Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 NABC All-American teams

http://www.nabc.org/NABC_Releases/re...merica_release

2012 NABC COACHES’ DIVISION I ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM

Anthony Davis, Kentucky, 6-10, 220, Freshman, Forward, Chicago, Ill.

Draymond Green, Michigan State, 6-7, 230, Senior, Forward, Saginaw, Mich.

Doug McDermott, Creighton, 6-7, 220, Sophomore, Forward, Ames, Iowa

Thomas Robinson, Kansas, 6-10, 237, Junior, Forward, Washington, D.C.

Jared Sullinger, Ohio State, 6-9, 280, Sophomore, Forward, Columbus, Ohio

2012 NABC COACHES’ DIVISION I ALL-AMERICA SECOND TEAM

Harrison Barnes, North Carolina, 6-8, 215, Sophomore, Forward, Ames, Iowa

Marcus Denmon, Missouri, 6-3, 185, Senior, Guard, Kansas City, Mo.

Kevin Jones, West Virginia, 6-8, 260, Senior, Forward, Mount Vernon, N.Y.

Kris Joseph, Syracuse, 6-7, 210, Senior, Forward, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Tyler Zeller, North Carolina, 7-0, 250, Senior, Forward, Washington, Ind.

2012 NABC COACHES’ DIVISION I ALL-AMERICA THIRD TEAM

Isaiah Canaan, Murray State, 6-0, 193, Junior, Guard, Biloxi, Miss.

Jae Crowder, Marquette, 6-6, 235, Senior, Forward, Villa Rica, Ga.

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Kentucky, 6-7, 232, Freshman, Forward, Somerdale, N.J.

Damian Lillard, Weber State, 6-3, 195, Junior, Guard, Oakland Calif.

Austin Rivers, Duke, 6-4, 204, Freshman, Guard, Winter Park, Fla.

No guards on the 1st team! They would get crushed by a press.

Barnes on the 2nd team over Henson. That's just plain wrong. Henson was better at defense than Barnes at offense, and still almost scored as much as Barnes.

Austin makes the 3rd team. I'd like to see the vote breakdown, but it wasnt on the release.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    No guards on the 1st team! They would get crushed by a press.

Barnes on the 2nd team over Henson. That's just plain wrong. Henson was better at defense than Barnes at offense, and still almost scored as much as Barnes.

Austin makes the 3rd team. I'd like to see the vote breakdown, but it wasnt on the release.
    I find it very interesting that Barnes makes 1st team All-ACC by just a few votes. Yet he is 2nd team All-America. Something about national rep (NABC) vs people who actually watch him play games (ACC media).
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    I find it very interesting that Barnes makes 1st team All-ACC by just a few votes. Yet he is 2nd team All-America. Something about national rep (NABC) vs people who actually watch him play games (ACC media).
    I really like Henson's game and I think he's THAT good defensively. He should have been somewhere on this list, maybe 3rd team. I am not sure where I'd put Barnes, but two steps behind Henson for sure.

To be honest, I think Austin made 3rd team on reputation too. He was really good for us, but inconsistent enough that I do not think he deserved to be an All-American.

Clearly the NABC didn't follow UNC basketball very closely. I'd have had Barnes 4th on the list of UNC players, and certainly not an All-American of any sort.

The silver lining is that this sort of honor may be enough to help Barnes (who apparently called a beat writer to ask what his chances were to be an All-American last year) decide to go pro.

Also, Rivers had no business being on the list, either.

Over the past two years I've taken a lot of grief over my support of TBP. The kid can play, but recently I'm starting to question just how objective some people are when viewing his game.

I'm sorry, but Marshall is clearly the straw that stirs the drink at UNC and he clearly should have been 1st Team All-ACC ahead of Barnes.

I also think it's a farce that TBP is again ahead of Marshall who doesn't even make this newest team.

I'm also asking myself exactly why is TBP still considered a top 5 draft choice? Yes, he's a solid player, but top 5.

To be honest, I think Austin made 3rd team on reputation too. He was really good for us, but inconsistent enough that I do not think he deserved to be an All-American.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Clearly the NABC didn't follow UNC basketball very closely. I'd have had Barnes 4th on the list of UNC players, and certainly not an All-American of any sort.

The silver lining is that this sort of honor may be enough to help Barnes (who apparently called a beat writer to ask what his chances were to be an All-American last year) decide to go pro.

Also, Rivers had no business being on the list, either.
    Agree that Rivers made 3rd team because of repuatation the same way that Barnes made 2nd team. Austin was very good for us this season but I don't think he was one of the 15 best players in the country.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

The fact that Mike Scott didn't make the list but Harrison Barnes and Rivers did indicates that the NABC paid little attention to players' actual performances.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The fact that Mike Scott didn't make the list but Harrison Barnes and Rivers did indicates that the NABC paid little attention to players' actual performances.
    Yup. It almost makes you wonder if they even bothered to look up their stat lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Jderf View Post
    Yup. It almost makes you wonder if they even bothered to look up their stat lines.
    Well, it's the National Associatioon of Basketball Coaches. So they probably didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Over the past two years I've taken a lot of grief over my support of TBP. The kid can play, but recently I'm starting to question just how objective some people are when viewing his game.

I'm sorry, but Marshall is clearly the straw that stirs the drink at UNC and he clearly should have been 1st Team All-ACC ahead of Barnes.

I also think it's a farce that TBP is again ahead of Marshall who doesn't even make this newest team.

I'm also asking myself exactly why is TBP still considered a top 5 draft choice? Yes, he's a solid player, but top 5.
    Barnes is a really good jump shooter who can get his shot off because of his quickness and size. He'll be a solid, but not an All-star, small forward for years in the NBA. Think Glen Rice (senior...) or Sean Elliot.

The disappointing thing about Barnes - I'm projecting what scouts must be thinking right now - is that Barnes has the size, athleticism and work ethic to be truly great. He just does not seem to have the competitive nature to want to destroy opponents every night. If he did, his defense would be better, he'd make fewer dumb mistakes and he'd get every loose ball. He never really seems to play like a man possessed, but he still somehow manages to have a hero complex where he really really loves chucking up 3s in the final minute. He hit a few last year, but none I can recall this year.

If Barnes were truly great, he'd never let his team lose by 33.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Marshall is fabulous. But would you put him on 1st Team All-ACC ahead of Austin Rivers? (I would, every day of the week!)

Marshall reminds me of the guards that Duke once had on its roster.

Hey super-est-dave, SSHHHhhhh. Let the young man go on to fulfill his NBA dreams! We don't want him hiding his light, now, do we?!

lives near a number of big white buildings
    It could be possible that Barnes gets even less national recognition if he stays around another year. He should take that into account.

Barnes is a really good jump shooter who can get his shot off because of his quickness and size. He'll be a solid, but not an All-star, small forward for years in the NBA. Think Glen Rice (senior...) or Sean Elliot.

The disappointing thing about Barnes - I'm projecting what scouts must be thinking right now - is that Barnes has the size, athleticism and work ethic to be truly great. He just does not seem to have the competitive nature to want to destroy opponents every night. If he did, his defense would be better, he'd make fewer dumb mistakes and he'd get every loose ball. He never really seems to play like a man possessed, but he still somehow manages to have a hero complex where he really really loves chucking up 3s in the final minute. He hit a few last year, but none I can recall this year.

I get a chuckle out of Barnes being the second rated player coming from his high school team.

I like how the teams are picked regardless of positions.

lol

“It’s a big-time achievement. My mom called me this morning. I was pretty emotional. I was very thankful they selected me. It’s a big deal.”

Always humble...

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    2012 marks the second year in a row that Barnes was a pre-season 1st team All-American, but failed to live up to the hype. I will not miss that smug little smirk when he goes pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_Newton View Post
    lol

“It’s a big-time achievement. My mom called me this morning. I was pretty emotional. I was very thankful they selected me. It’s a big deal.”

Always humble...
    I can't imagine having a problem with that quote. What's yours?
    Quel est si drole de la paix, de l'amour, et de la comprehension?