Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2017 World Series of Poker

The Main Event is still a couple weeks away, but there have been a few interesting results from the early events so far.

Kid Poker, Daniel Negreanu, is off to a fast start. He nabbed two final tables in the first week of play, including 2nd place in the $10k Omaha hi-low championship.

Bertrand "Elky" Grospellier, who was among the most successful WSOP players about a half decade ago but hasn't done much recently, finished 2nd at the huge $111k High Roller for One Drop event. The guy who won that event was Doug Polk, who has an incredibly successful YouTube channel where he dissects interesting poker hands. It was Polk's 3rd career bracelet and he is clearly one of the bright young stars of poker (he's only 28). He made more than $3.6 million for the win.

John Racener, who came in second in the 2010 Main Event, won his first ever bracelet by taking the $10k Dealer's Choice tournament. Mike "The Mouth" Matusow came in 5th in that event. It was The Mouth's second final table so far as he finished 8th in the $10k Omaha event.

Still a long way to go... the $50k Poker Player Championship is over July 4th weekend with the Main Event starting on July 8th.

-Jason "wish I was there..." Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I will be there soon (schedule willing) and am scheduled to play an event or two.

Negraneau's daily VLOGs are worth checking out-- should be on YouTube.

Came across this poker video and had to share. This is a good one.

I am sure most of you know what a "slow roll" is. It is when you know you have the winning cards but you only reveal them slowly, forcing your opponent to agonize over it. It can also happen when you know you are going to call an all-in bet (meaning there is no additional betting, to there is no reason to pretend like your hand is something it isn't) and you know you are going to call but you pretend to be unsure of your decision.

Experienced poker pros hate guys who slow roll. It is showboating and shows a real lack of respect for your opponents.

Well, here is a hand from the Irish Open Poker Championship a couple months ago with a ridiculous slow roll that makes the entire table hate the guy... and the final result is just perfect!

-Jason "awesome!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Came across this poker video and had to share. This is a good one.

I am sure most of you know what a "slow roll" is. It is when you know you have the winning cards but you only reveal them slowly, forcing your opponent to agonize over it. It can also happen when you know you are going to call an all-in bet (meaning there is no additional betting, to there is no reason to pretend like your hand is something it isn't) and you know you are going to call but you pretend to be unsure of your decision.

Experienced poker pros hate guys who slow roll. It is showboating and shows a real lack of respect for your opponents.

Well, here is a hand from the Irish Open Poker Championship a couple months ago with a ridiculous slow roll that makes the entire table hate the guy... and the final result is just perfect!

-Jason "awesome!" Evans
    Two phrases come to mind:

1. "Never slow roll an Irishman."

2. "What a putz."

Daniel Negraneau has offered to stake a player for the Main Event. Send him a video (30 seconds or less) as to why he should pick you. I think he will pay 100% of the $10,000 buy-in, and he gets half the cash you may make.

Check out his VLOG of day 15 I think.

Work duties made me shift my calendar, only playing one bracelet event then maybe a tasty deep stack at Venetian.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Work duties made me shift my calendar, only playing one bracelet event then maybe a tasty deep stack at Venetian.
    Oh? (really, I have to type a minimum of 4 characters in order to post?)

Will say that the beat Vanessa Selbst took in the first level of the Main Event to Gaëlle Bauman was brutal.

VS: AA
    GB: 77

Flop A7x
    Turn 7
    River x

Both flopped trips; bottom trips hits quads on the river; all the money goes in. Wow.

Had a great time at WSOP, if you play it's worth the trip. Sadly did not get up with Sue, but happily avoided need for serious legal representation while there!

(Next time, Sue, if we can. Go Duke!)

Will say that the beat Vanessa Selbst took in the first level of the Main Event to Gaëlle Bauman was brutal.

VS: AA
    GB: 77

Flop A7x
    Turn 7
    River x

Both flopped trips; bottom trips hits quads on the river; all the money goes in. Wow.

Had a great time at WSOP, if you play it's worth the trip. Sadly did not get up with Sue, but happily avoided need for serious legal representation while there!

Here's video of the hand. Selbst claims she almost folded second nuts because Bauman could have had A7.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Here's video of the hand. Selbst claims she almost folded second nuts because Bauman could have had A7.
    I had a long discussion with a friend after that hand. Could you really lay it down if you are Vanessa? GB is almost never bluffing there. Does she really shove A7 there though? Does she really even get to the flop with that hand?

Even knowing that both may be unlikely, can you get away from a flopped set of aces to the one miracle hand that beats you?

Sick.

Image of Amazon room:
    IMG_0456.jpg

Miranda (back table Kid Poker; mid table Mike Sexton; fore table the Poker Brat) -- $50,000 Player's Championship event;
    IMG_0480.jpg

Not sure how those came out upside down or sideways. I'll try these from same event:

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0490.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0482.jpg

Nope, still sideways. Not sure why. Sorry.

What events did you play OPK?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    What events did you play OPK?
    Two bracelet events, a small NLH and a small PLO.

They also have several great daily events that draw large fields and therefore big prize pools.

Two bracelet events, a small NLH and a small PLO.
    Very cool. Hope you had a blast!

Definitely!

Never played in a WSP tournament but play in some up here in the NE from time to time (just daily tournaments). Have actually won a few of them. On Wednesday entered two on one day and had valuable lessons reminded to me.

First one I had K, 10 suited. I raised preflop just a little and big and small blinds called. Everyone else folded. Flop was K, 10, 4 rainbow. I raise 2K and small blind goes all in. He had not been playing bold. And I called. Of course he has pocket 4's. Grrrr. Lesson - never bet your tournament life when someone else goes all in.

Second tournament at the end I had A, K suited. Raised 1K and big blind called. Flop was K, 8 clubs, 4. I go all in. BB and large stack calls. He has K, 8. Bad luck. 3 out of 4 I win pre flop. Should have known. That kind of day. In the first tournament at the very end I had $800 left and went all in. A, Q versus J, 4 and he gets a J on the turn. It's a cruel game sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Never played in a WSP tournament but play in some up here in the NE from time to time (just daily tournaments). Have actually won a few of them. On Wednesday entered two on one day and had valuable lessons reminded to me.

First one I had K, 10 suited. I raised preflop just a little and big and small blinds called. Everyone else folded. Flop was K, 10, 4 rainbow. I raise 2K and small blind goes all in. He had not been playing bold. And I called. Of course he has pocket 4's. Grrrr. Lesson - never bet your tournament life when someone else goes all in.

Second tournament at the end I had A, K suited. Raised 1K and big blind called. Flop was K, 8 clubs, 4. I go all in. BB and large stack calls. He has K, 8. Bad luck. 3 out of 4 I win pre flop. Should have known. That kind of day. In the first tournament at the very end I had $800 left and went all in. A, Q versus J, 4 and he gets a J on the turn. It's a cruel game sometimes.
    First hand, agreed -- better to bet all in than to call all in. The first has fold equity, the other is basically hoping for an overbet and sort of a bluff catcher.

Second and last hand, well -- "variance"

Curious who folks read or listen to when trying to improve game. Started with Dan Harrington and Phil Gordon; ODing on Jonathan Little these days. Need some new input.

I'm glad they got rid of the November 9. It was an unnatural pause in the action.

Curious who folks read or listen to when trying to improve game. Started with Dan Harrington and Phil Gordon; ODing on Jonathan Little these days. Need some new input.
    Warren Buffett.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Warren Buffett.
    LOL. His Berkshire annual reports are must-reads!

And then there were 3. Should be all wrapped up tonight.