Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Huh? Duke is America's Favorite College Team?

According to the recent Harris Poll Duke is America's favorite men's college team.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=1419405

"he Duke Blue Devils returned to the top spot in the annual Harris Poll inquiring fans favorite collegiate men’s and women’s basketball teams. The men’s team finished first, a spot they’ve garnered five of the last six years and in six of the 11 times the poll has been conducted since 1993, while the Duke women’s team finished tied for fourth in the poll, as well.

The poll was conducted by Harris Interactive between March 11-18, 2008, among a nationwide sampling of 2,513 adults from the United States, 611 of which followed college basketball."

With so many people cheering against them in every neutral venue, that's a bit hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    According to the recent Harris Poll Duke is America's favorite men's college team.
    http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...ATCLID=1419405

"he Duke Blue Devils returned to the top spot in the annual Harris Poll inquiring fans favorite collegiate men’s and women’s basketball teams. The men’s team finished first, a spot they’ve garnered five of the last six years and in six of the 11 times the poll has been conducted since 1993, while the Duke women’s team finished tied for fourth in the poll, as well.

The poll was conducted by Harris Interactive between March 11-18, 2008, among a nationwide sampling of 2,513 adults from the United States, 611 of which followed college basketball."

With so many people cheering against them in every neutral venue, that's a bit hard to believe.
    I don't know what their methodology was but I wholeheartedly disagree with this. I have the daily experiences to prove it, haha...

It's not a contradiction to be the most popular and most hated team.

Quote Originally Posted by VaDukie View Post
    It's not a contradiction to be the most popular and most hated team.
    Exactly. As I pointed out in this post, according to facebook, Duke is #2 on the favorite list and #1 on the hated list. Here are the updated standings:

Favorite NCAAB Team Pages
    1 North Carolina Tar Heels (39,198 Fans)
    2 Duke Blue Devils (26,841 Fans)
    3 Kansas Jayhawks (20,819 Fans)
    4 Wisconsin Badgers (13,887 Fans)
    5 Kentucky Wildcats (11,590 Fans)
    6 UCLA Bruins (9,274 Fans)
    7 Michigan State Spartans (8,963 Fans)
    8 Indiana Hoosiers (8,897 Fans)
    9 Texas Longhorns (8,625 Fans)
    10 Tennessee Volunteers (8,612 Fans)

Despised NCAAB Team Pages
    1 Duke Blue Devils (75,464 Haters)
    2 North Carolina Tar Heels (36,344 Haters)
    3 Florida Gators (10,795 Haters)
    4 Ohio State Buckeyes (8,934 Haters)
    5 Kansas Jayhawks (8,075 Haters)
    6 Indiana Hoosiers (6,217 Haters)
    7 UCLA Bruins (4,818 Haters)
    8 Texas Longhorns (4,704 Haters)
    9 Tennessee Volunteers (4,616 Haters)
    10 Kentucky Wildcats (4,601 Haters)

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    According to facebook
    Not exactly a representative source of the college basketball community at large.

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    Not exactly a representative source of the college basketball community at large.
    I agree as I said in the original post: "I realize this isn't a perfect survey of the general population as it's skewed towards a younger crowd, but it gives us an idea." It's for people who chose to actually fill out a bracket via cbssportsline's application. So, mostly people who care somewhat. At least it's not a paltry sample size of only 2,500 like the Harris poll.

That seems more representative of what we see and hear at neutral site games.

Exactly. As I pointed out in this post, according to facebook, Duke is #2 on the favorite list and #1 on the hated list. Here are the updated standings:

4 Wisconsin Badgers (13,887 Fans)
    5 Kentucky Wildcats (11,590 Fans)
    6 UCLA Bruins (9,274 Fans)
    7 Michigan State Spartans (8,963 Fans)
    8 Indiana Hoosiers (8,897 Fans)
    9 Texas Longhorns (8,625 Fans)
    10 Tennessee Volunteers (8,612 Fans)

4 Ohio State Buckeyes (8,934 Haters)
    5 Kansas Jayhawks (8,075 Haters)
    6 Indiana Hoosiers (6,217 Haters)
    7 UCLA Bruins (4,818 Haters)
    8 Texas Longhorns (4,704 Haters)
    9 Tennessee Volunteers (4,616 Haters)
    10 Kentucky Wildcats (4,601 Haters)
    Wow,Why are we so hated?
    Last edited by -jk; 03-26-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: de-ital

The latest from Bill Simmons

"It's absolutely incredible how many people despise Duke and how the entire place galvanized behind Belmont at the end like it was the 1980 Olympic hockey team. If Belmont had pulled off the upset victory, there's a 25 percent chance that we'd still be there drinking and celebrating four days later."

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...yDate=20080324

The worst thing about all this is that Carolina is obviously way more "now" than we are. My Who's Now 2008 bracket is shot to pieces.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    "It's absolutely incredible how many people despise Duke and how the entire place galvanized behind Belmont at the end like it was the 1980 Olympic hockey team. If Belmont had pulled off the upset victory, there's a 25 percent chance that we'd still be there drinking and celebrating four days later."

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/...yDate=20080324
    I was going to post that quote. Glad that I read to the end of the thread first. The scary thing about the Simmons anecdote was that he was at a bar in LA (Anaheim). I knew there was a lot of hatred for Duke on the East Coast but I didn't realize that it was so pervasive on the West Coast (outside of Palo Alto at least).

Online gamer hatred

You think we're hated here? My gamerid on xboxlive is "Dukedevil8181" and MAN people talk trash. It's funny because I see people online all the time with names like "kentuckywildcat" or "tarheelz" or whatnot, and nobody ever even notices. But about once every 4-5 games some guy will point out my name and go off. It usually sounds something like this

"you go to Duke?"

"I went to Duke"

*uninteligible yelling* "DUKE *cursing cursity curse curse* DUKE bleepity bleep bleep bleep bleep bleep.

usually, the sentences are grammatically butchered and vocabulary is awful. Think "youtube comments" but in actual speech.
    Duke '03
    Tent 1 '99/'00

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I was going to post that quote. Glad that I read to the end of the thread first. The scary thing about the Simmons anecdote was that he was at a bar in LA (Anaheim). I knew there was a lot of hatred for Duke on the East Coast but I didn't realize that it was so pervasive on the West Coast (outside of Palo Alto at least).
    I live in LA. I heard a ton of stuff about how happy people were that Duke had lost all day Saturday.

Intensity of the hatred is mysterious to me

I remember when Notre Dame was a perennial power in football (yes, I am that old) and many neutrals rooted against them. As I recall they tended to run up the score, though.

I understand a broad dislike of a team that is good for so long. Sort of like the Yankees but the intensity of the hatred for Duke seems stronger than that for the Yankees and Duke hasn't had near that level of success.

I don't remember such intense hatred of Wooden's UCLA either and Wooden was not any nicer than Coach K.

Cheering for Belmont I understand because everyone likes David slaying Goliath. But WVU is not particularly liked by Georgetown fans, it seems to me so the imbalance there was a bit strange, even for a fellow Big East team.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Cheering for Belmont I understand because everyone likes David slaying Goliath. But WVU is not particularly liked by Georgetown fans, it seems to me so the imbalance there was a bit strange, even for a fellow Big East team.
    Those were West Virginia fans.

The results of the two polls are not surprising because first, hate is not the opposite of love. And second, we do have a lot of bandwagon fans since we're on TV all the time, and presumably they are most responsible for Duke's spot atop the "favorite team" poll. As for why Duke is so much more hated than anyone else, it's a combination of success (and therefore lots of exposure), our status as an elite private school, and white guys (who are always the most hated Duke players). No other program has that combination, and there's a lot of subconscious psychology involved.

Are you asking me?

Quote Originally Posted by Franzez View Post
    Wow,Why are we so hated?
    I think the Facebook poll is a product of rivalries. In the poll, you are asked to fill in your favorite team and your "Most Despised Team." If you look at the numbers, the number of Duke fans and Carolina haters are fairly close, but there are so many more Duke haters than anybody else. Why is that? The answer is that we are about 3 different team's #1 rivalry (UNC, Maryland, Kentucky) and among the top rivalries of several other teams around the ACC (Wake, NCSU, VT, etc.) and Big East (UConn, Georgetown, etc).

That said, being the most popular and the most hated are not mutually exclusive. Duke games consistently get the best TV ratings (especially Duke-UNC), so it helps our popularity that we get more national TV games than any other team. This also adds to our being hated when we stomp on teams in their personal Super Bowl year after year (and it is just another game for us).

You notice that there are almost as many haters for Duke as their are people who list Duke, UNC, and Kansas combined as their favorite team...