Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Brad Stevens on Letterman right now

CBS.

This should be interesting.

Maybe Brad could give Dave some advice on how not to harass the help

WOW !!

I was just flipping the channels, and saw where Butler Coach is on Letterman!!! Good for Brad!!! He is a brillant young coach.

Letterman called us "goons" jokingly. Stevens said some nice things about our program. A very humble man.

Letterman's trying to get him to talk smack about K, Izzo, or Duke...haha

Stevens was great.

Letterman was a typical dumb*ss

Brad Stevens Thread

I thought this deserved special mention. Folks, can this guy coach, or what? To take a team with two guys 6-7, 6-9 and a mediocre bench, and beat Michigan State, Kansas State, Syracuse and come one missed basket from winning the national championship. Now folks, that is great coaching. This game may turn out to more memorable years from now when seen in retrospect, because it may have marked a meeting between two of the greatest coaches of all time, one at the beginning of his career and one near the end. Comments?

I wholeheartedly agree. I'd like to add that he appears to be a 100% class act, as well. Articulate, pointed, there are many words to describe Brad Stevens, all of them positive. He has a bright future, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by hq2 View Post
    I thought this deserved special mention. Folks, can this guy coach, or what? To take a team with two guys 6-7, 6-9 and a mediocre bench, and beat Michigan State, Kansas State, Syracuse and come one missed basket from winning the national championship. Now folks, that is great coaching. This game may turn out to more memorable years from now when seen in retrospect, because it may have marked a meeting between two of the greatest coaches of all time, one at the beginning of his career and one near the end. Comments?
    Before the game, when they were reviewing Butler's pathway to the finals, their 25-game winning streak and the teams they had beat, I remember thinking, "Oh God, these guys DESERVE to win". I suppose it is always possible that the players are good DESPITE their coach & he is just a good-looking front man for the team, but seriously doubt it. The teams were so well coached & so well matched that if basketball games were shorter or longer than 40 minutes, Butler could have easily been the victor. I'm glad they didn't go to OT.

Is Brad Stevens the next....

Brad Stevens is a great coach, I agree. He is going to be presented with some interesting choices very soon if he has not already.

The first path is stay at Butler. The second path is jump to a power conference school.

Analogies might be Mark Few (Gonzaga) or Rick Pitino (Providence/Kentucky), Capel (VCU/Oklahoma), Donovan (Marshall/Florida). Pete Gillen and Skip Prosser also come to mind, I sure this could be a long list.

As much as I enjoyed the Butler game, and as stacked as Butler may be for next year, I have to believe that if Brad Stevens is going to make a change, the time is now. I will feel badly for Butler if Stevens leaves.

It will be an interesting storyline to follow.

Letterman was hoarse. I didn't catch the entire show, but presume this was because he was at the game (not surprising given his support for Indiana-based sports). Brad has been awfully magnanimous in defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Letterman was hoarse. I didn't catch the entire show, but presume this was because he was at the game (not surprising given his support for Indiana-based sports). Brad has been awfully magnanimous in defeat.
    He's from indianapolis...
    1200. DDMF.

The man is a great coach, but I think people have blown Butler up more than they deserve. And before I start explaining, let it be known that I managed my high school team for all 4 years Matt Howard was on it, so I'm a huge Butler fan as well

In their run through the tournament, they get credited for taking down huge seeds. But look at it closely

UTEP - tough game, but they WERE a 5 seed and favored to win

Murray State - get to play a lower seeded team over a Vandy team that would have created many problems for them, especially with Vandy's Ogilvy

Syracuse - Syracuse missed their big man, Onawaku, more than people know. Duke's 3 forwards (Howard, Hayward, Veasley) combined for 39 of the 63 points.

Kansas State - for a trip to go to the Final Four, they get a team that played one of the best games in recent memory that went into two overtimes. Plus, the game was being played in Salt Lake, which I'm not sure about the specifics, but I know it's a good bit above sea level. Think Kansas State was tired?

Michigan State - Play a Michigan State squad without the best guard and all around best player. And somehow hung on despite going 10 minutes without a FG

And the Hoosier comparison is so annoying. Butler was a top 15 team all season long. They've been in the top 25 the last 3 years. The Milan squad essentially came from no where. They were in the "Final Four" the previous year, but they weren't a stacked team by any means.

I don't mean to take everything away from Butler. They DID take advantage of every opportunity they were given, but it wasn't quite as magical as some think. They did hang with Duke for an entire game, but you need to look into the facts before calling this a great run.

I don't see how Stevens can leave now. What they accomplished was too special to leave now. He should develop his assistants, hit the recruiting trail and wait for the "perfect" offer to come along. That is, unless his arc at Butler means top 10 team every year, then why leave?

Butler should pay him their Final Four money as a bonus!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    The man is a great coach, but I think people have blown Butler up more than they deserve. And before I start explaining, let it be known that I managed my high school team for all 4 years Matt Howard was on it, so I'm a huge Butler fan as well

In their run through the tournament, they get credited for taking down huge seeds. But look at it closely

UTEP - tough game, but they WERE a 5 seed and favored to win

Murray State - get to play a lower seeded team over a Vandy team that would have created many problems for them, especially with Vandy's Ogilvy

Syracuse - Syracuse missed their big man, Onawaku, more than people know. Duke's 3 forwards (Howard, Hayward, Veasley) combined for 39 of the 63 points.

Kansas State - for a trip to go to the Final Four, they get a team that played one of the best games in recent memory that went into two overtimes. Plus, the game was being played in Salt Lake, which I'm not sure about the specifics, but I know it's a good bit above sea level. Think Kansas State was tired?

Michigan State - Play a Michigan State squad without the best guard and all around best player. And somehow hung on despite going 10 minutes without a FG

And the Hoosier comparison is so annoying. Butler was a top 15 team all season long. They've been in the top 25 the last 3 years. The Milan squad essentially came from no where. They were in the "Final Four" the previous year, but they weren't a stacked team by any means.

I don't mean to take everything away from Butler. They DID take advantage of every opportunity they were given, but it wasn't quite as magical as some think. They did hang with Duke for an entire game, but you need to look into the facts before calling this a great run.

It's a great run even looking at the facts.

The guy is a real class act with a sharp, sharp basketball mind. He also seems to have great values. His post game comments cemented that impression in my mind.

Cleaning up my office this morning and noticed the USA Today pre-tourney edition. The AP Coaches poll had Duke as #3 and Butler as #8. Significantly higher than, for example, Villanova (#9), Baylor (#21), Vandy (#22). I know they are from a small conference but how in the world does the #8 team in the land end up a #5 seed in the tourney?

I don't think the seeding committee will make the same mistake next year.

I think Brad Stevens would probably be a great coach anywhere, but I can see Coach K's point about Stevens really being able to build something special at Butler. He's already started the process really. Plus, if they get back to the tourney next year and go far, we get to see more of Blue II again!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    He's from indianapolis...
    I know. I've been watching Letterman longer than you've been alive.

Assuming Hayward and Mack return and Butler gives coach Brad Stevens a big raise, I would expect he stays at least one more year at Butler where they could legitimatley be Finalists again.

Then possibly cashing in with major conference program or being like Mark Few is at Gonzaga.

I like what he alluded to in post game presser that though this possibly opens up more recruits for Butler, they have to fit his criteria.

I do think this game will go down as a Classic and many parallels will be drawn between youthful Brad Stevens and coach K early years at Duke, Billy the Kid at UF etc.

Stevens is the media's hero du jour. I'm sure he can coach, but until he has at least ONE wrinkle on his face, or alternatively, starts looking older than his starting five, I refuse to call him a "great" coach. I'm going with good and lucky till I see more.

I'll tell you this...he had a great gameplan against Duke. IMO maybe the best gameplan anyone had against Duke all season.

Howard basically missed 3 or 4 layups early in the game. How many teams have tried or were able to isolate an inside player against us? Most teams attacked our perimeter assuming we we slow and had no depth.

Their defense against our big 3 was outstanding also...it just so happened we hit some really big shots.

This guy is going to be a star as a coach

I'm with ReformedAggie. I like the guy. He has had some success. I want to see him sustain that success. Look at Donovan and many others. One good run does not make a genius. Lightening can be caught in the bottle. It is keeping it there that is difficult!