Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2012 Carolina Panthers

someone slap me...i have hope...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Interesting year in store for the Panthers. TB appears bad. Atl, in my mind, will be tough to beat. Saints without a coach, who knows. Cam Newton as a soph? Vincent Jackson opposite Steve Smith. Fantasy draft coming up this week, may have to take a Panther or two. I'll be surprised if Atlanta doesn't contend for a Super Bowl berth. Of course, I'll be pulling for my 'Boys

I have high hopes for the Panthers offense to be one of the best in the NFL. That's assuming 2 things:
    1) Return to form for the Panthers rushing attack.
    2) Cam Newton is at least as good as last season.

With that offense clicking, the Panthers need the defense to just be average to be a playoff contender. Last season was the perfect storm of terrible injuries to critical positions, and a defense learning a whole new system. If (IF IF IF IF IF) the Panthers can stay healthy on defense, particularly in the linebacking corps, around which the defense is built, they could be at least average, maybe better.

Looking at their schedule, 10-6 looks like a good year. If they finish there, and number 2 in the NFC South, they'll be in the playoffs.

cats not able to close escrow on first drive...cam had and off tackle run that coulda been good but he elected to split the defender and got caught...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Jonathan Stewart's injury looks to be minor. Good. The Panthers need to have a good rushing attack to have a more consistent offense. Still, the offense wasn't the problem last year and isn't likely to be one this year. Nice to see the defense show up strong against the Jets.

looked like we might get tebowed there at the very end....good defense and, oh yeah...it was TEBOW...lol

the "promise" of the panther's showed yesterday....the play calling in general ("trick" handoff) was much better than the tampa bay game... They actually got a running game going...

defense made brees uncomfortable all afternoon, but at the end, as all good panther fans know....it's never over till the clock says 00:00

great win for the cats...oh, and the bucs and the pats go down as well...

now if peyton can just trounce the dirty birds tonight, the conference will look better...

go cats!!

It was a much, much better performance all around by the Panthers. Also, the Bucs may be a heck of a lot better than I thought they would be...they may have gotten beaten by the Giants, but they took NY to the wire in NY.

They need to keep emphasizing that running game. Cam is a weapon, but we can't rely on him to be a one-man show.

Another big game on Thursday night, welcoming the G-Men to Carolina.

As an aside, after so many injuries, it's great to see Thomas Davis playing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    As an aside, after so many injuries, it's great to see Thomas Davis playing so well.
    true!! one down side....was it me, or did the stadium look half empty.?

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    At kickoff, it definitely looked half empty. Reports on sports radio this morning said the new security procedures to enter the stadium could possibly be to blame. Apparently, as everyone is entering the stadium from the surrounding parking lots, they try to enter through the same entry points, creating long lines and huge backups. There is nobody spreading out the crowd in order to evenly distribute the lines and speed up entry.

After the Saint's first drive, I thought we were in store for a long afternoon. Glad they made the right adjustments. I'm so glad to see the running game working. When we abandoned it in Tampa Bay, I knew the game was over. Seeing Smitty carted off was scary - glad it was only cramps.

It normally takes a bit to get into the stadium if you wait until 12:40 or later but Sunday was longer because so many people had their ponchos on and had to either take them off or be patted down. The fair weather folks weren't to blame for most of the empties - it was the home opener in a much anticipated season, fans just couldn't get to their seats because of the log jam trying to get in. That, and the fact that most people I know like to visit with friends and socialize at halftime make it so the stadium looks sparse right as the second half kicks off as well.

Good game overall, seems like Cam was more free to kind of do what he wanted as the defense dictated. I liked the fake pass play, mainly because it worked! That's one that could have looked more like the 4th and inches that didn't convert if things hadn't gone so well.

Great to see Lafell have a HUGE day. Us Panther fans are totally spoiled with Smitty though - when Lafell ran the end-around for 25 or so yards I could only think to myself "if that were Steve he would have taken it to the house." Steve did, however, get caught from behind when he was wide open...hopefully that's because of the cramping and not due to age.

Plenty more to go over - The Run Defense still looked bad at times, athletic TE's like Graham (nobody's LIKE Graham) are going to get theirs against us this year, Joe Adams secured the ball first and foremost but he does a lot of dancing where he can potentially lose yards. In all it's great to see that this team might actually have what it takes to play at a high level and be a contender...lots of work and improvement still, and must stay healthy above all.

No, I believe they said on the radio that it was 95% full. The NFL has inserted new rules this year for NFL stadiums and one of which every person who enters has to go through a wand screening process. The screening only takes a few seconds but when you got 60+ thousand people it can hold things up. They recommend your attempt to get in no later than 12:15 for a 1 o clock game .

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    No, I believe they said on the radio that it was 95% full. The NFL has inserted new rules this year for NFL stadiums and one of which every person who enters has to go through a wand screening process. The screening only takes a few seconds but when you got 60+ thousand people it can hold things up. They recommend your attempt to get in no later than 12:15 for a 1 o clock game .
    ok...i get that...but how come you never see that at lambeau? or a giants game? or gillette?

Keep in mind that the Carolina Panthers fans are also largely UNC Tarheel fans. Is there a crowd in the world that more reliably leaves a football game early?

ok...i get that...but how come you never see that at lambeau? or a giants game? or gillette?
    It just started this year and I heard that almost all the games were like this in some form.

Because those are all crazy tailgating places where a healthy percentage of the crowd is there by 9 am eating and getting their drink on. They are also places that have been uber popular and selling out since before the Panthers were a team, so the fans and staff (well, except the Pats, but they've been doing it longer than the Panthers have) have become as efficient as possible at getting in and out.

seems the panthers have merged with the Hoover corporation tonight...

that was REALLLLLY ugly...

cats got some work to do...

that was REALLLLLY ugly...

cats got some work to do...
    For the third straight game, Carolina's offense got off to a slow start and looked clueless once we got down.
    For the third straight game, the defense gave up a touchdown on the opening drive.
    For the second time in 3 games, we gave up a TO on special teams.
    Our newly drafted PR had not one, but two of those TO's.
    Our newly drafted Kicker has attempted 1 FG, and that was from over 50 yards.

Hats off to the Giants; they made the Panthers look absolutely silly in their own backyard. We were just thoroughly unprepared and outmanned. Reminded me of Duke/FSU back in the day. Our corner made a 4th string receiver look like a pro-bowler, and our linebackers let a backup RB and a guy we cut a few years ago run for over 100 yards and two TDs. Granted, Eli had a lot to do with that, but if you have a competent QB with all day to throw, you're going to get picked apart. Even when they ran, the Panthers seemed unable to tackle.

Interesting that without Stewart, DeAngelo looks pretty ordinary. Apparently they don't trust him as a checkdown receiver, as he came out on every third down play.

Given what I've seen so far, the Panthers will be lucky to finish 6-10 this year.
    "There can BE only one."

The Grantland article on Marty Hurney's performance as the Panther's GM is a must read for Panther's fans:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...competent-best

I would like to say we will get 6 wins, but even that is not a given. I'd say we have a good shot at KC and Oak, but outside of that, certainly no easy wins. Not being able to slow down the other team's running game is going to hurt.