View Poll Results: What will be the top 5 films at the boxoffice this summer?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (May 5)

53 98.15%
  • Alien Covenant (May 19)

1 1.85%
  • Baywatch (May 26)

5 9.26%
  • Pirates of the Carib 5 (May 26)

8 14.81%
  • Wonder Woman (June 2)

34 62.96%
  • Captain Underpants (June 2)

3 5.56%
  • The Mummy (June 9)

2 3.70%
  • Cars 3 (June 16)

21 38.89%
  • Transformers: Last Knight (June 23)

18 33.33%
  • Despicable Me 3 (June 30)

48 88.89%
  • Spider-man Homecoming (July 7)

44 81.48%
  • War of the Planet of the Apes (July 14)

6 11.11%
  • Dunkirk (July 21)

13 24.07%
  • The Dark Tower (August 4)

2 3.70%
  • Field (all other films)

8 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    DM3 at $75 million for the weekend.

Results!

The 5 Biggest Films of the Summer (so far)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $383,273,975
    2. Wonder Woman $346,644,475
    3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $165,466,587
    4. Cars 3 $120,714,099
    5. Transformers: The Last Knight $102,103,351

Here are the current standings:

1. YmoBeThere is 4/5 (#1, #2, #3, and #4 films)
    2. aimo is 4/5 (#1, #2, #4, and #5 films)
    3. Tommac is 4/5 (#1, #3, #4, and #5 films)
    4. (tie) murpho, Reddevil, tdrake51 are 3/5 (#1, #2, and #3 films)
    7. (tie) bcsu, bjornolf, DevilBen02, duke23, FerryFor50, jjredickrules, Native, Natty_B, PackMan97, PensDevil are 3/5 (#1, #2, and #4 films)
    17. (tie) 94duke, dball, DU82, El_Diablo, NashvilleDevil, Reisen, trey are 3/5 (#1, #2, and #5 films)
    24. nmduke2001 is 3/5 (#1, #3, and #5 films)
    25. (tie) BLPOG, Highlander, wilson are 3/5 (#1, #4, and #5 films)
    28. (tie) accfanfrom1970, bjornolf, brevity, Doria, DUKIECB, IrishDevil, JasonEvans, killerleft, luburch, Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, Olympic Fan, ryetales are 2/5 (#1 and #2 films)
    40. (tie) JNort, udaman are 2/5 (#1 and #3 films)
    42. (tie) CameronBornAndBred, chriso, Dar95, davekay1971, mph are 2/5 (#1 and #4 films)
    47. (tie) Blue in the Face, Chicago 1995, LasVegas, mkirsh, Wander are 2/5 (#1 and #5 films)
    52. (tie) BD80, cato are 1/5
    54. Bluedag (This July 4th, buy advance tickets to Dunkirk!)

So, I am going to talk about something that is probably impossible... can Baby Driver come in 5th place?

Baby Driver made $21 mil this weekend and $30 mil over the 5 days since it was released. That is most assuredly not the profile of a film on its way to $175 mil in boxoffice. But Baby Driver is getting amazing reviews and, apparently, remarkable word of mouth. The only mainstream film this year to get similar reviews and word of mouth is Get Out. It was at $33 mil at the end of its first weekend back in February... and it went on to make $175 million (an impressive 5.3 multiple from opening weekend to total boxoffice).

Now, the summer is a muuuuuch better time for movies than February. There will be more mid-week business and folks are just more in a "let's go to the movies" mood than late winter. So, even though Baby Driver's opening was a bit weaker than Get Out, I think it has a very good chance to duplicate that film's impressive staying power.

It is not like it is unprecedented for a summer film to open ok (but not blockbuster numbers) and then hold up really well and make huge total boxoffice. Here are a few others who did that (not meant to be a complete list, just a few I looked up and wrote about):

The Sixth Sense - $26.8 mil opening, $293.5 mil total boxoffice. Multiple - 10.9
    Pirates of the Caribbean - $46 mil opening, $305 mil total boxoffice. Multiple - 6.6
    Bridesmaids - $26 mil opening, $169 mil total boxoffice. Multiple - 6.5
    The Hangover - $44 mil opening, $277 mil total boxoffice. Multiple - 6.3
    Wedding Crashers - $33.9 mil opening, $209 mil total boxoffice. Multiple - 6.2
    We're the Millers - $26 mil opening, $150 mil total boxoffice. Multiple - 5.7

Now, it is easy to say, "yeah, but even if it pulls a 6x multiple, the $21 mil opening weekend for Baby Driver only gets it into the $125 mil kind of area." That is true, but the weekend number for the film is a little skewed because of the Wednesday opening. There's no question that a lot of demand for the film was siphoned off on Wed and Thurs that would have otherwise made for a bigger opening weekend. I think it probably would have hit more like a $27 or 28 mil weekend if it had been a Friday release. And a $28 mil opening times a 6x multiplier would get it to $168 mil in boxoffice... that would seem to make it a contender.

Look, I'm not saying it is going to happen, it is a huge longshot, but it is not impossible and that is kinda exciting. We should keep and eye on next weekend to see what kind of staying power this film has. It could make things at least a little bit interesting.

-Jason "DM3;s $75 mil opening make it close to a lock to be in our final top 5. Hard to see it earning less than a 3x multiple which would put it at $225 mil" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 07-02-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Now this is a cool way to promo the truly magnificent special effects in your film.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I finally saw wonder woman. I must say I was not impressed. Decent movie, but I was expecting much more. Maybe I'm just a Marvel guy? DC Comics are just too dark and moody for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, I am going to talk about something that is probably impossible... can Baby Driver come in 5th place?

This was the one I was considering when I chose "Other" Just wish I had picked it over Pirates and not Wonder Woman.

That said...I'm not sure if can get there. It did make $5M on Monday. I bet it did just as well on Tuesday. We have a ton of people that we've talked to that say they are now going to see it. But...it's going to be tough for it to get movie screen coverage. Spiderman this week, then Apes, then Dunkirk. And Despicable Me ain't going anywhere. So Baby Driver will have to do what it's going to do on the same number of screens, if not less.

I hope it does it. The movie is better than every other blockbuster out thus far this year...but I predict it comes up just a tad short.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Here's a list of 30 movies yet to be released this year, including the rest of the summer.

The winter is impossibly hard, and I wonder if there is a chance that another "other movie" slips in to our summer top 5. While not likely, it could be possible that 2 make it. (After Valerian, of course, which better make it. )

http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gall...nb7Kz#image=31
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I hear ya, but it has a long way to go and I suspect it will start to peter out soon.

Currently, WW is at $318.3 mil. Guardians is at $380.2 mil. So, WW has $61.9 mil to go... though Guardians will continue to make some money, it made $3 mil this past weekend. I think Guardians ends up around $385-$390 mil. While WW is showing remarkable legs, I just don't think it will quite get there.

WW is going to start losing theaters soon as new blockbusters demand more seats. DM3, Baby Driver, and The House all open this week and will be in wide release (3000+ theaters each). Spider-man Homecoming hits next week. Up until now, WW has maintained its theater count. It was in 4165 theaters opening week and 3933 this week, an impressive hold after 4 weekends. But, those numbers are going to tumble as there simply isn't room for all the new films.

WW has also benefited from being seen as the only good movie in theaters. I mean, look at the other major films to come out since it was released: The Mummy, Cars 3, Rough Night, and Transformers 5. Ugh... With Baby Driver, DM3, and Spidey hitting theaters, WW won't be see as the only quality option. I also suspect Baby Driver and Spidey will target the same kind of audience that has been driving WW's boxoffice. The other recent releases simply haven't been the kind of films that could dent WW's fan base. That will not be the case starting this week.

I'm not saying it is impossible. Look, WW has posted remarkable holds the past couple weeks. It only dropped 29% in weekend #3 and only 39% in weekend #4, but I suspect it will stall out around $360-370 mil.

-Jason "given the great early buzz, is there any question Spidey will hit the upper $300s? I don't think so" Evans
    Wonder Woman is currently at $356.7 million through Wednesday, now only $2.4 million behind where Guardians was at the same point. It will easily blow past $360 million this weekend (possibly as early as Friday) and should finish the weekend on Sunday close to or ahead of Guardians' pace at that point ($366.4 million). Notably, other than the opening weekends, it has been outperforming Guardians for some time now despite being on fewer screens for pretty much its entire run (e.g., WW averaged $609 in 3404 theaters Wednesday, compared to Guardians averaging $284 in 3,507 theaters on the same Day 34 Wednesday in its release cycle) and should hold up relatively well as it loses additional screens. I think WW will end up ahead of Guardians when all is said and done.

Spidey could definitely pass them both though.
    Last edited by El_Diablo; 07-06-2017 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

Not to go all JasonEvans on everybody, but to the ten of you who did not pick Spider-Man: Homecoming... you lose.

I was somewhat skeptical as well, considering factors like Spider-Man reboot fatigue and superhero fatigue and too much Iron Man, but this article and new poster have convinced me that Homecoming will be a true four-quadrant movie.

HOLLYWOOD, CA - Even after slinging $15.4 million in Thursday night preview screenings, Spider-Man isn't satisfied. The Sony-Marvel production of Spider-Man: Homecoming decided to release a new poster to address some last-minute concerns that women over the age of 25 were, on average, less interested in seeing the film than other demographic groups.

"Our tracking numbers indicated that the marketing campaign was a huge success with kids and young adults, who saw heavy promotion on the Disney Channel for more than a month. Girls and young women liked seeing Zendaya in the trailers, and the use of a Demi Lovato song," said a marketing analyst. "Boys and young men wanted a Spider-Man who was actually a teenager, and the Iron Man tie-in appealed to older men."

The filmmakers, however, noticed that women over the age of 25 were not responding as positively, perhaps because the campaign failed to focus on the adult actresses in the film, like Marisa Tomei, Jennifer Connelly, and Gwyneth Paltrow. "It's late in the process, I'll admit, but this [new poster] finally capitalizes on the reunion of Robert Downey, Jr. and Marisa Tomei," said one of the film's producers. "We needed to show that our film will also appeal to women because it includes female stuff."

The studios also gauged high interest among minorities. "Based on Twitter and other social media platforms, African-American audiences liked Tom Holland in the third
    Captain America movie, and are looking forward to seeing Zendaya, Laura Harrier, Bokeem Woodbine, Hannibal Buress, and Donald Glover," said a studio executive. "And we haven't forgotten Latinos and Asians. We've got at least one of each, so that counts, right?"

(Click or zoom in to enlarge)
    onlyyou.jpg

Given the news about Hawaii Five-O this week and the comment above, I'm feeling loved by Hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Duke is admitting a lot of Asian-American students.
    Should have noted this also...the feelz are real!

FWIW, Spidey:Homecoming came in at $50 million on Friday, estimates are for $120 for the weekend.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 07-08-2017 at 06:33 PM. Reason: context fix

No surprise -- Spiderman hit it out of the park this weekend with a $117 opening.

That gives us three absolute locks for out contest -- Guardians of the Galaxy ($385 M), Wonder Woman ($368 million) and now Spiderman, which will almost certainly top $300 million.

I think Despicable Me 3 is on track to finish in the money -- $149 million after two weeks ($33 million this weekend). That's still a bit behind Pirates, but that move is pretty much finished at $169 million. Transformers is also dead, at $118 million. It won't catch Pirates. DM3 will easily soar past $200 million and that should put it in our top five.

It's pretty much going to come down to Planet of the Apes and/or Dunkirk. I'll be stunned if at least one doesn't pass Pirates, which should top out at under $180 million.

One other observation -- El Diablo's speculation that Wonder Woman might pass Guardians is looking more and more likely. WW is having a $10 million weekend to climb to $368 million, while Guardians is petering out at $385.5 million. It's going to be close. It doesn't matter for our contest, but WW has a good chance to finish No. 1 this summer.

Also, Jason's speculation that Baby Driver might make a run for the top five is looking very unlikely. True, the film has done a great job at the box office, but after two and a half weeks, it's still at $57 million -- with just $12.8 million this weekend. Hard to see it getting to $150 million.

Results!

The 5 Biggest Films of the Summer (so far)

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 $385,546,006
    2. Wonder Woman $368,786,191
    3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales $168,825,297
    4. Despicable Me 3 $149,189,535
    5. Cars 3 $133,733,412

Here are the current standings:

1. YmoBeThere is 5/5 (#1, #2, #3, #4, and #5 films)
    2. (tie) murpho, Reddevil, tdrake51 are 4/5 (#1, #2, #3, and #4 films)
    5. (tie) bcsu, bjornolf, DevilBen02, duke23, FerryFor50, jjredickrules, Native, Natty_B, PackMan97, PensDevil are 4/5 (#1, #2, #4, and #5 films)
    15. Tommac is 4/5 (#1, #3, #4, and #5 films)
    16. (tie) 94duke, accfanfrom1970, brevity, dball, Doria, DU82, DUKIECB, El_Diablo, IrishDevil, JasonEvans, killerleft, luburch, Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15, NashvilleDevil, Olympic Fan, Reisen, ryetales, trey are 3/5 (#1, #2, and #4 films)
    34. aimo is 3/5 (#1, #2, and #5 films)
    35. (tie) nmduke2001, Udaman are 3/5 (#1, #3, and #4 films)
    37. (tie) CameronBornAndBred, chriso, Dar95, davekay1971, Highlander, mph, wilson are 3/5 (#1, #4, and #5 films)
    44. JNort is 2/5 (#1 and #3 films)
    45. (tie) BD80, cato, Chicago 1995, Gooch, mkirsh, Wander are 2/5 (#1 and #4 films)
    51. BLPOG is 2/5 (#1 and #5 films)
    52. (tie) Blue in the Face, LasVegas are 1/5 (#1 film)
    54. Bluedag (Lots of dudes in Dunkirk. Do I need to make a poster for women?)

I going to enjoy my peak ranking of five this week. Danger Cars.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I going to enjoy my peak ranking of five this week. Danger Cars.
    I'm only heading in one direction after this week's 5 for5.

I'm pretty sure my last film, Spiderman, will break into the top 5, but can DM3 and Cars 3 pass Pirates 5 AND hold off a late run by another movie?

That's kind of a sad sentence there, top five completely dominated by series and reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I'm pretty sure my last film, Spiderman, will break into the top 5, but can DM3 and Cars 3 pass Pirates 5 AND hold off a late run by another movie?

That's kind of a sad sentence there, top five completely dominated by series and reboots.
    Cars 3 is toast. It will be passed by the Spidey movie momentarily.

I get that. My question was whether Cars 3 and DM3 had the legs to pass Pirates 5 before all is said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Cars 3 is toast. It will be passed by the Spidey movie momentarily.
    The question is whether Cars 3 can supplant Pirates as #5 (behind Wonder Woman, Guardians, Spider-Man, and Despicable Me). It looks like the answer to that will be no, with Cars 3 probably finishing in the $150-$160 million range and Pirates likely ending up around $175 million for #5 unless Dunkirk and/or Apes can supplant it.

My money at this point would be on Apes getting it done and rounding out the top five.