Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Hard to understand

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    This will probably be unpopular, but I think this whole situation is a little unsettling from a distance, and that the bolded seems like a disingenuous sentiment.

I mean... if I put myself in his shoes, I have a hard time blaming him for his decision, or even disagreeing with it. I'm 6'7, the best athlete on the team, and Coach K told me I have the highest basketball IQ of anyone he's ever recruited when he was trying to get me to come to Duke. However, now I can't crack the rotation, even occasionally as an energy guy, when I'm the only guy between 6'4 and 6'8 and our historically poor perimeter defense is full of guys who let ballhandlers waltz right by them and don't compete for rebounds. Then, after benching me for months, Coach K gives me a nice slap in the face by putting me in for the last few seconds of the humiliating loss to Lehigh so I can sacrifice my fouls for him before going back to the bench. Then, not only does K go all out for a one-and-done who would jump me on the depth chart next year, he goes after any transfer from CMU to Mississippi State that looks like me once he misses, and continues to go all out for a one-and-done who would jump me on the depth chart the following year.

I may be shy, but I'm a very talented basketball player who most high-major programs would be ecstatic to have, and would appreciate. Why in the world would I stay in this situation?

Perhaps he was just a head case, or became a terrible player since I saw him last summer or something, but on the surface... I just don't like how this played out, at all.
    Based on the performance of last seasons team, it absolutely seemed we needed a long athletic wing. Without trying to put the blame anywhere, it is very disappointing to see him leave after one year. Who knows if he would have blossomed at Duke, all we can do is watch what he does at another University. We likely go forward into next season with Alex as the only wing player over 6'4".

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    all we can do is watch what he does at another University
    I'm curious to see what his next fan base does. Specifically, will they maintain the moniker "Silent G"? Also, will they keep the shorthand "{g}"? Only time will tell.

Seriously though, I'm very sad to see him go. I find it's best for my heart and soul to assume the best in these sorts of situations. Being disappointed, my reflex is to assume the worst about Mike, because that makes my heart ache less when he leaves. Kind of like when you're dumped in a relationship. However, that's just a selfish defense mechanism. In the long run it's always most profitable for everyone involved (including yourself) to assume the best about others. When a waitress is rude to you, assume her kid is sick at home and she stressed beyond belief. When someone cuts you off on the road, assume they're rushing their pregnant wife to the hospital. Call it idealistic pollyannaism, but it works for me. Patients often do seemingly crazy things. If I didn't assume best intentions I'd go crazy pretty quickly.

In this situation, I assume Mike's decision was exquisitely complicated and agonizing. I assume that he tried his best in practices throughout the year. I assume K has been giving him fair iterative feedback to keep him posted as to where he stood. I assume he is really sad thinking about leaving his teammates. I assume he is second guessing himself even now. I assume there is more to the story than just a hankering for playing time. Etc.

Whatever the rationale, his decision is done. We wish him the best. Oh yeah, and I also assume that we will be fine. We will miss him, but we will be fine.

I wonder what the real story is although we may not know for years if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePublisher View Post
    I haven't heard any transfer rumors, but it wouldn't shock me if Gbinije looked into going elsewhere. I get the vibe from him that he doesn't exactly love the Duke spotlight. Let's hope not as I think he can be a valuable asset to the team and school.

I posted that on the morning of 3/28 in the 'New 2012 recruiting thread'. Shame to see my hunch come true...

On the sunny side, I do think this put us up a notch for Amile.

well, i hate to see him leave....i hope it was amicable...for all you folks speculating, i'd be willing to bet that if his future was that bright at duke, that the staff would have convinced him to stay....

i wish him the best of luck....

I am sad on so many levels. I wanted to have a 1-2 punch of Gbinije and Alex, but more than that, I wanted to see him succeed in that uniform. He is a very talented player who was our first recruit of last year. He also seemed like such a bright kid. It hurts in a lot of ways. I wish him the best. I always saw him coming into his own later on and becoming a little Battier. I don't know... just sad.

We absolutely need to get a SF to add depth to the position and have two guys that matchup well against each other in practice at the position.

Reminds me of the Jamal transfer... he seemed like a really good kid, and frankly to have some skills that might be useful. It just didn't work out, and it leaves me a bit sad.

That said... I remember my first glimpse of {g} was in his "smack" video with JMM before he came to Duke. I remember being struck by two things... first, that JMM seemed like a really good, down to earth kid... and second, how strange it was to hear Mike talk about being one and done. Now, he may have just felt the need to "compete" with JMM, who everyone knows was a possible one-and-done, but still... it was very rare to hear a Duke player say anything like this, and even rarer to hear a non Top 5 type of player to say it. Honestly, it made me just a touch uncomfortable... like Mike wasn't maybe understanding the situation he was in, a situation where he CLEARLY would not get one-and-done sort of playing time.

Maybe it was random, or maybe it was a sign of things to come. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I got a chuckle out of the bolded line. That would only be true if the player can play effectively at all 5 positions. Has there been anyone since Magic Johnson or Grant Hill who could do that? (Even Grant may have had a hard time playing #5 in college.) If a player is slotted at one position, the available mpg for him is 40.

Did anyone other than Mike (if even he did) think he would get 10 mpg his first year? Maybe what fell through the cracks was unreasonable expectations.

There are lots of reasons why a kid would want to transfer. Unless and until he or the coaching staff say something about why, we won't know. Most kids who come to Duke are high character kids. I assume he is, too, and I wish him well.
    340 minutes out of a possible 6,800 is 5%. That would be slightly less than Quinn but more than Josh. Position doesn't really factor into it.

Assuming 900 players enter D1 each year, Mike's top 30 ranking puts him in the top 4% of all entering players. How unreasonable is it to expect an athletic top 30 recruit who happens to fill a glaring area of need to play 340 minutes over the course of a season.

The last thing I will say is the last time we had our best player leave early for the NBA and lost a player who many fans expected to be in the rotation we won a national championship. Heck, all we need now is that transfer and we have 3 ingredients to the recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    340 minutes out of a possible 6,800 is 5%. That would be slightly less than Quinn but more than Josh. Position doesn't really factor into it.

Assuming 900 players enter D1 each year, Mike's top 30 ranking puts him in the top 4% of all entering players. How unreasonable is it to expect an athletic top 30 recruit who happens to fill a glaring area of need to play 340 minutes over the course of a season.
    Gbinije entered not only a D1 program, but one of the top 3% of D1 programs. So saying he's in the top 4% of all entering players is sort of moot. Most of those players are going to much worse basketball teams, and most of those players aren't playing major minutes as a freshman.

Coach K has been very consistent with his rotations over the years. He's going to play the key 7-8 players major minutes and the 9th and 10th guys play sparingly. Gbinije was (apparently in Coach K's eyes) the 9th or 10th best player on last year's team. As such, he sat. Complaining about the way Coach K handles his rotations isn't going to change that. This wasn't some conspiracy. It's really as simple as the coaching staff didn't feel (based on practice, which Coach K values A LOT) Gbinije gave his team the best chance to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    That said... I remember my first glimpse of {g} was in his "smack" video with JMM before he came to Duke. I remember being struck by two things... first, that JMM seemed like a really good, down to earth kid... and second, how strange it was to hear Mike talk about being one and done. Now, he may have just felt the need to "compete" with JMM, who everyone knows was a possible one-and-done, but still... it was very rare to hear a Duke player say anything like this, and even rarer to hear a non Top 5 type of player to say it. Honestly, it made me just a touch uncomfortable... like Mike wasn't maybe understanding the situation he was in, a situation where he CLEARLY would not get one-and-done sort of playing time.
    I've seen this mentioned a few times, and he was clearly just messing around. He even took the mic back after he finished his joke to say that he was kidding about being a one-and-done.

The main thing I don't understand is how hard he was recruited over. Alex Murphy reclassifying, no big deal. Shabazz and Jabari... bad luck that they play his position, although it's still kind of too bad for him.

However, Duke going hard after Zeigler and being "all in" for Hood before his decision was made is a little much, IMO. If they knew he was gone, that's one thing - but everything I've heard points against that, including what watzone has said and G's father saying they were still undecided last weekend and that K tried to convince him to say. The most realistic scenario, I think, is that the staff knew he was considering the possibility, but that he had given no indication that he was leaving.

Guess this is over and there's not much left to say, but there were a lot of things about how this all went that I don't like.

I've seen this mentioned a few times, and he was clearly just messing around. He even took the mic back after he finished his joke to say that he was kidding about being a one-and-done.

The main thing I don't understand is how hard he was recruited over. Alex Murphy reclassifying, no big deal. Shabazz and Jabari... bad luck that they play his position, although it's still kind of too bad for him.

However, Duke going hard after Zeigler and being "all in" for Hood before his decision was made is a little much, IMO. If they knew he was gone, that's one thing - but everything I've heard points against that, including what watzone has said and G's father saying they were still undecided last weekend and that K tried to convince him to say. The most realistic scenario, I think, is that the staff knew he was considering the possibility, but that he had given no indication that he was leaving.

Guess this is over and there's not much left to say, but there were a lot of things about how this all went that I don't like.
    If there is a player on the roster that is not ready to contribute in the near or medium term, why shouldn't the coaches recruit other players at that position? Especially in this era where players don't stay 4 years as often.

Why is there so much sentiment that G is a great player who was unfairly treated when the evidence points more to him being a player that did not hav the tools to contribute much right now?

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    If there is a player on the roster that is not ready to contribute in the near or medium term, why shouldn't the coaches recruit other players at that position? Especially in this era where players don't stay 4 years as often.

Why is there so much sentiment that G is a great player who was unfairly treated when the evidence points more to him being a player that did not hav the tools to contribute much right now?
    Well, according to K, he did feel that there was an opportunity for Gbinije to contribute next year. And given that Hood and Zeigler would have to sit out a year, it's not exactly recruiting for the short-term.

I don' think anyone has implied G is a "great player". However, I do think he would have been a terrific role player for us, which is not of marginal importance (see 1998-2002). And I'm mainly basing my sentiment on watching him play a ton against college and professional players last summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Reminds me of the Jamal transfer... he seemed like a really good kid, and frankly to have some skills that might be useful. It just didn't work out, and it leaves me a bit sad.

Maybe it was random, or maybe it was a sign of things to come. Who knows?
    What is a 'smack' video and who is JMM? I probably should know the answer to both of those questions, but I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    What is a 'smack' video and who is JMM? I probably should know the answer to both of those questions, but I don't.
    James Michael McAdoo, and a silly video the prospects did before one of the high school all-star games last April.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Gbinije entered not only a D1 program, but one of the top 3% of D1 programs. So saying he's in the top 4% of all entering players is sort of moot. Most of those players are going to much worse basketball teams, and most of those players aren't playing major minutes as a freshman.

Coach K has been very consistent with his rotations over the years. He's going to play the key 7-8 players major minutes and the 9th and 10th guys play sparingly. Gbinije was (apparently in Coach K's eyes) the 9th or 10th best player on last year's team. As such, he sat. Complaining about the way Coach K handles his rotations isn't going to change that. This wasn't some conspiracy. It's really as simple as the coaching staff didn't feel (based on practice, which Coach K values A LOT) Gbinije gave his team the best chance to win.
    More often than not I tend to agree with you but this isn't one of those times. First off I don't consider 10 mpg to be major minutes. Secondly I have always felt that Coach K has underutilized the bench and while Coach K may have 927 more wins than me, I have never lost a D1 game that I coached. Thirdly, I never stated nor thought that it was a conspiracy, just a poor utilization of an asset. Finally, it's a message board isn't bellyaching on the menu.

I think I've said my fill on this topic. I can't remember who wrote this and I'm just too lazy to look it up but if feel sad for both Duke and Mike that it came to this. I wish him well wherever his travels may take him.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post

I agree. I didn't see anything special in Mike G's play last year. Yes, it was a small sample size, but many other players in similar situations are able to show that they are likely going to be very good. I don't know. I'm just not convinced.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor

This was a tough one to swallow for all the reason mentioned that I won't repeat, and I see both yours and Jim's points. Both have merit. I do have to believe, that given the glaring need at SF this year, if Gbinije could have helped, K would have played him more. Especially after Murph redshirted.

On the other hand, K said something in 2010, and I have heard him repeat the sentiment since then. To paraphrase, K said he learned from Wooden, that once you figure out what your team is best at, you should make your focus improving the team at whatever that best is. In 2010, that meant abandoning post offense, and working to perfect the 2 screener/rebounding bigs + 3 perimeter scorers. That is actually what started the whole myth that all Duke bigs do are "Screen". Never mind K radically changed the offense the very next season.

This year, if memory serves, Gbinije's first DNP was in the GaTech game in Atlanta. From that point on, K cut the rotation and focused on making the shorter rotation the best team he could make it. Gbinije was unfortunately on the outside looking in, and did not make that "cut" so to speak. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that's how K plays it. It does not mean the kids outside that rotation never get to play again that season, as E-Will proved. Josh initially wasn't in the core rotation either, but he worked his way into more minutes, garnered a start at Va Tech, and was solidly in the rotation once Kelly went down. As someone else mentioned, at that point, Gbinije was actually battling Josh and Andre for minutes, yet still could not get on the floor. Once I saw K play Andre at the 4 in that first ACC tourney game, I knew unfortunately, that Gbinije's time was certainly not going to be this year. As much as Andre struggled down the stretch, Mike not being able to get on the floor was a big signal as to where K and the Staff saw him in his progression.

I do hate that in the end the transfer happened. He is a great kid and stated he loved it at Duke. I wish him well wherever he goes and will certainly pull for him to be successful. Like others before him though, I will always wish he would have chosen to stick it out and fight for minutes at Duke.

Just so everyone doesn't feel alone, espn.com has transfer stories on Kansas, Purdue and Ohio State in addition to ours. None of them were great players who saw much playing time and are looking to go elsewhere to get that playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I agree. I didn't see anything special in Mike G's play last year. Yes, it was a small sample size, but many other players in similar situations are able to show that they are likely going to be very good. I don't know. I'm just not convinced.
    I had tracked 26 Duke games +/- by player starting with the Davidson game. Agree it is a small sample size for Mike and it could be a chicken and egg thing but Mike's +/- came out zero while everyone else was positive. I threw out the high and the low:

~Hi/Lo Duke +/- Sum 26 Min Max

242 Austin Rivers, G 263 -24 45

200 Ryan Kelly, F 213 -17 30

160 Seth Curry, G 175 -14 29

151 Mason Plumlee, F 150 -22 21

122 Andre Dawkins, G 122 -27 27

116 Tyler Thornton, G 147 -04 35

114 Miles Plumlee, F 132 -08 26

100 Quinn Cook, G 105 -13 18

022 Josh Hairston, F 032 -08 18

000 Michael Gbinije, G-F 006 -06 12

My guess is the rumors of Alex being a solid practice player are true, even though he did not show it in China/Dubai nor Blue-White nor did any frosh except Austin with Quinn injured. When Mason came back, that removed any hope Mike had that the superior player Alex would have to play PF as Ryan had to play a Euro style center leaving the WF slot open for the taller Mike to compete with Dre. He lost that battle last year even though coach K has Dre on a very short leash.

Not having Mike hurts Alex's development in practice.