Page 20 of 41 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    yeah, not sure why I did that. I guess I was afraid that I would be kicked off at first. Then, after I played the part for a while, I slowly started to lose my patience. Then, at some point during the season, I couldn't stand it anymore, I had to stand up for my team.

Most of you guys are friendly while some of you just hate my guts because of the team I pull for. Thats fine, I am guilty of that myself at times. In the end, I enjoy posting here. Whether it is nice to get a different perspective or whether I just enjoy defending my little sandbar while the tide rapidly comes in, I come back everyday.
    I enjoy the intelligent conversations with Carolina fans here who, when cordial, are usually greeted in kind. Calling them out as "arrogant jerks" just because they root for the Tar Heels hardly adds to that discourse. kong123 has a bit of an attitude but some perspective as well. I want Carolina to fail as much as any avid Duke fan but appreciate the debate. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Speaking of poster people for unc there seems to be no lack of candidates, John Edwards, LT, Ol'roy, the "sheed", Jeff McGinis and his follies with coaches' partners, Marion Jones, on and on and on. I wonder who will be the next? Keep thirsty my friends.
    I guess Mike Nifong has some legit challengers, but he's still the incumbent.

UNC Poster Boy

I thought I nominated Michael B. Nifong as the UNC Poster Boy earlier, but my post seems to have disappeared. Have I annoyed someone at Justice4nifong?

i give kong props for hanging in here, taking the heat, not losing his kewl and getting banned....

my one gripe is his knack for seemingly complimenting duke while sliding a back hand diss in the same paragraph....he says nice things about duke, but always a side helping of unc....

that said, i for one and glad he's got the stones to hang around...

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i give kong props for hanging in here, taking the heat, not losing his kewl and getting banned....

my one gripe is his knack for seemingly complimenting duke while sliding a back hand diss in the same paragraph....he says nice things about duke, but always a side helping of unc....

that said, i for one and glad he's got the stones to hang around...
    The backhand compliment and the sly dig are following in the proud tradition of Dean Smith. El-Deano was the master of that.

Actually, it would be interesting to get a candid take from Dean Smith about the Tarheels 2009-10 season. Won't happen of course. I suspect Dean could have constructed a much better team out of that group of players.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    The backhand compliment and the sly dig are following in the proud tradition of Dean Smith. El-Deano was the master of that.

Actually, it would be interesting to get a candid take from Dean Smith about the Tarheels 2009-10 season. Won't happen of course. I suspect Dean could have constructed a much better team out of that group of players.
    I would venture to guess that some of Roy's antics grate on Dean's nerves. Allowing Dancin' Danny clown antics on the sidelines, the unwillingness to adjust, the emotional pooh pooh's in press conferences, etc... Sure Roy has to be his own guy but these are all very un-Dean like. He is an old-school guy with old-school values, no way Dean would have let some of this stuff go.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

...eh

They will fair better in another program. What it comes down to is that "Dad" wasn't satisfied with their playing time. Plus with more players coming to UNC that will better suit Roy Williams offensive style I am sure that it was becoming obvious that the Wear boys would still be coming off the bench. I wish them well. I don't think UNC will suffer terribly from their absence, though now UNC"s height depth will be left with only Zeller and Henson at 7' each. But that is ok. Neither of Roy's 3 final four teams and 2 national championship teams at UNC have had a 7 footer figuring prominently in the scheme anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I would venture to guess that some of Roy's antics grate on Dean's nerves. Allowing Dancin' Danny clown antics on the sidelines, the unwillingness to adjust, the emotional pooh pooh's in press conferences, etc... Sure Roy has to be his own guy but these are all very un-Dean like. He is an old-school guy with old-school values, no way Dean would have let some of this stuff go.
    I do not like those antics. I have hated the fact that UNC home crowds have always been less than animated at times ("wine and cheese"). I have wanted to see more from them. I am glad Matt Doherty finally put the students on the floor level. On the other hand I liked the way Dean Smith handled his players. With Dean Smith the players were always reserved. He would bench players for putting on antics. My goodness, I have seen Dean Smith stand up during home games and motion for the fans behind the goal to have a seat while the opposing team shot free throws. He always said he wanted his team to win the games without benefit of any other influences. That way there would be no doubt as to why they won. I do think Roy leaves a bit more room for the players to prance around and sometimes it goes too far. Of course as long as there is no face to face taunting I suppose I can live with it, barely.
    Last edited by Chris4UNC; 05-09-2010 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    DITTO. Even when we dont win championships, we still compete at a high level, winning ACC tournaments, 25-30 games a year. We have a coach who can max out his players over the course of a season.
    I am not worried in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    DITTO. Even when we dont win championships, we still compete at a high level, winning ACC tournaments, 25-30 games a year. We have a coach who can max out his players over the course of a season.
    ACC Tournament titles are great, yes. Duke and UNC have won 34 or so (17 each I think.) of the things! Both programs are better than most when they are "down". This past season for UNC and a 1st round NCAA loss a couple or so seasons ago by Duke left me baffled. Yeah, you can see the reasons but still it was unexpected. But nevertheless even after last season UNC will be discussed in the mix as a great team. The so called down years that Duke has had recently did not leave them out of that conversation either, as they should not have. We are fortunate to pull for such storied programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    Kong 123 is right on the money. The HC at Ch Hill is often a loose canon. He needs to think before he speaks but that might be something he just isn't able to do. The "F" bomb during a pressor, the reference to his life as a millionaire being similar to the less fortuate populous of Haiti, his clandestine recruiting practices and the "sudden" departure of the left coast twins. I am so glad we have Coach K and so happy they have ol' roy.
    I'll say it again....They will fair better in another program. What it comes down to is that "Dad" wasn't satisfied with their playing time. Plus with more players coming to UNC that will better suit Roy Williams offensive style I am sure that it was becoming obvious that the Wear boys would still be coming off the bench. I wish them well. I don't think UNC will suffer terribly from their absence, though now UNC"s height depth will be left with only Zeller and Henson at 7' each. But that is ok. Neither of Roy's 3 final four teams and 2 national championship teams at UNC have had a 7 footer figuring prominently in the scheme anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd Dukie View Post
    POTD, Greybeard!
    This says it all.
    Amen! Well said! Often we forget these kids are in fact kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Well, thing is, that lineup looks good from a high school recruiting ranking standpoint, but to me it's not really a winning lineup. They have a shot-blocking presence, but both of their big men should be relatively easy for anyone of bulk to push around. With those two plus three starting freshmen, they are going to have major defensive problems.

Assuming a timeshare between Marshall and LDII, their other depth is essentially Strickland and Graves, unless McDonald can suddenly become a player. Personally, I don't think Marshall is going to start over LDII, but either way the problem with UNC's talented lineup is they don't have the right PG to take advantage of the strengths of their other players. With those two running the point and without frontcourt depth it's going to be difficult to maintain the running style which is really their only hope to overachieve.

I think NC State is now clearly better than UNC. The Heels will be fighting to finish in the middle of the pack in the ACC.

There, did I make up for it?
    "The Heels will be fighting to finish in the middle of the pack in the ACC."....of course you would think that. Hey, thanks for the unbiased assesment. "....which is really their only hope to overachieve."...now I really liked that one. So anything good they do would be an overachievement? You know, this past season I took up for your Devils when I heard others say, "Oh they are good but they won't win it all." There was an argument out there about the "overachieving" Blue Devils this year. Of course Duke managed to throw a pie in all their faces. UNC was expected to win in 2009 and did so winning every game with little drama. 2005 was not such a given. Duke's 2010 title was not exactly a given but I would not say they overachieved. They were much to my dissappointment a great team.

college basketball season is over

Hey, how about some football!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I see it as a combination of

a.) Recruiting misses - Drew, McDonald, and Strickland have not developed as well as expected. Sometimes this just happens, and isn't necessarily the fault of the persons evaluating the players in high school. It has happened to us as well (not going to mention any names here but you get my point).

b.) Injuries - Especially this past year, but in 2009 Zeller also missed a lot of time which hindered his development. Say what you will about all teams having injuries, but UNC in 2010 really did have a ton to deal with.

c.) Chemistry - Also a hard thing to predict. The team just hasn't jelled, and part of that is definitely Roy's responsibility.

d.) Coaching - As we all love to point out, Roy sticks to his run-and-gun style even when he doesn't have the personnel to match. To be fair, Coach K has principles that he sticks to as well, such as man-to-man defense, but he's shown far more ability to adapt and tweak his system. Roy has always had elite talent, and 2010 might be an indicator of how well he does without it.

Again, these things go in cycles. The class of Hansbrough, Lawson, and Ellington exceeded their rankings and also stuck around a year longer than expected, which covered up a lot of deficiencies. UNC will be back, but for now I'm loving it!
    Very fair. I agree with you on every one of your points. Next season is going to be interesting for so many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4UNC View Post
    Very fair. I agree with you on every one of your points. Next season is going to be interesting for so many reasons.
    Chris-just read through all your recent posts. Very thoughtful/insightful. Great to have another fair, sensible, rational visitor here from the "enemy" camp.

This is not the first time Roy Williams threw a kid under the bus. Tom Izzo and the Delvon Roe family will concur:

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index...ams_criti.html

http://noise.typepad.com/hey_joe/200...n-and-roy.html
    Last edited by blueduke59; 05-09-2010 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Found link to Roe's father's side of the story

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4UNC View Post
    I'll say it again....They will fair better in another program. What it comes down to is that "Dad" wasn't satisfied with their playing time. Plus with more players coming to UNC that will better suit Roy Williams offensive style I am sure that it was becoming obvious that the Wear boys would still be coming off the bench. I wish them well. I don't think UNC will suffer terribly from their absence, though now UNC"s height depth will be left with only Zeller and Henson at 7' each. But that is ok. Neither of Roy's 3 final four teams and 2 national championship teams at UNC have had a 7 footer figuring prominently in the scheme anyway.
    You keep assuming that the Wear's are a daddy problem. Because "Dad" made the call is not a reasonable basis to assume that it is a daddy problem. It is equally, and IMO even more likely, that the boys had a serious problems with their situation. It is also not unreasonable that they felt a fear in dealing with their coach - who had been less than charitable and often aggressive in his public verbal dealings about his players. Might the coaches verbalization been worse one on one?

I think the unc interior deficiencies - already bad last year - will be a greater problem next year. Referring back to the coaches prior successful teams' interior players is entirely irrelevant.

IMO, your characterizations is putting lipstick on a pig.

Whatever happens next year with the holes cannot possibly be as bad as this year when the team quit, the coach blamed the players and Ol' Roy was powerless to do anything but make an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. out of himself. Another embarrassing year and Ol' Roy will have lost much of his luster and could impact recruiting. This is a big year for Ol' Roy and I'm sure Ol' Roy knows it. I think they'll be better, just having lost that loser Ed Davis, but Thompson's loss is significant.

Quote Originally Posted by kong123 View Post
    Most of you guys are friendly while some of you just hate my guts because of the team I pull for. Thats fine, I am guilty of that myself at times. In the end, I enjoy posting here. Whether it is nice to get a different perspective or whether I just enjoy defending my little sandbar while the tide rapidly comes in, I come back everyday.
    Nobody hates you man. This is just basketball. We love our team, you love yours. Both sides have our reasons to root for and root against. Anyone on either side that flat out "hates" other teams or other teams' fans is clueless about life.