Page 15 of 107 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    I didn't see the quote in the article you linked but if he did indeed say that, then we know a couple of things;

1) The kid has a good sense of humor
    2) He is perusing the DBR message boards so we need to keep everything positive.
    3)He is perusing the DBR message boards which has to mean Duke is at or near the top of his list
    4) The sooner we crank up the posts on this thread the sooner he will make a decision So keep those post a coming!!!!!!!

Oh my goodness, are you serious?

He didn't say that. It was a joke. That's why Greg_Newton inserted the brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    Wha... what are you doing? Who cares? Why would you ever say something about a recruit's mother that could even possibly be perceived as negative on a public Duke message board? Did you not read the Xavier/CJ Henry article posted YESTERDAY where the father explicitly stated they were having second thoughts about KU after they saw fans questioning on their family on message boards?

I realize that your intent was not to do this and that you were trying to faciliate discussion, but there is no reason to be focusing on any fears or potential negatives in this thread. There is a very good chance Harrison will check up on this discussion of him at some point (I know I would), and if there is a .0001% chance we could minutely sway his feelings toward Duke one way or the either, we absolutely need to to represent our instution well and avoid ANY potential damaging comments in this thread.

I realize you have a very negative and cynical outlook on Duke's future from reading your other posts in other threads, and that's okay. You make your points well enough. But please, please, please, keep your comments in threads about specific recruits positive. As for the defining his mom's job, speculating that he'll be a one-and-one when he has implied otherwise... can we please just drop it? It can only hurt Duke.
    Cumae Sybl has been banned from this board. See Jason Evans' comment on the last page of the thread titled "Available players..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Oh my goodness, are you serious?

He didn't say that. It was a joke. That's why Greg_Newton inserted the brackets.
    Lol... I'll admit, it was a rough paraphrase. Apologies for the confusion, although...

Quote Originally Posted by yancem
    2) He is perusing the DBR message boards so we need to keep everything positive."
    ...probably isn't a bad thing to assume anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress
    Cumae Sybl has been banned from this board. See Jason Evans' comment on the last page of the thread titled "Available players..."
    Thanks, I did see that... I think I posted that comment shortly before that happened. Harrison seems like a much smarter kid than Mr. Henry, but in any case it seems clear that recruiting threads on message boards are becoming bigger and bigger potential liabilities for coaches. Luckily, folks here tend to be pretty measured and civil with their comments, with the occaisonal bizarre exception...

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    This is great news.

I'm pretty skeptical about the loyalties of some of the low-post-count, negative posters. I suppose what it may be in a number of cases is:

1) you are a fan of School X, a rival of Duke for the services of recruit Y.
    2) You know that recruit Y and maybe his trusted friends/family, read message boards, incl. DBR
    3) You join DBR, pose as a Duke fan but generally write critical/negative posts about the program - keeping it nearly constructive enough to fly under the radar
    4) Hope recruit Y gets cold feet about Duke
    5) ???
    6) Profit!

I hope that recruits realize this sort of gamesmanship is probably going on many colleges' message boards - and I hope they don't put too much stock in anonymous chatter. If they really want to know what a program is like, go ask players who have been through the program. Coach K has a long track record and a lot of former players. Go talk to some of them!

On other message boards I frequent, they tend to expose the aliases of former banned posters so you know exactly what their agendas are from their previous posting history (and thus are easier to disregard). In any event, I hope Harrison feels that most Duke fans will appreciate whatever he decides to contribute to the univeristy, should he decide to attend Duke.

If a high school athlete is smart enough to be recruited by Duke University, then I suspect they're smart enough to figure out that message boards are inherently subject to sabotage.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If a high school athlete is smart enough to be recruited by Duke University, then I suspect they're smart enough to figure out that message boards are inherently subject to sabotage.
    ...and that there is plenty of anti-Duke sentiment in college basketball, even including some in the media. A young man deciding to play for Duke will automatically be scrutinized very closely, and cheered against by many.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    ...and that there is plenty of anti-Duke sentiment in college basketball, even including some in the media. A young man deciding to play for Duke will automatically be scrutinized very closely, and cheered against by many.
    If they want us to play the villain, let them. Lots of people love Darth Vader, the Joker and Ric Flair too

I just seen an interview with him and he sounds alot like Shane Battier

I believe this issue -and the related issue of the perception of Duke as not a "cool" basketball school (as compared to say the mid - late 90's) - has been the biggest factor negatively affecting our recruiting in recent years.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I believe this issue -and the related issue of the perception of Duke as not a "cool" basketball school (as compared to say the mid - late 90's) - has been the biggest factor negatively affecting our recruiting in recent years.
    Agree. It should be mentioned more often in discussions about "what's wrong with our recruiting?"

And here's an area where I think Coach K's connection with the Olympics and those players works to our benefit. It's a positive image.

Agree. It should be mentioned more often in discussions about "what's wrong with our recruiting?"

And here's an area where I think Coach K's connection with the Olympics and those players works to our benefit. It's a positive image.
    I agree. While I disagree with Coach K's statement that there are no negatives at all to his coaching of the Olympic team, I do agree that it's a net positive for the Duke program. And I think the biggest area in which it is a positive is in recruiting.

As many of us remember Duke's glory years from the late-80s through 2001, the reality is that most of the kids Coach K is recruiting now were very young the last time Duke won a title. The 16-year olds he's recruiting probably barely remember Duke winning in 2001 (when they were 8). And almost none of the recruits were even born back when we won back to back titles. And thus the image that most recruits have seen during their formative years has been a predominantly less athletic team that hasn't experienced much NCAA tournament success.

The Olympic experience re-establishes Duke's connection to something special in the eyes of recruits. They get to see Coach K winning championships and they see Coach K working well with the NBA elite. Not that it was an absolute necessity, but it certainly helps.

I wish a few college players would be named to the Olympic team. Wasn't Laetner a dream team member? That would make it even more enticing to play for the best coach on the planet year round.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    As many of us remember Duke's glory years from the late-80s through 2001, the reality is that most of the kids Coach K is recruiting now were very young the last time Duke won a title. The 16-year olds he's recruiting probably barely remember Duke winning in 2001 (when they were 8). And almost none of the recruits were even born back when we won back to back titles. And thus the image that most recruits have seen during their formative years has been a predominantly less athletic team that hasn't experienced much NCAA tournament success.
    Flawed thinking. Most of them don't remember MJ playing bball either but he's still pretty popular - as is Duke.

Duke has NEVER been known for it's "coolness" so any of you that think that is the case you're truly fooling yourselves. I'm from Durham - trust me I know. Great atmosphere - yes. Cool? Well that just depends...

When we went to party in high school at college campuses - it was UNC's Gray Hall, NCCU, NC A&T, and sometimes even NC State. I even attended many parties at NCSSM with Grant Hill and Rodney Rogers in attendence. Rarely was it Duke. Unless ya know, there was a big bonfire going on or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I wish a few college players would be named to the Olympic team. Wasn't Laetner a dream team member? That would make it even more enticing to play for the best coach on the planet year round.
    USA basketball is more than just the SENIOR team. That's why Seth Curry is on the U19 team now...

Hilarious!!!! Do you guys not remember when Duke played UNLV in the 90s? Our cool factor was about ZERO. Versus Michigan's fab 5? Once again - about ZERO.

I disagree

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Flawed thinking. Most of them don't remember MJ playing bball either but he's still pretty popular - as is Duke.

Duke has NEVER been known for it's "coolness" so any of you that think that is the case you're truly fooling yourselves. I'm from Durham - trust me I know. Great atmosphere - yes. Cool? Well that just depends...

When we went to party in high school at college campuses - it was UNC's Gray Hall, NCCU, NC A&T, and sometimes even NC State. I even attended many parties at NCSSM with Grant Hill and Rodney Rogers in attendence. Rarely was it Duke. Unless ya know, there was a big bonfire going on or something.
    It's not flawed thinking. You're talking about an entirely different thing here.

Yes, young people surely still think of Jordan as a great player. Even those who never saw him play. But kids don't cheer for the Bulls simply because Jordan won championships with the Bulls in a time before they can remember, do they? No, they cheer for the teams/individuals that resonate positively with them in their formative years.

For comparison - I know that Bill Russell was a great basketball player. But I don't cheer for the Celtics just because he won a bunch of titles before I was born. Instead, I'm a Bulls fan, because I watched Jordan in my formative years.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem that can't be overcome. I'm just saying that the image we have of Duke basketball (which can have a different image altogether from Duke University as a whole) is almost certainly not the same as Duke bball's image with 10-18 year old kids. And because of that, Coach K coaching the Olympic team has been (and hopefully will continue to be) a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post

Likewise, I strongly disagree. There is a difference between the "coolness" of the institution and the coolness or "hype-ness" or "dope-ness" of a particular sports program. Duke was the IT program of the mid to late 90s, but that is no longer the case. It's how we were able to land classes like Battier-Brand-Burgess-Avery and Williams-Boozer-Dunleavy. There is no question this is directly attributable to the media (mostly ESPN but others as well -- Billy Packer, etc.) and their influence on Duke-hating. You have to wonder how much guys like Patterson, and Wall, and Monroe, and Brandan Wright want to go to a school where there is a good chance they are going to be hated NATIONALLY due to the name on the front of their jersey. If you're a parent, do you want your kid going to a school where they might "become the next Wojo or J.J." and have fans across the country screaming "F*** YOU ____!"

I hope that the very promising 2010 class is demonstrating that the Olympic influence is helping our recruiting and restoring the prestige and desirability of playing for Duke basketball.

By the way, speaking of coolness, who remembers the t-shirts that said DUKE - It even sounds cool? Do they sell those any more?
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Likewise, I strongly disagree. There is a difference between the "coolness" of the institution and the coolness or "hype-ness" or "dope-ness" of a particular sports program. Duke was the IT program of the mid to late 90s, but that is no longer the case. It's how we were able to land classes like Battier-Brand-Burgess-Avery and Williams-Boozer-Dunleavy. There is no question this is directly attributable to the media (mostly ESPN but others as well -- Billy Packer, etc.) and their influence on Duke-hating. You have to wonder how much guys like Patterson, and Wall, and Monroe, and Brandan Wright want to go to a school where there is a good chance they are going to be hated NATIONALLY due to the name on the front of their jersey. If you're a parent, do you want your kid going to a school where they might "become the next Wojo or J.J." and have fans across the country screaming "F*** YOU ____!"

I hope that the very promising 2010 class is demonstrating that the Olympic influence is helping our recruiting and restoring the prestige and desirability of playing for Duke basketball.

By the way, speaking of coolness, who remembers the t-shirts that said DUKE - It even sounds cool? Do they sell those any more?
    Errrrr not bad points there, but could this go in a different thread? Hopefully Harrison isn't checking up on his thread today!

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    It's not flawed thinking. You're talking about an entirely different thing here.

Yes, young people surely still think of Jordan as a great player. Even those who never saw him play. But kids don't cheer for the Bulls simply because Jordan won championships with the Bulls in a time before they can remember, do they? No, they cheer for the teams/individuals that resonate positively with them in their formative years.

For comparison - I know that Bill Russell was a great basketball player. But I don't cheer for the Celtics just because he won a bunch of titles before I was born. Instead, I'm a Bulls fan, because I watched Jordan in my formative years.

I'm not saying it's a huge problem that can't be overcome. I'm just saying that the image we have of Duke basketball (which can have a different image altogether from Duke University as a whole) is almost certainly not the same as Duke bball's image with 10-18 year old kids. And because of that, Coach K coaching the Olympic team has been (and hopefully will continue to be) a good thing.
    Ahhhhh, but you decided to juxtapose two different things. I compared apples to apples, i.e. Duke to Duke and Jordan to Jordan - NOT the Bulls as how they relate to Jordan.