Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gthoma2a View Post
    I am not writing these guys off. I just think that a guy who is able to pick up this much in five years is going to be a beast if he keeps growing as a player. It is the Tim Duncan or Joachim Noah idea. If you have a guy who is growing by leaps and bounds, you want them badly. Those two went from being relatively inexperienced to the pros rather quickly. That is why that rate of improvement is what I am basing this off of. Our guys can and will improve, but not at the rate that this kid is growing (he has the physical tools and is picking up the rest quickly).
    I want to discuss the bolded point because I think there are misconceptions here. There is a difference between learning the game and starting to play organized ball. A kid coming from Africa and learning the game as a teenager has a HUGE learning curve to overcome. A kid from the US has likely grown up around the game his whole life including playing in P.E. and informal pickup games.

I highly doubt that Daniels first picked up a basketball at 12-13 years old. I suspect he just started playing organized basketball at that time. I don't suspect that this is all that uncommon. Lots of kids don't have easy access to organized basketball until middle school. That doesn't mean that they haven't played informally long prior to that. So they've already worked on lots of the individual skills (dribble moves, shooting) that are a part of the game. As such, I think the "look how far he's come in five years" argument falls a bit flat.

Daniels may well become a one-and-done star. But I don't think we have the information to justify such a prediction. I think his rep is getting greatly overinflated thanks to being one of the last prospects available.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Daniels seems to be reaching legend status with some posters, and is now increasing in lore as a huge fish that got away. I'll certainly be interested to see just how good he is next year.

Daniels did come to Duke for a visit. While I didn't see him, there are posters on TDD who say he really didn't fare well in pick-up games with returning Duke players. FWIW.

I wish young Mr. Daniels well, but time to move on?
    I'm well resigned to the fact he isnt coming to Duke, however I did not believe he had the talent from what I've seen to be a 1&Done. That doesnt mean that he himself doesnt feel the same way, which is a reason for him playing this recruiting game the way he has. He was high on Duke until Murphy reclassified, which of course hurts the PT he'd receive as a 3/4.

Its also even more telling the fact that John Calipari pulled his scholarship offer to Daniels. Im not sure the reasons behind it, but it is interesting none the less.

myck kabongo twitter hinting at DD to texas?

http://twitter.com/#!/1mk2

“DeAndre is going to make his decision tomorrow [Wednesday],” IMG Academies coach Andy Borman confirmed by phone Tuesday.

The 6-foot-8 Daniels is down to Kansas and Texas.
    http://www.zagsblog.com/2011/05/17/d...nce-wednesday/

some whacky stuff going on here, are you guys back in the picture?

Just in, DeAndre Daniels decision pushed back to tomorrow morning. Can't make this stuff up.
    http://twitter.com/#!/davetelep

Wonder if Trevor's decision had anything to do with it. Everyone thought he would commit to KU today, but opted for Bama instead.

Well it's 6:30 pm est and DeAndre still hasn't made his decision today. I still think he really wanted to go to Duke but his impatience got the best of him. It's funny that he demands patience for his decision but doesn't give it in return.

So its almost 11:30 PM now. Is Daniels just going to sit at home next year?

With this lack of decision making in addition to other details about his visit here, I think it softened the realization that he won't be coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePanda View Post
    So its almost 11:30 PM now. Is Daniels just going to sit at home next year?

With this lack of decision making in addition to other details about his visit here, I think it softened the realization that he won't be coming here.
    Why does it matter that it's 11:30 pm? Didn't the signing period end on Wednesday? You don't need to sign a letter of intent to play basketball; I don't think there's any advantage for Daniels to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    Why does it matter that it's 11:30 pm? Didn't the signing period end on Wednesday? You don't need to sign a letter of intent to play basketball; I don't think there's any advantage for Daniels to do it.
    So what's the verdict?! Did he commit anywhere yet?

Quote Originally Posted by DeBlueDevil View Post
    So what's the verdict?! Did he commit anywhere yet?
    Nope...

@AdamZagoria IMG Academies coach Andy Borman told me he doesn't think anything will happen today w/Deandre Daniels

'No Clue On Timetable' Is Official Word On DeAndre Daniels Signing Announcement

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/kansa...g-announcement

Quote Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post
    It matters because he originally said that he was going to make a decision by May 18th and then word was that he was delaying the announcement a day but there hasn't been any word on his decision.

I don't think that it means anything with regard to Duke but is still interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by yancem View Post
    It matters because he originally said that he was going to make a decision by May 18th and then word was that he was delaying the announcement a day but there hasn't been any word on his decision.

I don't think that it means anything with regard to Duke but is still interesting.
    His final 3 was Kansas, Texas, & Oregon as of May 18. Oregon filled their scholarship with Olu Ashaolu a graduate transfer from LA Tech.

He seems to be playing around with coaches who are now focusing their attention on 2012. Evan Daniels tweeted that Daniels was now open to new schools joining in his recruitment which suggests hes going to delay this even further.

As we check the rear view mirror, not sorry we didn't pick this guy up.

I have no info on it, but I wonder if the whole reason is that he is really encountering this much trouble with his academics.

I know that my home town had a player that was very talented in the early 90s, and he went to State on a full ride, but ultimately had to come back. I am not saying it is anything like this or this bad, but that particular young man (at the time) was the son of a teach and a really nice guy, but, when he got to school, they found out that he couldn't read. He had been passed along for years due to his mother's position, his ability, and his very likeable personality, but that had done him no favors. His scholarship was revoked and he came back in shame over something that was not his fault (I remember me and my family feeling terrible for him). I remember him coming to the school where his mom worked and taught kids to play basketball and he was just being a general mentor for a while, but, fortunately, got a chance to play pro ball in Europe later on. My point with this is that just because he is having trouble with this decision doesn't mean that he isn't a good kid and a great player. Be happy if you want, but celebrating not getting him is a little over the top considering the fact that he may be going through something very difficult that we just don't understand. I can't say that this is the case and the aforementioned player is an extreme case, but we should keep these things in mind when he hear rumblings of not being eligible in the classroom.

I guess you need SOME proficiency in the old fashion 3Rs. Unless of course you decide to play at Kentucky.

I'd find it easier to dislike the guy if Andy Borman didn't say such nice things about him:

"DeAndre has taken full advantage of everything that IMG has to offer and has continued to develop on the court, in the classroom and in the weight room,” said Borman said. “He is an extremely talented young man, but what sets him apart from other talented kids his age is the fact that he is extremely driven and focused on becoming the best player possible. He is an immediate impact player at the next level.”
    Major impact player for the Huskies? I guess we'll see.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I'd find it easier to dislike the guy if Andy Borman didn't say such nice things about him:

Major impact player for the Huskies? I guess we'll see.
    I still hate the fact that he's going to go play for Calhoun and UConn. Especially since Borman is a Duke guy and he seemed all but certain to sign with Duke at one point.

I'm hoping Calhoun retires soon, opening up the recruitment of Drummond in the next class.

well isn't that special. time to follow the money