Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'll guess August 14-15 or perhaps August 15-16, depending on when your 30 day countdown from today begins.
    Thanks, did not realize it was 30 days from release of response.

I would be very happy if we get a decision before the Heels start the ACC season (which I assume is mid-ish December). Even though there may be an appeal, etcetera, there will be a ruling on whether there are post-season bans that may come into play. Or, perhaps, not in play.

I seem to recall that if this was an ordinary case, an August hearing would likely mean an October decision more or less. I would not be surprised if this one takes longer just because of the scope of the scandal (in terms of time, sports, legal arguments, and number of athletes potentially involved).

Go to Hell, Carolina, Go to Hell.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks, did not realize it was 30 days from release of response.

I would be very happy if we get a decision before the Heels start the ACC season (which I assume is mid-ish December). Even though there may be an appeal, etcetera, there will be a ruling on whether there are post-season bans that may come into play. Or, perhaps, not in play.
    I was basing it on the 30 day timeline I remembered from way back when, in addition to the Sankey comment (paraphrasing) that the COI would meet on those days and would proceed as scheduled and/or there would be no more delays.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Based on the April 14, 2017 letter from Greg Sankey, the hearing will be held August 16 and 17. In this letter he also said "There will be no further delays, and the case will be heard on this schedule."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I was basing it on the 30 day timeline I remembered from way back when, in addition to the Sankey comment (paraphrasing) that the COI would meet on those days and would proceed as scheduled and/or there would be no more delays.
    Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    Based on the April 14, 2017 letter from Greg Sankey, the hearing will be held August 16 and 17. In this letter he also said "There will be no further delays, and the case will be heard on this schedule."
    Thank you both!

I guess I should add to my timeline -- it would be helpful to have a decision before the ACC football championship and subsequent bowl selection. We need to know whether they are taking a post-season slot (if they earn one on the field) or not.

Thank you both!

I guess I should add to my timeline -- it would be helpful to have a decision before the ACC football championship and subsequent bowl selection. We need to know whether they are taking a post-season slot (if they earn one on the field) or not.
    I thought swood might provide those exact dates and a quote.

Of course if there is an appeal the penalties will not go into effect until after the appeal is over. The Syracuse COI panel released their Public Infractions Decision on March 6, 2015. The Infractions Appeals Committee responded to the Institution’s appeal on November 25, 2015 and responded to the Head Basketball Coach’s appeal on December 3, 2015.

Then UNC will petition a court to stay the penalty until the court has been able to consider and rule on the matter.

Of course if there is an appeal the penalties will not go into effect until after the appeal is over. The Syracuse COI panel released their Public Infractions Decision on March 6, 2015. The Infractions Appeals Committee responded to the Institution’s appeal on November 25, 2015 and responded to the Head Basketball Coach’s appeal on December 3, 2015.

Then UNC will petition a court to stay the penalty until the court has been able to consider and rule on the matter.
    True, but it will diminish the desire of anyone to select them for a bowl if they are not in a "must take" slot. And of course, it should theoretically have a chilling effect on recruiting for all impacted sports. "Winter is coming."

True, but it will diminish the desire of anyone to select them for a bowl if they are not in a "must take" slot. And of course, it should theoretically have a chilling effect on recruiting for all impacted sports. "Winter is coming."
    And yet they continue to get football recruits, perhaps those of the dimwitted variety? Reading up on current events may not be their most avid hobby...

On the one hand UNC might want to just take their penalty and get it over with. That would reduce the overall amount of time their recruiting has to take a hit. On the other hand they may be motivated to resist until the bitter end for form’s sake, all the way to the Supreme Court, because they think that would be the appropriate response when there has been such a serious and extreme miscarriage of justice, and to demonstrate what a fighter they are.

It’s also worth noting that both Syracuse and Boeheim did manage to get the Infractions Appeals Committee to reduce the penalties somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And yet they continue to get football recruits, perhaps those of the dimwitted variety? Reading up on current events may not be their most avid hobby...
    I think football recruiting has benefited from at least two things. First, given that they already were punished a few years ago for a benefits problem, I think UNC has sold some recruits on the notion that "we've already been punished so we are not likely to get punished again."

Second, post-season bowl games do not seem to have the appeal to football players as the NCAA tourney does to basketball players. Football has seen players willing to sit out bowls in order to avoid injuries. The NCAA tourney, by contrast, is a national stage to try and grab a title before going to The Show.

But you're right, their football recruiting has perplexed me for some time.

On the one hand UNC might want to just take their penalty and get it over with. That would reduce the overall amount of time their recruiting has to take a hit. On the other hand they may be motivated to resist until the bitter end for form’s sake, all the way to the Supreme Court, because they think that would be the appropriate response when there has been such a serious and extreme miscarriage of justice, and to demonstrate what a fighter they are.

It’s also worth noting that both Syracuse and Boeheim did manage to get the Infractions Appeals Committee to reduce the penalties somewhat.
    Maybe it depends on whether something approaching a penalty that relates to death?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe it depends on whether something approaching a penalty that relates to death?
    On the other hand, the position UNC has taken is that it agrees that the allegations against Nyang’oro and Crowder (allegations 3 and 4) for failure to cooperate are valid. However it claims that everything from allegations 1 and 2 is not valid, either because there was no infraction or because of the statute of limitations. It denies the allegation 5 lack of institutional control but agrees that it insufficiently monitored Boxill.

So based on this stance of almost complete innocence I could see them refusing to agree to start any part of the penalty until they have no other option.

Edit: of course the death penalty is not on the table because all these allegations (except those related to Nyang’oro and Crowder) concern events that happened prior to their last public infractions decision.
    Last edited by swood1000; 07-17-2017 at 11:17 AM.

I'm Worried

What happens when this thing is all over? I'm not so much worried that a void will be opened in some peoples' lives (though that seems a risk in some instances), but rather that if UNC-CH skates, there could be some people with some very serious emotional investments that will be way more than disappointed. Are folks ready for this thing eventually coming to a close? Do folks have support systems in place in case UNC-CH gets off?

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Do folks have support systems in place in case UNC-CH gets off?
    I've gotta admit -- if UNC skates, it will put me off college sports for the foreseeable future at minimum. Because then, it would not be college sports. It would be a pure minor league where the players don't get paid, and the administrators have no way to govern such egregious behavior.

I will be mighty pizzed off if they skate or just get a slap on the wrist. Frankly, anything short of banners coming down and a few years of post-season bans is getting off easy in my book. So yeah, I'm fixin' to be disappointed bigly.

What happens when this thing is all over? I'm not so much worried that a void will be opened in some peoples' lives (though that seems a risk in some instances), but rather that if UNC-CH skates, there could be some people with some very serious emotional investments that will be way more than disappointed. Are folks ready for this thing eventually coming to a close? Do folks have support systems in place in case UNC-CH gets off?
    I'll still 9F them mightily, but:

"Ob la di ob la da life goes on bra
    La la how the life goes on
    Ob la di ob la da life goes on bra
    La la how the life goes on...

...and if you want some fun sing ob la di bla da"

My life won't change much, other than I'll post less on the DBR forums The rest of the stuff is pretty constant.

I have a great wife and kids that could care less about UNC.
    My day job is great and few people care about UNC (mostly because we get real stuff done that is helping make the world more awesome).
    20 years of State athletics has made me mostly numb to college athletics anyways, so checking further out of college sports is no big deal.
    Any time I see a UNC fan I will still think "Cheater" and laugh at that person in my head - cheaters gonna cheat.
    I'll still get mad anytime Carolina wins at anything - haters gonna hate.

I won't like the result, but at the end of the day that people whose lifes will be at risk are those atheltes that trust UNC with their future.

I've gotta admit -- if UNC skates, it will put me off college sports for the foreseeable future at minimum. Because then, it would not be college sports. It would be a pure minor league where the players don't get paid, and the administrators have no way to govern such egregious behavior.

I will be mighty pizzed off if they skate or just get a slap on the wrist. Frankly, anything short of banners coming down and a few years of post-season bans is getting off easy in my book. So yeah, I'm fixin' to be disappointed bigly.
    I honestly think we're already there. I think we have been for years.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...es-last-decade

I think anyone that thinks major college athletics isn't a minor league system is fooling themselves. I think the one and done rule finished the job of turning college basketball into a complete mockery of the "student athlete". Hopefully, a decision to abolish that rule will be made soon.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I honestly think we're already there. I think we have been for years.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...es-last-decade

I think anyone that thinks major college athletics isn't a minor league system is fooling themselves. I think the one and done rule finished the job of turning college basketball into a complete mockery of the "student athlete". Hopefully, a decision to abolish that rule will be made soon.
    Agreed, and the bold is a big part of why I don't watch college basketball as fervently as I did in the past.

Agreed, and the bold is a big part of why I don't watch college basketball as fervently as I did in the past.
    I've tried to ween myself off, but I love it too much. I admittedly don't watch with the same passion and fire as I used to. I just feel like so many players are just going through the motions and don't care about the name on the front of their jersey because they were basically forced to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I just feel like so many players are just going through the motions and don't care about the name on the front of their jersey because they were basically forced to be there.
    It seems to me, on the contrary, that those who are only staying one year in particular are highly motivated to put in their best effort in the hope of landing a good contract. But I agree that this is not traditional team spirit. They're motivated by the money they hope their performance will generate for them next year. They also recognize that if they don't appear to put the team first it will work against them both in playing time this season and with the pros, who value team spirit.