Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Opens (U.S. and British) 2017

The U.S. Open starts today at Erin Hills in Wisconsin. The British Open (a/k/a "The Open Championship," depending on where one resides) begins July 20th at Royal Birkdale. I figured we could discuss them both here.

As for this weekend, the story up until now is Phil Mickelson's now-fully-official decision to withdraw from the tournament to attend his daughter's high school graduation. He held out some hope that a lengthy weather delay might make it possible for him to make his afternoon tee time following the commencement exercises. Alas, Mother Nature had other ideas, with no rain in sight.

Coming into this weekend, we have had a string of first-time winners in the major championships lately; since Jordan Spieth won the 2015 US Open to take his second major, the rest of the winners have been first-timers. That probably bodes well for a guy like Rickie Fowler, who is already -6 through 14 holes today. That said, I predict those who have complained loudly about the length of the fescue at Erin Hills will fare poorly (I'm looking at you, Kevin Na and Lee Westwood).

And let's hope the Fox broadcast team has improved greatly . . . . .
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I'm looking forward this this, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Fox team to do a good job.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Fowler with a bogey-free 65 (-7), two shots ahead of everyone else at present. Lots of golfers still out on the course, though, including some at -3 making the turn.

If somebody would've told you that Jason Day and Rory McIlroy would be 12 over combined with one hole remaining on the first day of the US Open you would've told then they were crazy.

OK, so they salvage 11 over with a birdie putt on the last hole for Day.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    If somebody would've told you that Jason Day and Rory McIlroy would be 12 over combined with one hole remaining on the first day of the US Open you would've told then they were crazy.
    If somebody would've told you that a blimp would crash before noon on the first day you would've told then they were crazy.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    If somebody would've told you that a blimp would crash before noon on the first day you would've told then they were crazy.
    That's not a terrible comment, but it is a dirigible one ....

Quote Originally Posted by tripping william View Post
    that's not a terrible comment, but it is a dirigible one ...
    thumbs up if you read this in barkley's voice!!

7845 yards ...
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    7845 yards ...
    Yep. But wide fairways, made more receptive by the recent rains, made for an impressively low-scoring first round. The greens were also softened by the rains, which helps scoring, as well.

I'm sure the USGA will make every attempt to get the course as parched as possible by Sunday.

Near the end of last evening's broadcast, they showed a guy from the Duke men's team playing his last hole (the 9th, a short-ish par 3). Sorry I can't remember his name. Anyway, he was +2 after 17 holes, and his tee shot at number 9 ended up about 3 feet from the cup, so he probably finished +1. That's very impressive for an amateur playing at his first US Open. He did Duke proud!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Yep. But wide fairways, made more receptive by the recent rains, made for an impressively low-scoring first round. The greens were also softened by the rains, which helps scoring, as well.

I'm sure the USGA will make every attempt to get the course as parched as possible by Sunday.
    I think the USGA will have a conniption if the winning score is double-digits under par. Looks like -4 is the best round-in-progress so far today (by Bill Haas, who still has the 18th to play). Lots of players haven't even teed off yet, though.

Among other drama, we will have a new US Open champ, as Dustin Johnson will miss the cut. Four players at -7. Moving Day should be fascinating.

Near the end of last evening's broadcast, they showed a guy from the Duke men's team playing his last hole (the 9th, a short-ish par 3). Sorry I can't remember his name. Anyway, he was +2 after 17 holes, and his tee shot at number 9 ended up about 3 feet from the cup, so he probably finished +1. That's very impressive for an amateur playing at his first US Open. He did Duke proud!
    That would be Alex Smalley. He was in solid position after birdying 16 on Friday, but he bogeyed the last holes to miss the cut at +3. Max Greyserman was moving in the right direction, but fell back to also miss the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    That would be Alex Smalley. He was in solid position after birdying 16 on Friday, but he bogeyed the last holes to miss the cut at +3. Max Greyserman was moving in the right direction, but fell back to also miss the cut.
    Thanks. Yep, that was the gentleman I was taking about. He did himself and the University proud.

Today, Justin Thomas just went off! Bested Johnny Miller for the best round in US Open history!

You are correct that Fox sucks at golf. The last comment that was made was the leaders would "choke for money or prestige." Really? What a crappy comment. And the commentator said it more than once.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    You are correct that Fox sucks at golf. The last comment that was made was the leaders would "choke for money or prestige." Really? What a crappy comment. And the commentator said it more than once.
    I noticed a segment when, as a player approached the first tee (can't remember who), Joe Buck announced that the golfer had never won a PGA tournament, but has been in two playoffs, right when the graphic under the golfer's name read "Won two PGA tournaments." Typical Fox coverage.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

What an incredible day of golf, setting up what ought to be a fantastic finish tomorrow. And unless Oostie or Sergio get super-hot (they are both at -4, in 17th place, 8 shots back), we'll have another first-time major winner by this time tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it. This one is wide open right now. Lots of capable players near the top of the leaderboard, but you never know how they will respond to Sunday US Open pressure until Sunday arrives.

Agreed, It's been fun to watch the amazing ball striking.
    Incredible display of talent.
    Looking forward to see how it plays out, kinda pulling for Ricky.

My favorite non golf shot moment was after Tommy Fleetwood goes on a run
    then stripes a tee shot, Brooks Koepka walks onto the tee singing
    "Don't Stop thinking about tomorrow"

Great Stuff
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Looks like the wind is up this afternoon, and may finally play some role. Should be great theater for the next 4 hours.