Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lindsey Harding

Lindsey Harding

This has been touched on in some other threads but I thought this deserved a thread of its own.

Part of today's press release.

"On Sunday, January 20, former Duke women’s basketball National Player of the Year Lindsey Harding will become the second Blue Devil to have her jersey retired. At halftime of the N.C. State contest, which tips off at 1:00 p.m., Harding will join Alana Beard as the only two women’s basketball players in Duke history to have their jerseys hung in the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

“Knowing I am the second female to have her jersey retired is an amazing accomplishment,” said Harding. “When I first got to Duke there were no female jerseys hanging in the rafters, so the thought of ever having my jersey retired wasn’t even something I thought about. It was like a dream. I know seeing Alana’s jersey hanging in Cameron inspired me and made me want to have my No. 10 beside her. Maybe now with mine up there as well, it will be inspiring to others.”

Harding is coming off a 2006-07 season at Duke in which she was named Naismith National Player of the Year, became the inaugural winner of the WBCA National Defensive Player of the Year, was named ESPN.com National Player of the Year, Kodak All-America, ACC Player of the Year, ACC Defensive Player of the Year and Associated Press First Team All-America along with many others.

“From an observer’s standpoint last year, I have never seen a senior perform at the level Lindsey played last year,” said Duke Head Coach Joanne P. McCallie. “We all know of special seniors and there are many out there, but I think Lindsey set the standard for what a senior is supposed to be. I could only watch her as a fan though.” "

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    This has been touched on in some other threads but I thought this deserved a thread of its own.

Part of today's press release.

"On Sunday, January 20, former Duke women’s basketball National Player of the Year Lindsey Harding will become the second Blue Devil to have her jersey retired. At halftime of the N.C. State contest, which tips off at 1:00 p.m., Harding will join Alana Beard as the only two women’s basketball players in Duke history to have their jerseys hung in the rafters of Cameron Indoor Stadium.

“Knowing I am the second female to have her jersey retired is an amazing accomplishment,” said Harding. “When I first got to Duke there were no female jerseys hanging in the rafters, so the thought of ever having my jersey retired wasn’t even something I thought about. It was like a dream. I know seeing Alana’s jersey hanging in Cameron inspired me and made me want to have my No. 10 beside her. Maybe now with mine up there as well, it will be inspiring to others.”

Harding is coming off a 2006-07 season at Duke in which she was named Naismith National Player of the Year, became the inaugural winner of the WBCA National Defensive Player of the Year, was named ESPN.com National Player of the Year, Kodak All-America, ACC Player of the Year, ACC Defensive Player of the Year and Associated Press First Team All-America along with many others.

“From an observer’s standpoint last year, I have never seen a senior perform at the level Lindsey played last year,” said Duke Head Coach Joanne P. McCallie. “We all know of special seniors and there are many out there, but I think Lindsey set the standard for what a senior is supposed to be. I could only watch her as a fan though.” "
    Cool! Just, well, Cool!

Glad to be a Dukie. Over and over and over again.

-jk

No TV.

will coach g be in attendance? i hope so

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    You are correct, it does. And thank you for doing it!

AWESOME. Congratulations, Lindsey!

Congrats Lindsey...

well deserved and very glad for her.

Game is on RSN.

BTW, has anyone else noticed that the women have yet to wear black during their 252 road games they've played this year?
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Thumbs up Indeed!

Congrats Lindsey! An honor well deserved.

#10 to the rafters!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Good for Lindsey
    Hope she recovers well for the WNBA season. I hope Jasmine Thomas can have 4 years at Duke like she had.

not trying to put anyone down but as it was never made public why lindsey was suspended from the team for a year, i kind of have a problem with this. if someone wants to tell me why i shouldn't have reservations i'm listening. she was always one of my favorite players but the suspension is something i've wondered about for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody View Post
    not trying to put anyone down but as it was never made public why lindsey was suspended from the team for a year, i kind of have a problem with this. if someone wants to tell me why i shouldn't have reservations i'm listening. she was always one of my favorite players but the suspension is something i've wondered about for years now.
    Its no ones business but hers and the teams. it needs not be made public.

It also doesn't detract from her ability as a player... i don't see why you should have reservations

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedawg View Post
    Its no ones business but hers and the teams. it needs not be made public.

It also doesn't detract from her ability as a player... i don't see why you should have reservations
    having your number retired is not only based on "on court" actions but as a representative of the university. as a duke grad and iron duke i do feel i deserve to know why we are retiring a player's jersey if the player was suspended for an entire year.

what if it comes out that she cheated in class, should her number still be retired? or maybe she smoked a joint at a party?

i'm incredulous at how everyone seems to take your stance bluedawg.

having your number retired is not only based on "on court" actions but as a representative of the university. as a duke grad and iron duke i do feel i deserve to know why we are retiring a player's jersey if the player was suspended for an entire year.

what if it comes out that she cheated in class, should her number still be retired? or maybe she smoked a joint at a party?

Well - apparently it does not bother the people in Athletic Department and University who made this decision and who DO know what happened.

It is just none of our business.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Well - apparently it does not bother the people in Athletic Department and University who made this decision and who DO know what happened.

It is just none of our business.

Jim
    well if it's none of my business then i guess my donations are none of their business.

IIRC when her suspension was announced it was made clear that she had violated no university or NCAA rules, but had violated internal team rules. If my memory is correct, and no university or NCAA rules were violated, than I think it is appropraite that this incident, whatever it was, remain between her, her team mates, and her coaches.

well if it's none of my business then i guess my donations are none of their business.
    Our donations to the university do not give us any right to have confidential information about students relaeased to us.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    Our donations to the university do not give us any right to have confidential information about students relaeased to us.

i agree from everything that i "know" about her, she seems like a great person who should have her number retired. but i disagree with hiding skeletons in the closet for public displays of recognition.

i agree from everything that i "know" about her, she seems like a great person who should have her number retired. but i disagree with hiding skeletons in the closet for public displays of recognition.
    I hope that no matter how much money anyone donates, the university doesn't feel that a donation should change its policy on student confidentiality.

Violations of the law are a matter of public record, therefore things like Hurley's drunk driving arrest are in the public domain. Violations of NCAA rules are a matter of public record through an agreement between the NCAA and its member institutions, therefore incidents like the Maggette issue are in the public domain. Violations of university rules and/or team rules are subject to a number of laws protecting the confidentiality of students.

Whatever Harding did (or didn't) do never rose to the level of an NCAA or legal violation. Therefore, if the university disclosed this information it would be in violation of a number of laws. In addition, it would have been acting in a way that went against the best interest of one if its students (if they though it was in her best interest to release details they would have already sone so) in order to satisfy the curiosity of one of its alumni/donors.

Quote Originally Posted by allenmurray View Post
    IIRC when her suspension was announced it was made clear that she had violated no university or NCAA rules, but had violated internal team rules. If my memory is correct, and no university or NCAA rules were violated, than I think it is appropraite that this incident, whatever it was, remain between her, her team mates, and her coaches.
    It must have been a pretty severe violation to be suspended for an entire season...

Quote Originally Posted by willywoody
    or maybe she smoked a joint at a party?
    Don't we already have someone in the rafters who did this?
    Or was at least connected, I don't remember what the final decision was.