Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA Playoffs

Quote Originally Posted by darjum View Post
    Also, who said Phil Jackson will merge with the force, don't recall many Duke players on his rosters over the years and one ultra famous Tar Heel...sounds like the Dark Side to me
    I'm not sure these guys are "ultra famous." Oh, wait...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also, who said Phil Jackson will merge with the force, don't recall many Duke players on his rosters over the years and one ultra famous Tar Heel...sounds like the Dark Side to me
    Indeed, not a single Duke player has ever suited up for a Phil Jackson coached team. Sort of interesting, from a random statistical tidbit point of view.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

The older, veteran teams really struggled this weekend. Lakers lost, Spurs lost, Celtics barely won. I suspect they will all win their series though. Oh yeah, Dallas has some old guys - Kidd is like 50 - and they won by 8.

It could be a lack of energy or maybe they needed a wakeup after a long regular season, but the age factor seemd to be common in the weekend upsets and near upsets.

No argument from me. I always found it odd that Roy Williams is described as being born on third base -- twice -- with his opportunities at Kansas and UNC, but Phil Jackson is treated as some sort of demigod despite inheriting the NBA equivalent.

Has he shown remarkable coaching skill in doing what he's done over the years, and winning titles with such frequency? Absolutely. I just think there's more skill in creating a champion from the ground up, and he hasn't ever faced that challenge.

A neat little tidbit from Marc Stein of ESPN.com regarding Shane's game-winner yesterday and his thoughts on the Grizzlies' future (he thinks they're "one big guy short" of contending):
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...zzspurs-110417

I don't watch much NBA, but I'm watching a little of the Ind@Chi game.
    I love watching all the Dukies.

Interestingly, I just saw something I have never seen while watching a college game.

Hansblahblah just got called for a travel! I had never seen that before!
    Wow! NBA, where amazing happens, indeed!

I am in Austin and my Rockets are bad, so I don't watch a ton of NBA these days. I've watched 20 minutes of this Bulls-Pacers game, though, and it's clear that anyone that can appreciate the college game and not the NBA game makes no sense to me. I am not talking personalities or any of that intangible stuff. I am talking about the basketball. The NBA is so much more WATCHABLE to the average person. Everyone is so good. The mid range game we freak out over in the college game when someone has it is par for the course in the NBA.

So I understand the nostalgia and the intangible aspect of the college game, and why people like that better. But, and this is probably stating the obivous for most, 20 minutes in the 3rd quarter of one playoff game makes it clear that the NBA is of exponentially higher quality. Doesn't hurt that 5 Duke guys may play in this game and Hansblahblah got called for a charge, of course.

Edited to add: Kurt Thomas and Jeff Foster hitting those back to back shot just shows you how good all of these guys are. Those guys are not good offensive players.

Edited further to add: TJ!! Hook 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I am in Austin and my Rockets are bad, so I don't watch a ton of NBA these days. I've watched 20 minutes of this Bulls-Pacers game, though, and it's clear that anyone that can appreciate the college game and not the NBA game makes no sense to me. I am not talking personalities or any of that intangible stuff. I am talking about the basketball. The NBA is so much more WATCHABLE to the average person. Everyone is so good. The mid range game we freak out over in the college game when someone has it is par for the course in the NBA.

So I understand the nostalgia and the intangible aspect of the college game, and why people like that better. But, and this is probably stating the obivous for most, 20 minutes in the 3rd quarter of one playoff game makes it clear that the NBA is of exponentially higher quality. Doesn't hurt that 5 Duke guys may play in this game and Hansblahblah got called for a charge, of course.

Edited to add: Kurt Thomas and Jeff Foster hitting those back to back shot just shows you how good all of these guys are. Those guys are not good offensive players.

Playoff basketball is excellent. Better when lots of Duke guys on the floor. Regular season basketball is not that watchable- games really are only about the last few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    No argument from me. I always found it odd that Roy Williams is described as being born on third base -- twice -- with his opportunities at Kansas and UNC, but Phil Jackson is treated as some sort of demigod despite inheriting the NBA equivalent.

Has he shown remarkable coaching skill in doing what he's done over the years, and winning titles with such frequency? Absolutely. I just think there's more skill in creating a champion from the ground up, and he hasn't ever faced that challenge.
    Anybody could have guided the 1984 Albany Patroons to a championship. I mean, they had Andre Gaddy.

http://www.chuckthewriter.com/patroons/pats05.html

Bulls-Pacers wasn't the cleanest game, but it was definitely exciting down the stretch. I like how the Pacers play -- uptempo, dynamic in the halfcourt, lots of cuts and good shooters. Of particular note, I loved how Dunleavy played. He won't attract many highlight cameras, but he was setting people up left and right, and he also drained a big three. I think if his body hadn't betrayed him the past few years, he probably would be a pretty prominent player. Mike's a free agent this year, and I can't see how someone won't view him as a useful player.

My Thunder. I love the Thunder. Young team with lots of upside. They have the talent to get out of the West maybe not this year. Big Russell Westbrook fan. A athletic point guard who is clutch. Durant's the real deal. Love his attitude too not cocky. Also think that this young team is exciting to watch. So the second half last night. Played against some Tar Heels too in Felton and Lawson. Go Thunder. Also love Darren Collison of the Pacers. But, Thunder my new favorite NBA Team. Used to be the Jazz. Still waiting on the promise of Derrick Favors? Does anybody think that Favors and Hayward will be a potential franchise players?? All Star Talent or role players???

Talking Thunder a Big Deal in OK

Quote Originally Posted by pless55 View Post
    My Thunder. I love the Thunder. Young team with lots of upside. They have the talent to get out of the West maybe not this year. Big Russell Westbrook fan. A athletic point guard who is clutch. Durant's the real deal. Love his attitude too not cocky. Also think that this young team is exciting to watch. So the second half last night. Played against some Tar Heels too in Felton and Lawson. Go Thunder. Also love Darren Collison of the Pacers. But, Thunder my new favorite NBA Team. Used to be the Jazz. Still waiting on the promise of Derrick Favors? Does anybody think that Favors and Hayward will be a potential franchise players?? All Star Talent or role players???
    I took a business trip to Oklahoma last week. (Yep, the site I visited had a twister come by the previous day -- no damage but great video.) On previous trips, as we started meetings, I would usually ask, "Sooners or Cowboys?" because everyone there has a preference, and it helps break the ice. I now hear that the Thunder is a reason for the state to back one team and rise above the bitter rivalries of college athletics. A couple of people also mentioned "good guys" as a description of the players.

sagegrouse

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post

I think you're right. I am much more of a college fan than NBA and a lot of that came from the post Showtime Lakers-Celtics era when defense dominated (Bad boy pistons, Riley's Knicks) and it was all clutch and grab, and then when the league became all matchup one-on-one for part of the 90s. I think the league has become much more entertaining to watch in the past few years as ball movement and offense have returned. I am too engrained as a college fan now, but I do appreciate the pro game.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I think you're right. I am much more of a college fan than NBA and a lot of that came from the post Showtime Lakers-Celtics era when defense dominated (Bad boy pistons, Riley's Knicks) and it was all clutch and grab, and then when the league became all matchup one-on-one for part of the 90s. I think the league has become much more entertaining to watch in the past few years as ball movement and offense have returned. I am too engrained as a college fan now, but I do appreciate the pro game.
    It was much more those Knicks teams than it was the Pistons. Remember the Pistons still averaged 106 and 104 points per game in their championship years. Yes, those teams played aggressive defense, but they also could transfer it to offense and easy baskets because of Isiah. The Knicks took NBA basketball and made it unwatchable for a portion of time.

I also agree with the post you quoted. Anyone who is still bashing the NBA is either doing for the unspoken reason most people do, or they just don't like basketball to begin with.

The NBA is so much more watchable because like the other poster said, the player are just so good at basketball. They make 20 foot jump shots like they are layups.

In minds eye the college game is less about skill than about determination and atmosphere. Granted not every college team is equal, but you will find more heart in most college games than in the majority of NBA regular season games. Don't get me wrong, I love the NBA too, but college hoops are special.

The NBA has gotten a lot better in recent years, probably the best it's been since the late 80s. In fact, back then, you had maybe 3 or 4 really good teams with Hall of Famers, and this year you have eight. This may be the most entertaining playoffs of all time. But enjoy it now; this year is it. After the lockout, the league will be breaking up the super teams, and a long list of Hall of Famers will be done or almost done (Duncan, Shaq, KG, Pierce, Allen, Kobe, Kidd, Nowitzki) so have fun
    this year. You won's see this again for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Spret42 View Post
    The Knicks took NBA basketball and made it unwatchable for a portion of time.
    This. Aside from the occasional Bulls game, the NBA was really hard to watch from about 1994-2000 or so. It's come a long way since then, though. The regular season is still a slog because it's too long, but the playoffs are terrific.

And if any of us are being honest with ourselves, we have to admit that the quality of play in college bball has declined dramatically over the last 20 years. Early entry has just butchered the college game. The intensity of the college game remains superior to the NBA, but if it wasn't for my personal investment in the Duke team I'd probably never watch the college game at all. Even with our '11 team, which was one of the best in the country, I can only count about 4-5 games that were well-played by BOTH teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Spret42 View Post
    It was much more those Knicks teams than it was the Pistons. Remember the Pistons still averaged 106 and 104 points per game in their championship years. Yes, those teams played aggressive defense, but they also could transfer it to offense and easy baskets because of Isiah. The Knicks took NBA basketball and made it unwatchable for a portion of time.

I also agree with the post you quoted. Anyone who is still bashing the NBA is either doing for the unspoken reason most people do, or they just don't like basketball to begin with.

The NBA is so much more watchable because like the other poster said, the player are just so good at basketball. They make 20 foot jump shots like they are layups.
    Your final two statements are dead-on.

I'm a Knicks fan, so I find myself forced to defend them from a position of disadvantage. =) While fully admitting they had a deleterious effect on the whole with their physical brand of defense -- leading to figurative and sometimes literal slugfests with the Heat, which while inartistic were still high theater -- the overall level of play of the NBA stayed pretty high through most of the Ewing years, in large part due to Michael Jordan and the Bulls. Those Bulls teams were magnificent, and the playoffs were always tremendous.

Even after the Knicks screwed stuff up, you still had Vince Carter, Iverson and the Lakers keeping stuff exciting. I remember Bucks-Sixers in 2001 being a tremendous series -- Iverson spit blood inside his jersey so the refs couldn't see and make him come out! -- and I used to love the Nets-Celtics series back then.

All that said, I can't deny the Knicks eventually had a negative effect on the league, but the post-Jordan hangover (which includes his years on the Bullets) had just as much a negative effect, if not more. Not to mention, the league's always in better shape when the they have a good team in the New York market, and the Knicks happened to be much better when they were beating everyone up with Oakley and Mason.

The Bulls and Heat are both up 2-0. I will be interested to see if the Celtics can keep pace or if they wind up allowing NY to make them sweat. The C's, at their age, probably dont want a 6-7 game series. They need to TCB.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post

And if any of us are being honest with ourselves, we have to admit that the quality of play in college bball has declined dramatically over the last 20 years. Early entry has just butchered the college game. The intensity of the college game remains superior to the NBA, but if it wasn't for my personal investment in the Duke team I'd probably never watch the college game at all. Even with our '11 team, which was one of the best in the country, I can only count about 4-5 games that were well-played by BOTH teams.
    These are all good points. I like the college game very much, in large part because I went to Duke, but almost every playoff game this spring has been extremely compelling. Granted, UConn-Butler left a bad taste for the NCAA that Duke-Butler didn't, but the point would be the same regardless.