Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The stupidest basketball play(er) on Earth

Submitted for nomination: Martell Webster

Down 3 points with less than 5 seconds left, Martell gets a steal and... well... they were down 3... that's all you need to know.

-Jason "Martell was one of the last of the 'straight from high school to the NBA' kids... maybe a year of college would have taught him basic basketball strategy... or at least a little bit of math" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Plus his haircut is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Submitted for nomination: Martell Webster

Down 3 points with less than 5 seconds left, Martell gets a steal and... well... they were down 3... that's all you need to know.

-Jason "Martell was one of the last of the 'straight from high school to the NBA' kids... maybe a year of college would have taught him basic basketball strategy... or at least a little bit of math" Evans
    On the other hand he did accomplish his goal of being an ESPN highlight!

Kids just love to dunk. No matter what the score/time left. GoDuke!

Well, there was Michael Ruffin, the Washington Wizards player in 2007 who threw the ball up the in air to celebrate a win, only a few seconds too early. A Toronto player on the other team retrieved it before time ran out and sank a shot to tie the game. Toronto went on to win in OT. Here's the clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5bqF4VDSx4
    and here's the final game story http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/27...ington-wizards
    Last edited by Rudy; 02-21-2012 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Separated at birth...

-Jason "Martell is going for the Fletch look... 6-5, 6-9 with the afro" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Well, there was Michael Ruffin, the Washington Wizards player in 2007 who threw the ball up the in air to celebrate a win, only a few seconds too early. A Toronto player on the other team retrieved it before time ran out and sank a shot to tie the game. Toronto went on to win in OT. Here's the clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5bqF4VDSx4
    and here's the final game story http://espn.go.com/nba/recap/_/id/27...ington-wizards
    Mo Pete scored the game-tying basket. It can be seen here.

I also enjoy Rudy Gay's desperation half-court shot... with like 8 seconds left on the clock.

-Jason "this is fun... stupid millionaires!" Evans

i nominate roscoe smith for this gem against texas last year

and to be an equal opportunity ridiculer, how about our guy corey maggette with this gem:

I think that one takes the cake for me. If caron butler is to be believed, Maggette said "shoot it" after he made the turnover.

Mo Pete scored the game-tying basket. It can be seen here.

I also enjoy Rudy Gay's desperation half-court shot... with like 8 seconds left on the clock.

-Jason "this is fun... stupid millionaires!" Evans
    Money can buy many things but not intelligence!

Sean Woods Kentucky vs Mississippi State

Excerpt from The Last Great Game: Duke vs Kentucky by Gene Wojciechowski

"With only seconds remaining in a Feb 9 game at Mississippi State, Woods easily weaved his way through the Bulldog defenders, converted a layup, and then raised his arms in triumph. Kentucky had overcome a 12 point deficit in the final 10 minutes to tie the game and send it into overtime,

Or so Woods thought. In one of the great UK brain cramps, Woods hadn't realized the Wildcats needed a 3 pointer, not a two, to tie the Bulldogs. Pitino had painstakingly diagrammed the play in the huddle-Woods would drive to the basket , then dish the ball to one of the Wildcats fanned out at the three-point line-but then watched in horror as his point guard forgot how to count.

Mississippi State 83, Kentucky 82"
    Last edited by Pomona; 02-21-2012 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    The dope store called him right after that play, and haircut, since they were fresh out of him.

s
    The fact that Kobe nails a 3ptr before time expires makes this one even better.

But let's not forget Raymond Felton's spin move on a ghost and then alley-oop to the shot clock.

The stupidest basketball play(er) on Earth
    ...not even close. That would be anyone that signs to play with Carolina.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I was at this game, and I can confirm that Michael Ruffin was one of the most frustrating basketball players ever. When my friends and I would play ball, we shouted "Michael Ruffin!" anytime we air-balled or made any stupid play. Put it another way, Andray Blatche can be less frustrating than Michael Ruffin.

Chris Webber walking, then calling a timeout he didn't have...

Fred Brown passing the ball to Worthy...

Quote Originally Posted by attackdog View Post
    Excerpt from The Last Great Game: Duke vs Kentucky by Gene Wojciechowski

"With only seconds remaining in a Feb 9 game at Mississippi State, Woods easily weaved his way through the Bulldog defenders, converted a layup, and then raised his arms in triumph. Kentucky had overcome a 12 point deficit in the final 10 minutes to tie the game and send it into overtime,

Or so Woods thought. In one of the great UK brain cramps, Woods hadn't realized the Wildcats needed a 3 pointer, not a two, to tie the Bulldogs. Pitino had painstakingly diagrammed the play in the huddle-Woods would drive to the basket , then dish the ball to one of the Wildcats fanned out at the three-point line-but then watched in horror as his point guard forgot how to count.

Mississippi State 83, Kentucky 82"
    This actually happened to me when I was playing. I hit a 15-footer that I thought was the game winner, but were will still down by 1. The last minute was pretty crazy back-and-forth, no timeouts for either side, and it wasn't a massive new-school arena with scoreboards all over the place. Without timeouts or stoppages in play, there was no time to sync with the coaches. I played that last minute back in my head a thousand times, and I still don't know how I screwed up the score in my head.

Woods/Webster had a timeout with coaches, so it's worse, but I definitely feel for them. There's nothing like looking up and seeing half of the crowd and your team horrified and staring at you, the other half laughing.

Sometimes good players just have brain farts.

I was at the Pitt/Butler game in the tournament last Spring. Which was dumber: Shelvin Mack's foul at half court when his Butler team was ahead by one with 1.4 seconds left? Or, after the Pitt player made one foul shot to tie and missed the second, Nasir Robinson's foul of Matt Howard on the rebound with .8 second left, allowing Howard to win the game?

In the post game interview Mack called his mistake the "dumbest of my life" but he was smiling since he was bailed out by Robinson.

(I couldn't find a decent clip that includes both fouls)

The stupidest basketball play(er) on Earth!

And I was under the impression that the (er) part of this was decided in the thread "What will $150 million get you!

Guess not!
    Lol!
    Last edited by BluDvlsN1; 02-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Skip to 6 mins in

Sometimes good players just have brain farts.

I was at the Pitt/Butler game in the tournament last Spring. Which was dumber: Shelvin Mack's foul at half court when his Butler team was ahead by one with 1.4 seconds left? Or, after the Pitt player made one foul shot to tie and missed the second, Nasir Robinson's foul of Matt Howard on the rebound with .8 second left, allowing Howard to win the game?

In the post game interview Mack called his mistake the "dumbest of my life" but he was smiling since he was bailed out by Robinson.

(I couldn't find a decent clip that includes both fouls)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz2Jw...eature=related

JNort, thanks for that clip. I liked that guy's analysis of the final several minutes. I didn't know about him.