Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wow.. this guy sounds super organized. he already knows what he is going to do. His quotes about recruiting makes alot of sense.. "I am offering a gold mine when i walk through the door with a Duke education under my arm" Man when you think about it who wouldnt want to play for Duke if Duke is winning?

I remember when Franks had his first game something about he had to call Spurrier about what to do for pregame warmups.. I dont forsee that with Coach C

Cutcliffe Press Conference Audio

I've posted the full 50 minute press conference as as streaming audio file from the Roof Replacement Rumors blog.

The link is here.

Thanks again to all who patronized the site. We had over 7,500 unique visitors from all across the country and from around the world, and I hope that it filled a niche in the coverage of this coaching search.

Cutliffe Story

Actually, when Cutcliffe returned to the UT staff as Offensive Coordinator, his first meeting was with Ainge, who came strolling into his office with his hat on sideways and pretty much acting like the cocky punk that most people said he was.

Cutcliffe took one look at him and said "turn your #$%@ hat around and sit your @#$ down."

Ainge tucked tail and turned into a pretty decent quarterback under him. I wouldn't mess with Coach C!! No wonder K seems to like him.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I talked with Duke's most visible fan and he was seriously upbeat.
    Thanks for the overview and analysis. Superb as usual, Jim.

I really enjoyed watching the presser on line, and was tremendously impressed by Coach Cut. (self redacted several positive comments about our record next year that I think I'll keep to myself for now!)

And it is nice to know that Herb is happy with the hire. Seriously
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Short answers:
    1. 53, born 9/16/54

2. Loyalty to his staff, fired when he refused to fire his staff when the AD ordered a reorganization after his only poor season.
    Re #2:

Cutcliffe's willingness to be fired at Old Miss, rather than to terminate Assistant Coaches who did not deserve dismissal, is (in my opinion) THE most impressive part of Coach C's excellent resume. Integrity counts substantially in every facet of life. I suspect Coach C will be challenged by several "character questions" (recruiting and admissions, thuggishness -- rampant in Division I revenue sports, and individual student/athlete performance -- especially including academics -- and comportment) and his long-term successes will be largely based on his strength-of-character.

I'm betting he'll do well with these challenges and with building a Duke Football program, in which we all can take pride.

Cutcliffe's selection is an excellent one, our willingness to pay $1.5M annually is long overdue, and I applaud the Trustees, senior Administrators, and even our AD for their actions -- including a tough choice to dismiss Coach Roof, despite his generally excellent performance (notwithstanding Ws and Ls).

Quote Originally Posted by grimbogey View Post
    I've posted the full 50 minute press conference as as streaming audio file from the Roof Replacement Rumors blog.

The link is here.

Thanks again to all who patronized the site. We had over 7,500 unique visitors from all across the country and from around the world, and I hope that it filled a niche in the coverage of this coaching search.
    Here's hoping that that site and its clientele eventually morph into dukefootballreport.com.
    And thanks...I visited the site every day for the last couple of weeks.

I saw the press conference and can only say, WOW!!!! I am so impressed with him. His record speaks for itself, but he will alos be a great ambassador for Duke football in the community and in recruiting.

This is the kind of inspiring man that you want to follow into battle.

"Do you believe in miracles?" (Al Michael once asked.) Yes, Al, I do - I think Duke football under Coach C will once again rise to a level last seen during the glory days of the Sonny Jurgensen era!

Ikiru36 and Jarhead

Thank you very much for your replies.

I like this fellow already, simply based on his loyalty to his staff. Gyrenes are sorts like that too, huh?

Thanks

Whoever said Cutcliffe can't recruit simply doesn't know what he's talking about... He is known as a good recruiter, as well as an offensive guru, which are two main reasons why Charlie Weis brought him on board his staff at Notre Dame as soon as he was hired there... Cutcliffe left that situation for medical reasons, then returned to Tennessee when he regained his full health...

This is an outstanding hire by the Duke athletic admin... This is a guy who will make our program competitive, and do it the right way... My only concern is his health--he is older and has had heart problems... I agree, this is probably a last-stop type position for Cutcliffe, and a place where he will want to leave a legacy... This is tremendously exciting news!

Talking dukefottballreport.com

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Here's hoping that that site and its clientele eventually morph into dukefootballreport.com.
    And thanks...I visited the site every day for the last couple of weeks.
    Now that is a great idea. Go Coach C!!! Go Devils!!!:

Smile Of course it will help to spell it correctly..

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBlueDevil View Post
    Now that is a great idea. Go Coach C!!! Go Devils!!!:
    Here hoping for dukefootballreport.com!

From the DBR story: "Cutcliffe also spoke of appealing to the students, saying he’d go door to door in the dorms if he had to to generate some enthusiasm."

Dude, if you want to generate enthusiasm, just win games.

This is not a judgment on Cutcliffe in general, but really...

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    This is tremendously exciting news!
    Wait until you get a load of the staff he's putting together.

Let's get going!!!

I have not been this excited about Duke football in many a year.

RIP 'EM UP!
    TEAR 'EM UP!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, DUKE!!!!!

(Sorry for yelling, but I'm stoked!!!!!!!!!)

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I have not been this excited about Duke football in many a year.

RIP 'EM UP!
    TEAR 'EM UP!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, DUKE!!!!!

(Sorry for yelling, but I'm stoked!!!!!!!!!)
    I'm glad not the only one who knows some football cheers

There were three vignettes yesterday that I think might illustrate what makes the man tick.

1.Walking around Duke campus, looking for a sign, a penny, a nickel. Can't find anything because there's no trash on campus. Takes this as a sign that Duke is committed to excellence in all things. Details matter.

2.Met with some Duke players. Didn't have to tell them to sit up straight and put their feet on the floor because they already were. Good thing. Used this as a chance to compliment Roof and staff. Discipline matters.

3.Related conversation with seven-year-old-daughter. "Daddy, why do we have to sleep?" Used this as jumping off point for discussion of people who enjoy what they're doing so much they don't want to take time, off even to sleep. Apparently the man doesn't need much sleep. Now, as someone who gets seriously cranky when I don't get enough shut-eye, this sounds a little creepy to me but I think I get his point. Enthusiasm matters. Committment matters.

I also should mention that he claims to be in excellent health and he raised the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    I'm glad not the only one who knows some football cheers
    Rip 'em up was a standard cheer in the Indoor Stadium during the Bubas era.

Yes, I was there

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Rip 'em up was a standard cheer in the Indoor Stadium during the Bubas era.
    Yes, it was! I know because I was there! The cheer itself originated for football. I attended my first Duke game in 1959 (Army) and heard it then. Don't know when it was first used.

Other football cheers which have fallen by the wayside seem to be...

Hit him again! Hit him again! Harder! Harder!
    Fumble play! Fumble play! We want a fumble play!
    First and ten! Do it again! First and ten do ti again!

There was also a sound the fans made to follow the kicker to the ball for kick off... I think it was "Goooooooo (and as the ball is kicked) Duke!

Since you mentioned the Bubas era, where did you usually sit at the basketball games?

There was the short-lived "harass them, harass them. Make them relinquish the ball" cheer. During the smart-^$%^$%^$% years.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil in the Blue Dress View Post
    Yes, it was! I know because I was there! The cheer itself originated for football. I attended my first Duke game in 1959 (Army) and heard it then. Don't know when it was first used.

Other football cheers which have fallen by the wayside seem to be...

Hit him again! Hit him again! Harder! Harder!
    Fumble play! Fumble play! We want a fumble play!
    First and ten! Do it again! First and ten do ti again!

There was also a sound the fans made to follow the kicker to the ball for kick off... I think it was "Goooooooo (and as the ball is kicked) Duke!

Since you mentioned the Bubas era, where did you usually sit at the basketball games?
    I ushered - ending up holding the end of the rope at the end of the visiting team bench.