Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    keeping this relevant, any suggestions for using lavendar in cooking endeavors?
    I found this site after googling around. http://whatscookingamerica.net/Lavender.htm

There are some really good ideas. I like the idea of Lavender Creme Brulee. I bet it goes well with the gamey meats too.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by CathyCA View Post
    Credit Dukepsy1963 for pursuing this recipe originally with the folks at Duke Archives. I've copied Dukepsy1963's post in its entirety here:

Duke Archives just sent me the "classic" Duke Dining Halls recipe for the Official Duke Toll House Cookies....just in time for the NCAA. Eat 'em and urge the team on!!!

Here it is:

Ingredients:

1 cup butter
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1/4 white sugar
    2 eggs
    2 1/4 cups flour
    1 tsp.salt
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 cup chopped nuts
    2 packages semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    1 teaspoon of vanilla

Procedure:

1. Let butter stand at room temp until softened. Combine butter with sugars in a round bottomed bowl and work with a wooden spoon until creamy. Add the eggs (well-beaten) to the sugar and butter.

2. Sift flour with salt.

3. Dissolve baking soda in hot water and add alternately with flour to the sugar and butter mixture.

4. Add nuts, chocolate morsels, and vanilla and mix until evenly distributed

5. Drop on greased cookie sheet by tablespoonfuls for a 3" cookie. Yields 6 dozen cookies.

6. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until done.

________
    Enjoy them during the games! Let me know how they worked out for you!

BTW. They also sent another official recipe that I will be sharing with you shortly. ... the Hermit cookie one.

Go Duke!!!!
    I have had these cookies and they are delicious. Anyone baking these should make several batches and divide the final amount into 3 equal portions:

1/3 for your own personal consumption
    1/3 for a DBR tailgate/brunchgate later this FB season (or next year but why wait that long)
    1/3 for me

These would be great with a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout-seriously. Milk would be the obvious 1st choice but I have had my wife's also wonderful CCC late in the evening when Lavabe was visiting and we enjoyed several with a small glass of the above beverage. Ymm, beer.

recipe

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Love this thread. I do a lot of grilling (pretty much every night something is on the grill) and so I keep a lot of dry rubs in the kitchen depending on what mood I'm in. For the record, since no baking is involved, my measurements are VERY approximate and can be changed based on your likes.

This is a Caribbean rub that I use on pork tenderloins. I generally serve it with a side of either a tropical fruit salad or I'll fry some plantains.

Equal parts kosher salt and black pepper
    1/2 as much curry powder and allspice
    1/4 as much coriander
    relative to the rest, a small amount of cumin (too much overpowers)
    Fresh orange and lime zest--as much or as little based on how much you want to mitigate the heat.

To make the pork tenderloin, cover in olive oil and apply as much of the rub as you want. Let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or so.

Get the grill as hot as you can (at least 500 degrees) and sear both sides of the meat (~3 minutes a side)

Next, set the grill to indirect medium and cook the tenderloin for another 20 minutes or so (for a 1lb tenderloin) to get medium-well. Some people don't like the idea of pink-in-the-middle pork, but it doesn't bother me. When done, let sit for 5 minutes.
    I would probably defer a beer choice on this one to its' author (note how many times rmd has also contributed to the "ymm, beer" thread) With all those spices, I would probably have a triple style Belgian ale with the entree. Lots of the triples have a peppery/spicy taste and often have coriander as a flavoring. Let's see if rmd has a suggestion.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    I can make a pretty mean enchilada.

2 cans Old El Paso Enchilada sauce
    1-1 1/2 lb ground beef
    Old El Paso taco seasoning packet
    Tortillas (I prefer flour)
    Oil
    shredded mexican blend cheese
    green onions, thinly sliced

brown beef according to taco seasoning packet
    Fill a skillet (larger than tortilla) with oil about 1-2" deep
    Lightly fry both sides of each tortilla, just so they are lightly crispy
    layer the lightly fried tortillas w/ paper towels to soak up oil
    (If you don't want to fry the tortillas then put them under the broiler for a little bit to get them a little crispy. be sure they are not there too long)
    lightly coat bottom of baking dish with enchilada sauce (this will prevent them from sticking)

Assemble:
    Take a tortilla, spread a little enchilada sauce on it
    Fill with beef, cheese, green onions
    roll and place in baking dish
    repeat
    pour left over enchilada sauce onto enchiladas in the baking dish so that they are well coated but not drowning. I like to leave the ends of the enchiladas uncoated so they area little crispy.
    Top with shredded cheese everywhere and whatever left over green onions you have.

bake @ 350 degrees for about 20minutes, until hot and bubbly.
    let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.

I like to serve it with sour cream, chopped lettuce, and chopped jarred jalepenos
    enjoy!
    This one's easy. A Dos Equis dark. A Negro Modelo would be good, too.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Best milkshake I've ever had:

Take 1/4 cup milk. (we use 2%)
    2 T peanut butter (we use creamy JIF)
    1 T honey (or maple syrup)

Blend until smooth.

Add 3-4 scoops vanilla ice cream. (we use Mayfield)

Blend to desired consistency. Makes 12 oz.
    No beer suggestions for this one. That makes 3 foods now I don't think I can pair with beer.

recipe

Quote Originally Posted by DukeUsul View Post
    I love to marinate chicken and grill it. I usually have all the ingredients on hand, so it's a real easy way to throw together an easy meal. Here are two of my favorite marinades:

1/4 C canola oil
    1/2 C white wine
    juice from 4 lemons/limes
    1 Tbsp zest/rind from the lemons/limes
    3 garlic cloves, peeled, minced
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp cracked pepper
    1 tsp dried thyme or 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
    1 tsp dried oregano or 1 Tbsp fresh oregano
    1 tsp dried sage or 1 Tbsp fresh sage

Mix all the ingredients in a ziploc bag with a pound or so of washed and forked (stab the meat with a fork) boneless chicken (breasts or thighs). Marinate 1-4 hrs. Drink the rest of the wine while you grill the meat.

1/4 C soy sauce
    1/2 C Mirin (rice wine) or other white wine
    1 Tbsp Tuong ot Toi (Vietnamese chili garlic sauce) or other hot sauce
    1 Tbsp peeled, minced ginger
    2 tsp hot Chinese mustard
    3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced

Same directions as above. You can also use this to marinate sliced meat and then stir fry with your favorite veggies. Store any unused ginger in a ziploc bag and freeze for up to several months.

ETA: Oh as a side dish for the chicken, how about grilled potatoes?

4 yukon gold potatoes, with skin on!, sliced into 1/4 inch discs
    1 Tbsp butter
    1 onion, cut into rings
    1 bell pepper, cut into bite size pieces
    salt and pepper to taste

Take a sheet of aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Drop the potato slices on it (not flat, they should overlap). Arrange onion and bell peppers over potatoes. Place a few pats of butter on top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Seal the aluminum foil. It's usually best to wrap it a second time. You probably want to make 2-3 packets so they are manageable to handle.

Heat your grill to medium-hot. Place foil packets on grill. Cook 20-30 minutes, turning and flipping occasionally. I usually put the potatoes on the grill 10 minutes before I put chicken on and 15 minutes before beef.
    I'd have this with a pale ale with all those spices, perhaps an IPA for even a more full-flavored beverage.

Thumbs up Beer during and with and after

How about a dish that's cooked with beer?
    My boiled shrimp.

2 pounds cleaned, shell on, large shrimp. Good fingernails, with a straightly bent shrimp, will pull a vein out sufficiently.

A bottle of your favorite brew and another of water in deep pot
    one lime, cut in half, juiced into liquid and rind dropped in
    4 tbs Old Bay seasoning
    2 tbs favorite Cajun rub
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Bring to a boil. Introduce shrimp to bath. Boil three minutes. Not four. Not two, without directly proceeding to three.
    Drain.
    Eat.
    Enjoy, with or without cocktail or other sauce. It really doesn't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    I'm there! Maybe next summer or if we have a mild December. Rosemary Fest 08!
    Since John is a year-round griller, December is a good bet. Just let me know your arrival date.

And as a note to you and others - I don't know how anyone cooks without beer...

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Thanks 2535 miles for starting it! (And...shereec -- rosemary grows like a weed in my yard and hillside, so give me a heads up and I'll send it to you).

When it's not 1:30am, I want to contribute a few of my recipes that I cherish. And again, I think a DBR Cookbook would be a huge bestseller -- and not just among us folk. Cheers to all, and GO DUKE BB as always, and DUKE FB. Have we only just begun?
    Thanks, dukemomLA! I do have a rosemary bush in my garden, although I spent years replanting until I found a variety that would last year round. Now I have to give it severe haircuts every year.

Okay - here's a recipe for Cream of Broccoli Soup
    Ingredients:
    1 bunch of fresh broccoli
    1 large onion
    3 cans chicken broth
    half & half
    2 T butter
    1/4 c flour
    salt & pepper

Cut up veggies and boil in broth until veggies are tender (about 20 minutes). Puree veggies and broth. You can do this several ways. I love my wand mixer, but running through the blender in batches works well also. Set puree aside in bowl.

Melt butter over medium heat and add flour. Stir, cooking, for a few minutes to make a roux. Add the puree, salt & pepper to taste (freshly ground white pepper is yummy) and stir over medium heat until the soup begins to thicken. Just before serving, add half & half (I use most of a pint).

Serve with croutons. Can also add grated cheddar cheese.

I will be putting up some recipes soon, but I was just wondering if anyone had a good key lime pie recipe. I love that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I will be putting up some recipes soon, but I was just wondering if anyone had a good key lime pie recipe. I love that stuff!
    Here you go:

Key Lime Pie
    Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie

Graham Cracker Crust:
    1 cup plus 2˝ tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
    5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
    1/3 cup sugar

Filling:
    3 egg yolks
    2 limes, zest grated (about 1˝ teaspoons)
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (preferably Key limes)

Topping:
    1 cup heavy or whipping cream, chilled
    3 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
    For the graham cracker crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch pie pan. Break up the graham crackers: place in a food processor and process to crumbs. (If you donšt have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag: seal and then crush the crackers with a rolling pin.) Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan, forming a neat border around the edge. Bake the crust until set and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
    For the filling: Meanwhile, in a electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until very fluffy, abut 5 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the filling has set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
    For the topping: Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff. Cut the pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream.

recipe

The stuff
    • 3-4 slices of bacon, coarsely chopped
    • 1.5 lbs sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
    • 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
    • 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 1 tbsp flour
    • 1 cup red wine
    • 3/4 cup water
    • 1 tsp tomato paste
    • 1 egg, beaten
    • Your favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe plus 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary or thyme.

Here is a link to Alton Brown's recipe from the show "Good Eats", as featured on the Food Network Website. Modify his recipe by adding the chopped herbs right before pouring in the Buttermilk. Disclaimer: I've never used Alton's recipe, I just grabbed it for ease.

The cooking
    1. Mix the wine, water, and tomato sauce together until blended, set aside.
    2. Pour remaining wine into glasses. Serve.
    3. Cook the bacon over medium heat in a large Dutch oven (or any other oven-safe pot) until crispy.
    4. Eat a few pieces of bacon, drain the rest on a paper towel.
    5. Lightly coat the meat with flour, then brown in the remaining bacon grease on all sides, about 6-8 minutes. Brown the meat in batches if you have to, don't over crowd the pan. Set aside the beef.
    6. Add the vegetables and saute until golden brown. About 6-8 minutes. Stir gently with a wooden spoon. Make sure you get up all those yummy brown pieces. Have a sip of wine.
    7. Add garlic and saute for about a minute.
    8. Return the meat to the pot. Have a sip of wine.
    9. Slowly stir in the liquid mix, and bring to a boil.
    10. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer on the stove for about 1.5 hours.
    11. Refill wine glasses as needed.
    12. Preheat the oven to 400ş.
    13. Make the biscuits.
    14. Arrange biscuits in a single layer on top of the stew.
    15. Brush with eggs.
    16. Throw the stew in the oven and bake until biscuits are golden brown.
    17. Eat it.
    Match this with a brown ale.

recipe

This smells and tastes great. It's a great appetizer you can throw on the grill right before you start cooking up the main dish.

The stuff
    • Bunch of scallops
    • Prosciutto
    • Bunch of rosemary sprigs
    • Olive oil

The cooking
    1. Fire up the grill.
    2. Drink a beer.
    3. Wrap scallops with prosciutto, trimming any excess meat.
    4. Skewer the little buggers with the rosemary sprigs.
    5. Lightly brush with olive oil.
    6. Drink a beer.
    7. Grill the scallops about 2-3 minutes per side or until opaque.

Don't worry if the rosemary flames up, this can be a good thing. If your rosemary didn't burn up, then serve with the rosemary sprigs still in the scallops. If they're burned up, then just pull em out.
    This might be good with a Kolsch.

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Here you go:

Key Lime Pie...
    Awesome, thanks.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by shereec View Post
    Fresh rosemary is wonderful stuff!
    -use as a skewer for pork kabobs - alternate with onion and marinate in italian dressing. Grill 'em.
    -use like a toothpick to hold bacon wrapped around meat chunks, then grill.
    -chop the leaves and toss with olive oil over cut new potatoes (approx 1 1/2 inch chunks), then roast until the potatoes are browned (and slightly crispy) - yum
    A lighter brown ale-Newcastle perhaps?

recipe

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    As posted previously, and endorsed by Weezie!

Val's Brisket:
    Have butcher cut off excess fat when you buy the meat.
    Rinse with cold water
    Take one package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix and smear it over one side of meat.
    Open another package and spread it over the other side.
    Lay in pan fat side down.
    Add water to pan until there is approx. 1/8 inch in pan
    Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
    Cook at 350 for 3 hours.
    Open carefully to avoid steam, stick fork into meat. If tender, remove from oven. If not tender, cook another 30 minutes and check again.
    When done, open up and let steam out.
    Take meat out of pan and put it in a container. We use a Tupperware type plastic container.
    Add water to pan to make gravy - all that onion soup mix, meat drippings and bits and pieces of brisket make the gravy!
    Pour a little gravy over the meat, cover it and place in the refrigerator overnight to cool. Put the rest of the gravy in a separate container and put that in the refrigerator too.
    Slice the meat when cool. I use an electric slicer. Slices should be ~3/16" thick (no more than 1/4 "). You must slice the meat across the grain. If you slice it with the grain it will be tough and stringy - you won't like it and all your effort is wasted.
    After slicing, put the meat back in a pan, pour the rest of the gravy over it, and heat in oven at 350 until hot.
    Serve and enjoy!
    We like white rice with the brisket. Be sure to pour the onion soup gravy over the rice too!
    Another easy one-bud light .JK, folks. It's OZZIE, remember.
    I'd have a brown ale with this one, too.

recipe

On the grill as I post.

The stuff
    Pork
    • 5 lb. pork loin
    • 1 part chipotle pepper
    • 1 part brown sugar
    • 1/2 part garlic salt

Salsa
    • 1 large white peach, chopped
    • 1 good ol normal peach, chopped
    • 2 roma tomatoes, chopped (Sorry Bostondevil had to post it, forgive me? )
    • 1 small red onion, chopped
    • 1 jalapeno, minced
    • 1 bunch cilantro, coarse chopped
    • 2 limes, juiced

The cooking
    1. To prepare the salsa, combine all the ingredients, stir it up and set aside.
    2. To prepare the pork loin, combine all the ingredients and coat the pork loin.
    3. Have a beer.
    4. Fire up the grill. I like to lightly smoke the pork, but this is optional.
    5. Grill indirectly, about 20 minutes per pound.
    6. Have many beers.
    7. Pork is ready to come off the grill when it reaches about 160 degrees. Set it aside for 5 minutes.
    8. Slice to your preference.
    9. Top with salsa.
    10. Enjoy.
    Rogue's Chipotle Ale. I am not much of a fan of beer like this but I had one of these several years ago and believe it or not, it had just enough bite to be different and spicy but not enough to sear your tongue and other parts of your GI system.

recipes

Quote Originally Posted by TNTDevil View Post
    Here you go:

Key Lime Pie
    Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie

Graham Cracker Crust:
    1 cup plus 2˝ tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
    5 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
    1/3 cup sugar

Filling:
    3 egg yolks
    2 limes, zest grated (about 1˝ teaspoons)
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    2/3 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (preferably Key limes)

Topping:
    1 cup heavy or whipping cream, chilled
    3 tablespoons of confectioners' sugar
    For the graham cracker crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch pie pan. Break up the graham crackers: place in a food processor and process to crumbs. (If you donšt have a food processor, place the crackers in a large plastic bag: seal and then crush the crackers with a rolling pin.) Add the melted butter and sugar and pulse or stir until combined. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides of the pan, forming a neat border around the edge. Bake the crust until set and golden, 8 minutes. Set aside on a wire rack. Leave the oven on.
    For the filling: Meanwhile, in a electric mixer with the wire whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks and lime zest at a high speed until very fluffy, abut 5 minutes. Gradually add the condensed milk and continue to beat until thick, 3 or 4 minutes longer. Lower the mixer speed and slowly add the lime juice, mixing just until combined, no longer. Pour mixture into the pie crust. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the filling has set. Cool on a wire rack, then refrigerate. Freeze for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
    For the topping: Whip the cream and the confectioners' sugar until nearly stiff. Cut the pie in wedges and serve very cold, topping each wedge with a large dollop of whipped cream.
    Now, if you could provide allenmurray with a recipe for a coconut custard pie, you'd have a friend for life.

Beverages

I'd like to take the time to thank devildeac for pairing recipes with beer, though I'm a little disappointed he couldn't match anything with cspan's Peanut Butter Milkshake. Anyone care to pick up his slack?

It's also a good time to encourage everyone to submit drink recipes. In my opinion, mixologists don't get enough credit in your every day culinary circles. Drink recipes are welcome.

recipes

This has been rather interesting. Thanks for the invite/suggestion 2535. What makes it even more interesting to me is I rarely have beer with dinner whether we are at a restaurant or at home. We don't eat out much and then it's usually a soup/sandwich, Mexican, Chinese or Italian. A beer with dinner will make me even more tired/sleepy than I already am after a day's work and I still have some office/business work I do at home in the evenings which is usually when I do my, ah, tastings. I think it would also be interesting for the wine experts here to offer their suggestions for pairings and some after dinner dessert wines.

recipe

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    How about a dish that's cooked with beer?
    My boiled shrimp.

2 pounds cleaned, shell on, large shrimp. Good fingernails, with a straightly bent shrimp, will pull a vein out sufficiently.

A bottle of your favorite brew and another of water in deep pot
    one lime, cut in half, juiced into liquid and rind dropped in
    4 tbs Old Bay seasoning
    2 tbs favorite Cajun rub
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Bring to a boil. Introduce shrimp to bath. Boil three minutes. Not four. Not two, without directly proceeding to three.
    Drain.
    Eat.
    Enjoy, with or without cocktail or other sauce. It really doesn't need it.
    Something lighter like a pilsner/lager sounds good. If the cajun rub is really spicy, an American pale ale with a bit more body/taste would fit.