Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Cheap Shot on Singler VIDEO

This was created by a Duke Hater, but here is the video of the very OBVIOUSLY intentional elbow.

This is pretty terrible. I wonder if the ACC reviews these things?

http://rushthecourt.net/2009/03/01/d...-own-medicine/

Not sure how the refs missed this one...it was in the open court near the play. Very dangerous play. This was a horribly officiated game. I hope it is reviewed and a big deal is made of it. If Singler had done this, it would have been the lead on Sportscenter and we would have had to hear about it for as long as Singler stays at Duke.

The guy stuck out his elbow and Singler ran into it... he didn't swing it backwards like Singler did to Hansbrough. I didn't think it was vicious, but I don't know what the guy was thinking... it seemed like a really poor attempt to box out.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    The guy stuck out his elbow and Singler ran into it... he didn't swing it backwards like Singler did to Hansbrough. I didn't think it was vicious, but I don't know what the guy was thinking... it seemed like a really poor attempt to box out.
    I think you are being sarcastic, but I can't be sure. I hope you are.

Uh... which play did you watch, man? Wanna look at that again?

The broadcast I watched did not show the elbow but did see Singler go down and stay down for a possession. The announcers didn't say why.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Uh... which play did you watch, man? Wanna look at that again?
    I think he was joking about Singler running into the elbow. There is no way somebody reasonably believes that haha. The guy doesn't move any part of his body to block out, sees Singler running in, raises his elbow and moves it right towards Singler's head as he runs in. It's not as if this is a play open to interpretation...

You are being way too kind FireOgilvie. Actually, I think Singler should have been T’d up for his flagrant foul on Bell’s elbow with his neck. He is lucky that Bell is not out for the season with an elbow injury.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think you are being sarcastic, but I can't be sure. I hope you are.
    I actually wasn't.

I watched the play about 20 times. The guy plants his feet, sticks up his elbow, and gets Singler in the shoulder and then in the neck as Singler runs through. Yeah, it was a foul, but he didn't SWING the elbow backwards, he just kind of stuck it out there. I honestly don't think it was half as bad as G's elbow to Hansbrough.

Edit: I'm obviously the only one that thinks that this is the case. That's okay. Maybe I'm too trusting of Virginia Tech basketball players.

I actually wasn't.

I watched the play about 20 times. The guy plants his feet, sticks up his elbow, and gets Singler in the shoulder and then in the neck as Singler runs through. Yeah, it was a foul, but he didn't SWING the elbow backwards, he just kind of stuck it out there. I honestly don't think it was half as bad as G's elbow to Hansbrough.
    So you're saying the guy clotheslined Singler? Because I'm pretty sure thats not a legal basketball move and would probably still be an intentional/flagrant foul.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    I think he was joking about Singler running into the elbow. There is no way somebody reasonably believes that haha. The guy doesn't move any part of his body to block out, sees Singler running in, raises his elbow and moves it right towards Singler's head as he runs in. It's not as if this is a play open to interpretation...
    I have the same interpretation as you, I just don't think it was that bad. I don't think the guy was actually trying to hurt him or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So you're saying the guy clotheslined Singler? Because I'm pretty sure thats not a legal basketball move and would probably still be an intentional/flagrant foul.
    Never mind basketball. That's not a legal football play!

I have the same interpretation as you, I just don't think it was that bad. I don't think the guy was actually trying to hurt him or anything.
    Dude, maybe you've never been elbowed in the throat by a 230 lb guy while running full speed. It hurts. It's dangerous.

It was a flagrant foul and a missed call. Thankfully Singler wasn't seriously injured.

I was responding to the quote in the article that said,

"Yesterday, Virginia Tech’s Terrell Bell decided to take matters into his own hands and leveled Singler with an elbow that was much more malicious than the prior Duke elbows."

I didn't think it was "much more malicious than the prior Duke elbows."

Which one was worse, this or when Gerald Henderson broke UNC's star player's nose?

This was far worse, b/c there was no play made on the ball. This is NOT a legal blockout move, and never could be confused for one.

Henderson's elbow was very clearly a play made on the ball (the ball was deflected which changed things dramatically). I'll grant that maybe he shouldn't have been going that hard after a blocked shot in a game that was already decided, but it was a play on the ball gone wrong. This was a deliberate cheap shot. period.

"Yesterday, Virginia Tech’s Terrell Bell decided to take matters into his own hands and leveled Singler with an elbow that was much more malicious than the prior Duke elbows."

Which one was worse, this or when Gerald Henderson broke UNC's star player's nose?
    Keep digging. You haven’t reached bottom yet.

The outcome? Clearly, Henderson's elbow caused much more damage. I think this is worse, though, due to the obvious intent. In this case, he intentionally gave an elbow to the neck, while G's elbow is much more debatable. (Personally, I think G didn't intentionally try to hit Hansbrough and was going for the ball, but G was out of control with it unnecessarily and caused an unsafe situation).

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDuke Dad View Post
    Keep digging. You haven’t reached bottom yet.
    Give me a break. I thought I was entitled to my opinion.

Yes, of course you are. However that doesn’t give you immunity from being criticized for what you said.

You are, F.O. I guess it just shows how open to interpretation calls can be. For me, there seems to be a measured intent by the guy to see how far he can stick his elbow into Kyle's neck. You just don't see many block-outs performed on a guy's Adam's apple.