Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Improvement

(Slightly) in Wheat's defense, teams most definitely can improve during the course of the season. With the amount of talent on this team (and most Duke teams that I can remember), it's a matter of coming together at the end of the year. We've seen it happen (2010), and we've seen it not happen as well. I always look for improvement from month-to-month in the teams. If there is little improvement by mid-to-late January, I get wary of just how far the team can go in March and April.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I have seen enough to know the bigs are reacting inside and not creating plays.
    Sorry Wheat, but we will have to disagree. I have seen every game including all the home games in person. Mason and Ryan both have played at a very high level in every game on both ends of the floor. Miles has been up an down but has still made solid contributions as he did tonight. The team was struggling to score in the Davidson game (whose front line is bigger than Michigan's) and K had them pound it down low to Mason again and again, and Mason delivered big time. The only thing that kid is doing wrong right now is poor free throw shooting. I agree that they should go to him even more, but tonight was not the night to do it. Belien schemed the defense to double every time as that was there only chance down low against our bigs.

My overall point remains this team can score in many ways and have showed that game in and game out. As for 3's, there aren't many shooters in the country better than Seth and Andre. Austin can knock them down as well, as can Ryan, and Quinn.

5 guys averaging double figures is great team basketball. I personally love the balance. If they ever learn to play intense defense for 35-40 minutes, they will be extremely difficult to beat.

They are undefeated against a tough schedule which I did not expect at this point given all the question marks coming in. They will take their lumps along the way but, come March, they will be a tough out.

Say what you want about our Guard play, Austin River being a BEAST (He is!!!!), Curry being lights out (He is too!!!) and the fact that Dawkins can light it up whenever he gets a chance (He is three!!). The key to our success is the play of Ryan Kelly.. He has that ability to make big plays on both ends of the court. I still feel like he is highly underrated and does a ton of things behind the scenes that continuously get overlooked. Even the big man Jay Bilas missed him a few times tonight.. What does the guy have to do to get the recognition he deserves!! Not hating, just want him to be appreciated by everyone else in the nation!!

I love having Ryan on the floor. He doesn't have jaw dropping athleticism, but his ratio of good to bad plays is outstanding.

I don't think he has a bone in his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Hairston was 4-6 from the field against Presbyterian. He has not scored in the other four games (0-3 from the field). On the season, he has one assist against three turnovers. I acknowledge he has had limited opportunity so far this season, but I have a hard time figuring out where he fits in the rotation. He appears to be a tweener - not big enough to be a power forward but not quick enough to be a small forward. I expect he will see some minutes during non-conference games in December, but once the ACC schedule starts on January 7, I suspect his minutes will become few and far between barring serious foul trouble.
    I think it's difficult to make judgments about Hairston when he's played 15 minutes in the last four games on a guard-oriented team. The 1-3 A/TO doesn't mean much to me, though if we're using small sample sizes, Hairston has the best per-minute rebound rate on the team. I like Hairston's energy when he comes in, and though I guess he could be an inch or two taller, I actually don't see him as a tweener -- he's listed at 6-7, 235, and doesn't play small. Lance Thomas, by comparison, was listed at 6-8, 225, and played exclusively at the 4. I've long wanted to know what we had in Hairston, and if Thornton's primary value is his energy and intangibles, i'd assume Hairston can provide more of the same.

That said, I wasn't born yesterday, and I'm not deluding myself into thinking that Hairston will play major minutes this season. This rotation from tonight is likely what we're in for come ACC time. I'm just saying I'd like to see Hairston get some more time, especially with Miles Plumlee consistently underwhelming.

On the other hand, it's more than plausible that Cook is good enough to carve out more time, and it'd definitely be in our team's best interests. I'm very intrigued by what I've seen from him both in high school and for Duke, and I'd love to see a viable Cook add to our depth in the backcourt, especially when he appears to be a legit talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I think it's difficult to make judgments about Hairston when he's played 15 minutes in the last four games on a guard-oriented team.
    I am not passing judgment, I am just stating an opinion, which is: Hairston needs another year to develop and will certainly be a guy who contributes in the future. I doubt he plays very much this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    On the other hand, it's more than plausible that Cook is good enough to carve out more time, and it'd definitely be in our team's best interests. I'm very intrigued by what I've seen from him both in high school and for Duke, and I'd love to see a viable Cook add to our depth in the backcourt, especially when he appears to be a legit talent.
    I agree with you 100 percent! Cook will play a lot this year. I was really impressed by Cook's performance with USA Basketball.
    Bob Green

Jeez, Duke fans will complain about inside scoring all day long, but as soon as a UNC fan comes in and says the same thing then everyone gets all defensive. Mason has had some solid games but continues to be a work in progress. I think it's fair to say we'll need him to continue to improve if we want to start talking about winning a national title (which is basically what Wheat said). Miles needs to pick his spots well and not try to do too much, he's a solid contributor but is never going to lead our team in scoring. Ryan scores in a lot of ways but is not a traditional low-post scorer. We're going to eventually have a game where we don't shoot well from the outside (yes, it is possible that EVERYONE is cold on the same night) and need to prove we can win those games. This has been the case for the past several years.

We should all appreciate what we have this year. I guess it makes sense to point out the negatives and express doubts, but considering what we lost from last year, our current team is a revelation. We have five guys who have a good chance to make one of the three All ACC teams (Seth, Austin, Ryan, Mason and Andre). We are undefeated (so far) against a very difficult schedule. We are exceeding expectations, which is really hard to do at a place like Duke.

Instead of nitpicking every little mistake, I prefer to consider what our opponents must think when they play us. How can they defend a lineup of Seth, Austin, Andre, Ryan, and Mason? They all need to be double-teamed and none of them can be. Our bigs are very big and very talented and athletic. Most teams can't match up with us inside, and when's the last time we've been able to say that? Our guards are ridiculous. There might be a few better backcourts in the country, but that doesn't mean anybody can guard ours. On how many teams in the country would Quinn Cook be the fifth perimeter player on the depth chart?

On defense, we've been much better much earlier than anybody could have expected, with so many people in new roles defensively. Yes, once we build a big lead we have tended to exhale and we're not good enough defensively yet to let up even a little and expect to dominate. Still, we've been good enough so far to bend but not break. As we get more comfortable playing D, we'll either play hard for 40 minutes (not letting up after carving out a big lead) or we'll be good enough to exhale without letting the other team get out on a run. Or we won't, but I think we will.

Put another way, we've been good enough to build leads of at least 13 points in every game we've played, and at least 16 in every game but one. And our D has been good enough to make those leads stand up.

I'm thrilled with what I've seen from Duke so far this season. I'm sure we'll lose a few games along the way, but this is shaping up as a special year.

Miles and Mason

Duke looked great in the first half, the exterior players were smashing.

However, how often did Mason or Miles touch the ball early in the clock? Did you see anything that remotely looked like a play to have one of them catch it on the move--for example, the ball is on the right side near the sideline, corner or foul line extended, Miles or Mason comes up the lane on the left side to the left top corner of the lane, sets a backscreen for the guard, the big defender shades, Miles or Mason comes across towards the ball, towards space in the middle, with the guys on the exterior being committed, as in under orders, to get the cutter the ball, to get it to them with appropriate timing and touch, or sit?

When the going gets tough, or is expected to be tough, Duke goes to an exterior oriented game in which the Plumlees' principal roles are to set high screens, mostly for Rivers, but also for Dre and Curry, and to offensive rebound. I saw one guy look to get it to one of the Plumlees early and that produced a dunk That's the list.

Getting it later in the clock close to the baseline with a guy on your back IS NOT A SCORING POSITION or did no one listen to the General the night K broke his record--he kept on saying that Mich. State's boigs were getting it too low, and that their ability to scare anyone from that position was minimal if that. Well, somehow Duke could not figure out a way to get either Plumlee the ball either inside the lane or midway up the side of the lane, and certainly not on the move or to make an athletic catch that would create even a milli moment of separation, or heaven forbid, an edge towards the basket.

I think that Duke plays a wonderfully entertaining style and it is every bit as effective as one would expect given its wealth of talent. You want a championship callibar team, you get the Plumlees involved, and I mean as in integral to the offense. You don't, I don't like Duke's ability to make meaningful noise. Maybe they don't have it--I mean, UNC looks awfully, awfully good, and there are a host of teams that can really, really play, whose bigs will tear you up. Maybe Duke is just berift of the gifted Big that it needs.

PS Neither of the Plumlees is named Brian or Lance and they will not make the type of contribution those guys did, in particular Brian, playing blocking back. It ain't happening. Asking them to try, to me, would be a shame. Sadly, unless K makes it otherwise, it seems to me that that is where this team might be headed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    We should all appreciate what we have this year. I guess it makes sense to point out the negatives and express doubts, but considering what we lost from last year, our current team is a revelation. We have five guys who have a good chance to make one of the three All ACC teams (Seth, Austin, Ryan, Mason and Andre). We are undefeated (so far) against a very difficult schedule. We are exceeding expectations, which is really hard to do at a place like Duke.

Instead of nitpicking every little mistake, I prefer to consider what our opponents must think when they play us. How can they defend a lineup of Seth, Austin, Andre, Ryan, and Mason? They all need to be double-teamed and none of them can be. Our bigs are very big and very talented and athletic. Most teams can't match up with us inside, and when's the last time we've been able to say that? Our guards are ridiculous. There might be a few better backcourts in the country, but that doesn't mean anybody can guard ours. On how many teams in the country would Quinn Cook be the fifth perimeter player on the depth chart?

On defense, we've been much better much earlier than anybody could have expected, with so many people in new roles defensively. Yes, once we build a big lead we have tended to exhale and we're not good enough defensively yet to let up even a little and expect to dominate. Still, we've been good enough so far to bend but not break. As we get more comfortable playing D, we'll either play hard for 40 minutes (not letting up after carving out a big lead) or we'll be good enough to exhale without letting the other team get out on a run. Or we won't, but I think we will.

Put another way, we've been good enough to build leads of at least 13 points in every game we've played, and at least 16 in every game but one. And our D has been good enough to make those leads stand up.

I'm thrilled with what I've seen from Duke so far this season. I'm sure we'll lose a few games along the way, but this is shaping up as a special year.
    Nailed it.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

I found a video of the post-game press conference that I thought was worth sharing. K does most of the talking. Austin gets a few words in. K thinks Duke is a pretty dangerous shooting team with Ryan in the lineup. I agree.

You know, all this wailing and gnashing of teeth over our post play makes me think we should play a game where we shoot (not make, shoot) three 3-pointers in the first half, get half our points in the paint, and both Plumlees score double digits. I guess it's too bad that hasn't already happened or anything.

Yes, we shot a high number of three pointers and made a high percentage. That didn't happen by accident; one of the classic ways to beat the zone is to shoot over it, and the 1-3-1 in particular is vulnerable to the corner threes. We saw a weakness and successfully exploited it. In doing so, we just beat a top-15 opponent on a neutral court by a healthy margin. I'm pretty sure that's what good teams are supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

However, how often did Mason or Miles touch the ball early in the clock? Did you see anything that remotely looked like a play to have one of them catch it on the move--for example, the ball is on the right side near the sideline, corner or foul line extended, Miles or Mason comes up the lane on the left side to the left top corner of the lane, sets a backscreen for the guard, the big defender shades, Miles or Mason comes across towards the ball, towards space in the middle, with the guys on the exterior being committed, as in under orders, to get the cutter the ball, to get it to them with appropriate timing and touch, or sit?

When the going gets tough, or is expected to be tough, Duke goes to an exterior oriented game in which the Plumlees' principal roles are to set high screens, mostly for Rivers, but also for Dre and Curry, and to offensive rebound. I saw one guy look to get it to one of the Plumlees early and that produced a dunk That's the list.

Getting it later in the clock close to the baseline with a guy on your back IS NOT A SCORING POSITION or did no one listen to the General the night K broke his record--he kept on saying that Mich. State's boigs were getting it too low, and that their ability to scare anyone from that position was minimal if that. Well, somehow Duke could not figure out a way to get either Plumlee the ball either inside the lane or midway up the side of the lane, and certainly not on the move or to make an athletic catch that would create even a milli moment of separation, or heaven forbid, an edge towards the basket.

I think that Duke plays a wonderfully entertaining style and it is every bit as effective as one would expect given its wealth of talent. You want a championship callibar team, you get the Plumlees involved, and I mean as in integral to the offense. You don't, I don't like Duke's ability to make meaningful noise. Maybe they don't have it--I mean, UNC looks awfully, awfully good, and there are a host of teams that can really, really play, whose bigs will tear you up. Maybe Duke is just berift of the gifted Big that it needs.

PS Neither of the Plumlees is named Brian or Lance and they will not make the type of contribution those guys did, in particular Brian, playing blocking back. It ain't happening. Asking them to try, to me, would be a shame. Sadly, unless K makes it otherwise, it seems to me that that is where this team might be headed.
    I think you have to Michigans defense some credit, they were doubling the post and their zones dont give you easy passing lanes inside for the most part. That and Duke was playing it's second game in 2 days, with little if any time to prepare for a vastly different defensive approach from MU. I think they did ok, they caused Mich. to focus on them on defense and Duke's bigs were a disruptive force on Defense altering quite a few shots close to the basket. That's a solid contribution on a winning team, even if it doesn't jump out at you on the stat sheet.

Speaking of not jumping out at you, anyone else notice Miles offensive stance when he gets the ball in the post is too wide? Appears to me, like he is exaggerating the width of his stance to play big or something, but looks like his feet are so far apart when he gets the ball, he's more or less stuck. His first move has to be to take a step to shorten his stance before he can even begin a post move, if he just doesn't travel first. Seems like he would be better able to make an effective offensive move if he had a more normal, balanced stance. It's hard to even pivot when you have your feet way out wide like that (don't try this at home). What sometimes looks like indecision might just be his stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post

We do seem to have 3-4 different guys stepping up each night. If Andre can score off the bounce a little better, everyone improves their free throws and we cut down on turnovers, we'll be putting teams away earlier in games. We're building leads now, just not sustaining them. We're close though, and getting better each game. For all the complaining out there, it has to be said that a lot of former role players are growing into key players pretty well. 6-0.

Quote Originally Posted by DownEastDevil View Post
    This actually makes me feel pretty good about this team. I can recall Wheat's analysis of the 2010 team and we all know what that team did!

Sure sounds familiar. Go Duke!
    I think I was mostly right on with that analysis, with the exception of miles becoming "really" good.

Duke ended up getting exactly what I said they needed tha year, from Zoubek.

Just A Thought

Do you all remember the chart that Luke Winn did last year? The one that showed the number of assists, and their recipients, that Kyrie dished vs. the number that Nolan dished? I'd be curious to see what percentage of Seth's assists go to Andre vs. the percentage of Austin's assists that go to Dre. I know that Austin clearly dished to Dre for a second-half three, but my gut feeling is that Austin just doesn't pass to Dre very much. I'm not trying to create an issue where none exists, it's just my personal impression.

NOTE: Here's the link http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ngs/index.html
    Last edited by slower; 11-23-2011 at 07:47 AM.

Not Perfect

Duke isn't perfect, but, the train is just now leaving the station. I really like what I am seeing, I'll tell you that. This is an excellent basketball team right now and they are only going to get better. I wouldn't complain too much about the post players, with Mason, Miles and Kelly there are alot of ways to attack with these 3. I see a great season ahead and I believe these kids play very hungry and are solid competitors. Better look out, is my opinion. Lots of weapons here.

Team will depend on Miles and Mason

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post

What we have seen to date is that our guard play is very solid and improving game to game. In addition, Ryan is an extremely valuable big man who can score, is money from the line, plays good defense and does his share of rebounding.

That leaves the Plumlee brothers who can either bring this team to really compete for a final four position and beyond or be just a good team. Both Plumlees are physical specimens who have obviously worked very hard on condiitoning and strength.

Adding to that, Mason catches the ball well and can make good passes. He has developed a jump hook that is hard to stop and is capable of thunder dunks. He doesn't seem to have mastered other moves around the basket and has happy feet when trying to line up other shot possibilities. He has a major weakness shooting from the line. One would think that anyone with the kind of time that he has in practice could do better than 30% from the line. Clearly, defenses can foul him without suffering much of a consequence. Please Mason, solve your free throw issues. While Mason loses his defensive position at times, his athleticism and effort alters what opponents can do against us inside. He doesn't foul all that much so overall he is a very good player who could bring this team further with just a few tweaks.

Miles is also a gifted athlete but has trouble catching the ball, holding it and doing much offensively when he gets it inside. Can he improve during the rest of his senior season. Zoubeck did so there is hope, but Miles hasn't had physical problems so it is unlikely. His fould shooting is also spotty but he doesn't get to the line that much since he is touching the ball less these days.

Let us hope that Mason and Miles can improve and play a more dominant role in the two key games to come next.

This team needs either Mason or Miles to step up their offensive games if it is to compete at the highest levels.

We

I think our bigs have played well.

I dont know wheat, Mason is avg 10 ppg while shooting 11-32 from the line. Ryan is avg 12 ppg and we have played against some good comp at the start of the season. I like the way this team plays, you dont know where the bomb is coming from. They are going to get open looks all season, they just got to knock them down.

Its going to be a good chance to see how we stack up with Kansas because that Robinson cat is a beast. And, they played Kentucky pretty tough until mid way through the 2nd half so this is going to be a good test.

Quote Originally Posted by tele View Post
    I think you have to Michigans defense some credit, they were doubling the post and their zones dont give you easy passing lanes inside for the most part. That and Duke was playing it's second game in 2 days, with little if any time to prepare for a vastly different defensive approach from MU.
    THIS
    MU isn't a cupcake. They are a quality opponent with "hand" meaning they have some name recognition, unlike say Belmont or a Curry-less Davidson team. Lets give MU some credit. That D was a bit of a new wrinkle. I'm not surprised the post had some trouble attacking it with the dribble and pass.

The team is looking good!
    when Silent G and Murf get added to the mix it will be dazzling the number of options and combinations we can put on the court.