Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Typically if you are trying to go by someone, either strong hand or cross over, you will likely be doing this rather quickly. A quick jab step, which should look very briefly like your strong move, is very useful to determine what move you should next use. If the defender doesn't react, you can continue to go by, if he does, you can either cross over or shoot, if given enough space. I think your impression of a jab step is different than mine, as I would not use it, or teach it, as something to make the defender think I was shooting. A ball fake would be better used in that situation, you can also use your eyes as you noted.
    Your last bolded section doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as one of the points of the triple threat position is that you are also in a position to pass THAT WILL ALLOW A TEAMMATE TO INITIATE THE OFFENSE THAT MIGHT BETTER CONTRIBUTE TO YOUR TEAM'S OVERALL ATTACK, OR JUST TO GIVE THE OTHER GUY A CHANCE. You may have to give a ball fake, but this can certainly be done from the triple threat position (which isn't a low crouch, but a position with knees bent where you are ready to move, shoot or pass.)
    You get low and step briskly to the right and go to the left and I'll stand relatively upright and fake right and go left and I will be quicker than you. Neither of us will gain much advantage unless we get the defender off center. Your defender will be low and can step slide and is wide to begin with. My defender will be in a relatively unstable position and easier to fake. My move will be quicker in the transition than yours and I am soon to be 63. So I disagree about which position is more likely to create an opening on a crossover, absent making a tall guy play small if he is not used to it.

As a player I was a big fan of changing people up. I could play power off the catch getting low even on a smaller more athletic defender (hell, they were all althletic) and use it to freeze him so I could step, fake coming back, and then walk by him or simply move as I stepped into a shooting erect position, being reasonably certain that I would have an unimpeded look or if the guy sped to try to contest what he anticipated, beat him while he was still going up. However, I liked playing in a more erect position most of the time, except when I was going hard to the basket and would get low.

The problem with everybody doing the triple threat is that it slows the offense down, terribly. That was a huge differencein the Georgetown game. They have a lot of touches that just move the ball to different points of attack looking for someone with advantage given how the players are situated on the court. It empowers more initiators.

The triple threat catch as a regular practice in my mind kills effective half court offense, at least the kind that I appreciate the most.

Washington Post Tidbits from Saturday's game...

I thought some of you might be amused by a couple of tidbits left over in the Wash. Post following Saturday's G'town matchup...

For those who have any doubt about the adage that Duke gets everybody's best shot, in the Tuesday Sports section was this highlighted quote:

"I've been going to Georgetown games since 1981 and I thought that was the most spirited crowd...I've ever seen."
    -- Michael Wilbon in his online chat Monday talking about Saturday's victory over Duke

This also follows a number of player quotes saying saying, along a similar vein, that that was the most revved-up and intense the players have been all season, for ANY game. FWIW I was at the game and the crowd was VERY intense and loud throughout. Most GT fans were polite to us, with the exception of one drunken idiot seeing me and a couple other Duke fans quietly leaving the stadium afterwards, outdside, ran up and started clapping loudly right in my face (12") and shouting 'go Hoyas!!!' (My response, "Hey man, act like you've been there before..." )

Also, the Post does weekly rankings and comments of the 11 top college programs in the DC area -- GT, MD, ODU, VPI, UVA, VCU, W&M, Mason, Richmond... With GT as number one in the area there was this assessment:
    "Cameras caught Duke Assistant Steve Wojciechowski mouthing the words "not true" when Clark Kellog said that the ACC was having a down year during the Hoyas-Duke game."

'made me laugh at least!

Back to the Top

I just wanted to bring this to the top of the thread so everyone could see the similarities between this thread and today's St. John's thread.

The sky is not falling, people. Things worked our pretty well for Duke after the Georgetown game last year. The best staff and team in the country will use this as a learning experience and focus on our next game and the rest of the season.

NEXT PLAY!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Only 12 points. It felt like a 20 point loss at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepybear View Post
    Only 12 points. It felt like a 20 point loss at the time.
    Same scenario as today. Down early, felt like a beating, we showed heart and made up some points in the end. The final score was not indicative of the beating we took.

Today's loss was "only" 15 points. It's one (out of conference, January) game. Big deal. Learn and move on.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I believe we had 17 turnovers and 9 assists while shooting a stellar 19% from the three. I know were a young team. But it's Nolan and Kyle, Kyle and Nolan. With all the other McDonald AAs no one could step up today. Sad.

Thank you so much for digging this up! The post-game meltdowns are really funny when you look back on them.

Where's Greybeard? I think we could use an alignment.

Fatally flawed, unathletic, lacking the depth that Marty Pocius or Olek Czyz would have provided (!!!), a sweet 16 team at best...this G'town thread makes today's reaction look completely reasonable!

so which of our players is going to have a zoubek revelation? miles? mason? yeah....
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    so which of our players is going to have a zoubek revelation? miles? mason? yeah....
    And this is the key. Last year's team changed dramatically late in the season as Zoubek's emergence as a consistent force allowed the team to have a consistent identity. So simply saying last year's team is evidence that "it can happen" is overlooking the fact that last year was very unlikely. And even last year, we could have easily lost to Baylor or Butler.

This year's team has several players who are either struggling to find their role or struggling to find consistency within their role. If those things happen, maybe we can have a big tourney run again. But simply referencing last year isn't terribly useful.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    And this is the key. Last year's team changed dramatically late in the season as Zoubek's emergence as a consistent force allowed the team to have a consistent identity. So simply saying last year's team is evidence that "it can happen" is overlooking the fact that last year was very unlikely. And even last year, we could have easily lost to Baylor or Butler.

This year's team has several players who are either struggling to find their role or struggling to find consistency within their role. If those things happen, maybe we can have a big tourney run again. But simply referencing last year isn't terribly useful.
    What would be more useful? What can we say right here and now that will help this team?

I hope K hasn't mellowed with age. I believe it was back in 2005 after a loss at Blacksburg. The team arrived back in Durham at 2 or 3AM and as the story goes K held a practice I believe from 3:30 Am to 7 AM. I think this squad could use some of the K movies will be made about. In K we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by SMO View Post
    What would be more useful? What can we say right here and now that will help this team?
    Nothing. It's a message board. I was just pointing out that saying "look at last year" is sort of similar (not quite to the extreme, obviously) to saying "anything can happen."

Nothing. It's a message board. I was just pointing out that saying "look at last year" is sort of similar (not quite to the extreme, obviously) to saying "anything can happen."
    I concur. It is, in fact, a message board. Do you concur that it's over?

I concur. It is, in fact, a message board. Do you concur that it's over?
    Nope.

Nope.
    Optimism springs eternal.

Optimism springs eternal.
    There's a lot of room between optimism and fatalism. That was the point of my posts in this thread.

Every year is very unlikely... it's really hard to win 6 games in a row and play great basketball at the right time. Yes we could have lost to Baylor or Butler but we didn't.

I still say we are one of the top 3-4 teams in the country along with OSU, Kansas and Pitt. Nothing has changed. If we lose a few more games badly I might change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
    Every year is very unlikely... it's really hard to win 6 games in a row and play great basketball at the right time. Yes we could have lost to Baylor or Butler but we didn't.
    I don't disagree at all on this. It just seems like many don't appreciate the unlikeliness (which was sort of my point).

Quote Originally Posted by Delaware View Post
    I still say we are one of the top 3-4 teams in the country along with OSU, Kansas and Pitt. Nothing has changed. If we lose a few more games badly I might change my mind.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this either.