Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Julius Randle Recruiting Thread

I'm a relative newbie here, so I'm not sure if I need to earn my stripes before starting new threads, but I thought Mr. Julius deserves his own thread, similar to one on Jabari. He shows strong interest in us and as a well respected big man he could truly be pivotal for us in many ways. ESPN's latest diary is a good one. Some definite positive vibes.

How does he compare to Jabari Parker?

A little bigger and more of an inside player I'm guessing, but interested in comments from those that follow or have seen both.

Interesting perspective on his blog about "Recruit X". I've watched "He Got Game" many times, and always wondered where/if those types of recruiting trips take place.

And even closer to home, I wonder if that sort of thing happens in our neighborhood.

I'm hesitant to post this because it is so dated, but a little something on Randle from nbadraft.net (from summer 2010 though)

NBA Comparison: Chris Webber

Strengths: Strong body ... Has a high skill level for a high school sophomore ... Excels at facing up and putting the ball on the floor ... Very good finisher around the basket ... Can step out and hit shots all the way to college 3pt. range ... Can play with his back to the basket but prefers face up game ... A good kid with a great work ethic ...

Weaknesses: While very solid, especially considering his age, not a jaw dropping physical specimen type of athlete ... Doesn't play on the box as much as he should, too perimeter oriented. Should focus a little more on refining his post game which will really be his bread and butter as he gets older ... Settles for too many jumpers at times instead of imposing his will inside ... Too left hand dominant. Needs to work at using his right hand better ...

Notes: Considered by many to be the top player in the 2013 class ...Measured 6'9 (in shoes) 243 lbs, with a 6'10 wingspan at the 2011 LeBron James Skills Academy.

From what i've read i think he is leaning heavily toward Duke. I know him and Matt Jones are very close friends and I believe they play on the same AAU team. Randle said Duke was high on the list before Jones commited.

Garnett

Jason Jordan compares Julius to Garnett in the video released for the common masses by Watzone. A nice interview with some stuff on Pinson, Richmond, Tony Parker, and Julius.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    From what i've read i think he is leaning heavily toward Duke. I know him and Matt Jones are very close friends and I believe they play on the same AAU team. Randle said Duke was high on the list before Jones commited.
    Everything I hear says he's leaning heavily towards UNC, but I don't think anybody knows anything. KU also took a commitment from Zach Peters, another close friend and high school teammate of Randle.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    Everything I hear says he's leaning heavily towards UNC, but I don't think anybody knows anything. KU also took a commitment from Zach Peters, another close friend and high school teammate of Randle.
    I guess it's tough to tell. Here's a link to a phone interview with Randle on the subject. It's followed by an interview with Matt Jones after he decided to commit to Duke.

http://coast2coastrecruiting.net/201...ht-go-to-duke/

Randle's ESPN blog

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/high-...duke-unc-nc-st

Randle says some nice things about Coach K and CIS. But he's keeping his options open.

Quote Originally Posted by TexHawk View Post
    Randle has given Duke positive feedback. Capel helps here. Capel had started to recruit Randle when Capel was at OU, so they go back aways.

ESPN Blog predicts Randle to Duke...

THis ESPN Blog picks Randle to Duke...
    http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...tions-for-2012

However... they also predict Tony Parker to OSU and 'bazz to UNLV. I would have my doubts about that last one. Hope the first one (Randle to Duke) pans out though.

Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    THis ESPN Blog picks Randle to Duke...
    http://espn.go.com/blog/high-school/...tions-for-2012

However... they also predict Tony Parker to OSU and 'bazz to UNLV. I would have my doubts about that last one. Hope the first one (Randle to Duke) pans out though.

Yes, and in the diary entry linked in the first post in this thread (buried near the bottom), Randle himself says "I got a chance to read ESPNHS' story on predictions for 2012 and that was interesting what they predicted about me ending up at Duke. I’m not saying that it will or won’t happen, but there’s a good chance they could be right. Who knows, we’ll have to see."

I'll take "good chance" at this point in the process.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Yes, and in the diary entry linked in the first post in this thread (buried near the bottom), Randle himself says "I got a chance to read ESPNHS' story on predictions for 2012 and that was interesting what they predicted about me ending up at Duke. I’m not saying that it will or won’t happen, but there’s a good chance they could be right. Who knows, we’ll have to see."

I'll take "good chance" at this point in the process.
    Thanks gam7. I had just caught that too. Certainly sounded positive, as did his comparison comment about Cameron being the "most Live" of the three he visited - also NCSU and Dean Dome.

Actually, my first thought was that it is a good cautionary tale to fans, that these kids actually do read these sites - so be careful what you say!
    (BTW, if I were a kid reading the ESPN 'Predictions' blog/post, and read all of the catty, name-calling fan posts at the bottom of the story, I think I'd just get really turned off of their schools really fast. Fortunately it was largely UK, NC@CH and UNLV fans all trying to one-up their insults of one another's schools... Ugh!)
    Last edited by -bdbd; 01-10-2012 at 03:09 PM.

A Good Night

It was obviously an outlier, but Julius had a huge 50 and 20 game last night. Not many people (even on a perfect night) could match that type of production. LINK

Randle and Prestonwood Christian take on NC State's Tyler Lewis and Oak Hill this Saturday at 6:00pm. Oak Hill is undefeated and ranked #2 by ESPN. Prestonwood is ranked #19. Should be a great game.

Hopefully he'll realize how great it would be to play with Lewis instead of against him Though I view State as a long shot to land Julius.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Randle and Prestonwood Christian take on NC State's Tyler Lewis and Oak Hill this Saturday at 6:00pm. Oak Hill is undefeated and ranked #2 by ESPN. Prestonwood is ranked #19. Should be a great game.

Hopefully he'll realize how great it would be to play with Lewis instead of against him Though I view State as a long shot to land Julius.
    Thanks for the tip, PackMan, and hope you'll stop by more.
    I like what I see going on at State in terms of the current team, the coach, and recruiting.
    After a long walk in the wilderness, I think you guys are on the right track.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/high-...le-prestonwood

Oak Hill clobbered Prestonwood 85-55.

Randle had 23pts, 9 boards and 3 blocks.
    Lewis had 15pts and 9 assists.

Any update on his recruiting? I know hes 2013, but he's most likely to be one and done correct?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Any update on his recruiting? I know hes 2013, but he's most likely to be one and done correct?
    Well, incidentally, it sounds like Julius is going to transfer to Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh for his final year in school. I don't have a link but will try to find one. Curious how people think this will impact his recruitment (if at all)?

Quote Originally Posted by dukedoc View Post
    Well, incidentally, it sounds like Julius is going to transfer to Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh for his final year in school. I don't have a link but will try to find one. Curious how people think this will impact his recruitment (if at all)?
    Well, this was apparently a rumor which I inappropriately mongered without vetting it further. Apologies. He will stay put.

Evan Daniels ‏ @EvanDanielscout
    Julius Randle on the transfer rumor: "False, I don't even know how that rumor started."