Cabin in the Woods (spoilerific discussion)

Loved, loved, loved it! What a great send-up of the entire horror genre. So many laughs!

Questions--

1) Weren't all the government folks pretty casual about what was going on the first 2/3rds of the movie considering the fate of the entire planet hung in the balance?

2) Why, why, why did they have a red button that set all the monsters free? Loved the result of that button, but WHAT WAS IT DOING THERE?!?!? Was there ever a point during the design of the facility where they said, "you know, what we really need is a way to allow all these evil, murderous, killing machines to get free and slaughter everyone in the control room. That could come in handy some day."

3) Ummm, I don't really get how the young Japanese schoolgirls fulfilled either the Jock or the Whore character molds. Or were the rules different for the Japanese evil gods?

-Jason "more later" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Two things (haven't seen the movie)...

Japanese school girls are a very traditional piece of Japanese horror. Think "Ringu." Also very popular in anime and the like.

Second... I am not a fan of horror, and from the sound of it this movie has some pretty brutal stuff. Can I ask how it brings about a lot of laughs, too?

Really?

REALLY?!?!

You mean all of ya'll did not go see this movie. I am disgusted at you! Anyone who saw The Three Stooges or Wrath of the Titans instead of seeing Cabin in the Woods should have their moviegoing card permanently revoked!!

This is the meta movie of all time! Hysterical, at times. It really is not very scary as it is so fantastic and insane that you don't even begin to get scared.

I wanna talk about it and ya'll are letting me down.

-Jason "sigh... no one wants to talk about the red button or the mermen?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I just saw it today, Jason - and definitely not what I was expecting. I think I really liked it, after I get over the fact that I wasn't jumping out of my seat scared like I was hoping (i.e. horror/comedy Drag Me To Hell which I really enjoyed)

However, you know what I'm going to remember most from this film?

Husband bulge. Ha!

And I'm totally with you on the giant red button - I was thinking the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Loved, loved, loved it! What a great send-up of the entire horror genre. So many laughs!

Questions--

1) Weren't all the government folks pretty casual about what was going on the first 2/3rds of the movie considering the fate of the entire planet hung in the balance?

2) Why, why, why did they have a red button that set all the monsters free? Loved the result of that button, but WHAT WAS IT DOING THERE?!?!? Was there ever a point during the design of the facility where they said, "you know, what we really need is a way to allow all these evil, murderous, killing machines to get free and slaughter everyone in the control room. That could come in handy some day."

3) Ummm, I don't really get how the young Japanese schoolgirls fulfilled either the Jock or the Whore character molds. Or were the rules different for the Japanese evil gods?

-Jason "more later" Evans
    The contract for the red button went to a company in the home district of the chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee. Originally the specification was to, "remove all evidence" in case of an investigation, but the actual removal part was never funded.

Having not seen the movie, could the button simply have been a nod to all the other similar "Why on earth would they do that?" moments in films (especially horror films?)

Saw it this afternoon.

Liked it a lot. My wife, who is a horror movie fan, didn't like it...said there wasn't much that was actually scary.

I thought the stoner character was terrific.

Saw it the other night. Wife is a huge horror fan. I didn't tell her much except that the Amy Acker conversation at the front of the movie was important.

It was a lot of fun. We've been completely into SuperNatural (reruns on TNT) for the last year. You watch that 2 - 3 times a day - and a Merman blowing blood out its blowhole - or ghouls shredding a body are just common.

But the story was good (it's Whedon, what do you expect), nice and campy. When it got a good RT critics score, I was slightly concerned (after all, Pirhana got a 93 from critics), but after Jason's writeup, decided to see it.

Glad we did. Couple of holes for a sequel (what caused the glitch upstairs? Why was the control room left unmanned?). Of course, how we deal with the ancient onces might also make for an interesting sequel.

I'm sure there was also at least 2 alternate endings (otherwise, why have the Bruckerman girl following them around the facility?):
    1) Stoner is killed, but not by monster of his choice. Ancient one still rises
    2) Stoner is killed by the one-armed girl - therefore making the world safe

Anyway, fun for all. If you haven't seen it, go.

Finally saw it this weekend. I'm curious how many movie references there were. I'm talking about things more specific than "zombies are from zombie movies" type stuff.

Cube - the shifting glass rooms where all the monsters were held
    The Strangers - the people in doll masks who duct taped and stabbed people
    Evil Dead - tree monster

I'm sure there are tons I missed.