View Poll Results: Which of these are among your favorite Duke players of all time? (Multi-choice)

Voters
125. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alaa Abdelnaby

10 8.00%
  • Bobby Hurley

103 82.40%
  • Casey Sanders

7 5.60%
  • Dahntay Jones

30 24.00%
  • Dick Davenzio

13 10.40%
  • Glen Smiley

6 4.80%
  • Jay Bilas

42 33.60%
  • Jon Scheyer

17 13.60%
  • Patrick Johnson

8 6.40%
  • Nolan Smith

6 4.80%
  • Ro McLeod

21 16.80%
  • Wojo

69 55.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Favorite Duke Player- Prelim poll #1 (Multiple-choice)

Here is the first of the favorite player polls. Reminder, this is a MULTIPLE CHOICE POLL, meaning you can vote for as many players as you want!! But, the more you vote for, the less weight your vote will carry.

If you are confused about what is going on, please consult the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

4, and only 4, players from this poll will advance on to the one-on-one matchups of the Round of 32. If we get a reasonable number of votes and it is clear that 4 players have seperated themselves from the rest in this poll then I will close this poll in about 24 hours. In any event, I will try to give at least a hour warning before I close it in case folks want to wait until the end to figure out how to cast their votes.

--Jason "let the voting begin!" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 10-11-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Just to disclose who my favorite player of all time in any sport is (sorry, Marino, Pendleton, Payne Stewart), I love how only one guy in this poll is referred to with just one name.

I'd also like to point out that Evans hit 1500 posts before I hit 1200.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Just to disclose who my favorite player of all time in any sport is (sorry, Marino, Pendleton, Payne Stewart), I love how only one guy in this poll is referred to with just one name.

his jersey was the first and only jersey purchase i have made...although i got him to sign it at a game a year or two back and gave it to my sister for her bday, so now I kinda need to get a new one. All i've got is a Dunleavy Warriors throwback jersey, but even thats outdated now...

Prediction

I forsee Hurley and Wojo easily separating themselves from the pack in this group. The next two will be a bit closer.

At 3, how can you leave out "the push-ups" -- that was one of the best Duke dunks ever!

And to round out 4, you've got to include the Ghostface Killa...

Dick DeVenzio

This first preliminary round contains one of my favorite players:

Dick DeVenzio

He was one of many players from Pennsylvania recruited by Vic Bubas.
    Bob Green

He wasn't my pick, but just thinking of McLeod's lay in with just under a minute remaining in the '98 Carolina game gives me chills.

And the score is 77-75...

Finally found where the weather suits my clothes – and settled down in Brentwood, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    This first preliminary round contains one of my favorite players:

Dick DeVenzio

He was one of many players from Pennsylvania recruited by Vic Bubas.

I agree with you, Bob. DeVenzio was "the man" in the late 60s/early 70s. There was no one else I could vote for! (After all, check out my picture!)

Grey Devil
    Last edited by Grey Devil; 10-11-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Left out a key comment

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I forsee Hurley and Wojo easily separating themselves from the pack in this group. The next two will be a bit closer.

At 3, how can you leave out "the push-ups" -- that was one of the best Duke dunks ever!

And to round out 4, you've got to include the Ghostface Killa...
    One of my favorite things as a Duke fan is to be able to refer to certain events with such simple phrases - the tip in, the shot, the pushups - and have everyone know what it means.

Disappointed

That Robert Brickey isn't on this list.

Remember this is only poll number 1; plenty of places for players to show up.

I did have a question; who is this "Nolan Smith" guy who got six votes, which is as many as Alaa?

I'm going to catch heat for saying this, but Wojo is one of my least favorite duke players to have watched. I was in the same graduating class. His play over the last couple of years of his career will never erase in my memory his first couple of years. Add in Wayne Turner and the collapse.

I'll close this poll after dinner time tonight.

For folks who are confused, I again urge you to check out the stickied thread at the top of the board.

-Jason "can Ro make a comeback? He's sitting in 5th place. I think Bilas is getting a real announcer boost, his vote is not based on his playing career" Evans

Agree completely. I am class of '86 and remember him as the 6th best player that year after Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson, Amaker and the freshman edition of Danny Ferry.

McLeod OTOH was the leader of the 1998 team that won the ACCT and regular season. Brand had more talent even as a Frosh, but McLeod set the tone and took (and made) most of the big shots.
    Last edited by The Gordog; 10-11-2007 at 01:17 PM.
    The Gordog

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

The man to whom you refer NEEDS no more than one name!

BTW - I met Dan Marino once at a bar in NYC. Super nice guy, and also one of my favorites.

No love for Alaa Abdelnaby? Truly dismaying. My brother and I used to love giggling at our own creative ways of mispronouncing his name as we came of age as Duke fans during the early golden age.

Bilas?

I'm a little surprised that Jay Bilas is not getting any more votes than he's received so far.
    Tom Mac

ONLY 6 VOTES FOR CASEY SANDERS?!?!??!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY BACKBOARD SLAPS HE HAD?!?!? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY POINTS HE PUT UP IN THE BLUE-WHITE GAME?!?!?!?!

(And yes... I am aware that I am virutually yelling.. this should tell you how upset I am about this.)

obviously, hurley is the man!

and, i'm still probably the biggest Thomas 'T' Hill on the DBR, and the dude didn't even make the poll.

I MEAN, THE AUDACITY!

dth.

dang- three replies in one post, a first for me

Quote Originally Posted by trinity92 View Post
    That Robert Brickey isn't on this list.
    There are 8 polls. This is the 1st of 8. Brickey is in the 2nd one.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I'll close this poll after dinner time tonight.
    You meant to say after "supper", right?

Quote Originally Posted by MulletMan View Post
    ONLY 6 VOTES FOR CASEY SANDERS?!?!??!! DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY BACKBOARD SLAPS HE HAD?!?!? DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY POINTS HE PUT UP IN THE BLUE-WHITE GAME?!?!?!?!
    Nolan Smith hasn't played a college game yet and yet he's tied with Casey.

For the youngsters among us, let me make a mid-game case for Glen Smiley. A truly legendary half-court offensive player. The problems came when he had to run up and down the floor a couple of times. Possibly connected to the six-pack he inhaled within about 10 minutes after arriving back at the section from practice. A personality one can't even begin to describe.

I could be wrong, but I think there were a lot more characters back in the days of "A win doesn't count unless your hungover." Glad to see one of them in this contest.