Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lost "Greatest Hits"

Still thinking this one through so my thoughts will be brief... for now

I think we all knew this would be a "set-up" episode to get us to the season finale and it worked nicely in that regard. Still, I really liked the emotional resonance of Charlie on what he thought was his last day on Earth (and I think it still will be). I know a lot of Lost fans are not fans of his character -- they have really put Charlie through the ringer over the years including the nearly disasterous turn to the "dark side" when he was flirting with heroin addiction again and helped kidnap Sun. Still, I found myself tearing up toward the end when he was on the boat with Desmond. I loved the way the flashback worked, showing us the 5 best moments in Charlie's life. I especially enjoyed that they were not huge, Earth-shattering moments, but were sometimes small things like learning to swim or a moment of bravery to help out a stranger. To me, that rang true. It was so honest. I'm gonna miss Charlie a little bit when he is gone (if he is gone).

"Kick-!#%^!" Jack is back and I like it. I am also really enjoying the tension between him and Sayid. The "blow up the camp" idea is pretty good but I am somewhat confused by where the war with the Others goes after this. Does Jack think that blowing up about a dozen of the Others will make the attacks stop or mean that the Others will be even more ruthless? I am not sure this think has been fully thought through. And is Danille going to start living with the Lostaways now? She is certainly taking a side in a fight she has not bothered with until now.

Well, more later... gotta run now.

-Jason "not as action packed as recent episodes, but still quality writing and certainly great acting" Evans

Lost (5/16)

As always, I enjoyed the episode. A couple questions I am pondering this morning:

Are the women in the underwater hatch ("looking glass"?) 'others', or something else? Dharma, perhaps? 'Others' trapped there by the loss of the sub?

Who does not survive next week? The preview had a piece with Ben saying "kill them" with Sayid and friends tied up in the background... I hope Sayid survives, he is one of my favorite characters (& actors).

What is the status of Locke, and will we see him at all next week? I imagine it will be the last few seconds of the finale, perhaps him laying in the mass grave looking dead, then his eyes snap open.

What are your thoughts?
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Whoops!

Started earlier... Got interupted by a phone call... submitted... oh, well...

...Somebody please move me to Jason's thread. Thanks!
    -Son of Jarhead

I'm not the world's biggest Charlie fan and have in the past wanted Desmond to just let fate have its way with him, but last night's episode made me sad to see Charlie go (if he does). I guess the writing, storytelling, and acting is really just that good that they could redeem him in 1 our (or I'm just a pushover).

Not sure what to make of the Looking Glass having people in it. I assume that Desmond didn't tell Charlie the whole truth about his vision, so not sure what he's really up to. Also, when Juliet said it was flooded, not sure if she is lying, or Ben lied to her, either are possible. I still don't trust her, she seems to be using Ben's tactic of "when they catch you in a lie fess up, but not to the whole truth."

Also, question for next week, but since it is based on "scenes from the next" I'll attept to white it out: Looks like Jack leads the group right to Ben - is Jack selling out his whole group as part of a deal with Ben to get off the island, or is there another spy (Juliet, Carl, other?) that Ben has who tells him in advance where they are going? Going to be very interesting, but my bet is Jack sells them out, and the cliffhanger is whether Jack is a good guy or not.

I haven't decided whether I like mini-spoilers, leaks, and fantasied possibilities, but...

the tipoffs have led me to be skeptical that Charlie is going to die next week--seems too obvious for a show that likes to surprise.

"Rattlesnake in the mailbox" implies a (potential) killer at home. Maybe Locke is that person, but he has some other fish to fry at the moment, and he couldn't even kill his father. Sawyer is a nondevious con man, and Jack is planning to kill a bunch of them. Hurley did have his con of Sawyer, and he did set off a flare that presumably attracted Mikhail, and he did mention the phone to Mikhail, and he too was caught by the Others and so could have been turned, but he just seems too obtuse to be a pivot in the show. Both Sun and Jin can keep secrets, and Sun would be particularly likely to do something strange to protect her pregnancy, but those are extreme longshots. But... Who doesn't want to get rescued? Who had a little quiet time with Ben that has yet to be revealed? Who among the Losties is the only pre-island killer who does not regret his/her actions? When the marshall told Jack not to trust someone, who was it? When s/he heard about the phone, who turned immediately to the people who everyone presumed were in the employ of the Others? Who seems to have decided to get pregnant since returning from the Others? I think s/he's the rattlesnake.

The advanced cell phone could reflect a well-funded trip, but why make a big deal of it unless it's a tip off that time doesn't advance on the island--that would explain why there might be some still-alive pirates on the island, and it might also explain why it has taken us several years to get through 6 weeks of the show. If I were sending a commando raid to an island, I'm not sure I would necessarily pick a hot multi-lingual chick who was reading catch 22 --and why haven't they tried to rescue her as yet -- but myabe they need a hot replacement for the snake...

I agree about Charlie's top 5 Very sweet. Did Charlie save the woman who Sayid tortured? I didn't really recognize her, but surely they wouldnt' put in a random ME woman when they could make it an incredible coincidence.

I'm hoping that Sayid doesn't get killed--nobody does torture like he does torture.

The underwater station looked pretty cool. If they are dharma, they might have survived since they had their own air supply. But if they know that their dharma buddies are dead, who would still be dropping off the candy bars? Though maybe they too are stuck doing some trivial task over and over and don't have direct contact with anything outside the bubble. And from a distanec, they also look hot.

Overall, 815 and the island boast a high ratio of beauty:beasts. Almost makes me think it's not real.

My brain hurts.

I'm almost positive, based on nothing but watching the show and conversing with fellow LOST fans, that the snake in the mailbox is that people - I don't know who or how many - are going to be rescued next week. LOST is going to change from a show about stranded Losties to a show about a strange island that's hard to find, and some people who used to be deserted on it. This will likely turn off a small number of viewers, but I think it will open up a bunch of interesting story lines.

[QUOTE=BuschDevil;21360]
    Are the women in the underwater hatch ("looking glass"?) 'others', or something else? Dharma, perhaps? 'Others' trapped there by the loss of the sub?
    QUOTE]

My first thought was that one of them was Annie (young Ben's girlfriend). The ages don't exactly fit, but as we have seen, that doesn't always matter on this island. That could change Ben's attitude if he finds out she is alive.

I actually started to like Charlie this episode, then started to dislike him again when it looked like Desmond was going to take his place. I am firmly back in the liking him camp after he manned up and hit Desmond with the oar.

Jack is back as Jason said. Although it is clear he doesn't have a long term plan for what to do after he blows up some others.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I agree about Charlie's top 5 Very sweet. Did Charlie save the woman who Sayid tortured? I didn't really recognize her, but surely they wouldnt' put in a random ME woman when they could make it an incredible coincidence.
    Yes, the woman Charlie saved was Sayid's girl. I thought the purse scene was a little contrived. I mean, three people walk by and watch a guy try to steal someone's purse? The assailant did not seem to be trying very hard for the purse either (even with all these people walking by)... I am probably looking too much into it but it's Lost's fault for making their show so complex

Can't wait for next week!

Jason, or others:

Any insight into the show tonight (Thursday) with the producers? Anything new?

Could the assailant have been someone of import as well?
    -Son of Jarhead

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Jason, or others:

Any insight into the show tonight (Thursday) with the producers? Anything new?
    It is my understanding that it will have some new insight-- not a ton-- but will mostly be catchup for folks who missed stuff. I plan to TIVO it and check it out when I have a chance this weekend. I suspect there will be a nugget or two worth chewing upon and thinking about. Ther real thing to watch for will be what stuff they choose to highlight from the past. They may pick some event/scenes that seemed innocent enough at the time but will turn out to be a big deal.

Like when the power cable suddenly became a crucial element last night. The thing first came up in season one and now we suddenly find out it leads to someplace really important!! How cool is that?!

-Jason "Lost is so well planned... stunning" Evans

Intersting image

I was looking through some screencaps of last night's show and saw this:

The Looking Glass hatch has a place where a sub can dock. Hmmmm.

I am betting that people are somehow brought to the island "through the looking glass" and then put on the sub so they will not realize the strange way they were brought to the island.

-Jason "we probably won't find this out for a while-- so remember where you heard it first " Evans

By the way, that image of the Looking Glass comes from Sayid's plans/schematic for the hatch. It was not made up by someone. That is part of a real image from the show.

-Jason

That theory makes sense when you consider "the looking glass" is an Alice in Wonderland reference and she is transported through "the looking glass" to another world... Also, check out the sign for the looking glass... follow the white rabbit!

Quick notes from Thursday's update show

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is my understanding that it will have some new insight-- not a ton-- but will mostly be catchup for folks who missed stuff. I plan to TIVO it and check it out when I have a chance this weekend. I suspect there will be a nugget or two worth chewing upon and thinking about. Ther real thing to watch for will be what stuff they choose to highlight from the past. They may pick some event/scenes that seemed innocent enough at the time but will turn out to be a big deal.

Like when the power cable suddenly became a crucial element last night. The thing first came up in season one and now we suddenly find out it leads to someplace really important!! How cool is that?!

-Jason "Lost is so well planned... stunning" Evans
    I took these notes while watching the Thursday update show:
    Thoughts from the lost specialon Thursday:

Date of the crash was the same on both the island and on 815 – debunking time theories?

The others don't want to be found? Directors said so.

The smoke monster manifests the visions – dead Jack dad, Walt, Kate's horse (Mr Eko's brother??)

Outside world – “snow someplace?”

Polar bears are real and wandering free

crossing paths – linkage of characters...is it for a reason? (It better be!)

Magic box is a metaphor – the whole island is a magic box

Two likely significant quotes:
    “that's never going to happen – if they get off the island, the show would end”

“they [the losties} are alive, somewhere in the space-time continuum”

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    I'm almost positive, based on nothing but watching the show and conversing with fellow LOST fans, that the snake in the mailbox is that people - I don't know who or how many - are going to be rescued next week. LOST is going to change from a show about stranded Losties to a show about a strange island that's hard to find, and some people who used to be deserted on it. This will likely turn off a small number of viewers, but I think it will open up a bunch of interesting story lines.
    Lost- the AfterMASH?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    I took these notes while watching the Thursday update show:
    Thoughts from the lost special on Thursday:

Date of the crash was the same on both the island and on 815 – debunking time theories?

The others don't want to be found? Directors said so.

The smoke monster manifests the visions – dead Jack dad, Walt, Kate's horse (Mr Eko's brother??)

Outside world – “snow someplace?”

Polar bears are real and wandering free

crossing paths – linkage of characters...is it for a reason? (It better be!)

Magic box is a metaphor – the whole island is a magic box

Two likely significant quotes:
    “that's never going to happen – if they get off the island, the show would end”

“they [the losties} are alive, somewhere in the space-time continuum”

Exiled
    Can you elaborate a bit more. My TIVO had a hizzy fit because Grey's went long and ER was going at the same time or something like that. In any event, I somehow missed the special and I am not happy!!

Specifically, what did they say about the Smoke monster, the outside world, and the Others not wanting to leave. Was there more detail than what you already gave?

-Jason "I need my Lost fix!!!" Evans

Regarding the Looking Glass image

Um, is it just me, or does it not seem likely that Charlie could dive down 70m with a couple of rocks and one breath?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Can you elaborate a bit more. My TIVO had a hizzy fit because Grey's went long and ER was going at the same time or something like that. In any event, I somehow missed the special and I am not happy!!

Specifically, what did they say about the Smoke monster, the outside world, and the Others not wanting to leave. Was there more detail than what you already gave?

-Jason "I need my Lost fix!!!" Evans
    Fear not...it looks like the very same thing is running next week before the 2 hour season finale. It's 15 minutes longer, but my guide reads identically so all is not (wait for it...) Lost!

Quote Originally Posted by dukeblueyes View Post
    Um, is it just me, or does it not seem likely that Charlie could dive down 70m with a couple of rocks and one breath?
    I thought the same thing. The show has such great attention to detail, I am surprised they goofed on this one. I am fairly sure that without proper training, it is virtually impossible for someone to dive to more than about 30 meters without proper training.

-Jason "maybe depths are different on the island, the same way time is different " Evans