Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    I brought that up and posted a couple videos. while i don't really appreciate that kind of thing, I can't blame kids for getting excited when they make a big shot/big dunk. There's a ton of adrenaline and people at all levels of the sport due stuff like that (the worst is in the NFL where people do dances for everything...pick up 1 yard running BETTER CELEBRATE.

Anyway, I just wish so many people here wouldn't criticize kemba for the same thing duke players do. it amazes me that despite doing so many things right, how many people on this board go to the ends of the earth to find things not to like about the kid.
    I guess I missed our guys doing the monocle thing. I am NOT a fan of that kind of thing at all. Either way, I think it was the shoulder bump during a timeout thing against SDSU that REALLY got my goat. Reminded me too much of something a guy like Rodman used to try to pull. Ah, well, nobody's perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I guess I missed our guys doing the monocle thing. I am NOT a fan of that kind of thing at all. Either way, I think it was the shoulder bump during a timeout thing against SDSU that REALLY got my goat. Reminded me too much of something a guy like Rodman used to try to pull. Ah, well, nobody's perfect.
    Acting to get a call is an old past-time in sports, and something which I don't have a problem with. This is something which Duke tends to excel at, in fact. If something is legal and will increase your chances of winning, I see no problem with it, even if it is frowned upon (as flopping generally is). We've had some of the best here at duke, and I personally think it's genius to do.

Need I remind you of this incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0upQDkY-pg

When someone says "but duke flops all the time so they get all the calls," my response is "well if you get calls from it, how come your team isn't smart enough to do it too?" While I can't stand the whole shoulder bump stuff that goes on (it happens in almost all college games during free throws...sort of a dominance thing i guess? i don't get it), Kemba made a conscious decision to do what he did and he got his team two points from it. Maybe it's cheap (so is flopping on charges) but it gave his team a better chance to win, and I can't fault a kid for that.
    1200. DDMF.

Note I said this was "shuckin' and jivin'" and put a winky face. I was just laughing along with the dancing on that one. I wasn't saying he was taunting there. I was trying to be funny. Sorry. I hate that these new smilies all look so much alike. It loses all the nuance.
    That's so racist. Just because the guys are yellow doesn't mean they all look alike. (Now I don't know what smiley face to use.)

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    That's so racist. Just because the guys are yellow doesn't mean they all look alike. (Now I don't know what smiley face to use.)
    I'm not racist. I'm size-ist. They're too small and their expressions aren't different enough at that size for me to be able to tell the difference between several of them. I couldn't care less what COLOR they all are.

I'm not racist. I'm size-ist. They're too small and their expressions aren't different enough at that size for me to be able to tell the difference between several of them. I couldn't care less what COLOR they all are.
    So now you're saying they couldn't coach big men?

people were talking about the uconn student section, it looks pretty full tonight...maybe they paid people to come off the streets
    1200. DDMF.

The BUTLER must sley the Huskies!!! 40 minutes! Take the Final shot! Go DAWGS! Matt Howard PLEASE PLEASE stay out of foul trouble tonight.

people were talking about the uconn student section, it looks pretty full tonight...maybe they paid people to come off the streets
    just kidding

they were using camera angles...uconn section is just about 50% full...butler is like 80%

makes sense given the distances
    1200. DDMF.

What a snoozer. This reminds me of Georgetown vs Kentucky back in the 80's.

Somebody hit a shot.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    What a snoozer. This reminds me of Georgetown vs Kentucky back in the 80's.

Somebody hit a shot.
    This is just ugly, ugly, ugly basketball.

This is playing into Butler's hands.

All the better. Calhoun doesn't deserve a third championship. After this year's revelations, it will be unfortunate if his name is uttered in the same ballpark as the other 3+ championship coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Spret42 View Post
    This is just ugly, ugly, ugly basketball.
    First one to 20 wins!
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    This is playing into Butler's hands.

All the better. Calhoun doesn't deserve a third championship. After this year's revelations, it will be unfortunate if his name is uttered in the same ballpark as the other 3+ championship coaches.
    uconn's best 3 players are out in foul trouble...i think calhoun has some experiences with his best players missing the first half with foul trouble and the team being down at halftime in the final 4...
    1200. DDMF.

Ugly? Ponderous? Great. This favors Butler.

Really, do we want the national champions in each of the men's revenue sports to be teams engulfed in NCAA violations and scandal? Auburn and Connecticut are every thing wrong with the Div. 1 athletics. I am not as keyed up as I would be if Duke were playing, but I really want Butler to win.

Uconn's student section doesn't look full at all. Butler should really be up 12 or so. Yeah, both teams are shooting horribly, but Butler's D is amazing.

uconn's best 3 players are out in foul trouble...i think calhoun has some experiences with his best players missing the first half with foul trouble and the team being down at halftime in the final 4...
    That's true. Duke fans that complain about the 2004 game forget about how Okafor was straddled with the same ticky tack calls. Now, I'll side with my brethren on the officiating in the last 5 minutes of that game, but the fact that we were even in it amazed me.

As for tonight, it's more the pace and the defense. They made a good point earlier in the game -- Butler plays better badly (or plays badly better?) than any team in the nation. They just take you out of the game.

And in a game where two teams are playing like excrement, I'll side with Butler. That's exactly what they want.

Wow, Butler made ONE two-point basket in the first half. Just...wow. Over 50% of their shot attempts have come from 3-pt range. Weird. I hope Butler can hang on. Calhoun winning 3 out the 4 times he's been to the FF just doesn't seem right.

BCS doesn't look too bad right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Wow, Butler made ONE two-point basket in the first half. Just...wow. Over 50% of their shot attempts have come from 3-pt range. Weird. I hope Butler can hang on. Calhoun winning 3 out the 4 times he's been to the FF just doesn't seem right.
    3 of their 3 point shots came from 25+ feet
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no
    Acting to get a call is an old past-time in sports, and something which I don't have a problem with. This is something which Duke tends to excel at, in fact. If something is legal and will increase your chances of winning, I see no problem with it, even if it is frowned upon (as flopping generally is). We've had some of the best here at duke, and I personally think it's genius to do.

Need I remind you of this incident?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0upQDkY-pg

When someone says "but duke flops all the time so they get all the calls," my response is "well if you get calls from it, how come your team isn't smart enough to do it too?" While I can't stand the whole shoulder bump stuff that goes on (it happens in almost all college games during free throws...sort of a dominance thing i guess? i don't get it), Kemba made a conscious decision to do what he did and he got his team two points from it. Maybe it's cheap (so is flopping on charges) but it gave his team a better chance to win, and I can't fault a kid for that.
    Excellent post. Gave you a pitchfork because I absolutely hate this argument. Drawing an offensive charge is an art and Duke players have been taught to perfect it. We are among the most efficient teams in the country, if not the most efficient, at being in correct position to draw the offensive charge year in and year out.

Arguing that Duke is doing something illegal (i.e. technical worthy) when drawing a charge is like arguing that stealing the basketball from another player should be considered shoplifting and result in a fine. Give me a break.