View Poll Results: Who of these are among your favorite Duke players of all time? (Multi-choice)

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alan Shaw

4 3.33%
  • Bobo Reidy

2 1.67%
  • Cherokee Parks

16 13.33%
  • Dan Meagher

17 14.17%
  • Dick Groat

43 35.83%
  • Grant Hill

106 88.33%
  • Jay Buckley

5 4.17%
  • Josh McRoberts

8 6.67%
  • Marty Clark

15 12.50%
  • Patrick Davidson

16 13.33%
  • Robert Brickey

36 30.00%
  • Tate Armstrong

21 17.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Favorite Duke Player- Prelim poll #2 (Multiple-choice)

Here is poll #2. As always, if you are unclear about what is going on, consult the sticky thread entitled Ultimate Duke Fan Poll.

-Jason

I predict a really close vote... and not nearly enough people will give Dick Groat the love he deserves.

--Jason "also, Patrick Davidson will shoot lightening bolts out his arse at anyone who does not vote for him" Evans

Back around '91 or so I had a buddy, a non-Duke fan, tell me he knew a hippie couple named Parks from the 70's, driving around in a van with a baby named Cherokee. Can't say for sure if it was the same Cherokee, but it definitely piqued my interest in this 6'11" newcomer to Duke.

Never saw Dick Groat play basketball, but I was a fan. A baseball fan, that is. Besides watching him play on TV, I collected several of his baseball cards during his playing days. To his credit, I never used his cards on my bicycle spokes. His cards had value. I could trade a Groat and and a slightly lesser player (Vada Pinson, for example) for a Mickey Mantle or a Stan Musial.

48 people have voted and only 10 have voted for 1976 Olympic Gold Medalist Tate Armstrong. I find that suprising as Tate Armstrong was a fantastic player with long range. He would have lit up the scoreboard with the 3-point shot. He is definitely someone who deserves to move on to the next round but I'm worried the voting will center around Coach K era players.

Anyway, call me a Tate Armstrong shill - vote for Tate!!!
    Bob Green

It is still early, but it looks like Tate and Cherokee will battle for that covetted 4th spot... the last spot to advance from this poll to the next round.

I am impressed that the board is showing love for Dick Groat.

--Jason "so far 5 people have NOT voted for Grant Hill... that's stunning" Evans

Vote for Tate!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is still early, but it looks like Tate and Cherokee will battle for that covetted 4th spot... the last spot to advance from this poll to the next round.
    Vote for Tate!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Robert Brickey

I always liked Brickey as a player. Not highly skilled but one of those "team" players who did the dirty work. At 6-5, he often guarded the opposition big man. It's nice to see that he is getting some support.

Grant has to be one of the heavyweights in this poll. Not only was he a great player but a terrific young man. In addition, he is from Northern Virginia. I saw him play in high school for South Lakes against Oakton. He was clearly the best player on the floor but I would have never guessed that he would be a dominant player in college (he was a poor shooter who got most of his points close to the basket).

gw67

A great Brickey dunk and the story along with it-

My last year at Duke, we were playing the 'Holes in Cameron and trailing by 2; we were down considerably in that first half and as we clawed our way back, Brick comes down the lane and gets a POWER tomahawk on the boys fated to lesser blue...the Dean comes off the bench and immediately calls for a 'T' and Cameron totally explodes. The bodies were falling over one another, even in the Dead Zone.

But, the sound was so loud that it didn't even sound like disparate cheering anymore, but more like the sound of a jet engine or really loud whistle. It was amazing, and deafening.

In the pit, we were stuck in delirium and then, drenched in sweat and leaning over forward from exhaustion and 'the moment', my buddy Keith says to me 'hey, look at the front of your t-shirt!'.

My t-shirt front was shaking with the sound vibrations going around Cameron!

the good old days.

Duke needs a badass dunker all over again. Where, oh where, is he?

bring
    him
    on; i'm ready to hop around again.

dukestheheat

It's all about Air Brickey

So happy to see the love for Bob. Lest you forget, he was a great shot blocker for his height too. I truly think if he didn't get hurt in the FF against Seton Hall, the '89 tourney would have turned out differently.

Wow-- the race for 4th place in this poll is really tight. 6 players within 4 votes!! I could honestly see any of them moving on.

Fair warning, this poll will stay open until after 8pm ET tonight to give folks a full 24-hours to vote. But, I make no promises after that.

--Jason "I'll post a new poll later tonight or tomorrow but will keep it open through the entire weekend" Evans

You forgot one, Johnny Dawkins!

Big Dan

Since Tom Sheehey is one of my LEAST favorite players in ACC history, the choice was easy for me.

how can this happen??!!

Quote Originally Posted by jawk24 View Post
    You forgot one, Johnny Dawkins!
    Yikes!!! A HUGE oversight. And what about JJ! And Christian! And JWill! And Carrawell. The list goes on. So many left out. But wait, not to worry. This is only the 2nd of 8 polls. JD will be in the 7th poll. There's a sticky at the top explaining everything.

Wow! Josh McRoberts only has 7 votes!

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Wow! Josh McRoberts only has 7 votes!
    I'm surprised he has that many . We are talking about favorite all time Duke players. I don't think McRoberts ranks. He left early, last year was brutal, we needed him to come thru and be big in big games and he didn't. Now, there are positives also...I liked watching him play and loved when he got the ball in the open court. But you give me a choice between JR and Grant Hill, and GH beats out JR in my book what with GH's 2 national championships, final fours, DPOY awards, class, etc etc etc.

Bring On Shane!!!!

:d

Since I didn't start watching Duke games until the mid-80's, I couldn't vote for a guy like Groat. I'm sure had I been following Duke in his day I would have loved him and put up a vote for him. But I can't vote for a guy in a "favorite" poll if I never watched him play. Of course if others follow my line of reasoning then I imagine the players on the team now will get a good amount of votes from younger posters. For instance, I don't think I could vote for a current freshman or even a sophomore in any of these polls. I just don't know these kids well enough to say they are a "favorite." So admittedly, I'm going to be somewhat limited in my picks. I've got about 20 years worth of players to pick from, but I wish it were a lot more.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm surprised he has that many . We are talking about favorite all time Duke players. I don't think McRoberts ranks. He left early, last year was brutal, we needed him to come thru and be big in big games and he didn't. Now, there are positives also...I liked watching him play and loved when he got the ball in the open court. But you give me a choice between JR and Grant Hill, and GH beats out JR in my book what with GH's 2 national championships, final fours, DPOY awards, class, etc etc etc.
    Just realized forgot to indicate I was being sarcastic. Agree with all you wrote above!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Not sure who JR is (can't be talking about JR "Big Butt" Reid at UNC, can you?), but I wanted it to be understood (again) that in these initial polls you can vote for multiple players. You do not only have one vote. So, it is not a choice between Grant and whoever, it is just a question of which players you want to see advance into the round of 32.

-Jason "I did not vote for Josh either, though there were times last season when I was a huge fan... but other times when I was not" Evans

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Since Tom Sheehey is one of my LEAST favorite players in ACC history, the choice was easy for me.
    One of my favorite Cameron cheers: "MEAGHER SPIT IN YOUR FACE!" followed by "ALAA'S DAD SPIT IN YOUR FACE!"
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”