View Poll Results: Who do you want to win the title?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • UCLA

2 5.41%
  • Memphis

7 18.92%
  • Kansas

26 70.27%
  • Other

2 5.41%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Abc.
    My choice but the most unlikely victor.

Kansas--they've had such deserving teams that have fallen just short over the past twenty years. Plus, I like the fact that they've got an academic all-american in Kaun and no one who I would be ashamed to have transfer to Duke. Rock-chalk, baby.

The also-rans:
    Memphis--Can't root for Conference DOA or John Calipari. Anybody with such disdain for the importance of free throws doesn't deserve a national championship.

UCLA--This year has been filled with such blathering about the Pac-10 and anti-East Coast Bias that I can't stand the thought of them winning. Plus, they WILL be considered a dynasty by today's standards if they win (a NC and three straight FFs).

UNC--Are you kidding?

I'm going with Davidson here.

NOT UNC! Never UNC!
    NOT Memphis! Calamari is a squid.
    Either UCLA or Kansas, don't care which.

1) Kansas or UCLA are both equally ok with me
    3) Memphis (dislike Calipari)
    4) Rain out (I know... it can't happen inside) or every team gets the flu and they call the tourney off or they move the Masters up a week because the Azaleas have already bloomed and they cancel the tourney... well you get the idea.

For me, it's like the upcoming Presidential election - all of the choices suck. All I can do is hope for better choices next time.

my perfect world

obviously, it will be much more humiliating for roy to lose to Kansas, so I'll take that as my # 1 choice...as Kansas will find out, they won't be back in the final four any time soon and talk of DYNASTY will ebb..roy crys on TV

my 2nd favorite would be for Memphis to beat UNC by 40 in the final, with Tyler and roy being tossed on technicals in the 2nd half with only about a minute to go...all those memphis guys will be gone, gone, gone...so, again...no dynasty talk..roy crys on TV

my 3rd favorite would be for UCLA to beat the holes by 40, and tyler being held to 4 pts and NO rebounds or foul shots, while love goes for a career high and is voted MVP of the tourny... Roy is ejected at the end of the 2nd half and lawson just barely tweaks the ankle to remind him to go pro. Ellington and greene follow...roy crys on TV and can't even say "fricken"

the Hole's private Jet is stuck on the tarmac for about 6 hours and psycho T earns his name...

I can't think of a much worse Final Four. ABC, clearly. But then it's tough. I loathe Calipari. I don't like Howland. I don't like Self. It's UCLA or Kansas. I guess.

I want Ol'Roy's school.

KU!

UCLA, because they already have us beat on number of titles; anyone else would be catching up (at best.)

And NEVER, ever, EEEVVVEEERR Carolina, purely because of how abnoxious their fans would get. To be honest I wish I could root ACC, but I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueintheFace View Post
    So who do you want and why?

Memphis

UCLA

Kansas

The Holes (explain yourself)
    Kansas...They are way past due.

2008 Ncaa

nothing could be simpler than knowing your (or I guess you're) ABC(s).

Quote Originally Posted by barjwr View Post
    Memphis--Can't root for Conference DOA or John Calipari. Anybody with such disdain for the importance of free throws doesn't deserve a national championship.
    I don't like Calipari anymore than others here, but there are better reasons to hate him.

I think he knows as much as anybody that free throws are important, his stance this year is for psychological reasons. If he stresses how important free throws are, and his team sucks at them, then they tighten up at the line, and only get worse. His approach now has allowed them to relax at the line, and BAM, they shot 84% against Texas in a game where Rick Barnes basically fouled for the last 4 minutes. He's not that dumb that he doesn't see it as important, at least I don't think so (but I could be wrong).

This is something of an emotion-driven intellectual exercise; tempered by practical implications for Duke. In ascending order of preference"

1. UNC. NO. HELL NO. They are our arch-rival. Despite the fact that I actually do like Roy; he is for the most part a good guy except for the occasional annoyance, and I admire Tyler Hansbrough (wish we had him - we offered), I cannot under any circumstance root for our enemy.

That, and UNC cross recruits with Duke more than any of the others. What's bad for them is good for us.

2. UCLA. Nothing particular against them, but we don't want them to win as it might somehow validate the pansy-butt brand of basketball that passes in the PAC-10. Also, they recruit against us a fair amount. So, again, bad for them = good for us.

3. and 4. This is an oddball. On the one hand you have Memphis. They don't cross recruit with us much, if any. This is easy to explain as their lineup looks like, well, a "line up." (hahaha.) Calipari is a dirtbag, though - his ilk represents in large part what is wrong with college basketball. So, even though a win by Memphis would have the least effect in terms of balance of power vis a vis Duke, my conscience will not allow me to root for them. They get the 3 slot.

4. Kansas - they recruit against us some, but not as much as UNC or UCLA. Also, they seem to be for the most part a classy team and Self seems like a decent guy. A Kansas win would have the added benefit of knocking UNC out in the semifinals, humiliating Roy, and denying UNC the chance to tie or break Duke's historic 37 win total from 1986. So, GO KANSAS!

ABC, baby..

Beyond the fundamental premise above, I'm gonna tread off the beaten path a little bit and say Memphis. This team has been characterized as thugs, not for real, can't shoot free throws, the first #1 seed to get knocked out, etc. Yet they've still put together a spectacular season.

I'll admit it, I'm one of those who has doubted Memphis all year. They come from an unusual conference, they have an unusual coach, they run an unusual offense. I've been subconciously looking for reasons to downplay Memphis all year but this team is solid all the way around. After seeing the way they completely dispatched MSU and then beat Texas into submission (in Houston, I might add), I think this team believes (like Calipari preaches) that it's their time.

They'll need steady play out of Dorsey, but I think Dorsey will be the biggest challenge (athletically speaking) Kevin Love has had all year. I, like many NBA scouts, am very curious to see how Love handles Dorsey; it might very well determine the outcome of the game.

Lastly, though this is hard for me to admit, I'm actually starting to (gasp) like Calipari...

Unhappy I Predict....

Who do I want?
    The meteor!

My prediction, however, is leaning toward UCLA.
    Due to: defensive play/backcourt qualities/free throw proclivity

The meteor vs UCLA?
    The meteor, due to possibility of improvement in recruiting.
    They've won it enough to last for the remainder of my lifetime.

In my heart, KU, because of reasons discussed above (beating Roy is prime among them).

But Shammrog has me convinced that it probably better for us if Memphis wins. Plus, they are a marginal power anyway. Ooh - except if they win even one more game, they will beat the single-season wins record of 37 held by 2 duke teams (1986, 1999) and UNLV (1991) and Illinois (2005). So, go KU, I guess.

Kansas, because in order for them to win the title, they have to beat UNC first.

My 14-year-old son likes said he would like to see this:

It's UNC versus UCLA in the final game. The Heels are down by 3 with about 2-3 seconds left, and they have the ball. They get the ball in to Ellington, Green sets the screen, opening Ellington up at the top of the key for the potential game-tying three. He shoots and it is clear that the shot is going to go in. However, Frogface, in his enthusiasm, jumps up, grabs the ball out of the air, and slams it home with a triumphant scream, thus converting the trey into a deuce, causing the Heels to lose by a point.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Kansas, because in order for them to win the title, they have to beat UNC first.

My 14-year-old son likes said he would like to see this:

It's UNC versus UCLA in the final game. The Heels are down by 3 with about 2-3 seconds left, and they have the ball. They get the ball in to Ellington, Green sets the screen, opening Ellington up at the top of the key for the potential game-tying three. He shoots and it is clear that the shot is going to go in. However, Frogface, in his enthusiasm, jumps up, grabs the ball out of the air, and slams it home with a triumphant scream, thus converting the trey into a deuce, causing the Heels to lose by a point.
    This is good, but I'd rather see him get called for traveling after making his "patented spin move" to the basket.

ABC.

Given that, I'll take (1) KU, (2) UCLA, (3) Memphis