my fingers crossed.

--Jason "rumor is we won't see any of the main characters (Jack, Kate, Ben, Hurley, Desmond) at all in tonight's episode" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

They have us hanging after that last episode. However, I usually don't like it when they do an episode like they did last week where they kill off people and then, the next episode doesn't even have the remaining characters in it. I was never a fan of those.

But I'm hoping for lots of answers tonight. They have to start answering questions, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    They have us hanging after that last episode. However, I usually don't like it when they do an episode like they did last week where they kill off people and then, the next episode doesn't even have the remaining characters in it. I was never a fan of those.

But I'm hoping for lots of answers tonight. They have to start answering questions, don't they?
    The time for questions is over. So stop asking them.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    The time for questions is over. So stop asking them.
    At first, that seemed like an abrupt answer, but on second thought, you might be right. I know that my questions have, quite often, been answered right here on this forum. If not here, the annotated reruns this season have given lots of answers. Maybe most of our questions come from missing an episode or from forgetting certain story line facts. For now I am satisfied. With every episode I feel a better understanding of what has been going on. Let's hope that it continues all the way through that extra 30 minutes they scheduled. I'll check back after tonight's episode if there are problems. Or, I'll just ask Bostondevil.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This is the make or break episode. The one where we are supposedly going to learn a great deal about the history of the Island and the relationship between Jacob and MIB (heck, we might even learn MIB's name).

If they pull this one off, if it makes sense with what we have seen so far, if we finally get an understanding of what the heck is really going on, then I have faith we will get a satisfying conclusion to the show.

I have my fingers crossed.

--Jason "rumor is we won't see any of the main characters (Jack, Kate, Ben, Hurley, Desmond) at all in tonight's episode" Evans
    For myself, I am not optimistic about the ending of the series for two reasons.

First, I have always been as or more interested in the mythology than the characters. Cuse and Lindelof have made it clear that they are more interested in the characters. Consequently, the telling of the mythology has been spotty and there are a lot of loose ends that never will or could be tied up. That is a shame because a more coherent road map from the start would have produced a more consistent story. More of the show was written on the fly than I had hoped would be the case.

Second, there has been so much build up over the past several years, that it will be difficult if not impossible for the show to match the anticipation. If this ends up as a typical good versus evil showdown, I am going to be very disappointed. Moreover, I think Cuse and Lindelof have become full of themselves because of the fanboy worship.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    At first, that seemed like an abrupt answer, but on second thought, you might be right. I know that my questions have, quite often, been answered right here on this forum. If not here, the annotated reruns this season have given lots of answers. Maybe most of our questions come from missing an episode or from forgetting certain story line facts. For now I am satisfied. With every episode I feel a better understanding of what has been going on. Let's hope that it continues all the way through that extra 30 minutes they scheduled. I'll check back after tonight's episode if there are problems. Or, I'll just ask Bostondevil.
    I believe that the previous poster was just poking fun at the rather silly catchphrase for this season... "The time for questions... is over!"

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    If this ends up as a typical good versus evil showdown, I am going to be very disappointed.
    What if it is evil vs. evil and there is no good side?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

is it the time for questions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    What if it is evil vs. evil and there is no good side?
    I'm good with that. I just want something a little more unexpected and creative. My guess is it will be a good versus evil thing with key characters (probably Jack) facing a moral dilemma at the end. Apparently, there are several alternate endings, which will be shown on the Jimmy Kimmel after show.

I just got done reading this interview with Damon and Carlton in NY Magainze.

They now freely admit that there was a lot of "making it up as we go along" to the show but they say they had pretty good ideas of where the final season would be back when they were making seasons 1 and 2. The only thing is, they felt like the show was wrapped up in other stuff (like the Hatch, the Others, time travel, etc) so they could not really bring in Jacob and MIB at that time because it would have radically altered the focus of the program. They do say they thought of Jacob and MIB in between seasons 1 and 2 but it just took them time to bring those characters to the forefront.

I suppose that makes sense. I mean, if we had gotten glimpses of Jacob, MIB, and the notion of "the Candidates" a while ago, it would have made much of the fun ride of the earlier seasons seem trivial at the time.

That said, I still doubt that they knew that MIB was the smoke monster or knew that the smoke monster was Jacob's rival back in seasons 1-4. There is a lot of stuff that happened with the smoke monster back then that simply does not make sense given what we know about MIB/smokey now.

Anyway, the article is full of really interesting stuff including why Sun did not tell Jin to leave the sub as it was sinking so he could be with Ji-Yeon.

--Jason "eager for tonight... Allison Janey (of West Wing fame) is one of the main characters tonight and she supposedly gives a TON of answers" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

They now freely admit that there was a lot of "making it up as we go along" to the show but they say they had pretty good ideas of where the final season would be back when they were making seasons 1 and 2. The only thing is, they felt like the show was wrapped up in other stuff (like the Hatch, the Others, time travel, etc) so they could not really bring in Jacob and MIB at that time because it would have radically altered the focus of the program. They do say they thought of Jacob and MIB in between seasons 1 and 2 but it just took them time to bring those characters to the forefront.

I suppose that makes sense. I mean, if we had gotten glimpses of Jacob, MIB, and the notion of "the Candidates" a while ago, it would have made much of the fun ride of the earlier seasons seem trivial at the time.

That said, I still doubt that they knew that MIB was the smoke monster or knew that the smoke monster was Jacob's rival back in seasons 1-4. There is a lot of stuff that happened with the smoke monster back then that simply does not make sense given what we know about MIB/smokey now.
    Obviously, the show has been entertaining because I'm still watching it. But to introduce something like the smoke monster at the outset without having a concrete plan for it is disappointing. The same with coming up with the two primary characters that drive the end game a year after the show was underway. I would love to see the proposal they brought to ABC when they pitched the series.

And I'm going to enjoying seeing how Adam and Eve prove Cuse and Lindelof knew how LOST would end from the start. I don't think their identity will prove anything for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JG Nothing View Post
    And I'm going to enjoying seeing how Adam and Eve prove Cuse and Lindelof knew how LOST would end from the start. I don't think their identity will prove anything for sure.
    They could make anyone into Adam and Eve and it would not prove anything.

-Jason "smokey and what the heck the Others were doing are the biggest plot holes in the show" Evans

Adam and Eve are Rose and Bernard. Guaranteed. I wouldn't be shocked if they appeared and died at the end of this episode.

I'm mostly just hoping the show has one massive twist left. I guess the most likely ones are Smokey = Aaron and the flash-sideways being "season 7," but it'd be nice if it was one I didn't see coming at all.

One last thing: Kate is somehow the key to defeating Man In Black. They're making too big a deal of her name being crossed off in the cave.

Good article. Thanks for the link, Jason.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Adam and Eve are Rose and Bernard. Guaranteed. I wouldn't be shocked if they appeared and died at the end of this episode.
    I've thought that for a while...but the island is in 2007 now. So unless there's another flash, I don't see how it could be Rose and Bernard. Unless they already died in between two of the flashes in Season 5.

Maybe it's MIB's parents, or the predecessors to Jacob and MIB, or the last pair of candidate finalists. Remember, they had the white and black stones on them when Jack found them in the cave.

EDIT: I guess someone could spin the wheel again though. Maybe I just hope it ties into the overall mythology more than just Rose/Bernard.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 05-11-2010 at 06:05 PM.

They could make anyone into Adam and Eve and it would not prove anything.

-Jason "smokey and what the heck the Others were doing are the biggest plot holes in the show" Evans
    Exactly. But, IIRC, Cuse and Lindelof have claimed the identity of Adam and Eve will show they had the ending already planned out from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    I've thought that for a while...but the island is in 2007 now. So unless there's another flash, I don't see how it could be Rose and Bernard. Unless they already died in between two of the flashes in Season 5.

Maybe it's MIB's parents, or the predecessors to Jacob and MIB, or the last pair of candidate finalists. Remember, they had the white and black stones on them when Jack found them in the cave.

EDIT: I guess someone could spin the wheel again though. Maybe I just hope it ties into the overall mythology more than just Rose/Bernard.
    One question I am sure will be answered is how MIB lost his original body (played by Titus Welliver). I wonder if he was "killed" somehow, maybe by or for Jacob. I'm going to bet Adam is MIB. Maybe that is why Richard was so surprised to find out Locke was MIB.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Maybe I just hope it ties into the overall mythology more than just Rose/Bernard.
    I don't know exactly how, but I think they will somehow tie in with the mythology. Maybe with them proving MIB wrong about all people being corruptible. They do have Jacob and MIB's white and black stones, after all.

They're just the only characters that make chronological sense (remember, the skeletons are supposed to only be 30-50 years old or so), assuming that there's not another time travel flash.

Great show so far, they're brothers, and MIB still doesn't have a name yet? haha wonder what they're waiting for. Interesting now the real question is who's this woman?

If MIB died in his originally form how did he have that " You know how bad I want to kill" part, wouldn't that have happened after all of this took place since they still seemed to be close? Idk but it was a really good episode to me.