Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke vs Tennessee, Pregame & In-Game Thread

Didn't see this started yet.

TN is going to be an extremely hard team to scout. Martin has installed a completely new system at TN after Pearl's departure. Trying to run
    lots of motion offense. Despite some key departures, there are still some talented players left at TN: Tatum, McBee, Golden, Maymon, McRae...

This tournament could provide a huge burst of energy to a TN team that is beginning to recover from the Pearl-driven nightmare of last year.

Duke takes on Tennessee Monday at 12:30 p.m. Hawaii time. That translates to 5:30 p.m. EST.

I haven't seen this team play yet, as they've only had two small matchups (UNCG and Louisiana-Monroe), both of which they won handily.

This is not the Tennessee team of years past. For starters, we all know about Bruce Pearl being gone. First-year coach Cuonzo Martin brings a different style of play to the Volunteers, and his team is probably going to go through some growing pains this year as they try to adapt to more of a half-court offense as opposed to the run-and-gun style of Pearl. Martin's also pretty big on stifling half-court defense,

Players to watch out for: Well, the Vols' two top scorers, Scotty Hopson and Tobias Harris are of course gone, and sophomore point guard Trae Golden has been handed the reigns of the offense. So far, he's done a pretty good job, averaging 10 assists and 23 points in two games this season. But Golden hasn't faced a defense as disciplined as the Blue Devils, so he'll no doubt see a lot of pressure from our guards.

Good news for Duke: Tennesse is just not very experienced down low. Jeronne Maymon is Tennesse's top presence in the frontcourt. The transfer from Marquette averaged just 9 minutes last year and fewer than 3 ppg. He has, however, put up respectable numbers in the Vols' first two games, averaging 13 and 7.5, but again, that's against inferior competition. Hopefully this will be a great game for the Plumlees to continue to gain confidence and get the ball in the halfcourt set.

All in all, Tennesse is going to have a hard time scoring against quality teams this year, so if Duke's defense is firing on all cylinders, it could get ugly.

Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post

All in all, Tennessee is going to have a hard time scoring against quality teams this year, so if Duke's defense is firing on all cylinders, it could get ugly.

Go Duke!
    Perhaps Tennessee will be a litmus test for Duke's perimeter defense. The Volunteers are shooting 49.1% from behind the 3-point arc (26/53) through two games, while Duke is allowing opponents to sink just 33.3% (22/66) through four games. One interesting item to keep an eye one will be whether Tennessee's 3-point offense or Duke's 3-point defense prevails.
    Bob Green

What kind of size is Tennessee working with?

-Hopefully Mase can continue staying aggressive and keep rebounding at a high level. Also, let's see if, for the first time this year, Austin and Andre can both have a good game. Usually it's one or the other.

Also, let's see if, for the first time this year, Austin and Andre can both have a good game. Usually it's one or the other.
    Need a little more balance on offense. Obviously, certain teams will give us different matchup looks that necessitate a different scoring
    approach for each game. Regardless, however, we need for all players to show they can score, regardless of the matchup. That way, other
    teams won't be able to key on one or two players to stop us.

Dave Odom is impressed with the Vols..

And it seems like new coach Cunzo Martin is taking a page out of Coach K's book and stressing half court defense. From what I read and from what I hear from some Vols fans, this team is gritty and will play hard every play. This field in Maui is loaded. I cant wait to see our backourt up against a solid pg like Tennessee has in Golden. Alot of talk right now is about Tennessee being more rested and ariving in Maui on Thursday????

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2011/...coach-dave-by/

I dont see it. Duke has a team that can beat you different ways this year. They can shoot the 3, they have a guy that can get to the basket at will in Rivers and I think now we can win a game in the paint. Plus we have Coach K and that is enough.

The spread is Duke -12 and the over and under is 144.5 so Im going Duke 77-69. I cant get the fact that we let teams back in out of my mind. So Im going to say, Duke takes a 15 point lead and Tennessee mounts a comeback cutting it to 6 before Duke ices it from the line.

3pt pct. defense

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Perhaps Tennessee will be a litmus test for Duke's perimeter defense. The Volunteers are shooting 49.1% from behind the 3-point arc (26/53) through two games, while Duke is allowing opponents to sink just 33.3% (22/66) through four games. One interesting item to keep an eye one will be whether Tennessee's 3-point offense or Duke's 3-point defense prevails.

just to put those numbers into perspective, Duke's 3point field goal percentage defense has been -- so far -- pretty average. That figure (33.3 percent) would have been eighth best in the ACC last year (FSU led the league at 30.6 percent; Duke was at 32.4 percent).

Tennessee's 49.1 percent is an incredible figure -- if they can keep it up. A year ago, no PLAYER in the ACC averaged better than 43 percent.

Checking in from Knoxville...GO BLUE DEVILS!

I hope Coach Martin ends up being successful; just not against Duke.

I don't like these Noon-ish starting times, I feel like they'll always lead to slow starts. Hopefully more for Tenn than Duke.

Trae Golden has posted an ungodly 49.5 PER this year so far - that some nice production regardless of the competition.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_Efficiency_Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Trae Golden has posted an ungodly 49.5 PER this year so far - that some nice production regardless of the competition.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player_Efficiency_Rating
    Well, not only has the competition been sub-par, but Tennessee has only played in two games so far. It will be interesting to see if he pulls the same numbers against us today.

Quote Originally Posted by feldspar View Post
    Well, not only has the competition been sub-par, but Tennessee has only played in two games so far. It will be interesting to see if he pulls the same numbers against us today.
    I'll go out on a limb and say that his PER goes down a bit after today (I know - real thin limb, right?). Something tells me that he's not likely to put up 23 points and 10 assists with a 60% FG% against us.

Obviously players can improve a lot from year to year. But this is a guy who averaged only 13mpg and 3ppg (shooting under 30% from the field) for a 15-loss team last year. And it wasn't like they had unbelievable guards in front of him.

Tennessee's 49.1 percent is an incredible figure -- if they can keep it up. A year ago, no PLAYER in the ACC averaged better than 43 percent.
    Hey folks, this is a serious number. Our 3 point D against Davidson was not good in the first half. We have to close out on shooters
    better, or we could be in trouble.

You'll be able to follow live stats for the game here...

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame...Schedule=10376

Looks like we aren't getting Turnover, Steals, and Blocks from Maui so the efficiency numbers will be slightly off.

Why does Tennessee have blue warm up tops on?

Oh, no

The ESPN2 moron just said "the Plumlee twins." How do these guys have jobs?

ESPN's pre-game analysts have apparently found a way to retroactively synchronize Mason and Miles' birthdays and have dubbed them "the Plumlee twins." Impressive space-time fabric manipulation by the Worldwide Leader.

Edit: It looks like Slower and I balance each other out with positive and negative reaction to the Plumlee comment.

Not a fan of these fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    Not a fan of these fouls.
    Yeah, 7 free throws in the first two minutes is not good. Looking good on offense though.

Wow...Miles with a strong move to the basket. That's nice to see.

As much as Mason helps us with his skill, he can be marginalized with his free throw shooting. He has to work on that as the season goes on.

Miles is impressing me with his fight.