Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Great to see Renfree come back but man, is he taking some shots! Come on, O-line!

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
    Great to see Renfree come back but man, is he taking some shots! Come on, O-line!
    part of it is VT secondary has stepped it up...
    1200. DDMF.

NOT the way to end the half! Good lord, what was that defensive scheme? Could he have been MORE wide open? Seriously??? What a horrible turnaround - bad throw by Renfree takes away what looked to at least be a good shot at a FG and we give up 7 on the other end in one da** play

NOT the way to end the half! Good lord, what was that defensive scheme? Could he have been MORE wide open? Seriously??? What a horrible turnaround - bad throw by Renfree takes away what looked to at least be a good shot at a FG and we give up 7 on the other end in one da** play
    No way around it. Anywhere from a 10-14 point turnaround in the last minute of the 2nd half and the momentum is all VT. Cut needs to settle the team down at the half, get them back to playing fearlessly like they did in the first quarter, and remind them that it's a 30 minute ballgame and they are still in a position to walk out of Blacksburg with the win.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    No way around it. Anywhere from a 10-14 point turnaround in the last minute of the 2nd half and the momentum is all VT. Cut needs to settle the team down at the half, get them back to playing fearlessly like they did in the first quarter, and remind them that it's a 30 minute ballgame and they are still in a position to walk out of Blacksburg with the win.
    Time for that patented Duke 2nd half clamp down.

If we don't get some points here, this game has the potential to get out of hand.

Duke is getting beat again on both sides of the line -- just like first half last week. This game has the potential to get real ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    If we don't get some points here, this game has the potential to get out of hand.
    So, we were up by 20 to start the game and now...it looks like we might lose by 20. Whatever confidence we had is gone now. I was worried about our corners' ability to cover people. VT QB making us look silly. Gotta get something going offensively to stop their momentum here or this one is over, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie is still king View Post
    Are we simply better than VPI??
    Apparently NO

Serious question here: Why do our kick returners catch the ball at like the 2 or three yard line and try to run it out? Doesn't a touchback mean we get it at the 25 now?

Serious question here: Why do our kick returners catch the ball at like the 2 or three yard line and try to run it out? Doesn't a touchback mean we get it at the 25 now?
    how do you get a touchback from the 2 yard line?

you can only get a touchback from inside the endzone
    1200. DDMF.

Yes, and while the game was closer, the middle 2 or 3 VT kickoffs, they let it go. However, being down by 11, its worth the shot to try and break one. At the beginning of the game, they tried to run it out, had little success, then started letting the ball touchback, but now they have to try and make something happen. It's a small chance to take, since Duncan is probably going to get it near the 20.

Virginia Tech is a better football team than us. There's a reason they were ranked so highly before the season.

Unfortunately, for the remainder of the season, we're going to play better football teams. In this one we had our chances and didn't put em under when we had the chance and VT made us pay for it.

anything is possible of course, but i would be shocked if we got back in this game, a little early to start looking at some positives maybe, but that's where I am with it. Logan Thomas is the best athlete on the field and he's showing it on every other play at least.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

that ball will bounce in the endzone/through it making it an automatic touchback. That's what he meant by that I think.

that ball will bounce in the endzone/through it making it an automatic touchback. That's what he meant by that I think.
    gotcha....you can't risk that on a kickoff, though, where the kicking team can recover
    1200. DDMF.

Yes, I know that! I was wondering why our returners don't let it bounce and roll into the endzone for a touchback. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Yes, I know that! I was wondering why our returners don't let it bounce and roll into the endzone for a touchback. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    ah. gotcha.

either way, you can't take the risk that it bounces back the other direction and the kicking team recovers.
    1200. DDMF.

Virginia Tech is a better football team than us. There's a reason they were ranked so highly before the season.

Unfortunately, for the remainder of the season, we're going to play better football teams. In this one we had our chances and didn't put em under when we had the chance and VT made us pay for it.
    You called it. A lot of people got excited over the way the Hokies played last week and way Duke played in the 2nd half last week. I think both were aberrations (the latter not so much by Duke, but by UVA). I am surprised, though, at how completely Duke has imploded in this second half.

ah. gotcha.

either way, you can't take the risk that it bounces back the other direction and the kicking team recovers.
    Not really a concern based on the trajectory of the kick, punts are a little different, of course those are the risks. But with duncan catching it at the 2 yard line in his numbers, the ball's going to bounce in the endzone as opposed to the one.

Wow, we're reduced to talking about touchbacks and whether or not to take one. Damn Hokies.

Not looking good now. Tech is rolling and our offense has become nonexistent. Down two TDs, punting to VT to start the fourth. Maybe next week? More likely scenario is that we go into the Georgia Tech game still looking for that 6th win. Hopefully I'm wrong and we either come back today or upset UNC. But my guess is that we'll need that Georgia Tech game to get to 6.

We're Heading in the "Right" Direction

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Not looking good now. Tech is rolling and our offense has become nonexistent. Down two TDs, punting to VT to start the fourth. Maybe next week? More likely scenario is that we go into the Georgia Tech game still looking for that 6th win. Hopefully I'm wrong and we either come back today or upset UNC. But my guess is that we'll need that Georgia Tech game to get to 6.
    Time to clutch at straws: all scores have been to the endzone on the right (south?). Isn't that so? Now it's our turn.

sagegrouse