Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    ... not covering themselves with tattoos...
    I agree with 99% of your post, but I just have a very, very minor quibble here. I may not have any tatttoos myself, but a number of our players have them, and as far as I'm aware they have all been very high-character people. There's nothing about having a tattoo in itself which should be looked down upon, at Duke or elsewhere.

Offensive tattoos would be a whole 'nother story, but if something (an event, person, quote, or whatever) is very important to someone, there is nothing wrong in expressing that.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    It's pretty hard not to just laugh at all the optimistic horse pooey being spread throughout this thread. Why? Let me count the ways:
    • Mason - regressing, as a number of experts have pointed out
    • Ryan - injury-prone his whole career at Duke, IIRC
    • Josh - never supports his teammates, bad influence
    • Marshall - another Plumlee? Another one? C'mon, enough already
    • Alex - another Singler, another Dunleavy? Right.... more like another Barnes
    • Andre - can't shoot, never could, needs to change his form, totally
    • Rasheed - overrated, disappeared in all-star games. Why did K give up on Tokoto?
    • Seth - bad genes, has never acclimated to ACC-level competition, big mistake leaving Liberty
    • Tyler - no clutch shot, no leadership, no defense, no spirit, no smile
    • Quinn - shoot-first PG, who needs that?
    • Todd - might be Duke's best big man, but he's in K's doghouse, forever, I guess
    • K - maybe the Magic will hire him this summer

Optimism, schmoptimism, you nutters need to get real. Duke might - might - finish ahead of GT or BC next season, but 7 W's probably the ceiling in ACC. We're gonna regret making fun of Carolina for its NIT runner-up banner. At least they made the NIT. Duke won't even make the CBI or the CIT.

Long, long season. Take it to the bank.
    This is the most honest picture painted of this squad, minus Josh supporting his team mates which he does and does a lot. This team has potential but all the optimisim is quiet irrational really. This past season should have shown us 4 things. 1. The plumlees aren't very effective 2. Dawkins/Curry aren't very reliable, ever, nor is Kelly 3. Cook/Thorton/Hairston are mediocre at best and 4. The Duke coaching staff needs new blood, keep Nate but wojo/collins need to go, get some fresh talent on staff. If you doubt any of this then go watch a replay of the Lehigh game, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Analogy View Post
    This is the most honest picture painted of this squad, minus Josh supporting his team mates which he does and does a lot. This team has potential but all the optimisim is quiet irrational really. This past season should have shown us 4 things. 1. The plumlees aren't very effective 2. Dawkins/Curry aren't very reliable, ever, nor is Kelly 3. Cook/Thorton/Hairston are mediocre at best and 4. The Duke coaching staff needs new blood, keep Nate but wojo/collins need to go, get some fresh talent on staff. If you doubt any of this then go watch a replay of the Lehigh game, end of story.
    You clearly missed the sarcasm in that post. None of that was at all intended to be honest. I apologize if I also missed the sarcasm in your post (though it doesn't come across as sarcastic).

I honestly can't tell if posts like these are parody or not.

Now THAT'S funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    Hi,

If this was supposed to be funny, it wasn't.

GO DUKE!
    That crack about Seth Curry having bad genes was pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Austin was not the reason we were small on the perimeter. In fact, Austin was 6"4" (SG) playing the point on offense. What made us small on the perimeter, was Tyler, Seth and Andre. I certainly hope we are not in that same situation this year. We have Alex and Sheed that bring more height and length to the perimeter. Marshall at 7"0 gives us more height off the bench. I look for Ryan and Mason to be in the starting rotation from the beginning. Our season will be good or not so good with how we play defense and that's where my main concerns come. Will we be a better defensive team? GoDuke!w
    Well I think Austin did force us to play small because he played the same position as Curry, SG. Both were going to start because they were both very good. But neither of them are PGs and we needed someone to play PG so Thornton and Cook also had to start. That left us with a PG and 2 SG on the floor a lot. Initially, K wanted Curry to play the point so he wouldn't have to play another small guard but could play Dawkins or possibly Murphy before his concussion. Niether worked out so we replaced Dawkins with Thornton/Cook in the starting lineup. I realize that Dawkins was no defensive stalwart or great rebounder, so his extra inches didn't help much anyway. However, with Rivers gone and Murphy healthy, we can play a traditional lineup. Dawkins can remain the 6th man and bring offense off the bench from the 2 or 3 spot depending on the matchup. Sulaimon can come in for a defensive spark as well, so we have much better flexibility.

Hard to believe we actually won a game last year, let alone won Maui and fell a game short of the top seed in the ACC conference. I thought we were like a #2 seed or something last year but must be confused.

Or maybe Austin did all that by himself, without any significant input from his teammates and coaches. (I'd add Miles' contributions, but that has apparently already been discounted by #1 above).

Who knows.

Count me as soimeone who thinks we'll perhaps be okay next year, and in many ways will run more like a traditional Duke team now that we are not trying to run everything through Austin.

Howdy...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Hey, how are you doing?

Consider this a formal return greeting from myself and the rest of the DBR posters. You no longer have to start all your posts with "Hi"
    Hi,

I don't have to, but I like to. If I like to, what's wrong with that?

GO DUKE!

Ok ok

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Pfyster View Post
    That crack about Seth Curry having bad genes was pretty funny.
    You got me there, that was pretty funny in its own way. I just wasn't laughing.

GO DUKE!

This is the most honest picture...
    Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    None of that was at all intended to be honest.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    I honestly can't tell...
    There's no accounting for taste.

There's an honesty problem on DBR, or at least on this thread.

As the mods are too flaky to control either the honesty or dishonesty of posters, I myself am going to do some investigating. Starting with me.
    To quote Bob Dylan, "I'm home investigatin' myself. Hope I don't find out too much... good God!"

[Btw, do any of the mods have day jobs? The honesty-problem, alone, is enough to keep all of them full-time busy.]

Thread relevance: I'm not exactly sure - to be perfectly honest - how Duke will fare next season. And seeing that Slackerb has just posted a new thread re Calvin's return, I can honestly say that's real news.

True, to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Well I think Austin did force us to play small because he played the same position as Curry, SG. Both were going to start because they were both very good. But neither of them are PGs and we needed someone to play PG so Thornton and Cook also had to start. That left us with a PG and 2 SG on the floor a lot. Initially, K wanted Curry to play the point so he wouldn't have to play another small guard but could play Dawkins or possibly Murphy before his concussion. Niether worked out so we replaced Dawkins with Thornton/Cook in the starting lineup. I realize that Dawkins was no defensive stalwart or great rebounder, so his extra inches didn't help much anyway. However, with Rivers gone and Murphy healthy, we can play a traditional lineup. Dawkins can remain the 6th man and bring offense off the bench from the 2 or 3 spot depending on the matchup. Sulaimon can come in for a defensive spark as well, so we have much better flexibility.
    But it wasn't Austin's fault that Tyler, Seth and Quinn were not elite point guards(at least not yet). We tried Seth, Austin and Andre as our starting perimeter players. That left Quinn and Tyler being the help of the bench. But no one stepped up defensively and Coach K had to experiment for most of the year. Had Seth been a better ball handler a back court of Austin and Seth would have worked, imho. But he wasn't a good ball handler against good defensive teams. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    I agree with 99% of your post, but I just have a very, very minor quibble here. I may not have any tatttoos myself, but a number of our players have them, and as far as I'm aware they have all been very high-character people. There's nothing about having a tattoo in itself which should be looked down upon, at Duke or elsewhere.

Offensive tattoos would be a whole 'nother story, but if something (an event, person, quote, or whatever) is very important to someone, there is nothing wrong in expressing that.
    Yeah, I knew the tattoo comment was going to bother some people. I just went ahead and said it anyway because I was trying to be honest about my feelings. I haven't noticed Duke players having ostentatious tattoos, which is the main problem I have with tattoos in a general sense, but that certainly doesn't mean they don't have something like that under their jersey. I know that there is definitely a generation gap (and perhaps a cultural gap as well) on this issue. I grew up in the 70's and 80's while Duke players of today grew up in the 90's and 2000's. Attitudes about tattoos have changed a lot from my childhood to today. And yes, I agree with you that there is nothing about having a tattoo in itself which should be looked down upon. It's just one of my personal biases. Still, for what it's worth I know for a fact that many of the people that do interviewing for jobs share my bias. I hope that if any of my kids ever gets one or more tattoos that they are small, simple and in a place that is covered by clothing. But hey, what do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Hard to believe we actually won a game last year, let alone won Maui and fell a game short of the top seed in the ACC conference. I thought we were like a #2 seed or something last year but must be confused.

Or maybe Austin did all that by himself, without any significant input from his teammates and coaches. (I'd add Miles' contributions, but that has apparently already been discounted by #1 above).

Who knows.
    The only reason Duke even scored a point all season is that the refs are paid by Coach K to give us every single call. It's a conspiracy by the NCAA to give Duke the most attention. Coach K also sold his soul to the devil in 1995 (which is why he took so much time off) in return for magical powers of telekinesis that allow him to direct every shot into the basket. That's why we shoot so many threes. He hates big men, which is why they are instructed to only set screens and are forbidden from touching the ball unless it's a rebound.

Next year is looking pretty bleak. Our sole incoming recruit is grossly overrated, nobody will improve at all (they'll actually regress), and half of our team will probably transfer. The good news is that it will leave us with plenty of scholarships, though we'll strike out on everyone we go after. We haven't signed a good player since Elton Brand.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    To quote Bob Dylan, "I'm home investigatin' myself. Hope I don't find out too much... good God!"
    "Facts all come with points of view.
    Facts won't do what I want them to."

-- Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The good news is that it will leave us with plenty of scholarships, though we'll strike out on everyone we go after.
    I'm still laughing about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Pappa View Post
    Hey, how are you doing?

Consider this a formal return greeting from myself and the rest of the DBR posters. You no longer have to start all your posts with "Hi"

Kewl has been a DBR member for a long time, well before the 2007 conversion. I think he's omitted the "hi" only once. It's his signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewlswim View Post
    You got me there, that was pretty funny in its own way. I just wasn't laughing.

GO DUKE!
    Make that twice!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I did that for Big Pappa

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Make that twice!
    Hi,

I did that second one for Big Pappa. I think we (you and I, not Big Pappa and I) were freshman together in Wannamaker back in the day.

GO Duke!

This is dead-on. Absolutely on point. Collins joined the Duke staff in 2000, Wojo in 1999. That's 10 ACC championships since Wojo joined, 4 Final Fours, and 2 national championships. But what about 2012? I mean, ok regular season, but no ACC championship, and then the Lehigh loss. The overall coaching performance the last 10-12 years is totally irrelevant when compared to the last 2 games of the season.

Going forward I see no hope for Duke until we change out coaching staff. Fire Wojo and Collins, and, let's just be blunt here - K is way past his prime. Time to start looking for a replacement now, before Duke slides all the way into mediocrity. Quietly talk with Shaka Smart or one of the Miller brothers now, get it locked up before next season is done, and show K the door.