Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    I read the article on the front page of DBR; and I wanted to get the opinions of those that may have seen more footage of Andrew Wiggins than myself in regards to what makes Wiggins really special. And with the real possiblility that Wiggins my reclassify to the 2013, who is the better player between Jabari and Wiggins and why? Would you rather have Wiggins over Parker for Duke's recruiting class of 2013 if Wiggins reclassified and you had to pick between the two? I like Jabari. I think he has a more versatile skillset and will project to be a better pro player; but I admit that I'm biased towards Jabari imo.
    Well, you're talking about the #1 and #2 prospects in the country if Wiggins reclassifies. It's hard to describe what makes Wiggins special. He was easily the best player on the floor against the USA team despite being a year younger than anyone else on the floor (in some cases as much as 3 years younger). He's very explosive, very long, very good at every facet of the game. I haven't seen Parker at all, so I can't comment on how he compares to Wiggins. But I'll say that based on what Wiggins did against the US seniors, if Parker is better then Parker is the best prospect in a long time. My guess is that Wiggins becomes the #1 prospect in whatever class he chooses. And he'll likely be a #1 draft pick when he decides to turn pro.

Parker is a little bigger and from the scouting reports does a bit of everything. Wiggins is apparently much more explosive athletically. Both have plenty of size to play the SF in college, while Wiggins will likely move to SG in the NBA.

Side note: for anyone still debating the reclassification issue and whether Murphy should be considered a freshman next year, take a look at the ages of the US team. Murphy is two years younger than Mitch McGary, 4 months younger than Kaleb Tarczewski, and only 3 months older than Kyle Anderson and Tony Parker and 5 months older than Shabazz Muhammad. So he's very similar in age to those guys, but with a year's worth of collegiate experience under his belt.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, you're talking about the #1 and #2 prospects in the country if Wiggins reclassifies. It's hard to describe what makes Wiggins special. He was easily the best player on the floor against the USA team despite being a year younger than anyone else on the floor (in some cases as much as 3 years younger). He's very explosive, very long, very good at every facet of the game. I haven't seen Parker at all, so I can't comment on how he compares to Wiggins. But I'll say that based on what Wiggins did against the US seniors, if Parker is better then Parker is the best prospect in a long time. My guess is that Wiggins becomes the #1 prospect in whatever class he chooses. And he'll likely be a #1 draft pick when he decides to turn pro.

Parker is a little bigger and from the scouting reports does a bit of everything. Wiggins is apparently much more explosive athletically. Both have plenty of size to play the SF in college, while Wiggins will likely move to SG in the NBA.

Side note: for anyone still debating the reclassification issue and whether Murphy should be considered a freshman next year, take a look at the ages of the US team. Murphy is two years younger than Mitch McGary, 4 months younger than Kaleb Tarczewski, and only 3 months older than Kyle Anderson and Tony Parker and 5 months older than Shabazz Muhammad. So he's very similar in age to those guys, but with a year's worth of collegiate experience under his belt.
    Thanks CDu for your thoughts. It sounds like Wiggins potentially has a T-Mac type of game while Parker may well be in the mold of Grant Hill (with possibly less hops and explosiveness). Do you agree based on what you've seen and know (I know you haven't seen much of Parker)?

Thanks CDu for your thoughts. It sounds like Wiggins potentially has a T-Mac type of game while Parker may well be in the mold of Grant Hill (with possibly less hops). Do you agree/disagree?
    I agree with the first one - McGrady or Bryant. He'll have to show improved ballhandling, but those guys are the type of athletic, explosive, shooter/scorers that Wiggins looks like. But I'm not sure I agree with the Grant Hill comparison, as (from the sounds of it) Hill was much more athletic than Parker. The comps I've seen for Parker are more along the lines of guys like Carmelo Anthony and Paul Pierce.

The biggest difference between the two is that Duke has a realistic chance to sign Parker. FSU and Kentucky have distanced themselves from the pack on Wiggins. Not sure Duke is even going to try on him. But Duke is in as good a shape as anyone for Jabari Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    The biggest difference between the two is that Duke has a realistic chance to sign Parker. FSU and Kentucky have distanced themselves from the pack on Wiggins. Not sure Duke is even going to try on him. But Duke is in as good a shape as anyone for Jabari Parker.
    Thanks, that's kind of what I was looking for. And I'm assuming FSU and Kentucky are offering both brothers because, well, why not?

I saw Parker play live back in January and think I caught him on a bad day. He was obviously a very good player, just not particularly explosive or assertive. But Simeon was also way outclassed by Findlay on that particular day. Suffice it to say I'd love to have Parker at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter View Post
    I'd heard Wiggins was a package deal with his brother, who's also a high-level recruit. Does anyone know if that's true? And if so, would Duke consider offering both? ...
    Why thats Plum(lee) loco, having brothers on scholarship

I hear Cal has offered scholarships to his brother, their dog, two neighbors, and any two females he chooses to designate as "girlfriend."

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It will be real interesting to see who gets Wiggins. Hamilton is going up against Calipari; and that will probably be a tough battle eventhough Hamilton is a good recruiter. That said, I'd love for Hamilton to stick it to Calipari and get Wiggins. It sounds like if Wiggins commits to Fla St, Fla St would become a national contender (depending on the rest of the roster) and a bigger player in the ACC the year that Wiggins plays. That combined with the year that Syracuse and Pitt joins the ACC could bring the ACC back to top dog status as the best conference in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I agree with the first one - McGrady or Bryant. He'll have to show improved ballhandling, but those guys are the type of athletic, explosive, shooter/scorers that Wiggins looks like. But I'm not sure I agree with the Grant Hill comparison, as (from the sounds of it) Hill was much more athletic than Parker. The comps I've seen for Parker are more along the lines of guys like Carmelo Anthony and Paul Pierce.
    It sounds like athletically, he might be on the same level as Shane; but has a more versatile offensive skill set. Regardless, I'd love for Duke to get Jabari. And as far as talent level is concerned, doesn't say alot about how good Jabari is when Nerlens who was ranked behind Parker at No. 2 in the class of 2013 moved into the No. 1 spot in the class of 2012?

I'd heard Wiggins was a package deal with his brother, who's also a high-level recruit. Does anyone know if that's true? And if so, would Duke consider offering both? (I can't see them being willing to do that, but I personally probably would be.)
    What year is his brother and what position does he play?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Why thats Plum(lee) loco, having brothers on scholarship

I hear Cal has offered scholarships to his brother, their dog, two neighbors, and any two females he chooses to designate as "girlfriend."
    LOL, right. I was more thinking of twin recruits from the same class, though. Until Jim's post, I kept hearing us mentioned as a possibility for Wiggins, and I was wondering whether Duke would offer his brother if they offered him. I kind of always wondered the same thing about Deuce Bello when they were going after Quincy Miller. They weren't brothers, but it seemed like they might as well have been.

Anyway, carry on.

In case you didn't know, I'm a total moron. (You know now, if you didn't before!) I was thinking of Andrew and Aaron Harrison.

Uh, don't mind me. I'll go back to the NBA threads for a while.

Last edited by Starter; 04-30-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Adding an embarrassed smiley face

... I was thinking of Andrew and Aaron Harrison. ...
    I hear they are difficult to tell apart, so your confusion is understandable

It sounds like athletically, he might be on the same level as Shane; but has a more versatile offensive skill set. Regardless, I'd love for Duke to get Jabari. And as far as talent level is concerned, doesn't say alot about how good Jabari is when Nerlens who was ranked behind Parker at No. 2 in the class of 2013 moved into the No. 1 spot in the class of 2012?
    I think that's a fair description, yeah. By all accounts, Parker is very very good. He's just possibly not quite as good as Wiggins (though it remains to be seen). He would be an absolutely fantastic "get" for Duke by all accounts.

In case you didn't know, I'm a total moron. (You know now, if you didn't before!) I was thinking of Andrew and Aaron Harrison.

Uh, don't mind me. I'll go back to the NBA threads for a while.

Yes, the Harrison twins are a package deal and have been unequivocal about that. Their top four schools right now are Kentucky, Maryland, Baylor, and Villanova, but they've said they may add others (including Arizona and Kansas). The have good size at 6-5, and scout.com has them as the #1 PG (Andrew) and #1 SG (Aaron) in the class, so I would love to see them suit up for the Blue Devils, but I have not heard of any serious involvement by Duke so far.

Be WEARy of package deals.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Yes, the Harrison twins are a package deal and have been unequivocal about that. Their top four schools right now are Kentucky, Maryland, Baylor, and Villanova, but they've said they may add others (including Arizona and Kansas). The have good size at 6-5, and scout.com has them as the #1 PG (Andrew) and #1 SG (Aaron) in the class, so I would love to see them suit up for the Blue Devils, but I have not heard of any serious involvement by Duke so far.
    Seems like a strange list for a couple of top 5-top 10 national recruits from Texas. Kentucky and Baylor, OK. Maryland? Villanova?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Seems like a strange list for a couple of top 5-top 10 national recruits from Texas. Kentucky and Baylor, OK. Maryland? Villanova?
    Turgeon probably explains why Maryland is in it (after coming over from Texas A&M). Not sure about Villanova...perhaps they simply got involved very early.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Apparently there is some connection between Under Armour, the twins, and Maryland. Surprise.

I'm not certain about the lure of Villanova. Perhaps they eat the same chicken strips that they serve in the cafeteria there.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    They are CAPELable of going to different schools, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Occasionally, things work out and the deal is a plum; Lee Melchionni told me that, too.