Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    UK had players like Terrence Jones, Doron Lamb and Darius Miller coming back. UCLA...doesn't.
    Well, don't forget the Orange County, NC refugees for the Bruins; yeah, Drew, there's a guy who's been great for team chemistry. Where?...errr, Wear, two.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    Yeah, we didn't have times where we just stopped scoring. We didn't look for an isolation play when we needed something done on offense. We won some quality games, but to claim that the end wasn't painful/painful to watch would be insane. You can call it baseless, but our scoring droughts were common during the last season to anyone who was watching. It would be blind to say that we had a potent offense. One of the most telling stats that shows that we either shot it on the perimeter or gave it to Austin in hopes of him doing it on his own is our 204th in assists last year.

Last six games, we were 3-3 and averaged 68 points a game. Early, we found ways to score, but towards the end, it dried up and we relied heavily on a player we don't have.
    Of course Duke had scoring droughts. You know who else had scoring droughts? Every other team in college basketball. That includes teams such as Kentucky or UNC. (Do you remember the end of the first Carolina game when their offense was so impotent they didn't get a shot off in the last 3+ minutes?) Maybe you didn't watch any of the games that featured any-of-the-other-teams-in-Division-I. Maybe you didn't watch what happened during our games when the other team had the ball. Which seems likely enough, since you think offense is what held Duke back last season. If you had, you would see that all teams go dry for long spells. Random chance basically guarantees it.

In any event, to say that Duke used isolation ball a lot or assisted on a low percentage of baskets says nothing about the potency of the offense. Sure, it describes the offense, it explains how we went about trying to score, but it offers no insight into whether we were actually good at scoring. And the truth is that Duke was very good at putting up points last season. I don't see how this is even an argument. Even with the weak offensive production we got in the ACC tournament and NCAAs with Kelly out, our offense was the 11th most efficient in nation last year. At times it was #1.

Duke stumbled at the end of the season. I don't think anybody denies that. The loss of Kelly surely played a role there. The collapse of Dawkins's confidence surely played a role. Playing two elite defenses in UNC and FSU surely played a role. Lady Fortune very likely played a role. It's unfortunate that we hit a lull at the worst possible time, but we did. It doesn't change the fact that our offense was the team's strength for the lion's share of the season.

As for the loss of Rivers, let's have some perspective. After 2011, Duke lost the #1 pick, the #21 pick, and a second round pick to the NBA. We came back this past season and put together an elite offense. Rivers is expected to go mid-first round. Given that much lesser loss, I see nothing to prevent K assembling a similarly excellent offense--albeit one that functions differently--with next year's plethora of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't agree with that. I would think that Mason wants to win a championship (in addition to developing his game) and having Shabazz on the team would have helped towards that goal. I have a hard time believing he feels otherwise.
    Mason's already won a National Championship. He spent the second half of this past season playing second fiddle to Austin. He came back so he could turn himself into a lottery pick, and with an elite scorer on the team that would have made it harder IMO.

I'm not in any way questioning his commitment to the team. I just think it will help him in his own development to not have Shabazz on the team.

Bazz would have been nice, but I'm really not all that broken up in the fact he decided to play for the Bruins.

I prefer watching our own kids grow and be part of something long term. Kids like Mike, Alex, and Marshall will get their feet wet this year and in another year or two will be stars.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Not everyone can be as polished as ...

Attachment 2548

pigeon fella.

btw, what happened to your avatar?
    Yes, not everything can be like SkypeGate. I really respect Shabazz for just coming out and saying his choice.

Noel on the other hand...

Avatar was removed after some posts were misinterpreted...

Quote Originally Posted by Des Esseintes View Post
    Even with the weak offensive production we got in the ACC tournament and NCAAs with Kelly out, our offense was the 11th most efficient in nation last year. At times it was #1.

I think this is a case where the numbers don't seem to match up with the eye test. Our offense just didn't look fluid for most of the year. Our high-scoring games were ones in which we hit a lot of threes against bad teams; but we were terribly inconsistent, we shuffled our starting lineup around constantly because we couldn't figure out who our best players were or what everyone's roles should be, and we suffered losses or narrow wins against mediocre teams. We relied on a player (Austin) going on-on-one far more than we typically would, and we didn't have any inside-outside balance. I do agree that our defense was the bigger problem than our offense for most of the year, but that sort of turned around in the last month which is what most of us remember.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to next year. We'll have a ton of experience, combined with some new and talented pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think the happiest guy in the world right now has to be Mason. Without Shabazz (or Austin for that matter), he is now the team's #1 option on offense - not that he'll necessarily lead the team in scoring, but our first option has to be to try to get the ball into him. If there's a silver lining in not getting Bazz, it's that maybe we'll for real try to develop an inside game this year (and stick to it).
    Yeah, I think we will see a concerted effort to feed the ball down low. I expect we'll run the offense through Kelly again but perhaps a lot of inverted passes from Kelly to Mason down low and hopefully Cook and Mason will click this summer. I expect a big year from Mason even with Bazz but especially now without. Guy almost averaged a double double and didn't miss a shot from the field in our last game. Everyone on here seemed to limit him to 15/10 but I see no reason why he doesn't get to 17/12. He has less competition with rebounds than T. Rob did and will be more of a focal point. We lose 10.5 rebounds between AR and Miles (7.1 from Miles) and 22 points from both of them. I'm not sure how much more time he will get or can handle as he was already at 28.4 perhaps push that to 30 (perhaps 32 although we haven't had a big get that time since McBob and Shelden) and he has gotten rid of stupid fouls so that shouldn't be a concern either.

All that said, the more I thought about him coming back, and Duke really did win the last few days. A 4th year guy in a system is invaluable and I know I'm missing a few guys but I can't think of few if any C's I'd rather have than Mason. Reggie Johnson obviously killed us, Withey seems like a guy ready to become a dominant defender but his offense is questionable, Cody Zeller is a stud, and then you have the incoming guys who I think will have a learning curve for the most part. So that puts us with probably a top 5 center in college basketball who has been in the system for 4 years and will be fully developed physically.

Quote Originally Posted by loldevilz View Post
    I don't think that saying that the top freshman will be among the best players in America is shocking. Kentucky just won the championship with 3 starting freshman two of which were easily some of the best players in the country.

As for Kyle Anderson, I've heard many say that he is much faster than he looks. My opinion is that being 6-8 he will be very difficult to stop in college.

Obviously having chemistry problems could hurt them and I'm not saying that UCLA will be a juggernaut but considering the state of college basketball I think its ridiculous to not put them in the Top 10, and I would put them in the top 5.
    Like Harrison Barnes good or Anthony Davis good. The best freshman are usually athletic freaks. Shabazz may be that- Anderson is not. He will be a good player at some point- but he has work to do- and somethings he will not be able to overcome. That said- UCLA will be much improved and certainly top 10- but that is far away from winning it all. Duke won a championship two years ago by starting 3 seniors- there are a lots of ways to win it all.

Well like they say....on to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to come up with a reason for Shabazz to go to UCLA that doesn't lead to a better reason to go to UNLV - same region vs. hometown, program on the rise vs. program scraping bottom, coaching staff he knows vs. coach that no one knows.
    Would you rather go to college in your hometown or a few hours from your hometown? UNLV might be on the rise, but UCLA has been to the top of the mountain more often and more recently, and Howland came close twice in the last 10 years. Maybe it's possible that the SI article and Howland's recent issues are more driven by Nelson than Howland. I don't remember any accusations of recruiting violations or NCAA issues, just a lot of drinking and drug use and a lack of discipline associated with that class and the one(s) below it, as described by the players who were involved. Yes, they have had a few down years, but aside from Duke, which blue blood programs haven't? Look where UNC was about 10 years ago and turned it around with 1-2 good classes. Maybe the Adidas thing is possible, but it's a pretty serious accusation, should probably be made with more than hearsay or conjecture to support it, especially when there are plenty of good reasons to chose UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by licc85 View Post
    That said, it's starting to look like Duke and Coach K are no longer able to have the pick of the litter when it comes to recruits.

I believe Murphy's absolute ceiling next year is freshman Kyle singler

I think we basically know what we are going to get from everyone else, except Dawkins, who we can just bench at this point if his shot isn't falling.
    Bro don't be so spoiled, we have signed the No.1 recruit the prior two years!! Also as i'm sure you know we are the considered favorites early on for next years #1 (Jabari Parker), don't let bazz get your hopes down, i look for big things out of Murph or Silent G this year!

I also am comparing Murphey to my all time favorite Super Singler, as they have seemingly the same build and height with both being 6'8 respectively. If he can do anywere near what singler did his junior or senior year (years he played the 3) then WATCHOUT!!

As for Dawkins...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    Avatar was removed after some posts were misinterpreted...
    Wait, something was misinterpreted? At this site? Really?

BLUE HEART.jpeg

Hope THAT is not misinterpreted!

ORDER has been restored.jpg

Ah, those were the days. Still wish Duke would have sold those shirts. They were darn nice.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Wait, something was misinterpreted? At this site? Really?

BLUE HEART.jpeg

Hope THAT is not misinterpreted!

ORDER has been restored.jpg

Ah, those were the days. Still wish Duke would have sold those shirts. They were darn nice.
    I'm ok with misinterpreting posts because it's hard to get the full "story" while reading a computer screen. It's just nice when people ask questions about the post instead of attacking someone personally.

As for the shirts, I have a similar one...I'll just leave it at that.

And as for Bazz, I know we weren't surprised he went to UCLA, but I think he would have looked great in an "Order has been maintained" shirt.
    Best of luck to him, as long as it's not against us. He really does seem like a decent kid...if only those "kids" could make their own decisions (if this in fact was the case).

So did anyone tell Shabazz that he has to play with LD3 next year?

I don't know that he's going to like that too much..

Quote Originally Posted by sporthenry View Post
    ...I know I'm missing a few guys but I can't think of few if any C's I'd rather have than Mason. Reggie Johnson obviously killed us, Withey seems like a guy ready to become a dominant defender but his offense is questionable, Cody Zeller is a stud, and then you have the incoming guys who I think will have a learning curve for the most part. So that puts us with probably a top 5 center in college basketball who has been in the system for 4 years and will be fully developed physically.
    I would much, much rather have Mason than Reggie Johnson. It's not even close. Even though Johnson killed us he had other games where he was virtually invisible. Haven't seen Withey that much, he looks pretty solid but we'll have to see how good he is without Robinson alongside him. Is Andre Drummond coming back? I can't imagine he would with the postseason ban, but he would be a top center. I'm probably forgetting some guys too but I agree, with Mason we could have one of the top five or so big men next year. When was the last time Duke could say that?

Quote Originally Posted by DukeGirl4ever View Post
    And as for Bazz, I know we weren't surprised he went to UCLA, but I think he would have looked great in an "Order has been maintained" shirt.
    Given all that's gone on at UCLA (Howland allegations, Reeves Nelson beating everyone up, presence of LD3) perhaps we need to get him fitted for a "Disorder has been maintained" shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    What about red-shirt Freshman Alex Murphy? He would've been a 5 star wing if he had stayed in this class.
    Wishful thinking is pathologic. We will have a pretty good team next year but we must face the facts. If Murphy were a game changer you can bet he would not have been redshirted this year. Everybody is dreaming of a new Quinn Cook...mainly because they can't imagine our future with T.T. at the point. I have been hoping for a Plumlee miracle for four years and am still waiting. There is no way to sugarcoat it. If Parker and Jefferson both go elsewhere, we will obviously be in a major recruiting slump.. . It would serve us all well to devote less time on the board discussing recruits like Shabazz only to be let down. Truth is that the heels are chuckling tonight
    (I have talked to several) and McAdoo is probably chomping at the bit. Having said all this, UNC survived a drought (NIT) and so can we! I'm hopeful but not delusional. With a first round loss to Lehigh and only one recruit for next year I must quote from former Panthers coach John Fox...."It is what it is."

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Devil View Post
    Wishful thinking is pathologic. We will have a pretty good team next year but we must face the facts. If Murphy were a game changer you can bet he would not have been redshirted this year. Everybody is dreaming of a new Quinn Cook...mainly because they can't imagine our future with T.T. at the point. I have been hoping for a Plumlee miracle for four years and am still waiting. There is no way to sugarcoat it. If Parker and Jefferson both go elsewhere, we will obviously be in a major recruiting slump.. . It would serve us all well to devote less time on the board discussing recruits like Shabazz only to be let down. Truth is that the heels are chuckling tonight
    (I have talked to several) and McAdoo is probably chomping at the bit. Having said all this, UNC survived a drought (NIT) and so can we! I'm hopeful but not delusional. With a first round loss to Lehigh and only one recruit for next year I must quote from former Panthers coach John Fox...."It is what it is."
    A whole lot of ridiculousness in this post. I don't even know where to begin. Let's just say that I disagree with almost everything in this post.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    A whole lot of ridiculousness in this post. I don't even know where to begin. Let's just say that I disagree with almost everything in this post.
    I 100% agree w/ you here lol

Quote Originally Posted by 60's Devil View Post
    Yep- time for you to find another team to root for. UCLA has a bunch of ex-Carolina players and the top high school player in the Country. You can probably start there. By the way- if McAdoo was a game changer- why could he not beat out John Henson for a starting role.