Thread: Lost

Lost

Most. Worthless. Episode. Ever.

Agreed. That must have been a filler.

Just finished on DVR.

Umm...do we call this character development?
    Lost has a challenge with the balance of plot and character development. We all seem to value the latter, but Lost really seems to fall short on the former this season. It has become bogged down in questions unanswered such that the character development episodes just seem painfully slow and useless.

I did like seeing the hill of much movie goodness - I am pretty sure that is a hill in Kauai where scenes from Raiders, Jurassic Park and others have been filmed.

Exiled

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Just finished on DVR.

Umm...do we call this character development?
    Lost has a challenge with the balance of plot and character development. We all seem to value the latter, but Lost really seems to fall short on the former this season. It has become bogged down in questions unanswered such that the character development episodes just seem painfully slow and useless.

I did like seeing the hill of much movie goodness - I am pretty sure that is a hill in Kauai where scenes from Raiders, Jurassic Park and others have been filmed.

Exiled
    Thing is, you can't really call it character development when it's just a re-hash of everything we already know about a character. We already knew Hurley feels like he's cursed, we already knew that he wasn't really thrilled about winning the lottery because he felt it would do more harm than good and we already knew he had issues with his father.

Soooooooo, the writers/producers felt like it would be worthwhile to spend an hour re-hashing all these details and not advancing any of the main plot? I'm all for a good Hurley episode, but not when it comes at the expense of the show overall.

I think it was a dumb move and will fuel more "nail in the coffin" talk.

5. I loved it. Hurley's episodes are always lighter in tone and don't involve as much island mythology, but I've always enjoyed them. This one I found fun all the way through (as opposed to last week, when I found Jack's flashbacks almost unbearable).

Thumbs down Questions

1) Why was Rousseau shooting at them at the end? She knows Locke, Kate, and especially Sayid pretty well by now.

2) Was the episode's big "reveal" really that Alex is Rousseau's daughter? Havn't we known that for -- uhhh -- like the past 15 episodes or so?

3) What was Kate talking about when she was saying that Sawyer just had to say he was sorry. Sorry for what? I am very confused. Boy, has their relationship ever cooled. They need to get back in cages to turn the heat back up.

4) If beer sits out in the sun for more than a few years, is it still safe to drink?

5) So, the gasoline in the car had not evaporated and the battery still had juice. Yeah, that's plausible.

I bet you $5 that at some point we have a flashback where we meet someone named "Roger Workman."

-Jason "just declare that the show is going to last 4 seasons and get on with the plot-- PLEASE!!!" Evans

I'm a sucker for Lost. I loved the episode last night. If it had been placed after a more satisfying episode, plot wise, as opposed to last week's stinker, I think people would have like it more.

I had a big grin on my face when they got that car to work (never mind the miraculous change in speed as it was almost to the rocks). And I think this episode put to bed Hurley's curse as well. All in all, I enjoyed watching it.

Looks like next week may move the plot along -- thank god -- ****SPOILER, MAYBE **********

The eye patch guy is back.

Read elsewhere that their promo department is learning a lesson about misleading the audience as much as they have been. We'll see if it takes.

I enjoyed the episode. I don't need every episode of Lost to answer questions, propose new questions, move forward greatly. Of course the show needs all of that in general but last night's episode was just kinda fun. Hurley is just cool....Dude. How many new nicknames did Sawyer kick out after a few stale beers?

I liked it

I just watched the episode after reading all of the above posts, so my expectations were very low. But I liked the episode. I hope this is a turning point for Hurley, excuse me, Hugo. I can buy that the gas hadn't evaporated from a sealed tank, as long as it hadn't all leaked out through a hole in the fuel system, which it hadn't obviously. As for the battery, it was dead, which is why Hurley had to pop the clutch to start it. Good thing it had a manual transmission. Of course, I don't buy that it would recharge after being dead for so long.

The big reveal wasn't to us, but to Rousseau, that her daughter Alex is alive and well, and living on the island. Next week should be good. It had better be.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thumbs down

I love this show, but put me in the thumbs down camp on this episode - basically a waste of an hour. Not only did the character development and plot not offer anything new, but I thought the overally quality of the episode was way below Lost standards - overly dramatic music and shots, really bad/cheesy dialogue (the Sawyer-Jin scenes were painful, as were the Hurley-Charlie scenes), and some of the worst acting we've scene to date. Don't get me started on the whole "pull the body out of the car before we turn it over just so the head can fall off for a cheap laugh", or "Hurley better start that engine because there is no way he could simply turn the wheel if the car wasn't running" nonsense. I'm also going to pretend the repeated, in-your-face, mom and dad sex refefences never even happened. It was almost like the producers were saying "if you think the ratings are bad now, look how bad this show could be if we tried!"

The only thing that really kept my interest was that I hoped Charlie might buy the farm somehow at the end. That might have made the other 59 minutes worth the effort, but alas, we'll have to wait for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    3) What was Kate talking about when she was saying that Sawyer just had to say he was sorry. Sorry for what? I am very confused. Boy, has their relationship ever cooled. They need to get back in cages to turn the heat back up.
    I asked my wife that question. Her response was: "Because of what he said!"

I decided against pursuing that line of questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    5) So, the gasoline in the car had not evaporated and the battery still had juice. Yeah, that's plausible.
    The gasoline I don't know about. But the batter didn't have juice... that's why they had to pop the clutch.

12. Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    I asked my wife that question. Her response was: "Because of what he said!"
    Talk about your gender issues. I had no clue. I was all "what the hell does he have to apologize for?"

My wife explained, "because he said she only had sex with him because he was about to die."

Me: "Oh yeah."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiablo View Post
    Talk about your gender issues. I had no clue. I was all "what the hell does he have to apologize for?"

My wife explained, "because he said she only had sex with him because he was about to die."

Wait, wasn't he right?

14. Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Wait, wasn't he right?
    Um...do you even know any women?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiablo View Post

Heh. I'm glad I'm not alone!

Just checking in after watching tonight episode and I have to admit I liked the Hurley episode. The get the VW running and drink the old beer was a bit far fetched but I thought giving Hurley the chance to turn the corner on his life was good. I also liked when the meteor hit the chicken place. I did think the previous weeks Jack flashback scenes were a bit painful. Like they are going to kick him off the beach because he got a special tatoo...yeah right.