Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spurrier on Campus today?

According to this article, Steve Spurrier was on campus today hanging out with Alleva.

Likely this is only on a consultation basis (and wasn't he a prime recommender of Franks?) but nevertheless kinda cool. At least it definitely should mean that they're actively working on the vacancy with some seriousness.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    According to this article, Steve Spurrier was on campus today hanging out with Alleva.

Likely this is only on a consultation basis (and wasn't he a prime recommender of Franks?) but nevertheless kinda cool. At least it definitely should mean that they're actively working on the vacancy with some seriousness.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is it within the realm of possibility that Spurrier is looking to face the ultimate challenge? Looking past the $$$ and looking to save the program that helped give him his start? Could it be? Is it possible?

-EJ

If so, perhaps he'd sorta be pulling a Roy, returning partly as penance for recommending Franks (as Roy recommended Mad Matt). Actually, it's highly unfair to compare Franks relative ineptness against difficult odds to Doherty's mad and cruel antics despite an excellent opportunity to excel.

While unlikely all around it would be an interesting parallel, if Spurrier's returning to Duke were discussed at all.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Is it within the realm of possibility that Spurrier is looking to face the ultimate challenge? Looking past the $$$ and looking to save the program that helped give him his start? Could it be? Is it possible?

-EJ
    Don't tease me like that. If Spurrier became Duke's head coach, I would probably jump through my ceiling.

Even if Spurrier isn't going to be the next coach (which is most likely the case), it's good to see Alleva is consulting him and it's great that Spurrier wants to see the program get back on its feet.

a promise (or maybe a threat? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Classof06 View Post
    Don't tease me like that. If Spurrier became Duke's head coach, I would probably jump through my ceiling.

Even if Spurrier isn't going to be the next coach (which is most likely the case), it's good to see Alleva is consulting him and it's great that Spurrier wants to see the program get back on its feet.
    Oh, man. If Steve Spurrier becomes the next head coach of Duke Football, I will buy season tickets and fly back (from Oregon) for every home game. Mark it down!

It probably won't happen...but it's nice to dream. And if Alleva had this lined up since before he fired Roof, maybe I won't think he's such a bonehead anymore.

We only get lightning in a bottle once. I don't think Spurrier is the answer.

Check out how the ol' ball coach finished the season

At USC where a 440 on yor sats and a 4.40 in the 40 and benching 440lbs. gets you into school I think he went 1-5 to finish the season.

If this isn't the mad pinnacle of unrealistic coaching expectations, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    If this isn't the mad pinnacle of unrealistic coaching expectations, I don't know what is.
    Word, but it is encouraging that Spurrier might be helping Duke pick a new coach.
    ~rthomas

i think we've all gone delusional after so many pathetic seasons. i'll believe any rumor at this point

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Word, but it is encouraging that Spurrier might be helping Duke pick a new coach.
    Well, it worked so well the last couple of times we tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    At USC where a 440 on yor sats and a 4.40 in the 40 and benching 440lbs. gets you into school I think he went 1-5 to finish the season.
    Academic concerns are a good point; but he's not losing to scrubs in the SEC.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    i think we've all gone delusional after so many pathetic seasons. i'll believe any rumor at this point
    I heard Vince Lombardi is planning to coach the team from beyond the grave.

I heard Vince Lombardi is planning to coach the team from beyond the grave.
    Can we get Pop Warner instead? The Single Wing is BOSS.

The announcers during the USC-Clemson game said he had mentioned that he was not happy. His displeasure was coming from the belief that his players were not putting forth enough effort.

Not even DU has the resources to entice Spurrier back there. Although, if he wants a challenge ...

The scuttlebutt on USC (that's right they've been there a 100 years before Southern Cal) boards is that Steve Spurrier, Jr is candidate.

I remember Spurrier. He was the one that was being wined and dined and gleefully announcing his acceptance of the Fla head coaching position while the Duke team was practicing for the only bowl bid they had for a long long time. Left a sour taste in my mouth about him ever since.

I can't bring myself to go against a guy that wants to coach at his alma.

Spurrier did not recommend Carl Franks for HC job. In fact he told Alleva that he did not think that Carl was ready to be a head Coach. I don't have a god feeling about Alleva, Broadhead and a couple english professors selecting the next football HC. Those guys are likely to consult Mike Nifong before making the hire.