Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What will be cancelled first? (TV thread)

I ant this to have its own home, so plenty of folks see it, but it can be merged into the Fall TV thread in a little bit.

The Fall TV season has officially begun this week so I am soliciting guesses as to what TV show will be removed from the air first. Only shows on the 4 major networks count. If a show gets shelved so that its remaining episodes can be shown Saturdays at 10pm on USA Network or Bravo, that counts as being cancelled. If there is some dispute as to whether a show has been cancelled or merely put on temporary hiatus, we can all discuss it and come to a conclusion.

I think it only fair that everyone put in their guesses by Monday night, so you have a few days to consider your choices.

Here are the new shows on TV so far --

Sunday -
    10pm - ABC - 666 Park Avenue

Monday -
    830pm - CBS - Partners
    9pm - Fox - Mob Doctor
    10pm - NBC - Revolution

Tuesday -
    830pm - Fox - Ben & Kate
    9pm - NBC - Go On
    930pm - NBC - New Normal
    930pm - Fox - Mindy Project
    10pm - CBS - Vegas

Wednesday -
    8pm - NBC - Animal Practice
    830pm - NBC - Guys with Kids
    830pm - ABC - Neighbors
    10pm - NBC - Chicago Fire
    10pm - ABC - Nashville

Thursday -
    8pm - ABC - Last Resort
    10pm - CBS - Elementary

Friday -
    9pm - CBS - Made in Jersey

-Jason "did I get all of that right? Did I miss any shows? I am obviously not counting mid-season replacement shows" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Is there really demand for yet another thread on this board that obsesses over the commercial aspects of mass culture to the exclusion of artistic considerations?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Is there really demand for yet another thread on this board that obsesses over the commercial aspects of mass culture to the exclusion of artistic considerations?
    Yup! Don't like it? Don't read it.

-Jason
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Sure beats another thread predicting starting line-ups and minutes for players - and yes I do ignore those (but the "debate" flairs up in dozens of other threads)

Watched "Elementary" last night. To this non-expert, it was clever with interesting characters..especially since most viewers would be comparing to the traditional character roles...Chinese-American born Watson, for example...

Surprisingly, nothing sticks out at me as the obvious goner.

I think FOX stays put. They seem to have hit on something with the Tuesday night female-centric 2-hour comedy block, which appears at first glance to be more seamless than anything the other networks are doing. I don't have long-term hopes for The Mob Doctor, which I think is miscast in a few places, and has an unsustainable double-life premise. However, William Forsythe is B-list coolness, and the first episode does something so awesome that I had to give it a chance.

I'm inclined not to pick an NBC show because they are so desperate for scripted TV success that they'll give their new inexpensive (read: half-hour) shows some free rein. And their one risk, Revolution, is doing better than expected. This leaves Chicago Fire as the most vulnerable, but maybe people who miss Third Watch will keep it alive.

This leaves ABC and CBS, which are successful enough that they can make a bold cut or two. CBS has completely diluted their Monday night comedy product, and Partners would appear to be the most likely casualty. I'm not sure what to make of Made in Jersey, but it should incubate nicely in that risk-free Friday night slot. ABC has a couple of expensive risks (Last Resort, 666 Park Avenue) that look hit-or-miss. And while I haven't seen The Neighbors, it could settle in to that 8:30 slot. Maybe. The alien concept doesn't bother me as much as the baggy-eyed male lead that, in Jami Gertz terms, makes Mark Addy look like an Adonis.

So, if I had to guess, I'd say that most of the new shows will survive into 2013 (Mayan prediction memes notwithstanding). Based on Jason's list, these are the ones most likely to die before then:

1. Partners (CBS)
    2. Last Resort (ABC)
    3. Chicago Fire (NBC)
    4. The Mob Doctor (FOX)
    5. The Neighbors (ABC)

Jason's mention of midseason replacement shows is interesting. A network (say, NBC) is more likely to ditch a poor performing show (say, Guys with Kids) if it has something else on deck. But I don't know what's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Watched "Elementary" last night. To this non-expert, it was clever with interesting characters..especially since most viewers would be comparing to the traditional character roles...Chinese-American born Watson, for example...
    Is Lucy Liu any good in it? In the radio commercial, she strikes me as playing the same thing she always does... attractive woman who always smells something disgusting but doesn't want to mention it... kind of like Kristen Stewart but grossed out instead of dead inside.

If you've got a better idea, why not start a thread about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I ant this to have its own home, so plenty of folks see it, but it can be merged into the Fall TV thread in a little bit.
    I hate it when you merge threads into unreadably long threads. You never know when something new is discussed that might be interesting (if you're not already reading that thread because it's too long. Like the 201X recruiting threads.) But you already know my opinion on this...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    If you've got a better idea, why not start a thread about it.
    Because said thread would devolve into discussions of box office numbers or ratings. Duvall is right.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

And we wonder why people think Dukies are arrogant

Artistic considerations aren't applicable where the discussion of television shows are concerned, unless you want to talk about Twin Peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Artistic considerations aren't applicable where the discussion of television shows are concerned, unless you want to talk about Twin Peaks.
    And here I thought The Wire was a television show...

Quote Originally Posted by cf-62 View Post
    And we wonder why people think Dukies are arrogant
    Nan's campaign against "anti-intellectualism" didn't help either.

Okay, gotta go with...

Guys with kids
    Partners
    Last Resort

Now, this is all from what I hear about them, as I won't watch any of these three shows.

The correct answer SHOULD be "The Office" in the same way that cavalry troopers used to put a horse out of its misery when it went down, but unfortunately that won't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Modern Family is worthy of discussion in its entirety, not just for Sofía Vergara.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Okay, gotta go with...

Guys with kids
    Partners
    Last Resort

Now, this is all from what I hear about them, as I won't watch any of these three shows.

The correct answer SHOULD be "The Office" in the same way that cavalry troopers used to put a horse out of its misery when it went down, but unfortunately that won't happen
    I actually enjoyed Guys With Kids perhaps most episodes will be similar bit I think it survives. Partners is an interesting one because it gets HIMYM as a lead in and is buoyed with decent comedies behind it. Pilot wasn't great but numbers will be fine. It'll be interesting to see if CBS kills it to try out another comedy in the spring.
    My vote is for Made in Jersey heard terrible things and don't think people want Legally Blonde on a weekly basis with Partners being a close second just because of its spot.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Modern Family is worthy of discussion in its entirety, not just for Sofía Vergara.
    Okay, Phil, that'll be enough.

Partners. What a terribly boring show.

The correct answer is The Mob Doctor, which is getting abysmal ratings through its first two episodes -- less than 4 million people are watching and the demographics are bad too.

At least that is my guess.

-Jason