Thread: Ymm fishing

Ymm fishing

After seeing on the profession thread all the fisher persons out there, its time to take a count and see if anyone wants to share their adventures. Yesterday I had an unsuccessful steelhead trip on the banks of an Ohio river leading into Lake Erie--I'll try again next week. My last trip was into Michigan to a river leading into Lake Michigan--more success that time. The weather was cold each time, but it is worth it to get outside and chase fish. Retirement is heck.(for DD, we stopped afterwards, ate lunch and drank beer) Bring on the fishing tourney!

Yuck... fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    After seeing on the profession thread all the fisher persons out there, its time to take a count and see if anyone wants to share their adventures.
    When I was a kid, my next door neighbor Rob was my best friend and co-conspirator in many adventures. We lived in Great Neck, NY, aka West Egg in The Great Gatsby, which is on the north shore on the "midwest end" of Long Island, the "first bump" on the north shore not in Queens County, NYC. Anyway, Rob's dad loved to go pier fishing out at Montauk Point, waaaaaaaaay out on the eastern end of LI, 80 to 100 miles from Great Neck. When Rob was old enough, he went with him. Rob had gone several times, telling me how great it was, how many fish they caught, etc. and finally talked me into going with them which meant getting up at 0:dark-thirty for the two hour drive out to Montauk (see, there was a point in telling you where Great Neck is). And Rob's dad was one of the great story tellers of all time, so on the drive out these 10 year old boys were hearing their first slightly dirty jokes and we were in stitches, (ROFLMAO) laughing the entire way out . We finally got to the pier where we would fish, and they taught me how to bait my hook, etc. We all dropped our line in the water and it wasn't long before Rob and his dad pulled out whatever fish was there, most of them 6 to 8 inches long going into the bucket and the smaller ones were thrown back. They pulled out dozens in about three hours and the bucket was almost full. Me? I caught one minnow, and no, we didn't keep it. Now they laughed at me all the way home.

This was repeated one more time, with similar results. I started playing golf shortly thereafter.
    Last edited by OZZIE4DUKE; 02-17-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Added title
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    After seeing on the profession thread all the fisher persons out there, its time to take a count and see if anyone wants to share their adventures. ...
    I'll dig some up from the archives! Growing up and living in the country, to sneak away with my dog and discover all the great fishing spots and adventures was always a treat! Picking up the plywood to get crickets, worms, etc... was always exciting... setup the bike and off we'd go for hours of adventures!

My dad is from Whiteville, NC so I've still got family down there and we used to go and spend the summers "they seemed to last forever then, loved it" down at Holdens Beach (when nothing was there), Ocean Isle, etc... doing alot of surf and pier fishing, digging for clams, picking oysters, etc... I absolutely loved those times. I used to sit out on the pier catching spot, whiting, blues, etc... all night filling up my 5 gallon bucket to make my dad soo proud when he came the next morning to check on me! It was quite an experience to see his face when he would come out and see a huge 5 gallon bucket filled with fish! Fish Fry time! Although I'd get tired sitting out there all night, nothing like pulling up a horshoe crab (eek) in the middle of the night on a dimmly lit pier to wake one up!!!! :-) WTH is that, looks like one of those star trek thingee's from the depths of the ocean!!! I swim out there...

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    ...When I was a kid, ... Me? I caught one minnow, ...

This was repeated one more time, with similar results. I started playing golf shortly thereafter.
    Ozzie - way too funny!!!!! I love it! Practice my friend, they get bigger!!!!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I head to Fort Macon and surf fish when it's not too crowded, go out on boats with friends. When I do fish, I fish hard. No sense in coming back empty handed. In fact when we moved to the beach, it was a matter of necessity to fish. It was cheaper than buying food, which is good when you're broke. Occasionally, I'll make a day trip to Ocracoke and surf fish there. For those who fish just to drink, you'll appreciate this photo I took at the Ocracoke waterfront bar.

youfish.jpg
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Smile Did anyone see...

... a wonderful piece this Sunday on ESPN's Outside the Lines? They talked about fly fishing as therapy for US veterans coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan. The segment dealt with something called "Project Healing Waters." Simply a wonderful piece.

I don't fish, but I would love to learn how to fly fish.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

I just started fly fishing this past year. My first outing was in the Rockies in Colorado. Caught (and released) some fine trout. I now fly fish for relaxation in the small rivers around here. Plenty of smallmouth bass. My wife will often take a book, sit on the bank, read and watch for eagles. We both relax--a good way to spend a few hours. Also a good way to spend a few dollars if you are not careful--fly fishing offers so much neat stuff to purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    ... a wonderful piece this Sunday on ESPN's Outside the Lines? They talked about fly fishing as therapy for US veterans coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan. The segment dealt with something called "Project Healing Waters." Simply a wonderful piece.

I don't fish, but I would love to learn how to fly fish.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    The toughest parts are learning the knots, and matching the hatch. The actual fishing part is easy and fun but can also be considered a lot of work.

I caretake an old homeplace in Virginia of a family friend living in Ohio. It has access to a beautiful lake with seemingly every species of fresh-water fish. I spend most of my time there mowing grass but when I can find time I love Bass fishing. I have had occasions where hooked fish were strong enough to turn and tow the boat. (I fish, therefore I lie) No, seriously, this has happened.

The best I ever did was so long ago I can't remember the year but I do remember it was an Easter Monday. A relative and I launched the boat at 8:30am and came out at 10:00am with 13 largemouth caught, 12 weighing in between 5 and 9 pounds each. One fish weighed only 2lbs.

The knots are tough at first, but become easier with time. I now use some of the fly fishing knots in my "other " fishing. They can be hard to tie when your hands are cold and cramped. I practiced at home with twine and thicker thread until I got the basics down, that made the line to leader/taper ties easier.