Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Who to blame, Marshall or Barnes?

As much as UNC missed Marshall, I think Barnes is more to blame for the loss. If he hits a decent percentage of his shots they would have not gone to OT against Ohio and probably would have beaten Kansas. I know Marshall gets Barnes easier looks but come on. White and Watts filled in pretty good and combined for about Marshall's average. I realize that neither are nearly the playmaker that Marshall is, but you would think the 2 time pre-season All-American and team's leading scorer could manage to hit a few shots without Marshall holding him by the hand.

Dan Patrick's take on Barnes (on his radio show today)

Dan Patrick's comment on Barnes was that he played "politely" this weekend. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Hearing that made me wonder if Barnes was worried about injury, and especially about his draft stock.

Quote Originally Posted by 78Devil View Post
    Like everyone else, I went to bed in a much better frame of mind last night. But I woke up this morning feeling guilty.

WHY would I root against UNC so passionately when they are playing teams who are not ACC, and who for the most part don't share the academic standards Duke and UNC hold? In the old days, I used to root FOR Duke (of course still do), and against UNC -- but only until we were out if contention. Then, I would root for any ACC team -- UNC included.

That changed somehow with Ole Roy. I don't know if its because he won 2 NCs (at least one of which he pretty much inherited) or if its something about the old hang dog demeanor. It can't just be because he is at UNC, since I felt the same way about him when we used to play him in Kansas, and I never actually hated Dean Smith.

I do think, however, that I am highly influenced by my desire for no other current coach to have accomplishments approaching Coach K. 'Cause I was pretty happy when Florida lost as well. Had Roy gotten his third NC within a decade (less!), that would have been a pretty amazing feat and would have taken some of the patina off of our HOF coach's accomplishments.

Pretty selfish and immature -- but I can't help it!
    What academic standards are you referring to? University-wide or the programs themselves? Something else?

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Dan Patrick's comment on Barnes was that he played "politely" this weekend. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Hearing that made me wonder if Barnes was worried about injury, and especially about his draft stock.
    I don't think it was about injury...I think that is just Barnes personality as a player. I think he plays too mechanically, too much thinking on the court. He looks like he takes shots when he thinks he needs to take shots, or he tries to take over a game when he is expected to...some people call it "soft" but the fire to take it to his opponent isn't there, to dominate the game and enforce his will. This attitude is much more apparent in Zeller, who is always going at you when he is on the court. Think if you put someone like Austin's motor and will into Barnes' body. That would be a special player.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    I don't think it was about injury...I think that is just Barnes personality as a player. I think he plays too mechanically, too much thinking on the court. He looks like he takes shots when he thinks he needs to take shots, or he tries to take over a game when he is expected to...some people call it "soft" but the fire to take it to his opponent isn't there, to dominate the game and enforce his will. This attitude is much more apparent in Zeller, who is always going at you when he is on the court. Think if you put someone like Austin's motor and will into Barnes' body. That would be a special player.
    Last year the black pigeon earned a reputation as a "clutch" player. He hit several big shots throughout the course of the season. However, I certainly agree that he doesn't have that killer instinct to enforce his will on an entire game. If he was truly an elite player (as his national reputation suggests) his superiority would be evident throughout the course of a game, and a season.

Yesterday could have been HIS MOMENT, instead, it was a prime example of the major deficiencies in his game. And while this may be wishful thinking as a Duke fan, if I were him, imagine what another subpar season could do to his NBA stock, and how much money he could lose if he was to return and play poorly or be injured. Kid needs to take his money and run, get an agent and out of CH.

For me, the single most important physical skill, especially for perimeter players, is handle. Barnes spent last summer working on it, with still-limited success.

The single most important mental/psychological attribute, again, for me, is relentlessness. These 2 posts...

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    I don't think it was about injury...I think that is just Barnes personality as a player. I think he plays too mechanically, too much thinking on the court. He looks like he takes shots when he thinks he needs to take shots, or he tries to take over a game when he is expected to...some people call it "soft" but the fire to take it to his opponent isn't there, to dominate the game and enforce his will.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    Regarding Barnes, the word that comes to mind in watching him play is robotic. Watching him force moves on offense, he looks like a guy who has spent a lot more time doing drills than playing the game.

I do think this problem is fixable, and I wouldn't be surprised if he overcomes it given his solid work ethic. If I were him I would forget the drills for the summer and focus solely on playing in games against good competition, preferably NBA players if he can find the run.
    ... reflect what I see as Barnes's other very basic flaw. He isn't relentless, by a long shot.

The obvious contrast is with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, whose handle and motor are much superior.

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post
    For me, the single most important physical skill, especially for perimeter players, is handle. Barnes spent last summer working on it, with still-limited success.

The single most important mental/psychological attribute, again, for me, is relentlessness. ...Barnes's other very basic flaw. He isn't relentless, by a long shot.

The obvious contrast is with Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, whose handle and motor are much superior.
    Another comparison that struck me was Barnes vs Grant Hill at a similar stage of their college career.
    Both were advertised as versatile, talented small forwards and were approximately the same size.

What happened when Grant Hill's team lost it's point guard to injury for a key stretch?

Duke 77 Louisiana State 67

Grant stepped into the primary ball handling role and responded with a clutch performance against a very tough opponent (Shaq in the middle) on the road.
    His stat line included
    40 minutes
    16 points on 6-9 FG shooting
    9 rebounds
    6 assists
    3 turnovers

And he was likable.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    And he was likable.
    Yes, yes Grant was. If Barnes leaves, I doubt UNC fans will focus on much other than his failure to live up to the hype.

And in Comparison...

Quote Originally Posted by gumbomoop View Post

The single most important mental/psychological attribute, again, for me, is relentlessness. These 2 posts...

... reflect what I see as Barnes's other very basic flaw. He isn't relentless, by a long shot.

Not to mention Kyle, Battier, Kobe, Grant Hill (mentioned above). Ya know, HB could be a bit "soft." -- sagegrouse

"soft?". No way. He's the "Black Falcon!".