Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Perspective is a funny thing. Colm Wilkerson is 5'8" http://www.thetudorswiki.com/page/Colm+Wilkinson

Google lists Jackman as 6'2".

Liam Neeson, a prior non-musical JVJ stands 6'4".
    Good point re Wilkerson, but he does seem so much broader, esp in the chest...

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Good one! So we'll see a topless Valjean?
    One can only hope!!!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...qs=n&form=QBIR

All kidding aside, wow, even just the trailer is powerful. Think I'm going to need to bring a whole box of Kleenex to the theater for this one!
    Last edited by DevilAlumna; 09-22-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Good one! So we'll see a topless Valjean? ...
    Matthew McConaughey is playing the lead?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Matthew McConaughey is playing the lead?
    Well he DOES own a Duke shirt, if I remember "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" correctly...so maybe we want his shirt on...

New Trailer

Link from Huffington Post article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2094807.html

You hear most of the voices, and Crowe obviously worked on this. The only one that sounds thin compared to the London and N.America performances I have seen is Seyfried.

I'll be honest, I had watery eyes at the end of this. This is the musical that, even as a music ed major in college, really broke it open for me. Paid 10 pounds for balcony seats at the Palace theatre in London, and I was RIVETED. I'd never seen anything like it. Still haven't, really.

Article says great reviews from screening. Did some digging, soundtrack on 24th of Dec., release on Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosmage View Post
    Link from Huffington Post article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2094807.html

You hear most of the voices, and Crowe obviously worked on this. The only one that sounds thin compared to the London and N.America performances I have seen is Seyfried.

I'll be honest, I had watery eyes at the end of this. This is the musical that, even as a music ed major in college, really broke it open for me. Paid 10 pounds for balcony seats at the Palace theatre in London, and I was RIVETED. I'd never seen anything like it. Still haven't, really.

Article says great reviews from screening. Did some digging, soundtrack on 24th of Dec., release on Christmas.
    Interesting that they cast Eponine from the 25th Anniversary cast, Samantha Barks.

Also snuck Colm Wilkinson onto the set in a supporting role. It must have been difficult for him to listen to Crowe crowing the Valjean role. Maybe there was a bit of voiceover.

The casting of Borat as Thenardier could be brilliant, Helen Bonham Carter as Madame Thenardier certainly will be.

Eponine

The only other good Eponine was Lea Salonga - Barks will do VERY well as Eponine imho. Crowe is Javert, not Valjean - and he can do the role, the almost psychotic devotion to the rule of law. I think they all understand that it's more than just a movie, similar to the Rent Cast. The only benefit was that the Rent cast was, by and large, the original cast. In this case, the cast was mostly too old to reprise any roles that they may have had in previous years, i.e. Colm Wilkinson.

Speaking of the 25th Anniversary, I never realized that the original Thenardier was Prothero from V for Vendetta.

The Thenardiers will be perfection. Seyfried is the only one that worries me, honestly.

Still can't wait! :-)

More

According to the producers, there is NO voiceover. Each person actually sang his/her song live while filming was done. It allows for more interpretation than lip-synching to a pre-recorded version.

And on a silly side note, you should enjoy watching "One Grain More":

Grain video

"Now I spend my days confused... wondering how you milk an oat!"

(You may wish to freeze the invitation at the ~0:02 mark to read it. "...at the humble abode of Jean Valjean")

k

The only other good Eponine was Lea Salonga - Barks will do VERY well as Eponine imho. Crowe is Javert, not Valjean - and he can do the role, the almost psychotic devotion to the rule of law. I think they all understand that it's more than just a movie, similar to the Rent Cast. The only benefit was that the Rent cast was, by and large, the original cast. In this case, the cast was mostly too old to reprise any roles that they may have had in previous years, i.e. Colm Wilkinson.

Speaking of the 25th Anniversary, I never realized that the original Thenardier was Prothero from V for Vendetta.

The Thenardiers will be perfection. Seyfried is the only one that worries me, honestly.

Still can't wait! :-)
    From that second trailer, it looks like a lot of the lyrics will be spoken as dialogue. I wonder how much dialogue they'll actually add, which is generally needed in the movie context to help with continuity. There is a lot of 4th wall breaking in the stage play (Gavroche, Col. Thernadier specifically) that I'd deem essential lyrics, and that will need to be "re-imagined" for the movie. This movie has to draw in people that have never seen the play a la Chicago.

If you look at the Les Mis original cast, a ton of them have popped in and out of mainstream pop culture the last 25 years:

- Roger Allam (original UK Javert) was actually Prothero in V for Vendetta. He's a recognizable face in several British movies and TV shows and played Illyrio in Game of Thrones. Will be interesting to see if he reprises that role when Illyrio returns down the line.

- Patti LuPone (UK Fantine) - a ton of stuff. You'd know her face.

- Frances Rufelle (UK Eponine - who I always preferred as Eponine, even over Salonga) -- her daughter is current recording artist Eliza Doolittle

- Alun Armstrong (UK Thernadier) was one of the guys that betrayed William Wallace in Braveheart. He also has a familiar face and has been in several other well known movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    According to the producers, there is NO voiceover. Each person actually sang his/her song live while filming was done. It allows for more interpretation than lip-synching to a pre-recorded version.

And on a silly side note, you should enjoy watching "One Grain More":

Grain video

"Now I spend my days confused... wondering how you milk an oat!"

(You may wish to freeze the invitation at the ~0:02 mark to read it. "...at the humble abode of Jean Valjean")

k
    Ha, interesting/amusing find. I went and read the guy who made it's blog about the making-of, and he wrote:
    "(A lot of people have asked if we are lip-syncing in the film; the answer is yes and no. Yes in the sense that in a musical film, you must always pre-record vocals ahead of time in order to preserve the quality of the soundtrack. No in the sense that the film contains our real voices, and during filming we were still singing at the top of our voices. Just ask our neighbors!)"
    Until now!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Wait, you're wondering if Wolverine can appear as physically strong onscreen?
    To be fair, Valjean is described in the book as imposingly large (not just ripped and strong). Not that Jackman is small, but He looks more fit than I'd expect from Valjean. Neeson is a huge guy (though not quite as bulky as I'd picture Valjean, either) and makes more sense physically. I can't think of an actor who I actually picture playing Valjean, but Neeson is pretty close to it.

Having watched a few of the trailors, it definitely looks like it could be really good though. I'm excited.
    Last edited by CDu; 11-28-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    To be fair, Valjean is described in the book as imposingly large (not just ripped and strong). Not that Jackman is small, but He looks more fit than I'd expect from Valjean. Neeson is a huge guy (though not quite as bulky as I'd picture Valjean, either) and makes more sense physically. I can't think of an actor who I actually picture playing Valjean, but Neeson is pretty close to it.

Having watched a few of the trailors, it definitely looks like it could be really good though. I'm excited.
    Imposing like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3zU2...eature=related

Two cool posters I've come across:

les_miserables_ver11_xxlg.jpg
    les miserables movie poster.jpg

Stinks for Eddie Redmayne and Samantha Barks (Marius and Eponine) - since they're not household names, they've gotten cut from all the promotional material.

All singing is live in the movie

Methinks perhaps you are confusing the comments by the makers of the spoof "One Grain More" with those of the makers of the upcoming film "Les Miserables."

Explanation

Excerpt: "Every single person is singing every take live."

As for the spoof, I met the neighbors were likely considering a call to the infamous folks in the white coats...

k

Quote Originally Posted by Kimist View Post
    Methinks perhaps you are confusing the comments by the makers of the spoof "One Grain More" with those of the makers of the upcoming film "Les Miserables."

Explanation

Excerpt: "Every single person is singing every take live."

As for the spoof, I met the neighbors were likely considering a call to the infamous folks in the white coats...

k
    No, I got it. I was pointing out that what the maker of "One Grain More" wrote has pretty much been the norm in Hollywood until this movie version of Les Mis.

Hence, what the guy wrote - "in a musical film, you must always pre-record vocals ahead of time " - has been true up until now, because this version is doing it differently.

Clips from the movie!!

Acting and singing for cameras allows for more nuance than belting it out on stage. It's different, but I'm excited.

This one shows best how different the movie will be:

Here are three others.
    Who am I?

Look Down

Samantha Barks may steal the movie: On My Own

Eponine

Samantha was amazing in the 25th anniversary edition. She's perfect.

I was watching the Look Down clip, and although I'm sure Crowe had a lot of training, he just feels...forced. As a musician, I credit him for his effort, and maybe it'll look better in context. But either way, I'm excited for his intensity. That clip had him NAILING Javert's nuances perfectly.

Still excited. I'll check the other clips tomorrow, I'm being sent to bed so I can do homework tomorrow. Stupid certification classes

Night folks!

Seyfried

Interesting observation ... I just got my latest issue of Time Magazine and their observation was that the strongest Oscar buzz coming out of critical screenings was for ... Seyfried.

To be fair most of the other early blurbs I've seen have been rapturous about Hathaway.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Interesting observation ... I just got my latest issue of Time Magazine and their observation was that the strongest Oscar buzz coming out of critical screenings was for ... Seyfried.

To be fair most of the other early blurbs I've seen have been rapturous about Hathaway.
    Keep in mind I'm only speaking as a 12-year music teacher, not as a movie critic or anything. Seyfried just sounds thin in the one preview I saw, I'd have to see a TV spot for her specifically until the movie comes out, but in the one ad I saw, she just sounded thin. Cosette's part is incredibly high, so if she pulls it off, so much the better.

All in all, I. Can't. Wait. :-D

Keep in mind I'm only speaking as a 12-year music teacher, not as a movie critic or anything. Seyfried just sounds thin in the one preview I saw, I'd have to see a TV spot for her specifically until the movie comes out, but in the one ad I saw, she just sounded thin. Cosette's part is incredibly high, so if she pulls it off, so much the better.

All in all, I. Can't. Wait. :-D
    Here is the one I didn't post. Interesting only people we haven't heard sing yet are the Thernadiers. Maybe they are trying to maintain a serious tone in the trailers. Maybe they don't want to remind people of Sweeney Todd (even though I liked that movie).