Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Well to be fair, they couldn't really play in this year's tournament either...

"It is disturbing that our current players must pay a penalty for the academic performance of students no longer enrolled," University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst said in a statement. "No educator or parent purposefully punishes young people for the failings of others."

I agree with this quote from the UCONN official. The current student atheletes should not be punished by being forced to sit out. Instead, the University should have to forfeit the money it earned from participating in the NCAA tournament during the years that it failed its students as an academic institution.

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    "It is disturbing that our current players must pay a penalty for the academic performance of students no longer enrolled," University of Connecticut President Susan Herbst said in a statement. "No educator or parent purposefully punishes young people for the failings of others."

I agree with this quote from the UCONN official. The current student atheletes should not be punished by being forced to sit out. Instead, the University should have to forfeit the money it earned from participating in the NCAA tournament during the years that it failed its students as an academic institution.
    I disagree. If you don't penalize the program where it hurts most, then you just open the doors to allow this to happen year in and year out. Universities can afford fines... they can't afford the hit that not being able to play in postseason tournaments costs, both in revenue, stature and potential lost recruits.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    "It is disturbing that our current players must pay a penalty for the academic performance of students no longer enrolled,"
    Yes and no. Those students could have done better if they had a system in place to support them. Most schools are very good at this, Duke being among them. UCONN needs to shoulder the blame amongst their staff just as much or more so than the players. And the NCAA agrees. True, it sucks for the current players, but you can't let it slide.

Edit...adding to this...look at programs the NCAA penalizes for recruiting violations. Every year kids are kept out post-season play because of stupid things their coaches and players before them did. Same difference.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The problem is that you're not providing any motivation for players to do their schoolwork. If they fail, there are no repercussions except what will happen to other players down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The problem is that you're not providing any motivation for players to do their schoolwork. If they fail, there are no repercussions except what will happen to other players down the road.
    That's why you have to motivate the institutions to make it happen.

I don't. These kids are sophisticated enough to know the kind of program they're signing up for. You want to make sure you're going somewhere that steers clear of ethical lines, that isn't going to get dinged like this, that cares about your education, don't go to UConn. You go there anyway, you run the risk of this happening, and you knew it.

The program is being punished because the coaches and administrators did not do their jobs. The players are allowed to transfer and play immediatley so what is not fair?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I don't. These kids are sophisticated enough to know the kind of program they're signing up for. You want to make sure you're going somewhere that steers clear of ethical lines, that isn't going to get dinged like this, that cares about your education, don't go to UConn. You go there anyway, you run the risk of this happening, and you knew it.
    Agreed. Seems like a meaningful penalty based on a critical failure. Let the President squeal.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Well to be fair, they couldn't really play in this year's tournament either...
    The NCAA kicked some arse and broke some hearts today.

Andy Katz's Freudian Slip

In the video at the top of this link I swear at the 30 second mark Andy nearly refers to UConn as a "franchise" and catches himself just in the moment.

I think this is the death knell for UConn. One Evil Empire is down...

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Yes and no. Those students could have done better if they had a system in place to support them. Most schools are very good at this, Duke being among them. UCONN needs to shoulder the blame amongst their staff just as much or more so than the players. And the NCAA agrees. True, it sucks for the current players, but you can't let it slide.

Edit...adding to this...look at programs the NCAA penalizes for recruiting violations. Every year kids are kept out post-season play because of stupid things their coaches and players before them did. Same difference.
    Agree and will add that the incoming recruits can choose to go to a school that will be allowed to play in the post season, and current players have the option of transferring and not having to sit out. I am fine with the punishment and find it appropriate. Vacating wins, and monetary fines have zero impact and serve no purpose at all.

Oriakhi's father says his son will visit Duke, North C*rolina, K*ntucky and Missouri.

Linky.

"Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said Friday he has no problem with next season's only possible goal being the Big East regular-season title if the Huskies are banned from the postseason."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...title-top-goal

also fron the link

"We've made mistakes," Calhoun said. "If they use the current data, then we'll be fully set to go for next year."

An NCAA committee is expected to meet on the matter sometime in the early summer to review whether the most recent four-year period would be used to determine the APR. Manuel contests the penalty phase was changed in October to include the postseason ban for the offense.

"We think that they'll look at the most recent data, and if they do, it could affect 20 schools," Calhoun said. "We're going forward to make sure this never happens again. At the same time, we've had two years of hard work to rectify this and we hope they use the most recent data."

(end of quote from the link)

Does anybody have a list of who the 20 schools are?

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    When he announced he was transferring I read a quote from his father saying if UConn won the appeal he still wanted to transfer out and would sit the year (sorry, no longer have the link). He could change his mind, of course, but it sounded like he was prepared for the possibility he'd have to sit out a year.
    Did we ever resolve whether he'd be eligible in 2012-13? I am assuming NOT. Correct?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by -bdbd View Post
    Did we ever resolve whether he'd be eligible in 2012-13? I am assuming NOT. Correct?
    According to the NCAA, since UCONN can't play in the postseason, Oriakhi is eligible to play starting this season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    According to the NCAA, since UCONN can't play in the postseason, Oriakhi is eligible to play starting this season.
    That was my understanding too.

The reason why Alex is the only one affected is because there is also a criteria that only one year of eligibility remianing which is in direct conflict with an SEC requirement that transfer have to have 2 or more years remaining.

As would be expected when Calhoun chased a few scholarhsip offers away (they probably stopped attending class to stick it to him and it worked) plus had some leave early or transfer, Alex was the only junior.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ort/experience

So guys like Napier, Drummond, Lamb, Boatright, Daniels etc would have to sit if they transfer rather than go pro. Else no BE Tourney and no NCAAT. According to the link, Calhoun's namesake still intends to enroll at UCONN.

Is there a reason why Oriakhi was not recruited by Duke out of high school? He has the body type that I wish Duke would go after every year.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    ... Calhoun's namesake still intends to enroll at UCONN.
    I hope he likes to shoot, there should be plenty of shots available.

Quote Originally Posted by ACCBBallFan View Post
    "Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun said Friday he has no problem with next season's only possible goal being the Big East regular-season title if the Huskies are banned from the postseason."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...title-top-goal

also fron the link

"We've made mistakes," Calhoun said. "If they use the current data, then we'll be fully set to go for next year."

An NCAA committee is expected to meet on the matter sometime in the early summer to review whether the most recent four-year period would be used to determine the APR. Manuel contests the penalty phase was changed in October to include the postseason ban for the offense.

"We think that they'll look at the most recent data, and if they do, it could affect 20 schools," Calhoun said. "We're going forward to make sure this never happens again. At the same time, we've had two years of hard work to rectify this and we hope they use the most recent data."

(end of quote from the link)

Does anybody have a list of who the 20 schools are?
    I am reading the data correctly, I think I can answer my own question and the only other major conference school is Arkansas.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/newmedia/pub...es/index5.html

So my interpretation si the 20 schools in potential danger unless they get a waiver or unless NCAA facotrs in more recent performance are:

Alabama State University
    Binghamton University
    California State University, Bakersfield
    California State University, Northridge
    Chicago State University
    Coppin State University
    Florida A&M University
    Grambling State University
    Kennesaw State University
    Mississippi Valley State University
    Morgan State University
    Norfolk State University
    Southern University, Baton Rouge
    Southern Utah University
    University of Arkansas, Fayetteville
    University of Arkansas, Pine Bluff
    University of California, Riverside
    University of Connecticut
    University of Louisiana at Monroe
    University of Toledo

Frank Haith and Missouri would have hoped Norfolk State had been ineligible last season.

I have not looked up all their conferences but looks like MEAC, SWAC and Big West will have a lot less entirees on whose champ gets to play in the Dayton play in game for 16 seeds.